Is Acura Over-rated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura is not over-rated. I think it has earned a great reputation out here because of the value of it. My 05 tl 6mt is great. It was 33gs, has the same interior size as a 5 series, faster than a 530, better gas mileage, many thousands less, cheap to maintain, etc.. Im 6'2 and have room to spare in the tl. Somehow i feel cramped in my friends 530 when i drive it. Its a manual but just isnt as fun to drive as my tl. Maybe you have to drive it a certain way but i just dont like it. You cant shift too fast, it feels a lot heavier, has this bs i-drive, costs like 3x the amount to maintain( oil change, trans flush, change coolant, spark plugs =1300 from dealer). The tires wear out faster because they cant be rotated (staggered set up comes stock). His car has gremlins that come and go and is at the dealer quite a bit. Everyone talks about chrysler 300 (upgraded dodge charger) hemi this hemi that but those cars are really heavy, bad gas mileage, no manual option, not that fast for 400+ horsepower, feels really cheap, look weird, etc.. Audi cars are nice but really expensive once you get them optioned like a tl. 2.0t is slow (stock). V6 is better but still is heavy. Even with quattro it doesnt seem to handle as good as the tl. Same as bmw cant be shifted too fast. I worked on a lot of the previous gen a4s and the interior parts were always deteriorating. Oh and all german manual seats are a pita to adjust. They always drove me crazy. I got the tl because i thought it was the best value in the price range. I tested a lot of cars even some a lot more expensive but nothing got me like the tl. IMO it will still look good in 10 years, be a fun car to drive, and be relatively cheap to maintain.

The most over-rated cars in my opinion are entry level german cars. The mags talk about rwd, awd handling but in their tests against the tl, they come up short and get worse mileage. I dont get it.

How about the american cars. The so-called luxury brands are garbage IMO. Look at older cars on the road. How many 10 year old lincoln, buick, chrysler, cadillac, etc cars do you see on the road? I drive a lot for work and its amazing comparing the amounts of tls, cls, rls, integras, versus the americans.

Ill stick with my over-rated, fun to drive, cheaply maintained, high resale value acura.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

OP on the link posted used "vtech" = no credibility
Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

hows about this i chip an turbo my 94 integra and race the 2.0T and then see who wins. if you are going to compare audis then you should compare the 3.2T or the audi A6's based on weight and weel base dimensions.

the only decent and reliable car company is honda. so in turn acura gets the automatic reliability sticker. it is unfortuanate that the stigma about acura is not carried over to its parent company honda. i am pretty sure that you couldn't say that honda is overhyped for adding leather to an accord or a civic. but you say it is overhyped if it is an acura. please that is just plain stupid.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

what car company first designed the variable vavle timing technology was it honda? as an inovator in the field of motor building i would have to put my money on the precision of honda motors. not just there base model motors but the type-s's and the type r's. if you are going to buy a car why not get the best bang for your buck. hence why i bought a type-s and not an audi or a toyota, or a ford, gm, lincolon, mercedes, bmw, so on and so on.

Acura will always be the blue color luxury brand that everybody can afford.

Last edited by mrproul; 04-24-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Race Director

my guess is no
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

^im digging your avatar, "DID YOU EAT ALL THESE LUNCHES?"
Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
A 2.0T flashed will at keep up to your "bolted" TL. And as for "bolted" do you mean modified TL's wtih only bolt on's? How much do those bolt ons run you in order to beat a 4 cylinder?

How much do you know about the 2.0T in all honesty?

Here's something to wet your whistle.... (apr reflash)

<table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="45%"><tbody><tr align="center" bgcolor="#666666"><td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="7%">Year</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="7%"> Model

</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="9%"> Engine

</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="15%">91 Octane
Chipped
</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="19%">93 Octane
Chipped
</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="11%">DirectPort
Available
</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="10%"> Price

</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td class="text9" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">2005-08</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="7%">
A4
</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom"> 2.0T

</td> <td class="text9" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="15%">232hp/273lb-ft</td> <td class="text9" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="19%">241hp/292lb-ft</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom" width="11%">Y</td> <td class="text9" valign="bottom"> $599.00

</td></tr></tbody></table>
How much torque does your TL put down again to your front wheels?
Pretty much all the VW/Audi turbo cars are detuned. My boss has a B7 A4 with the 2.0t and his is chipped. It feels as quick as my old b5 S4, at least from memory, as i don't have the s4 anymore.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
people don't give a shit about acuras anymore so they can't be over rated. for something to be over rated, someone has to think it's more than it is.

the fact is the acura brand has no soul now. the tl isn't a bad car at all but honestly when's the last time you heard/seen someone drooling over one.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Acura's not overrated. Not that many people I know want Acuras when I bring them up, hell, myself included. So I'd assume that they're underrated if anything. Besides the TL-S, Acura's current and future lineup looks plain, and the styling looks terrible... at least that grill does.

@ some of the responses in that thread
Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mrproul
hows about this i chip an turbo my 94 integra and race the 2.0T and then see who wins. if you are going to compare audis then you should compare the 3.2T or the audi A6's based on weight and weel base dimensions.

the only decent and reliable car company is honda. so in turn acura gets the automatic reliability sticker. it is unfortuanate that the stigma about acura is not carried over to its parent company honda. i am pretty sure that you couldn't say that honda is overhyped for adding leather to an accord or a civic. but you say it is overhyped if it is an acura. please that is just plain stupid.
My original comparison was between the 3.2 models of both vehicles.

I simply stated that I would opt for the 2.0T over the 3.2 B7. And that's because the 2.0T has so many tuning options available; whereas, the 3.2 B7 has pretty much none, unless you want to pay a lot of money.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
this thread is overrated.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Not really acuras are fine I just hope they don't screw up the new TL. The new TSX looks dumb and so does the new RL. If acura designed better looking cars then it would be great.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they're underrated, horrible marketing, but i still like acuras/hondas. they need to step up their game, but then again, they're catering to a niche so go figure...
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
I think the Acura cars are underrated- they aren't the first cars everyone puts on their must-try list, but the cars are a pretty good balance of performance, luxury features and value.

The Acura SUVs might be overrated, though, to the degree the MDX and RDX are hyped much more and the MDX is often on the luxo-SUV list.

And I agree with those that say Acura doesn't have a well-defined market image.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Pro

i think acura is overated. as a former honda/acura fan and lover, i have recently begun to turn on my beloved brand. i just see too many problems that span a large portion of honda models, mainly everything built after 1998. the tranny issue killed my TL and numerous friend's accords, pilots, etc. the new tsx and tl are very nice cars but i just get the feeling its a cheap FWD honda underneath the nice interior and flashy blue gauges.

i am now a big fan of lexus, rwd, v8 on lots of models, no lame transmission problems or anything like that. i would also buy an infiniti over acura now a days too. even though infiniti problems are on par with acura, they are usualy much cheaper in the used car market.

i for one, will not buy a honda/acura again. i have looked at possible MDX, tsx, RL, but everytime i see what the competition is, ls400, q45, 5 series bmw, i just see acura in a lesser light. acura has nice interiors, but weak power and fwd. i cant wait untill i get my ls400, one of the smoothest and nicely powered cars i have ever driven.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Pro

btw, whats with the new TSX looking like a chevy malibu.

yuck.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Trojanman750
i think acura is overated. as a former honda/acura fan and lover, i have recently begun to turn on my beloved brand. i just see too many problems that span a large portion of honda models, mainly everything built after 1998. the tranny issue killed my TL and numerous friend's accords, pilots, etc. the new tsx and tl are very nice cars but i just get the feeling its a cheap FWD honda underneath the nice interior and flashy blue gauges.

i am now a big fan of lexus, rwd, v8 on lots of models, no lame transmission problems or anything like that. i would also buy an infiniti over acura now a days too. even though infiniti problems are on par with acura, they are usualy much cheaper in the used car market.

i for one, will not buy a honda/acura again. i have looked at possible MDX, tsx, RL, but everytime i see what the competition is, ls400, q45, 5 series bmw, i just see acura in a lesser light. acura has nice interiors, but weak power and fwd. i cant wait untill i get my ls400, one of the smoothest and nicely powered cars i have ever driven.
i'm about the same as you, but i'd equally consider infiniti and lexus. no more honda/acura for me. my dad and gf hate honda anyways.