Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

pretty cool!

Night and day better than the older TL/CL interior

Clutch feel is light. Shifter is pretty good. It needed to be broken in. It didn't feel BMW notchy when shifting. But it was nice.

Features! the TL has em...

From the remote you can lower and raise ALL of the windows and open/shut the moonroof. (same with the key using the doorlock) You can even make it only crack all 4 windows!

Stock stereo is night and day better than the blowse we have. Anyone who just wanted a bit more bass is in for a treat. It sounds great for a stock system.

Navi is fricken awesome! much bigger screen, better software... faster route calculations.

Seats are very comfortable, headrest makes it to the back of your head while your driving. good lumbar.

Seat heaters... passenger seat has both lowerback and butt warmers!

feel of all of the controls is better. (buttons, and knobs)

fit and finish on button/dash/steering wheel is much better.

Finally a trip computer!

oh ya, and very good trunk space.

Sorry anyone who compares the new and old TL and rates the old one better is smoking somthing. And or is jealous! heheh

Obviously looks can be argued. But I don't see how.

Only thing keeping me from buying one... FWD ... but who knows.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was supposed to go for a test-drive today but I didn't feel like going in. What really pisses me off about the new TL is the navigation. Why the fuck did it take so long for Acura to bring that shit to Canada?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Originally posted by SiGGy

From the remote you can lower and raise ALL of the windows and open/shut the moonroof. (same with the key using the doorlock) You can even make it only crack all 4 windows!
The remote actually can do even more - it will set your driver's side temperature setting preference, and set up your settings for when you want the door locks activated (when you shift out of park, when you hit 5mph, or neither), and when you want the doors to unlock (when car turns off, when car is put in park, neither), etc with each remote being different settings for different drivers if so desired.

very cool stuff in the new TL

And all it takes to tell how much better it looks is to sit it side by side with an old model and marvel at how much sportier, modern, and aggressive the new model looks.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Originally posted by JRock
The remote actually can do even more - it will set your driver's side temperature setting preference, and set up your settings for when you want the door locks activated (when you shift out of park, when you hit 5mph, or neither), and when you want the doors to open (when car turns off, when car is put in park, neither), etc.

very cool stuff in the new TL
ya I didn't have a sales person with me. I went out to the pet store to check out the new fish they got in. (lol, ya exciting eh)My buddy came with. It was about 9pm, and on the way back he said "hey, have you seen the new TL in person". So we stopped by the dealer on the way back. Oddly enough the dealer was closed but the showroom door was wide open. Lucky for us the owner was still there working, and was very friendly.

He was cool enough to give us keys to a 6MT TL out in the lot
Old 10-29-2003, 08:17 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool
Old 10-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Daily Driver

enough on the creature comforts, how was the driving? Acceleration, braking, cornering? How does the suspension and balance of a TL-6MT compare to a stock type-S?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Re: Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Originally posted by SiGGy

You can even make it only crack all 4 windows!

Only thing keeping me from buying one... FWD ...

Those are my 2 problems with the new TL:

4 windows as opposed to 2 (Coupe)
Needs to be AWD.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:54 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Red-CL

Needs to be AWD.

And that exterior doesn't agree with me.

Still a hot car.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
2 less doors (ala Jaydef design) and i am sold.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Red-CL

Needs to be AWD.

I think that, if the TL came with AWD, with that same engine, you'd regret saying the above, after driving both back to back. This engine already lacks respectable, absolute, torque numbers (mainly due to its low displacement, in general). The AWD will make the situation a lot worse, due to added weight and mainly due to added moving parts and added friction.

With AWD, the engine's got to make at least 270 pounds of torque, to be unaffected by the above.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
enough on the creature comforts, how was the driving? Acceleration, braking, cornering? How does the suspension and balance of a TL-6MT compare to a stock type-S?
brakes are night and day different on the 6mt to the CLS. I didn't beat the hell out of them. So I can't really say how'd they do on the track,BUT I didn't feel any fade at all. And the brakes felt very precise compared to the CLS stocks.

handling felt about the same. nothing too noticable.

My CLS is faster, but I have H/I. Acceleration is good.

I exepct the 10hp extra comes from the CAI that's build into the new TL.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Originally posted by gavriil
I think that, if the TL came with AWD, with that same engine, you'd regret saying the above, after driving both back to back. This engine already lacks respectable, absolute, torque numbers (mainly due to its low displacement, in general). The AWD will make the situation a lot worse, due to added weight and mainly due to added moving parts and added friction.

With AWD, the engine's got to make at least 270 pounds of torque, to be unaffected by the above.
I posted something to that regard in a different thread (AWD vs nonAWD) and got chewed up one side and down the other. (Someone even had the gall to post that an AWD would weigh less than a FWD and that only Honda could do that. Apparently, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Audi couldnt figure it out after decades of doing both)

That said, I totally agree. Not to mention, a number of the Eclipse GST/X and Talon TSi guys would agree also.

Peace.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Was in a 6MT 04 TL earlier tonight

Originally posted by F23A4
I posted something to that regard in a different thread (AWD vs nonAWD) and got chewed up one side and down the other. (Someone even had the gall to post that an AWD would weigh less than a FWD and that only Honda could do that. Apparently, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Audi couldnt figure it out after decades of doing both)

That said, I totally agree. Not to mention, a number of the Eclipse GST/X and Talon TSi guys would agree also.

Peace.
I was an ex-TALON TSi AWD (1996) owner. Miss those days of the endless lag and the huge punch of the 4G63. I remember when I test drove the CLS, 330Ci and IS300 in the summer of 2000, I was like...."these things are slow..."