Acura teases new performance EV for Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 09:01 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura teases new performance EV for Monterey

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/08/09/...-for-monterey/Acura

Acura is headed to Monterey Car Week with what it's calling a "next generation" performance concept. While Honda's premium subsidiary offered up no details about the car itself, we were offered the above teaser photo. Acura says it will be a "segment defying" sport utility vehicle, but what we're seeing here looks awfully trunk-like. From this perspective, it's really anybody's guess, but one thing is obvious: Whatever this thing is, it's no mere ZDX offshoot. Here's Acura's announcement in its entirety, should you be interested in parsing it yourself:

"Acura will once again take center stage during Monterey Car Week for the world debut of an exciting new concept vehicle. A segment defying sport utility vehicle, the dynamically styled concept previews the performance brand's next generation all-electric model – the first to be built in Ohio on the company's new dedicated EV platform."

The most significant takeaway here is that last bit. Being on a new dedicated platform means that this car has nothing to do with the current Honda-Acura EV offerings, both of which are based on architecture shared with General Motors. Honda has already announced that it will migrate its mainstream EVs to a new, in-house "0 Series" platform in the coming years, with an initial focus on passenger vehicles followed by expansion into people-mover territory. We've yet to hear anything concrete about a parallel program at Acura, so this could very well be the first breadcrumbs to that effect.

For now, that's all Acura has to offer. Keep your ears to the ground during Car Week for more.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,190 Posts
Acura/Honda has done this type of move before with:
Isuzu Oasis: Honda Odyssey
Isuzu Rodeo: Honda Passport
Isuzu Trooper: Acura SLX

I imagine the future "performance EV" was Acura's long-term intention to replace the 2nd Gen EV ZDX all along. Hopefully, Acura isn't too late to the party to get a foothold into the market. Seems like folks are shying away from EVs for PHEV and non-plug in hybrids first because of lack of EV infrastructure, higher EV cost, long-ish recharging time, and EV range anxiety (especially at higher speeds and/or heavy loads). Acura sometimes wraps outstanding technology in an average to slightly above average interiors/exterior designs. Give me an EV with +500 mile range combined on a 20-30 minute charge and I would have one in my driveway (I've gone +450 miles several times in my MDX Sport Hybrid).
Old 08-09-2024, 10:15 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
Their business briefing spoke of two 2-row inhouse EV SUVs plus the saloon in 2026, and a 3row in 2027.

My guess is one of the 2026 ones will be a performance model.
Old 08-09-2024, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,432 Likes on 1,880 Posts
LOL "segment defying sport utility vehicle"? I'm utterly shocked Acura marketing is grossly overselling again.
Old 08-09-2024, 12:01 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,963 Likes on 2,643 Posts
What's an Acura? Never heard of them.
The following users liked this post:
mrmako (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,196 Likes on 3,657 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
LOL "segment defying sport utility vehicle"? I'm utterly shocked Acura marketing is grossly overselling again.
fify
Old 08-09-2024, 06:23 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
Funny how Honda doesn't sell the Acura over in Japan. Toyota really established Lexus as a premium brand there, after starting out with Lexus models with Toyota badging (The last model Toyota Soarer was an Lexus SC300 for example). Honda can't seem to get it right. Nissan gave up on the Infiniti brand but sells them as Nissans over there (the Skyline vice the Q50).