Acura coupe, baby MDX, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004 | 06:04 PM
Racer

All new Acura coupe, baby MDX, etc.

Dropped off the wife's TL for service last week. Was chatting with the service advisor about new models on their way. The assured the following as stated in a few of his management meetings:

1). A baby MDX will be available soon.

2) The new TL will soon be available in a hybrid form.

3) The new RL will be available in both gas engine only and hybrid formats.

4) The new NSX in coming soon (you all knew this).

And last but not least...

5) A totally new coupe is in the works, will offer 4WD, over 300 h.p., etc. They are still deciding wether to place it under the RL or TL model line up. He did not have a timefram, only that it will come. He also mentioned that the cost should be below 50K.

All sounds good to me...

Old 05-04-2004 | 06:32 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

What's good about a coupe under $50,000? I want a coupe at the same price point as the TL. Any car over the $35k retail amount is too much money for a car IMO.
BUT, If the coupe IS in the upper price range it better be damn good! with a working! tranny, no rattles, no cheap paint, real fogs, hi-end stereo with XM, distinctive pay-for styling, xenon hibeams, latest Navi/systems, real wood, premium leather, electric 4 way & tiltaway steering wheel, real sport suspension, real sport tires, real sunroof, LEDs everywhere, real brakes, and did I say? styling better be better than all the rest put together. No Accord looks should be allowed in a premium coupe.
Don't blow it Acura, if you want to set any marks in the premium coupe arena ever again. The TL is only about half way there, maybe a little more. The RL doesn't seem to quite be there stylewise from what I can tell. If the TL and the RL are precursors to a new coupe, they better notch it up quite a few more to get any serious premium coupe buyers. I have faith Acura can do it, if they really want it bad enough. over.
Old 05-04-2004 | 06:38 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
What's good about a coupe under $50,000? I want a coupe at the same price point as the TL. Any car over the $35k retail amount is too much money for a car IMO.
BUT, If the coupe IS in the upper price range it better be damn good! with a working! tranny, no rattles, no cheap paint, real fogs, hi-end stereo with XM, distinctive pay-for styling, xenon hibeams, latest Navi/systems, real wood, premium leather, electric 4 way & tiltaway steering wheel, real sport suspension, real sport tires, real sunroof, LEDs everywhere, real brakes, and did I say? styling better be better than all the rest put together. No Accord looks should be allowed in a premium coupe.
Don't blow it Acura, if you want to set any marks in the premium coupe arena ever again. The TL is only about half way there, maybe a little more. The RL doesn't seem to quite be there stylewise from what I can tell. If the TL and the RL are precursors to a new coupe, they better notch it up quite a few more to get any serious premium coupe buyers. I have faith Acura can do it, if they really want it bad enough. over.
Do you want a side of fries with that...
Old 05-04-2004 | 06:38 PM
What, me drive fast?

I agree, $35K for a nice coupe is around the right price. More than that and you are going to start excluding a LOT of potential buyers. I am losing a bit of faith in Acura/Honda with styling lately though. I hope that they don't mess it up.
Old 05-04-2004 | 07:50 PM
Pro

I agree with 35k since it has to compete with the G35c. At 50k it is in M3 and CL 430 territory where it wont win.
Old 05-04-2004 | 07:56 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

anything more than 35k....Acura just lost a customer......Honda would gain but Acura would loose
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:02 PM
I love my G sedan

Originally posted by 123456SPEED
Any car over the $35k retail amount is too much money for a car IMO.
In my opinion no car is worth more than $100k. All Ferraris and Lamborghinis are crazy. They are just cars, they can not fly.
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:14 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by dgracer
I agree with 35k since it has to compete with the G35c. At 50k it is in M3 and CL 430 territory where it wont win.
comparing a car that doesn't exist??
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Zapata
anything more than 35k....Acura just lost a customer......Honda would gain but Acura would loose
I'll go to 50K if it does all this:

My next car: 2008 Acura RL AWD COUPE w/ 325HP Hybrid engine & 6-Speed Manual
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:26 PM
Audi S4 driver

lol I dont think they'd care since the cash would go to the same company in the end

oh yeah and one more thing .. how bout something the CL lacked all its life .. a DECENT LOOKING BODY KIT!?
Old 05-04-2004 | 08:27 PM
Team Owner

And you guys are dreaming if you think any kind of luxury Acura Coupe is gonna be under 40K.
And that’s not even taking Hybrid technology or AWD into account.
Hell, the Accord Coupe is over 30 if you load up all the options.
And the CL-S retail was almost 35K four years ago.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:00 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

u guys are amazing

the legend LS 6spd coupe was almost $43K back in 92 ...ya'll have any idea how much that is now

"What cost $43000 in 1992 would cost $54554.44 in 2002"

source: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

so basically a fully loaded ack coupe now would run us $55k....plus it was fwd, had no navi, no vtec, no lsd, no xenon, no 10 way seats....etc

i know its apples 2 oranges but the point is that honda isnt looking 2 make the same mistake twice let alone thrice...i'm sure if they were 2 make a sporty v6 coupe, it would be done in such a away in which it makes the competition looks bad
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:01 PM
Race Director

I wanna see what the baby MDX looks like.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:07 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally posted by Shawn S
I'll go to 50K if it does all this:

My next car: 2008 Acura RL AWD COUPE w/ 325HP Hybrid engine & 6-Speed Manual
What a loyal Acura customer?

I'm sure Acura could pull it off but I think I'll be going to a competitor for my next vehicle. I'm not too happy about how the tranny situation is being handled.
Old 05-04-2004 | 09:10 PM
Pit Stop?

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
they can not fly.
I think some people would argue with you on that statement.
Old 05-04-2004 | 11:51 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Originally posted by Minch00
I think some people would argue with you on that statement.
I think you need another service advisor. Not sure he could be trusted.
Old 05-05-2004 | 12:11 AM
2ManyMiles

I'll be really interested in the weight distribution and chasis quality versus the new BMW 33xCi it'll face. Remember that the current 330Ci is easily over $40k loaded up.

I have faith that Acura will put out a badass coupe -- it just might be out of my price range. With the G35C sitting loaded at $35k, it's hard to wanna jump up much more.
Old 05-05-2004 | 12:31 AM
Pro

When I was talking to a sales mgr he said that the latest he had heard on changes included everything said in the original post except the coupe, instead saying that the RSX is going to go away and probably become a Honda, and that the coupe replacement for now is going to be a 2 dr TSX. I hope that Gabo3k is right and that we will once again get a real coupe, like the Legend.
Old 05-05-2004 | 01:12 AM
goldmemberererer

What's funny is that everyone bitches about how Acura has gone down in terms of quality (which which I agree) and that Acura's lineup needs to move further upscale (I hear that the RSX should go to Honda too often around here)... but when they're trying to move everything upscale, i.e. new RL and these rumors, you guys are talking about how it won't sell.

Maybe that move needs to be more gradual, sure. But don't shoot it down so easy.
Old 05-05-2004 | 01:22 AM
Suzuka Master

why would the rsx move to honda?

has rsx sales drop that low? or are the numbers lower compared to the previous gen integra?

so honda drops the prelude because sales were going down and accord coupe sales were going up. s2000 is selling well. if anything they need to bring up the civic SI sales and they should be in good shape.

still dont understand why, acura would toss the RSX to honda???

sidemarker
Old 05-05-2004 | 06:15 AM
Team Owner

Funny, my service manager said they had a meeting and a drawing was shown of what a TL Coupe MIGHT look like. But no production plans were set at all. Just a sketch. Not even a photoshop just a hand sketch.
Old 05-05-2004 | 06:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Red-CL
What a loyal Acura customer?

I'm sure Acura could pull it off but I think I'll be going to a competitor for my next vehicle. I'm not too happy about how the tranny situation is being handled.
You can bet they learned ALOT from our CLs and TLs. I highly doubt something as drastic as our transmission issue was will ever be dealt with in the same manner.
Old 05-05-2004 | 06:50 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally posted by mrsteve
You can bet they learned ALOT from our CLs and TLs. I highly doubt something as drastic as our transmission issue was will ever be dealt with in the same manner.
It might not happen again but what's being done does nothing for me now. I usually keep cars well past the 100K mark. I bought a car I thought I could do that with.

I really think it's pretty fucked up that we have to live with a known design flaw. The thought of shelling out several grand at anything past 100k miles for a transmission that still has the same problem worries me.
Old 05-05-2004 | 07:53 AM
GEEZER

Meh..."The service advisor told me"
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:19 AM
Pro

i think it all won't matter what they come out with .. it will still have the crappy paint job .. still have curb-hugging flared out wheels .. headliners that fall .. leather that cracks .. sunroofs that squeak .. and warping rotors .. Acura's been producing cars with this crap for 5 years ... why change now?
Old 05-05-2004 | 08:51 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by DivinDude
i think it all won't matter what they come out with .. it will still have the crappy paint job .. still have curb-hugging flared out wheels .. headliners that fall .. leather that cracks .. sunroofs that squeak .. and warping rotors .. Acura's been producing cars with this crap for 5 years ... why change now?
hater. Every car in the world has problems no matter how expensive. When you find the perfect car that wont ever have a problem, please pm me.
Old 05-05-2004 | 09:12 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by evilstorm
hater. Every car in the world has problems no matter how expensive. When you find the perfect car that wont ever have a problem, please pm me.
Eureka!!! I've found it!!!!

Old 05-05-2004 | 09:14 AM
Masshole

We used to punch people when we saw a Pacer.
Old 05-05-2004 | 09:14 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by tmk70
Eureka!!! I've found it!!!!

/me waits for pm
Old 05-05-2004 | 09:45 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by DivinDude
I have not had ANY of problems you list above. Maybe its just you.:P
Old 05-05-2004 | 09:48 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by evilstorm
add me to the PM list.
Old 05-05-2004 | 09:55 AM
Banned

youve got to be kidding me with all these rumors, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

honda/acura head honchos couldnt dream up half this bullshit!!! let alone what some skeeve bag dealer tells his customers to keep interest in acura and in the dealership.

give me a fucking break. you guys holding your breath for some of these rumors are going to die of lack of oxygen LOOOONG before any of this crap materializes.

look at the facts, ACURA COUPES FAIL.

noone buys them. no matter how much they put into it, how much work, they dont sell. the coupe market is VERY limited as it is and pit that against the like of REAL performers like the 330Ci, G35 coupe, 350Z, give me a fucking BREEEEEAAAAK, an acura coupe does not succeed, EVER...unless it follows the following criteria:

-must be INEXPENSIVE
-must be SMALL
-must be ENTRY LEVEL
-must be geared toward young males and females.

Acura is on this BIG and might i add, impressive swing toward a higher calibur, i LOVE the new TL, the TSX, while underpowered, has alot going for it as well, but lets face the fucking facts here, Acura coupes consistantly fail. WE know it.....THEY know it.

Shawn, keep dreaming buddy, that 2005 RL coupe is NEVER going to happen, no way. youll be driving a used 645 coupe, thats what i would imagine, let me also say that today i saw a convertable version of that car yesterday at my gym, holy fuck. BMW knows how to build a LUXURIOUS AND AMAZING coupe. acura does not. period.

sorry boys, some of these rumors are like beleiving that santa clause is real.

whats next??

"guess what guys, i just got back from my dealer and they told me that acura is releasing a 1,000 HP coupe with turbine thrusters and WINGS!! yeah!! its going to have the ability to FLY! in fact the air force is buying the first batch and militarizing them for use in the Iraq war!!!

uuugh, i hate these ridiculous rumors threads
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by jimcol711

youve got to be kidding me with all these rumors, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

honda/acura head honchos couldnt dream up half this bullshit!!! let alone what some skeeve bag dealer tells his customers to keep interest in acura and in the dealership.

give me a fucking break. you guys holding your breath for some of these rumors are going to die of lack of oxygen LOOOONG before any of this crap materializes.

look at the facts, ACURA COUPES FAIL.

noone buys them. no matter how much they put into it, how much work, they dont sell. the coupe market is VERY limited as it is and pit that against the like of REAL performers like the 330Ci, G35 coupe, 350Z, give me a fucking BREEEEEAAAAK, an acura coupe does not succeed, EVER...unless it follows the following criteria:

-must be INEXPENSIVE
-must be SMALL
-must be ENTRY LEVEL
-must be geared toward young males and females.

Acura is on this BIG and might i add, impressive swing toward a higher calibur, i LOVE the new TL, the TSX, while underpowered, has alot going for it as well, but lets face the fucking facts here, Acura coupes consistantly fail. WE know it.....THEY know it.

Shawn, keep dreaming buddy, that 2005 RL coupe is NEVER going to happen, no way. youll be driving a used 645 coupe, thats what i would imagine, let me also say that today i saw a convertable version of that car yesterday at my gym, holy fuck. BMW knows how to build a LUXURIOUS AND AMAZING coupe. acura does not. period.

sorry boys, some of these rumors are like beleiving that santa clause is real.

whats next??

"guess what guys, i just got back from my dealer and they told me that acura is releasing a 1,000 HP coupe with turbine thrusters and WINGS!! yeah!! its going to have the ability to FLY! in fact the air force is buying the first batch and militarizing them for use in the Iraq war!!!

uuugh, i hate these ridiculous rumors threads
Dude, are you alright? Your response sounded as if you were going to have a heart attack or something!

Sure the 645 is nice. Then again, do you have over 80K for a coupe? I don't, that's why I drive what I drive. And I am very happy with it.

A time in which I can afford a 80K coupe will come, just not now...

Remember, when everyone said Acura would not build the NSX?

I'm just repeating what a very reputable service advisor shared with me. Don't get your panties all in a bunch over it...
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

wow... two replies in a row where I agree with Jim

Seriously though, he's right. Everyone is arguing/debating over something a dealer said... reputable or not.... they're always the last to know anything factual. Heck, I'm sure some of us have even had Park Ave Acura (probably one of the best dealers around) tell us false information b/c they were given it by someone else.

Until any of that stuff actually happens... keep your pants on.
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:40 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by juniorbean
wow... two replies in a row where I agree with Jim

Seriously though, he's right. Everyone is arguing/debating over something a dealer said... reputable or not.... they're always the last to know anything factual. Heck, I'm sure some of us have even had Park Ave Acura (probably one of the best dealers around) tell us false information b/c they were given it by someone else.

Until any of that stuff actually happens... keep your pants on.
My dealer once told me he "had never heard" of any issues with the CLS transmission.
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tmk70
My dealer once told me he "had never heard" of any issues with the CLS transmission.

HAHAHAHAH, i heard that song and dance too, from THREE different dealers, they should just have a little robot, or some type of humanoid robot like C3-PO that could stand at the dealer and spew out all that BS
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:43 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Can't wait for the coupe to come out.....you know there will be a coupe and then yet again watch Jimcol.....open mouth, insert foot...........yet again.

Old 05-05-2004 | 10:45 AM
Banned

Can't wait for the coupe to come out.....you know there will be a coupe and then yet again watch Jimcol.....open mouth, insert foot...........yet again.

its never happend yet and its not about to start now. acura has BOWED OUT, utterly DEFEATED, from the coupe market (obviously with the exception of the NSX and RSX) but we are talking LUXURY coupe, i.e. G35C, 330Ci, 645, etc
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:53 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by jimcol711
its never happend yet and its not about to start now. acura has BOWED OUT, utterly DEFEATED, from the coupe market (obviously with the exception of the NSX and RSX) but we are talking LUXURY coupe, i.e. G35C, 330Ci, 645, etc

acura plays the market well. While the CLS started selling very well.....performance craze came out of nowhere. RSX was also selling very well. To date Acura has corrected a number of mistakes and have lead to record sales numbers for the TSX, TL, MDX and in the future the RL.

I'm pretty confident you'll see the same with the next coupe.
Old 05-05-2004 | 10:58 AM
Team Owner

You guys are a real freaking RIOT sometimes.
First you say “I’m tired of rattles, squeaks, bad paint and poor US-Built quality”.
Then we hear “I’m not buying another Acura if it’s over 35K”.

Pardon my French, but what the FUCK do you want ???
If & when the new Acura luxury coupe comes out, even the Accord will probably be up to 35K.
If this thing is anywhere NEAR the quality of the 1995 Legend Coupe it’s gonna cost 50 PLUS !!!
I’m willing to pay that if they make the commitment.
I hope all you guys enjoy your Honda’s or whatever other brand you BAIL to.

Quick Reply: Acura coupe, baby MDX, etc.