Accident Damage Costs....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident Damage Costs....

So for the first time in 8 years I had an at fault accident at least I assume it will be my fault since I was backing up. We'll assume 5 mph because I didn't think anyone was behind me. Maybe she was moving forward maybe she wasn't. At the end of the story I was backing up in a fashion I shouldn't have been so fuck it, lesson learned.

Getting to the point. I just got the estimate. I wish I would have taken pictures. The damage to the car seemed SOOOO negligible. I considered paying out of my own pocket, but in the end didn't want to deal with it factoring rentals, calling body shops, etc, etc, etc. I turned it into insurance and got my rental. Based on an accident many years ago along similar lines I assumed it would be $250-300. Nope. $567 for bumper damage. FOR BUMPER DAMAGE!!!! WTF?! Take that times two and you're looking at $1100. Factor two rental cars for a week and you're at $1400 for a 5 mph parking lot accident.

However, what seems fucked up to me was they were charging OUTRAGEOUS labor. 1.4 hours to remove the bumper. What the fuck. They're charging $90 to take a goddamn bumper off. Apparently higher education doesn't mean shit. I could be making $90 an hour taking bumpers off!!! Last time I took off a bumper even with my gimpy tools it took me 30 minutes.

You see it's not the $500 that I have to shell out for the deductible. That's fine. It's how when I was hearing what they were charging to do certain things that I go good God are you serious? It was even Progressive that did the estimate. You would think they would be getting on body shops to keep their prices and labor timings in check. I don't know, whatever, I guess. I just think everything would be cheaper if we would all stop fucking each other over 10 different ways.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep. The gf was in an at-fault accident; the body shop estimate included removing everything for a fender replacement, including the door, body trim, corner light, kitchen sink, blah blah blah. The costs looked about the same as yours to fix a dent the size of a fist.

I think part of it is if it's your own car, you might skip the small stuff, but they're (legally?) bound to repair the car to its "original condition."
Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn 90 bucks for removing the bumper? No wonder insurance is so high, besides drivers my age and DUIs.

In that case if I had to pay out of my own pocket I'd just remove the bumper myself and save the money on that part of the labor.