35.00%
Other - Explain
25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?

Old 03-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
There's a reason it didn't show up on his list. Car sounds aren't sufficient enough of a reason for him to buy one... and you know... the lowly CTR I4 engine puts down more power than the oh so mighty V6
Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
The Accord: Great features(standard features that are extra on other brands). Hold their value. 6spd availability allows for fun driving. New turbo motors create more fun platform.

Kia Stinger: Nice looks. Good reviews. Still a Kia. After 3 years, value will plummet like a large boulder in the sea.

Infiniti Q50 S/Red Sport: Fun to drive. 350-400hp variants available. Hold their value. Look great. Come standard with features that others in it's class don't come with or aren't available.

What do you want to be making a $400-600/mth payment on? A Kia that just came out that won't hold it's value? Or a car I'm sure you'll enjoy the whole time you own it.

Working at Honda, I've yet to see any of the new Accords come in with any problems. Might be a regional thing.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Putting together a Kia Stinger on the website. Pitiful. Only 3 color choices on the entry level. You have to add the "sensing" package to a tune of $2k. Then another $500 to get remote start. Ending at $40,900.

Whereas on the Accord Touring 2.0t, you're at $36k. All with standard features like Lane Keeping Assist, Active Cruise Control, Remote Start, 19in wheels, 252hp/273tq(dyno has been seeing numbers that are actually higher than these). And still get better fuel economy and hold it's value.

ALG Residual Value % After 36 months: Accord-53% Kia Stinger-42%

ALG Residual Value % After 60 months: Accord-37% Stinger-33%

Even with the Infiniti Q50 3.0t, you're still getting better fuel economy, features, reliability, and residual value.

Go drive a Stinger, Accord Touring 2.0t, and then the Infiniti Q50S. Then come back and tell us.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

yes and no... he's shooting for the touring package- you don't see a ton of those on the road, compared to the lower trims. So while yes, he will see accords everywhere, he can still know he's a boss driving the best equipped version. Seriously, heads up display and adaptive suspension in an Accord?

IMO, that may make it worse. Since you’re passing by many accords daily that are 10k less and will feel that you have overpaid to be part of the herd, and most people will think your car is significantly less that what you bought it for. Obviously that may be meaningless to many, but for such a common car such as accord, it’s got to get under your skin every now and then. Although we just got a loaded outback, so I’m not one to say, although it’s not a daily.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:27 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Sigh... as much as I love the CTR and everything it stands for, being in my 30s, I could never daily drive one. It's just waaaay too much. The faux carbon fibre kit, paired with the excessive body vents/lines and red accents.... it's like Honda stopped off at Pep Boys prior to putting the car on the market. I get the feeling that 00TL, being a family man, likely is in a similar boat. Also, coming from an F150, the Civic will feel cramped.

I could be wrong, but, I get the feeling he's looking for an auto and not a manual transmission, also. Maybe for the wife to drive also? I dunno. 00TL, clarify!!!
If he's looking for auto, then definitely Accord.

When I get my CTR, the first thing to do is wrapping the fake CF and red accents to match the body color. It does look stupid to me too haha

The performance difference between CTR and Accord 2.0T is huge even though it shares a lot of engine parts.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I'm inclined to agree. CTR just isn't adult enough. Honda needs a high performance accord or a faster TLX.
It looks much better with the CF and red bits covered!

Originally Posted by Saintor
CTR.... kids.

OP, did you have a look a TLX 3.5 A-spec? It sure is quicker than a stinger 2.0toy and knows how to make the proper noises, fit to this category.
Who still cares about TLX these days????
Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Someone in the community got a new Accord. Gotta admit it looked nice and sporty. The overall design kinda reminded me of the CLS sedan.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon

IMO, that may make it worse. Since you’re passing by many accords daily that are 10k less and will feel that you have overpaid to be part of the herd, and most people will think your car is significantly less that what you bought it for. Obviously that may be meaningless to many, but for such a common car such as accord, it’s got to get under your skin every now and then. Although we just got a loaded outback, so I’m not one to say, although it’s not a daily.

I'd agree with this if it was like 2012. The last couple of years (this is and 2016-2017 design) have had a lot of differences between the trims. Especially with the current model. You might pass by the Sport or EX while you're driving a Touring 2.0T, but they won't have the wheels, HUD, wireless charger, navigation,or other features the Touring has over the other trims. More people will look at the Touring and say "I wish I had that trim" than people driving the Touring and think "I should have gotten the EX." People who get the Touring models want all the "bells and whistles".

there are some things they should have made options though. Like the Adjustable Dampening or HUD. Some people who get the Touring will never press the Sport mode. Others still might turn the HUD off. Me? If I get a new car, the Accord Touring 2.0T. I want all those features and I know I'd use them. I pay 35k for a car, I plan to use every feature I can. If you dont, you're basiclly wasting your money.

Last edited by Shadow2056; 03-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
I'd agree with this if it was like 2012. The last couple of years (this is and 2016-2017 design) have had a lot of differences between the trims. Especially with the current model. You might pass by the Sport or EX while you're driving a Touring 2.0T, but they won't have the wheels, HUD, wireless charger, navigation,or other features the Touring has over the other trims. More people will look at the Touring and say "I wish I had that trim" than people driving the Touring and think "I should have gotten the EX." People who get the Touring models want all the "bells and whistles".

there are some things they should have made options though. Like the Adjustable Dampening or HUD. Some people who get the Touring will never press the Sport mode. Others still might turn the HUD off. Me? If I get a new car, the Accord Touring 2.0T. I want all those features and I know I'd use them. I pay 35k for a car, I plan to use every feature I can. If you dont, you're basiclly wasting your money.
Who is going to know if you have HUD and a wireless charger when they drive passed you? If anything the two differentiating upscale factors for main stream cars are LED headlights / accent lights, and the wheels. So that will help some for the touring.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,132 Posts
he can still know he's a boss driving the best equipped version.
I have that feeling when I drive my wife's Sienna Limited Premium AWD around the neighborhood. LED DRL and directionals on the mirrors says I'm the boss of the school parking lot.
TacoBello (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon

Who is going to know if you have HUD and a wireless charger when they drive passed you? If anything the two differentiating upscale factors for main stream cars are LED headlights / accent lights, and the wheels. So that will help some for the touring.
He's buying a practical daily driver, not a rare or highly coveted status symbol. He isn't buying the HUD or wireless charger for someone else. He's buying it for himself and he himself knows he's got a much nicer Accord than 97% of all Accords on the road.

Back when I had my 2003 Accord EXV6 6MT, it was the top of the line car with the rare 6MT to boot. Yeah, there are tens thousands of other accords out there, but few were like mine... and I loved knowing that. To each their own- by the end of the day, it's just a matter of perspective. You perceive that type of car as being bad... but the nice thing about perceptions is you alone can change it- if you wanted to, that is.
Shadow2056 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I voted for other and here is why. As much as Honda wants to call the new Accord sporty, it’s still an Accord and to me isn’t that attractive. The stinger is more attractive however the resale value is going to plummet like a meteor that has entered the atmosphere. Not to mention I would not want to be in a base model Kia. While on that note, I owned a Sorento for a few months and loved it but got tired of needing to explain to people why I bought it....I paid less than half the original asking price too and I still felt like I needed to justify it. Kept getting something along the lines of “wow this is really nice for a Kia and would be amazing if it never had the Kia badge”.

Pushing that aside, both are brand new and I DO NOT trust ANY Honda with a new transmission let alone something as ambitious as 10 speeds. At least with the Kia the platform and transmission are tried and true, so is the 2.0T (but not so much the 3.3T).

My vote is to go look at a CPO 2015+ Hyundai Genesis sedan (the new bodystyle). It’s a Hyundai so resale has fallen like a ton of bricks (it was 70k in 2015 and now I see fairly loaded Genesis sedans with low miles in the 20’s). It has the same transmission as the stinger, you could go with the 3.8 vs 5.0 for fuel economy (not sure what it’s rated at to be honest, but for the savings in initial cost I’d think it evens out if it’s bad) but the build quality is better not to mention it still looks absolutely amazing and fresh whereas the stinger is not going to age very well IMHO. The Genesis is all around a much nicer car and while I think the stinger handles better (probably), I am certain the Genesis handles better than an accord and if you’re willing to get an Accord the Genesis would be a good compromise. Oh also rear seat leg room is ridiculous, I’m 6’2 and easily fit back there!! We’ve rented a Genesis numerous times and it continues to impress the hell out of me.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Team Owner

That's actually not a bad suggestion.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

This generation and previous generation Accord Sports are actually very capable cars. Much capable cars than any of the Genesis. Not sure why anyone would get the used Genesis when he can get a new Accord 2.0T.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
This generation and previous generation Accord Sports are actually very capable cars. Much capable cars than any of the Genesis. Not sure why anyone would get the used Genesis when he can get a new Accord 2.0T.
Different strokes for different folks, not sure why anyone would buy an Accord with a 2.0T and extremely questionable reliability when they can buy a used, tried an true, Genesis with a 3.8 V6 or 5.0 V8....see what I did there?
TacoBello (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I have a 2017 accord sport se and really like it. I don't need a ton of power and it works like an appliance should. I get 31-35 mpg on my commute with just going with traffic. I had a 2018 touring pass me this morning. I really like the headlights, but it's not enough for me to trade my perfectly good 17 in.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I hated the new Accord when I saw the pics. Seeing it in person and the new features made me like it. But you're right. It's still an Accord. But people have to keep in mind. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, Kia....they're all economy brands. That's what it boils down to. They have some luxury to the higher trims but that's about all you'll get.

The Acura TL is an entry level luxury vehicle. Made to compete with Cadillac, BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti. So we'll have a little bias against the Accord.

The Kia Stinger is in a class all on it's own. There's nothing else it can really compete against because it has no real class.

The only vehicle I would consider really is the Infiniti Q50S. Don't hear about any problems with them. They hold value. Nice features. Good power. Nice selection of engines as well.

I'd go alone with the Genesis but I can't. Their value drops hard after the 1st couple of years. They do have some great features. Not much to choose from tho. Same with the Stinger. Not many colors to choose from. And to get the twin turbo model, you're sitting at $37k already. Not including fees. The Genesis reminds me of the RL/RLX. Extremely costly but value plummets after a short time. The TLX, you're sitting at $33k for the base. $36k for the V6. Then it jumps to $38k for the SH-AWD. Infiniti Q50, you're starting at $34k with the 2.0T. $38k for the 3.0T if you match it up with thr trims of the other models.

The 2.0T in the accord isn't really questionable. I've yet to hear anyone with issues from the Civic Type R, which is where the 2.0T in the Accord has a "de-tuned" motor from. Honda has had turbo motors for the past 3 years. No real issues. The Genesis....well...it's still a Hyundai. Just without Hyundai's badge on it. Just like they did with the EQUISS.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,815 Likes on 3,842 Posts
It is quite good but it's not all that lively if you know what I mean. If you're going in looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics, you'll be disappointed. If you're going in looking for Camry driving dynamics, you'll be thrilled.

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
I hated the new Accord when I saw the pics. Seeing it in person and the new features made me like it. But you're right. It's still an Accord. But people have to keep in mind. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, Kia....they're all economy brands. That's what it boils down to. They have some luxury to the higher trims but that's about all you'll get.

The Acura TL is an entry level luxury vehicle. Made to compete with Cadillac, BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti. So we'll have a little bias against the Accord.

The Kia Stinger is in a class all on it's own. There's nothing else it can really compete against because it has no real class.

The only vehicle I would consider really is the Infiniti Q50S. Don't hear about any problems with them. They hold value. Nice features. Good power. Nice selection of engines as well.

I'd go alone with the Genesis but I can't. Their value drops hard after the 1st couple of years. They do have some great features. Not much to choose from tho. Same with the Stinger. Not many colors to choose from. And to get the twin turbo model, you're sitting at $37k already. Not including fees. The Genesis reminds me of the RL/RLX. Extremely costly but value plummets after a short time. The TLX, you're sitting at $33k for the base. $36k for the V6. Then it jumps to $38k for the SH-AWD. Infiniti Q50, you're starting at $34k with the 2.0T. $38k for the 3.0T if you match it up with thr trims of the other models.

The 2.0T in the accord isn't really questionable. I've yet to hear anyone with issues from the Civic Type R, which is where the 2.0T in the Accord has a "de-tuned" motor from. Honda has had turbo motors for the past 3 years. No real issues. The Genesis....well...it's still a Hyundai. Just without Hyundai's badge on it. Just like they did with the EQUISS.
OP:
Main requirements are 4 doors, good space for 2 car seats, mid-20s or higher MPG combined, reliable, nothing over about $40k OTD, fun to drive.
You:
Accord is for peasants, buy this $50k Infiniti (when optioned equivalently to the Accord Touring) instead.
See the problem here? Also, no, they do not hold their value and they plummet in resale much the same as the Genesis does. A used (what I think is off lease given the miles) 2015 Q50 3.0T is now ~$25k which is the same as the Hyundai. Also, buying a new Genny is silly. If you want a new one, lease it. If you want to buy one, buy an off lease for peanuts.

OP, what I'd do is if you want a new zero mile car get the Accord. If you don't like it, you can sell without a ton of loss in value. If you are ok with used, getting a used Genny sedan is not a bad idea at all. Just make sure it's the most recent body style. If you don't like the Kia it'll be hard to sell without a massive loss in resale.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
RDX10 (03-12-2018), Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Accord has great MPG. I can fit 3 car seats in the back of mine.

2 Recaro's and the infant Graco. I'm sure the new Accord has more space in the back now too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flipster23:
00TL-P3.2 (03-20-2018), Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamDoe1

See the problem here? Also, no, they do not hold their value and they plummet in resale much the same as the Genesis does. A used (what I think is off lease given the miles) 2015 Q50 3.0T is now ~$25k which is the same as the Hyundai. Also, buying a new Genny is silly. If you want a new one, lease it. If you want to buy one, buy an off lease for peanuts.

OP, what I'd do is if you want a new zero mile car get the Accord. If you don't like it, you can sell without a ton of loss in value. If you are ok with used, getting a used Genny sedan is not a bad idea at all. Just make sure it's the most recent body style. If you don't like the Kia it'll be hard to sell without a massive loss in resale.
Then honestly, the Accord is the only one of those that will fit the bill. And you're right. Lease a Genesis. Same with a BMW. Lease them. Don't buy. Lol. Warranty stays intact and you don't lose out on anything really.

And I'll never say the Accord is for peasants nor ever suggest it. I'd love to have a 2018 Accord Touring myself. I only brought up the other entry luxury models because of the pricing of the Stinger. It's more priced toward the entry level luxury market than the economy market. Which what Honda is. The economy brand.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by RDX10

Different strokes for different folks, not sure why anyone would buy an Accord with a 2.0T and extremely questionable reliability when they can buy a used, tried an true, Genesis with a 3.8 V6 or 5.0 V8....see what I did there?
No I don't see what you did there at all.

Where did you get that "extremely questionable reliability?"

Genesis sedan doesn't come to my mind at all when someone wants a car that is fun to drive.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM
I drive a Subata.

It is quite good but it's not all that lively if you know what I mean. If you're going in looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics, you'll be disappointed. If you're going in looking for Camry driving dynamics, you'll be thrilled.
Don't think the OP is looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics. Simply saying that the newer Accord Sports are actually very nice cars even for driving in the canyons and tracks. The new engine is VERY responsive for the tunes too.

And I don't know which generation of BMW or Audi you are referring to but the new BMW and Audis are actually much less fun to drive than the older models. But let's not get there in this thread. Don't want to hijack it here.
Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

OP:

You:

Thank you, very very accurate post. I agree with all of this. Exactly why I recommended buying a used Genesis vs buying new one.

No I don't see what you did there at all.

Where did you get that "extremely questionable reliability?"

Genesis sedan doesn't come to my mind at all when someone wants a car that is fun to drive.
Then let me spoon feed you. The Accord is an econobox with some premium features. No matter what you might think, it may be competent but it’s not amazing. It’s a fwd family sedan from Honda, not sure what you think it is. Just how Toyota wants to go around touting the Camry XSE as a sports car, still a Camry. The Genesis is a true premium-Luxury sedan that shits all over the Accord (as it should since it costs so much more). No it’s not the most amazing handling sedan but it’s also competent and I would rather buy a used Genesis over any Acccord. OP asked for alternative opinions so I gave him mine, why do you seem so bothered by that?

Not sure if you had your head in the sand for the past 2 decades but let me enlighten you about Honda. This new Accord has a brand new 10 speed auto, late 90’s/early 2000’s Honda gave new meaning to the term “glass transmission”, then again in 2009-2011 there was issues the 6 speed AT, then again in 2016 when the 8DCT came out there were some issues, so what makes you think this most complex transmission Honda has ever made won’t also have issues too? So yes the reliability is questionable. I won’t count the ZF9 because that’s not Hondas fault. Also many Acuras are currently not recommended by a lot of publications because of their reliability. Honda isn’t what it used to be anymore and that’s evident here on the forum so let’s stop pretending that Honda is synonymous with reliability anymore. ESPECIALLY not a brand new model.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Ex-OEM King

Don't think the OP is looking for BMW or Audi driving dynamics. Simply saying that the newer Accord Sports are actually very nice cars even for driving in the canyons and tracks. The new engine is VERY responsive for the tunes too.

And I don't know which generation of BMW or Audi you are referring to but the new BMW and Audis are actually much less fun to drive than the older models. But let's not get there in this thread. Don't want to hijack it here.
The most current one, F30. No, they aren't as razor sharp as the E46 was but they are far different than any Honda you can buy today (save for the CTR). The Accord Sport is a good car that goes quickly and handles well but it won't light your pants on fire with excitement is all I'm getting at. It is enjoyable to drive but not fun. It's competent but not exceptional. If you want a solid daily driver that's cheap to buy and run, you could do a LOT worse than the new Accord but don't sell it as something it's not. Also, the vast majority of people don't tune their cars due to warranty issues.

Then let me spoon feed you. The Accord is an econobox with some premium features. No matter what you might think, it may be competent but it’s not amazing. It’s a fwd family sedan from Honda, not sure what you think it is. Just how Toyota wants to go around touting the Camry XSE as a sports car, still a Camry. The Genesis is a true premium-Luxury sedan that shits all over the Accord (as it should since it costs so much more). No it’s not the most amazing handling sedan but it’s also competent and I would rather buy a used Genesis over any Acccord. OP asked for alternative opinions so I gave him mine, why do you seem so bothered by that?
To be honest, the Accord is quite good within its segment and maybe even the next segment up. It isn't, however, a sport sedan even with the "Sport" badge on the trunk.

The Genesis is a good value for money car. It's not as good as the E Class or 5 Series but you pay a lot less to get one. It's a compromise car as well. The advantage is that you get a lot of the good, tangible features at a lower price point. The disadvantage is that you don't get many of the mechanical upsides as you would in the German cars.
RDX10 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

The most current one, F30. No, they aren't as razor sharp as the E46 was but they are far different than any Honda you can buy today (save for the CTR). The Accord Sport is a good car that goes quickly and handles well but it won't light your pants on fire with excitement is all I'm getting at. It is enjoyable to drive but not fun. It's competent but not exceptional. If you want a solid daily driver that's cheap to buy and run, you could do a LOT worse than the new Accord but don't sell it as something it's not. Also, the vast majority of people don't tune their cars due to warranty issues.

To be honest, the Accord is quite good within its segment and maybe even the next segment up. It isn't, however, a sport sedan even with the "Sport" badge on the trunk.

The Genesis is a good value for money car. It's not as good as the E Class or 5 Series but you pay a lot less to get one. It's a compromise car as well. The advantage is that you get a lot of the good, tangible features at a lower price point. The disadvantage is that you don't get many of the mechanical upsides as you would in the German cars.
No I fully agree with you. I am not trying to imply that the Accord does not handle well or that the genesis does handle amazingly well. I just took issue with like you said “don’t sell it as something it’s not”. OP asked for alternative options/opinions so I gave him mine and then JS comes in and sounds like a commercial for the Accord and states he’s not sure why someone would buy a Genesis over the Accord so I flipped that around on him. The Accord is a fwd family sedan that handles decently, whereas the Genesis is a RWD premium-Luxury sedan that also handles decently well but the availability of RWD/AWD pushes it higher up than the Accord for me in the handling department.

Also I fully agree that the Genesis is not better than the E-class or 5-Series, it’s just a very good car for the money (especially on the used market) which is why I suggested it to OP. I don’t know OP personally and it’s easy for me to tell him “go buy that Kia or go buy that Accord” but I can’t do that in good conscience. Which is exactly why I told him to go buy a used Genesis vs a New one.
SamDoe1 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Seems like someone is super sensitive over the Genny.

Sam, your post was perfect!
The following 4 users liked this post by Flipster23:
juniorbean (03-12-2018), RDX10 (03-12-2018), SamDoe1 (03-12-2018), Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23

Fuck day light savings time. I literally get so extremely edgy when the time changes for the first week. So yes I’m being over-sensitive as fuck. I normally wouldn’t even respond and just leave people to their own opinions. So yes sorry for being so damn sensitive.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

Fuck day light savings time. I literally get so extremely edgy when the time changes for the first week. So yes I’m being over-sensitive as fuck. I normally wouldn’t even respond and just leave people to their own opinions. So yes sorry for being so damn sensitive.
I was wondering. I didn't expect that from you.

Fucking losing an hour of sleep and being a Monday.
RDX10 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I was wondering. I didn't expect that from you.

Fucking losing an hour of sleep and being a Monday.
you’re not wrong at all. The combo of monday and losing an hour has made me an oversensitive little fucker. Not even going to try and sugar coat that. laughing at myself right now and how shitty I’m being for no reason
juniorbean (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Damn, lot of high emotion on this topic.

For me, the new Accord 2.0T looks/seems great and def would be on my short list if I were to be looking for a nice family sedan. Just test drive the candidates and go with your heart/gut. People enjoy diff cars for all kinds of reasons.
The following 3 users liked this post by nist7:
JS + XES (03-13-2018), Legend2TL (03-13-2018), Shadow2056 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Ex-OEM King

Thanks.

In all seriousness, I'd buy the Accord Sport 2.0T manual in a heartbeat if dealers were willing to do better on price. The dealer I went to for a test drive, as I was seriously interested, basically told me MSRP or pound sand...so I left. Why would I spend that kind of money on an Accord when I could get a lightly used, still under warranty BMW for a tiny bit more? If they start coming down in price, and get better lease options, I'd seriously consider one.

In other news...
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...rd-slow-sales/
Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 AM
I drive a Subata.

Not sure if you had your head in the sand for the past 2 decades but let me enlighten you about Honda. This new Accord has a brand new 10 speed auto, late 90’s/early 2000’s Honda gave new meaning to the term “glass transmission”, then again in 2009-2011 there was issues the 6 speed AT, then again in 2016 when the 8DCT came out there were some issues, so what makes you think this most complex transmission Honda has ever made won’t also have issues too? So yes the reliability is questionable. I won’t count the ZF9 because that’s not Hondas fault. Also many Acuras are currently not recommended by a lot of publications because of their reliability. Honda isn’t what it used to be anymore and that’s evident here on the forum so let’s stop pretending that Honda is synonymous with reliability anymore. ESPECIALLY not a brand new model.

Did OP say it needs to be automatic?? I never even considered recommending a AT on the car. Strictly basing my opinion on 2.0T 6MT trim. That's why I didn't know why you said the reliability on the Accord is extremely questionable. That statement bothered me. The Genesis sedan idea doesn't fit the fun to drive criteria at all.
Shadow2056 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Did OP say it needs to be automatic?? I never even considered recommending a AT on the car. Strictly basing my opinion on 2.0T 6MT trim. That's why I didn't know why you said the reliability on the Accord is extremely questionable. That statement bothered me. The Genesis sedan idea doesn't fit the fun to drive criteria at all.
I want to start off by apologizing again for yesterday, re-reading that and I am still cringing. What an ass I was.

OP said he was looking at the Accord Touring 2.0T which only comes in an automatic so that’s where I got the auto from. Now I understand where you are coming from, you were thinking manual and I was thinking auto so we were on completely different pages lol. I don’t think the Genesis is very fun in general, but I think if we’re comparing auto’s it might just be a little funner than an auto accord since it’s RWD based and also yes the Accord with the 10AT is where I was getting my questionable reliability statement from.

Jeez day 3 of DLS and I’m starting to think clearly again.
JS + XES (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Team Owner

isn't the 5.0L R-Spec a bit more entertaining to drive? I've never drove a Genesis, to date, so I can't comment one way or another. I'd imagine you can get an R-Spec for fairly cheap, now.

Either way.. 00TL hasn't been in here in days to tell us his thoughts...
Old 03-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Team Owner

He is visiting family right now in California.

He should be on sometime this week when he returns.
00TL-P3.2 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

isn't the 5.0L R-Spec a bit more entertaining to drive? I've never drove a Genesis, to date, so I can't comment one way or another. I'd imagine you can get an R-Spec for fairly cheap, now.

If I don’t have it wrong, Hyundai dropped the “R-Spec” trim/version when they switched over to the current gen body style. However the 5.0 model is available with an optional “sport package” that added a stiffer and sportier ride and better handling. As far as I know that package is not available on the 3.8 model. But pushing that aside OP mentioned he wanted decent MPG’s which from my understanding the 5.0 does not offer.

Apparently the Genesis was tuned by Lotus and I have A LOT of seat time in the Genesis H-Trac AWD model and if I am being fully honest it was competent but was not fun to drive (certainly a manual accord would be funner). I was expecting something much much livelier being tuned by lotus but if OP goes with the RWD model it lops off ~200 pounds which may make it funner to drive. On the positive side the 3.8 engine does sound very very good surprisingly.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

So to that question- is a 750i fun to drive? What about an s550? I have zero time behind the wheel of such big luxo cars, but how do they stack up? Granted, I expect the genesis to be on the shittier side, compared to the other two... but I still can't see them being fun. More so, designed to be comfortable first and foremost, above anything else.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Ex-OEM King

So to that question- is a 750i fun to drive? What about an s550? I have zero time behind the wheel of such big luxo cars, but how do they stack up? Granted, I expect the genesis to be on the shittier side, compared to the other two... but I still can't see them being fun. More so, designed to be comfortable first and foremost, above anything else.
Depends on your definition of fun to drive. If you want a canyon carver then no. If you want a rocketship, then yes. The big luxury cars are pretty quick in a straight line and can hold high speeds on the freeway without breaking a sweat because that's what they are designed for but they aren't going to compete at your next track day.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I have zero seat time in the 7 series and I’ve only been a passenger in a newer s550. I did drive a newer e400 though and that was incredibly boring. I’d imagine the 750i and s550 would be competent but boring too.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Why would there not be tuning options for the Kia?

The Accord and Stinger Premium both come with a 2.0T, putting out similar numbers. If there's tuning options for one, there'll be tuning options for the other. Errrbody always wants mo' powah!!

There was a couple of Stinger at SEMA that looked great. I don't recall any Accords. Stillen is hard at work for Stinger parts too. Being RWD it is going to attract the aftermarket a bit.

https://carbuzz.com/news/insanely-co...torm-into-sema
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 PM
I drive a Subata.

I want to start off by apologizing again for yesterday, re-reading that and I am still cringing. What an ass I was.

OP said he was looking at the Accord Touring 2.0T which only comes in an automatic so that’s where I got the auto from. Now I understand where you are coming from, you were thinking manual and I was thinking auto so we were on completely different pages lol. I don’t think the Genesis is very fun in general, but I think if we’re comparing auto’s it might just be a little funner than an auto accord since it’s RWD based and also yes the Accord with the 10AT is where I was getting my questionable reliability statement from.

Jeez day 3 of DLS and I’m starting to think clearly again.
That's okay. I have a 16 month son and a pregnant wifey who is due in about a month. I feel like I've been on PMS for awhile.

I've driven pretty much all Genesis trims including coupes. They are good cars but not very fun to drive to me at least. It's a nice cruiser.

Guess it's a subjective matter. But in general for car enthusiasts who enjoy dynamic driving, these cars are all pretty boring to drive. A fantastic luxury rocket ship cruisers with insane amount of options nowadays.
RDX10 (03-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accord Touring, Stinger Premium, or ?