Kia Stinger Premium RWD
35.00%
Other - Explain
25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Been out of town for over a week & have peeked in as time allowed, but haven't been able to respond until now.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I would go Stinger. Fun for days.
The Stinger is definitely the more fun car between it & the Accord.
Originally Posted by TLDude876
Q50 Red Sport?
Not sure how big of a difference there is, but I did drive a 3.7 Q50a at a Carmax while having the F150 appraised. Wasn't a fan of the dual screen interface & the 3.7 was far from peppy, IMO.
Originally Posted by AZuser
Vagon?
Does vehicle need to be new?
New is not a requirement, but coming from a 2016, the newer tech would be nice. Ideally, 2014+ I think.
Originally Posted by akplaya92
It may stretch your budget a little bit, but you may be able to get the V6 Stinger for a lot cheaper than you think. They had (still have?) an incentive running where if you leased it you got almost 7k off from the manufacturer. You figure you can negotiate at least another 2k off and that should put you at the low 40's for a GT2 V6. After one year they would allow you to refinance and buy the car (roughly 1k in fees here).
I don't know how much you drive, but the Stinger also comes with a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty on top of the 5 year/60k bumper-to-bumper.
You live in Texas, you deserve to have a RWD car!
Stinger GT would likely still exceed the $40k cap, even with the lease/buyout scheme.
Originally Posted by juniorbean

You can likely find a 2012 with 50k miles or so (maybe a little more) in the $40k range. Maybe not now as the market is picking up... but definitely after summer ends.
If it has to be new/newer... what about a Charger Scat Pack or something? Should be able to pick up a 2017 left over or demo for $35k or so...
Will have to look at the Charger, hadn't even had it on the radar.
Originally Posted by imj0257
Accord
As others mentioned.. not sure if you looked at the Q50S or G70?
G70 not on dealer lots yet, that I'm aware of, still not listed on the Genesis site.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I prefer the Stinger exterior.
I prefer the Accord interior.
I prefer the RWD layout of the Stinger.
I prefer a fully optioned out car, over a lower trim car (even if they're equally equipped... it's just nice knowing you've got the most badass version of said car). For that, the Accord gets the nod over the Stinger.
If it is a car OP wants to keep for many years, depreciation shouldn't be as much of a concern. Or... just wait under a year from now and buy used. I dunno. I can't really buy a car and worry about what it's worth when I want to get rid of it and no longer care for it. While it is nice to retain as much value as possible, I wouldn't be one to lose sleep over a 5k difference, five years down the line. Especially if the car was really good during that ownership period.
To to be honest, I'd have a hard time objectively choosing one over the other. Where one suffers, the other shines. It would really come down to how each one of them drives... and for that, only OP can decide which he prefers.
Going fully loaded vs mid-trim is preferable. I had to do the mid-trim option on the F150, as a Lariat & up was out of the budget.
Originally Posted by doopstr
Stinger because you will see many Accords every day while you drive yours and get annoyed.
<---Drives a Camry and used to get annoyed but now that the car is 6 years old don't give a shit anymore.
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
<<looks up new accord interior photos
first thought. Holy fuck, thats an accord!? Second thought. That’s wayyy too nice for Uber drivers.
IDK. Personally I would much rather have an F150 over the two. Or a new Ranger when it comes out.
but between the two, if this were your commuter car / daily, you may get tired driving an accord amongst so many other accord owners. And you may also regret getting the stinger without the better engine. Wasn’t that the whole point of the stinger? Either way, you’re fucked
i do really like that whole back door lease scam that someone else mentioned regarding the stinger gt2. Lol. Just the whole idea of beating the system would have me stretching for the GT2. Besides, if it seems like a lemon or reliability is suspect, then don’t buy it out of the lease.
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
IMO, that may make it worse. Since you’re passing by many accords daily that are 10k less and will feel that you have overpaid to be part of the herd, and most people will think your car is significantly less that what you bought it for. Obviously that may be meaningless to many, but for such a common car such as accord, it’s got to get under your skin every now and then. Although we just got a loaded outback, so I’m not one to say, although it’s not a daily.
Honestly, I don't care that there are 10x6^1056 Accords running around Houston. There are likely even more F150s & it doesn't both me to see Raptors or XLs around me. It's a car for me, and what anyone else bought doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by nanxun
Lots of great points and suggestions proffered above.
RWD and fun driving seem important to you. But is a brand new Stinger really the (only) way to go?
I like the idea of checking out the G70 or looking for a used Vagon.
Have you considered a (lightly) used Lexus IS350 F-Sport? 2014-16 models w/about 35-50k on the ODO can be had for $30-35k. (Admittedly, might be too small inside, and the driving dynamics can be a little numb.)
The IS isn't a bad idea, but worry that the back seat might be too small with 2 car seats. Will have to check one out & maybe loo at the used GS market locally.

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I would get a Civic Type R over both. I did put my car seat in one at the dealership. It has a plenty of room in the back for it.
The Stinger should be a lot more fun to drive being RWD than Accord. But it is a first year for that model so wouldn't touch it. Should let others blow up the engine and have Kia address the issue.
I'm a big fan of the new Accord though! The 2.0T Sport version. Wouldn't go up to the top trim because almost $40k opens up too many good options.
CTR>Stinger>Accord 2.0T
Local dealer had a white CTR when I stopped to look at the Accord, don't think I could daily it though.

Sigh... as much as I love the CTR and everything it stands for, being in my 30s, I could never daily drive one. It's just waaaay too much. The faux carbon fibre kit, paired with the excessive body vents/lines and red accents.... it's like Honda stopped off at Pep Boys prior to putting the car on the market. I get the feeling that 00TL, being a family man, likely is in a similar boat. Also, coming from an F150, the Civic will feel cramped.
I could be wrong, but, I get the feeling he's looking for an auto and not a manual transmission, also. Maybe for the wife to drive also? I dunno. 00TL, clarify!!!
Auto is not a requirement, just not a ton of options for manual cars that are base/decontented options.

Originally Posted by Saintor
CTR.... kids.
OP, did you have a look a TLX 3.5 A-spec? It sure is quicker than a stinger 2.0toy and knows how to make the proper noises, fit to this category.
Nope, TLX doesn't really do much for me. The A-Spec is an improvement, but didn't even pop onto my radar.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10
I voted for other and here is why. As much as Honda wants to call the new Accord sporty, it’s still an Accord and to me isn’t that attractive. The stinger is more attractive however the resale value is going to plummet like a meteor that has entered the atmosphere. Not to mention I would not want to be in a base model Kia. While on that note, I owned a Sorento for a few months and loved it but got tired of needing to explain to people why I bought it....I paid less than half the original asking price too and I still felt like I needed to justify it. Kept getting something along the lines of “wow this is really nice for a Kia and would be amazing if it never had the Kia badge”.
Pushing that aside, both are brand new and I DO NOT trust ANY Honda with a new transmission let alone something as ambitious as 10 speeds. At least with the Kia the platform and transmission are tried and true, so is the 2.0T (but not so much the 3.3T).
My vote is to go look at a CPO 2015+ Hyundai Genesis sedan (the new bodystyle). It’s a Hyundai so resale has fallen like a ton of bricks (it was 70k in 2015 and now I see fairly loaded Genesis sedans with low miles in the 20’s). It has the same transmission as the stinger, you could go with the 3.8 vs 5.0 for fuel economy (not sure what it’s rated at to be honest, but for the savings in initial cost I’d think it evens out if it’s bad) but the build quality is better not to mention it still looks absolutely amazing and fresh whereas the stinger is not going to age very well IMHO. The Genesis is all around a much nicer car and while I think the stinger handles better (probably), I am certain the Genesis handles better than an accord and if you’re willing to get an Accord the Genesis would be a good compromise. Oh also rear seat leg room is ridiculous, I’m 6’2 and easily fit back there!! We’ve rented a Genesis numerous times and it continues to impress the hell out of me.
Having had an '00 TL that was on its 3rd trans, and my sister's '02 Accord which was on its 2nd, I get the Honda trans phobia.
Will have to look at the Genesis, it is quite the good looking car, can't say that I've even looked at any aside from the Coupe when they first came out.

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Accord has great MPG. I can fit 3 car seats in the back of mine.
2 Recaro's and the infant Graco. I'm sure the new Accord has more space in the back now too.
Good to know, I was really surprised with how much room the Accord has, nearly rivals the F150 for back seat space.

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
It is quite good but it's not all that lively if you know what I mean. If you're going in looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics, you'll be disappointed. If you're going in looking for Camry driving dynamics, you'll be thrilled.
OP, what I'd do is if you want a new zero mile car get the Accord. If you don't like it, you can sell without a ton of loss in value. If you are ok with used, getting a used Genny sedan is not a bad idea at all. Just make sure it's the most recent body style. If you don't like the Kia it'll be hard to sell without a massive loss in resale.
Don't think the OP is looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics. Simply saying that the newer Accord Sports are actually very nice cars even for driving in the canyons and tracks. The new engine is VERY responsive for the tunes too.
And I don't know which generation of BMW or Audi you are referring to but the new BMW and Audis are actually much less fun to drive than the older models. But let's not get there in this thread. Don't want to hijack it here.
Coming from an F150, I'm not expecting a 4 door Lotus, but the Stinger & Accord are large steps of improvement in driving dynamics over a truck.
I know what to expect, and compared to the F150, they're both like a 4 door Lotus moreso than a floaty land yacht.

Thanks.

In all seriousness, I'd buy the Accord Sport 2.0T manual in a heartbeat if dealers were willing to do better on price. The dealer I went to for a test drive, as I was seriously interested, basically told me MSRP or pound sand...so I left. Why would I spend that kind of money on an Accord when I could get a lightly used, still under warranty BMW for a tiny bit more? If they start coming down in price, and get better lease options, I'd seriously consider one.

In other news...
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...rd-slow-sales/
Haven't looked hard, but the closest dealers didn't have any 6MT 2.0Ts when I looked last. The Sport saves a couple thousand more over the Touring, at the expense of a few features.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM

So to that question- is a 750i fun to drive? What about an s550? I have zero time behind the wheel of such big luxo cars, but how do they stack up? Granted, I expect the genesis to be on the shittier side, compared to the other two... but I still can't see them being fun. More so, designed to be comfortable first and foremost, above anything else.
Depends on your definition of fun to drive. If you want a canyon carver then no. If you want a rocketship, then yes. The big luxury cars are pretty quick in a straight line and can hold high speeds on the freeway without breaking a sweat because that's what they are designed for but they aren't going to compete at your next track day.
Agreed, having multiple generations of S-Class experience (having seat time in 5 of the 7 my grandmother owned, and having an 80s S in high school) I'd say they're fun, but far from a canyon carver, as Sam said. They're competent, but not sports cars, AMG cars excluded.

Poor OP is going to have so much BS to read through when he gets back
Have been checking in throughout the week, just now getting caught up enough at work to be able to respond

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Meh....depends on who's driving. I haven't heard anyone have any issues with the 10AT. Just the usual that they had with the Pilot when the Touring and Elite get the 9AT. The "gear hunting". Not sure if that's been solved with some kind of software update or what.
Any time you have that many gears, it's going to hunt for the right one. The question of what gear to be in given the spot in the rev range vs road speed vs throttle input just has too many answers because it can't predict what the driver is going to do/want next. The ZF9 in my Jeep does hunt a little but overall it's fine. I'll deal with a little hunting in exchange for nearly 30mpg on the highway.
The couple '18 F150 loaners I've had with Ford's 10AT had some hunting too, one much worse than the other 2. Guessing programming made the difference there too.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Let me send a text to my guy. He is working in Texas now, but, has connections at the dealer I buy all my Honda's from. I will ask him if he can get me a better price in Texas over Cali.
I was being lazy. SP is Scat Pack.
Cool let me know!
Talked to him. It's like you said. They want sticker for the 2.0T 6spd. He said they can't keep them on the lot and have a list of people waiting for them to come in. He said DO NOT pay MSRP for one. He also mentioned if you can wait until the 2019s hit the lot, do that.
Which TX dealer? Hook a Texan up, any deals on a 2.0T Touring?

Originally Posted by AZuser
How about a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with 2.5T
https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16201927
Definitely on the list, especially since the released pricing; lower than I was expecting, but also want to see the interior on the Signature, since black leather isn't an option. Will have to compare the Signature to the GT R.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Let me ask what Dealer he is at in Texas. I think he is in the DFW area, but will have to confirm.

So what's wrong with the F-150, kind of curious as in a couple years I need to decide if I want to get a truck (because family) or get a Scat Pack. I'm torn between the two.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:43 PM

DFW is only 3-4 hours drive, so definitely an option. PM me if/when you find something out.

Nothing really wrong with the F150, I've always had cars & was all set to keep the Civic & buy an ND Miata before we needed a trailer for my wife's business, as it was hell having to load/unload the Flex with her inventory.

Now that we've changed gears business-wise, I'd like to get back into a car. I'd have no problem recommending the F150 to anyone, it's a fantastic truck, roomy & quiet with good MPG; though I would steer a buyer away from the pano roof. So far, mine's quiet & working properly again, but we'll see if the squeaks/rattles return.
The 2.7EcoBoost is a great little engine for someone that uses the truck primarily as a commuter & less for towing. I'm averaging between 18-22mpg depending on traffic & driving conditions.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Will have to look at the Charger, hadn't even had it on the radar.
I actually got a chance to check one out up close this past weekend. Sat in it, etc. We had a car show this weekend and one of our vendors brought one. I have to say... wow... I was pretty impressed. I hate to say this, but it actually reminded me almost of a domestic E63. Very similar feel to the interior. The rear seats fold down as well so it adds versatility to the cargo space (if needed), seats were comfy... just all around nice car...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Team Owner

I actually got a chance to check one out up close this past weekend. Sat in it, etc. We had a car show this weekend and one of our vendors brought one. I have to say... wow... I was pretty impressed. I hate to say this, but it actually reminded me almost of a domestic E63. Very similar feel to the interior. The rear seats fold down as well so it adds versatility to the cargo space (if needed), seats were comfy... just all around nice car...
That is good to hear.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Looks like an R/T would be as high as I could likely go on a new Charger, unless there's deep discounts on a SP. Haven't looked around at local CPOs.
Will have to go drive one & see how it is.

Any complaints on a 2015 GS350 FSport? Local CPO in white on red/black.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

SP's you can get a for a deal. On the Dodge forum I've seen some guys getting brand new Scat Packs for 33-35k. YMMV.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by nanxun:
Shadow2056 (03-21-2018), TacoBello (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Looks like an R/T would be as high as I could likely go on a new Charger, unless there's deep discounts on a SP. Haven't looked around at local CPOs.

SP's you can get a for a deal. On the Dodge forum I've seen some guys getting brand new Scat Packs for 33-35k. YMMV.

Chrysler/Dodge normally have DEEP rebates on their cars. $10k+. Some, or all, of which you have to qualify for. Credit score, if you're getting it financed thru Chrysler Cap, part of AARP, and stuff of that sort. But they normally have a bunch of rebates without even being in those as well.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Chrysler/Dodge normally have DEEP rebates on their cars. $10k+. Some, or all, of which you have to qualify for. Credit score, if you're getting it financed thru Chrysler Cap, part of AARP, and stuff of that sort. But they normally have a bunch of rebates without even being in those as well.
I'm buying my wife a van this year and thought about the Pacifica. I'd lease the damn thing because I don't know about the reliability on it. But they where giving some nice discounts. I think I was able to snag a Limited for just over 31k a couple months back when I looked at them.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm buying my wife a van this year and thought about the Pacifica. I'd lease the damn thing because I don't know about the reliability on it. But they where giving some nice discounts. I think I was able to snag a Limited for just over 31k a couple months back when I looked at them.

That's the thing on domestics. They have all kinds of money built into the price already. That's why you can get one with $10k+ off. They give you that much off. Pocket $4k. You think you got a deal. They call it a day. Then when that new model comes out or the other vehicle you want comes out, you're stuck in the vehicle you got from them because the resale on it plummeted while you were driving it. You might still owe $21k on it three years later but it's worth $14k trade in. Unless you put down a substantial amount of cash down or a nice paid for trade, or a trade with no negative equity, you get into a domestic, you're stuck in it until you either pay it off or make more than the usual payments.

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of them that are really nice. Like the Fusion with the self parking thing. I've yet to see anyone else with that other than Mercedes and BMW get it. It's a nice feature. It's just their value doesn't hold too well. Another reason I like selling Hondas. Lol.

Last edited by Shadow2056; 03-21-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

2018 models are out. Grab a 2017 at a severe discount and get the Scat Pack

Awesome cars!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:40 PM

Found a 6MT Accord Sport 2.0 at a dealer I didn't even know existed about 10 miles from my office
Just ran up at lunch & gave it a test drive. Definitely a nice drive. The 6MT is much better than the one in the HR-V that I drove a couple years ago & there was no noticeable rev hang. Will have to get another (better) drive again in a Touring just to be sure.
Shadow2056 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Ho Lee Fuk, you can get a lease on a Charger SRT 392 (MF/resid deals are better than scat pack) for low $400's if you can get the price down. That's a hell of a deal for what amounts to a 500hp semi luxury car.

Hmm...may have to go check one out.
Shadow2056 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

Ho Lee Fuk, you can get a lease on a Charger SRT 392 (MF/resid deals are better than scat pack) for low $400's if you can get the price down. That's a hell of a deal for what amounts to a 500hp semi luxury car.

I've read that people are leasing HellCats for in the mid 5's
and Scat Packs for 399

Over the weekend I've seen about 8-9 Hellcats. They're becoming more popular, I'm thinking because of the specials.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

and Scat Packs for 399

Over the weekend I've seen about 8-9 Hellcats. They're becoming more popular, I'm thinking because of the specials.
The only problem I can think of is what to get after that lease is over? Nothing else, short of AMG or BMW M, would be anywhere close to the right ballpark.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 PM

I think the Charger would lead to financial turmoil for me. About the same economy as the F150, but the potential for a lot worse.

Honestly, the Accord Sport/Touring is at the top of the list, followed by the Stinger, but need to decide if I want to wait for the Mazda6T to arrive before making a decision.

Found a couple 2015+ Genesis sedans & 1 G80 in my budget, but they are ringing any bells for me.
May go look at the CPO GS350 FSport & may look at an IS to see how the back seat room is.
nist7 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

The IS will not have room for the kids. Back seat is pretty small.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flipster23:
00TL-P3.2 (03-22-2018), Shadow2056 (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Ex-OEM King

It's also not that great to drive and the engine is pretty uninspiring. The 2.0T in the Accord is a better motor. I was pretty disappointed with it when I drove it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The only problem I can think of is what to get after that lease is over? Nothing else, short of AMG or BMW M, would be anywhere close to the right ballpark.
Cross that bridge when you get there!

Plus, it's not like it is a handling monster. It's still a big ass, heavy sedan. You might not be able to get the same power, but you can definitely get better handling, I'm sure.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Yup... things are a bargain for what you get. And it comes with a good amount of bells and whistles so it's not like it's stripped down. The one I sat in was very impressive...
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I think the Charger would lead to financial turmoil for me. About the same economy as the F150, but the potential for a lot worse.
Yeah, I don't get why people are even suggesting that homer-mobile here. BTW, I'll remove the TLX suggestion because as a family car, rear space is worse than a Civic.

I suspect that you still want more than a pedestrian ride, so no to the Accord.

Possibly a slighly used Maxima.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

and Scat Packs for 399

Yep. There's a reason why the lease on them is so low. Because their resale is so low. Look at it's value after the 3 year lease with 36k miles. Good if you plan to keep it. Bad if you're buying it and might trade it in 3 years. That's why you can find the R/Ts, Scat Packs, and even some Hellcats for dirt cheap.

Lol. Yep! When you're driving a 500hp+ monster around for 3 years, unless you really need to settle down or just want a quick daily, you'd be hard pressed to find anything you actually like.

Another reason why I didn't get an 08 IS350 like I wanted to. No trunk space. Hardly any actual space in the vehicle. Nice feature. Good power. No space.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah, I don't get why people are even suggesting that homer-mobile here. BTW, I'll remove the TLX suggestion because as a family car, rear space is worse than a Civic.

1. The Charger is a "homer mobile"? I can point to at least 25 members on AZ who would choose the so called homer mobile, over the TLX it is one hella good looking car.

2. Yes, suggest the Maxima with an absolute shit CVT transmission. So much sport. While he did mention fuel economy, he's no where near as concerned about it as you.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Low mileage Genesis/G80s with full factory warranties can be had for really good deals. My dads new Genesis is beautiful inside and out and thus far rock solid. Tons of room for kids/car seats in the rear, big trunk, great mileage. While its no mountain carver it does handle very well and can do spirited. Have you test drove one yet?
TacoBello (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Ex-OEM King

Yep. There's a reason why the lease on them is so low. Because their resale is so low. Look at it's value after the 3 year lease with 36k miles. Good if you plan to keep it. Bad if you're buying it and might trade it in 3 years. That's why you can find the R/Ts, Scat Packs, and even some Hellcats for dirt cheap.

Lol. Yep! When you're driving a 500hp+ monster around for 3 years, unless you really need to settle down or just want a quick daily, you'd be hard pressed to find anything you actually like.
The lease residuals are actually really good for the high end SRT models though. The SRT 392 has a 60% residual which is the same as the Accord and a much lower MF. And yeah, I don't think the Charger is going to be for me. The wife called it a redneck mobile which, while it's a really awesome and aggressive looking car, it kind of still is.

Also, RWD only and I don't want to buy an expensive set of snow tires/rims for a leased car.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Low mileage Genesis/G80s with full factory warranties can be had for really good deals. My dads new Genesis is beautiful inside and out and thus far rock solid. Tons of room for kids/car seats in the rear, big trunk, great mileage. While its no mountain carver it does handle very well and can do spirited. Have you test drove one yet?
Not going to lie, the new G80 Sport really speaks to me...
Shadow2056 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Redneck mobile.

I don't think it's that.

I saw a HellCat sitting on the GMC lot this morning when I went to pick something up. I was like damn.

My ford dealer had a Scat pack on their lot a couple months back, they wanted 39k. 2016 4k miles (I believe) I told the salesmen you guys are tripping, I can walk across the street and get a brand new one for that price. Usually my Ford dealer used car prices are unbeatable. The previous owner had kids, and traded it in for a FoST.

:scratchhead:
Shadow2056 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

The lease residuals are actually really good for the high end SRT models though. The SRT 392 has a 60% residual which is the same as the Accord and a much lower MF. And yeah, I don't think the Charger is going to be for me. The wife called it a redneck mobile which, while it's a really awesome and aggressive looking car, it kind of still is.

Also, RWD only and I don't want to buy an expensive set of snow tires/rims for a leased car.

Lol@ red neck mobile. Hahahahah!

The Charger does look nice indeed. Loved the design when they changed the front end in 2016. Glad they did. And yes. It would be a summer/fall only type car. Lol. Garage it for the winter. Take it out every once in a while just to keep the flat spots out of the tires and keep the battery charged too.

The G80 Sport looks nice too. I need them to do something with that dash though. All the buttons and even the "Infotainment" Looks Hyundai still. I know Hyundai wanted the Genesis brand to break off onto its own...luxury brand. But they need to move away from the cheap Hyundai look for the interior. IMO.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Ex-OEM King

Lol@ red neck mobile. Hahahahah!

The Charger does look nice indeed. Loved the design when they changed the front end in 2016. Glad they did. And yes. It would be a summer/fall only type car. Lol. Garage it for the winter. Take it out every once in a while just to keep the flat spots out of the tires and keep the battery charged too.

The G80 Sport looks nice too. I need them to do something with that dash though. All the buttons and even the "Infotainment" Looks Hyundai still. I know Hyundai wanted the Genesis brand to break off onto its own...luxury brand. But they need to move away from the cheap Hyundai look for the interior. IMO.
Yeah, I'm not leasing a car that I make payments on without driving for 6 months of the year... I have a fully paid for S2000 to fulfill the role of garage ornament for that.

Agreed on the Genesis needing a few more updates.
Shadow2056 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 10:34 AM

While the Accord may be a bit 'pedestrian' it's at the top of the buy new list.
At the Maxima, not a fan of the current gen, and generally not much of a Nissan fan outside of the Z & GTR.

1. The Charger is a "homer mobile"? I can point to at least 25 members on AZ who would choose the so called homer mobile, over the TLX it is one hella good looking car.
2. Yes, suggest the Maxima with an absolute shit CVT transmission. So much sport. While he did mention fuel economy, he's no where near as concerned about it as you.
Economy is a factor, but not a deal breaker. Want to at minimum get the same or better than the F150 is getting; so ~20mpg combined. More is better, but not at the expense of driving a boring car.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Going at lunch today. Local Hyundai dealer has a '15 Genesis 3.8 AWD Ultimate & a 17 G80 RWD Premium on their used lot.

G80 Sport would be awesome, but likely way out of budget.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:33 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Saintor disses all except for the mighty powerful TLX.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Saintor disses all except for the mighty powerful TLX.
Keep in mind, 99% of his are from paper. Not actual experience. Lol.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Went at lunch to check out the Genesis & G80.
Took the Genesis for a drive, as it was an Ultimate package car. The G80 lacked a lot of what the Genesis had. And the G80 had the same mileage, being 2 years newer. 40k in 1 year vs 40k in 3 years

I think the Genesis HTRAC had a nice drive, competent & quiet. Decent power from the 3.8, but I think I'd try to find a RWD to compare. I'm also a little too skinny for the bolsters in the seats (Ultimate package gets adjustable side bolsters & thigh extension), even fully extended I had some wiggle room in the seat.
Overall I was pretty impressed, it definitely drives like a smaller car than it is.
Shadow2056 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Went at lunch to check out the Genesis & G80.
Took the Genesis for a drive, as it was an Ultimate package car. The G80 lacked a lot of what the Genesis had. And the G80 had the same mileage, being 2 years newer. 40k in 1 year vs 40k in 3 years

I think the Genesis HTRAC had a nice drive, competent & quiet. Decent power from the 3.8, but I think I'd try to find a RWD to compare. I'm also a little too skinny for the bolsters in the seats (Ultimate package gets adjustable side bolsters & thigh extension), even fully extended I had some wiggle room in the seat.
Overall I was pretty impressed, it definitely drives like a smaller car than it is.
Not sure if it’s different in the states but you don’t need the Ultimate package to get the adjustable thigh support and bolsters. What does suck though is they don’t offer the same range of motions in the passenger seat as the drivers seat.

Otherwise how did you find the quality, drivetrain...etc? As for the seats being too wide, I have wide shoulders but a tapering torso so I also find many seats too wide. My favourite part of the Genesis seating position is that it’s the first car I have ever driven where I can sit comfortably in the seat while keeping both arms on the center console lid/arm rest. In every other car they are too low/only one is at the right height.

I’ve never driven a RWD Genesis so let us know what that’s like, I’m really curious.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10
Not sure if it’s different in the states but you don’t need the Ultimate package to get the adjustable thigh support and bolsters. What does suck though is they don’t offer the same range of motions in the passenger seat as the drivers seat.

Otherwise how did you find the quality, drivetrain...etc? As for the seats being too wide, I have wide shoulders but a tapering torso so I also find many seats too wide. My favourite part of the Genesis seating position is that it’s the first car I have ever driven where I can sit comfortably in the seat while keeping both arms on the center console lid/arm rest. In every other car they are too low/only one is at the right height.

I’ve never driven a RWD Genesis so let us know what that’s like, I’m really curious.
I don't know which packages get what on the Genesis, but the 2 this dealer had were side by side, and were a '15 Ultimate & a '17 Premium (according to the online listings).
The Ultimate had a (slightly) larger NAV screen, more seat adjustment (bolsters & thigh) & a HUD, that I immediately noticed. Though, it was the first HUD I've used that completely disappeared with polarized sunglasses, can't say I've had that happen before

As far as how it drove, I was quite impressed. I have very little need for AWD here, so I wouldn't want the (EPA listed) MPG hit that it incurs. 90% of the drive was 60-80mph on the highway, with a couple u-turns, but I'd put it more on the competent cruiser than canyon carver as fsttyms put it. Definitely not a floaty luxo-barge at all.
Since you mentioned it, the armrests do fall just right in the Genny, didn't think about it then, but it does put you just right in the car when you get the seats set just so.
Quality, on a 3 year old car with 40k on it, was good. No excessive wear that I noticed; leather was all in great shape, bit of heel wear on the driver's floormat.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I don't know which packages get what on the Genesis, but the 2 this dealer had were side by side, and were a '15 Ultimate & a '17 Premium (according to the online listings).
The Ultimate had a (slightly) larger NAV screen, more seat adjustment (bolsters & thigh) & a HUD, that I immediately noticed. Though, it was the first HUD I've used that completely disappeared with polarized sunglasses, can't say I've had that happen before

As far as how it drove, I was quite impressed. I have very little need for AWD here, so I wouldn't want the (EPA listed) MPG hit that it incurs. 90% of the drive was 60-80mph on the highway, with a couple u-turns, but I'd put it more on the competent cruiser than canyon carver as fsttyms put it. Definitely not a floaty luxo-barge at all.
Since you mentioned it, the armrests do fall just right in the Genny, didn't think about it then, but it does put you just right in the car when you get the seats set just so.
Quality, on a 3 year old car with 40k on it, was good. No excessive wear that I noticed; leather was all in great shape, bit of heel wear on the driver's floormat.

The models we’ve rented were always the second trim from the bottom and that trim brought along with it the adjustable bolsters, cooled seats, and a couple other things. Even the base model is pretty ridiculously loaded. But if you can swing the 3.8 Ultimate I would definitely take that becaus it also adds an adaptive suspension (iirc) and a controller for that larger nav screen.

Not sure about the HUD, the models we rented never had that (maybe an Ultimate package item too). If I lived where you lived I would consider the RWD model as well just because it shaves off 200 pounds and I think the car could use that weight savings. But on the flip side H-Trac is designed by the same company that designed BMW’s X-Drive (I can’t find the link, but I think it was Magna maybe) and it’s a very capable system. Though again if I didn’t need it like you, why wouldn’t I take better gas mileage, acceleration, and fun with the RWD model?

Agreed it’s competent and definitely not floaty, it’s not a canyon carver either for sure. But I found it to be a good balance between acceptable handling and a supple ride. And yeah no totally the arm rest positions are PERFECT. I’ve been in many many cars and not a single one has been able to get it right, I feel like it would be amazing for long highway drives.

Let us know what you decide, you can’t really go wrong here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?