The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Pffft...

Tier 1: Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce
Tier 10: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi
Tier 11: Lexus, Infiniti
Tier 20: Acura
Lexus is a cut above Infinity....more wide variety of vehicles...and not to mention a very nice halo car....LFA ftw.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,774 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Lexus is a cut above Infinity....more wide variety of vehicles...and not to mention a very nice halo car....LFA ftw.
Fine. Move Infiniti down a notch. Not a biggie. Just thought we should be clear on tiers.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Tier 19: Nissan.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Fine. Move Infiniti down a notch. Not a biggie. Just thought we should be clear on tiers.
...and how dare you put Aston Martin with other makes....they should be in a tier of their own!!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Tier 0: AM
Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
"Lost???"

Do tell!

Details, details. Everyone likes a good mystery.

Seriously though, what happened?
The car arrived at the Jersey City port in NJ in early April. I called them ASAP to instruct them not to install the front plate. I didn't hear anything by the end of April so I called them in May and they started giving me the run around. First they said the wait is normal then they said X days...finally they said they have no idea where the car is.

Apparently some point during the preparation process the car was either damaged or stolen. In any case I don't want it if its been damaged or stolen. We have done business with this BMW dealership for our Acura, our 2 BMW's, and done business with the sister Lexus dealership. The dealerships behavior is disappointing. If we don't get a resolution in the next 3 weeks.... I will personally make sure this dealerships reputation is slandered. BMW NA has offered me with the dealer...dealer cost labor for our 325xi but IMO I think they need to do more to earn our business again.

$60k car...how does one lose a 60k car?????

And I don't think Infiniti/Acura are up there with Lexus yet. Lexus is a brand about luxury/status...Infiniti and Acura have not made it there yet. I would rank Acura and Infiniti equal.

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 05-20-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
My pimpin 528i loaner with my buddy's new X3 Msport

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
The car arrived at the Jersey City port in NJ in early April. I called them ASAP to instruct them not to install the front plate. I didn't hear anything by the end of April so I called them in May and they started giving me the run around. First they said the wait is normal then they said X days...finally they said they have no idea where the car is.

Apparently some point during the preparation process the car was either damaged or stolen. In any case I don't want it if its been damaged or stolen. We have done business with this BMW dealership for our Acura, our 2 BMW's, and done business with the sister Lexus dealership. The dealerships behavior is disappointing. If we don't get a resolution in the next 3 weeks.... I will personally make sure this dealerships reputation is slandered. BMW NA has offered me with the dealer...dealer cost labor for our 325xi but IMO I think they need to do more to earn our business again.

Absolutely un-freakin'-believable! These cars are tracked every time they move 10 feet. How this could have happened is absolutely astonishing. I'll tell you one thing -- someone is going to lose their job behind this.

Have you already paid for this vehicle? What does the dealership say they're going to do at this point? Continue to "look for it," find you an identical (or similar) new car from another dealership and have it trucked in, reorder a car for you from Germany or simply cancel the order and refund your money?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 PM
A6 and TL

Absolutely un-freakin'-believable! These cars are tracked every time they move 10 feet. How this could have happened is absolutely astonishing. I'll tell you one thing -- someone is going to lose their job behind this.

Have you already paid for this vehicle? What does the dealership say they're going to do at this point? Continue to "look for it," find you an identical (or similar) new car from another dealership and have it trucked in, reorder a car for you from Germany or simply cancel the order and refund your money?
Second time order has been messed up. We are looking at our options and so far the dealership has not offered anything....after 3 weeks they will get back to us.

Its almost been 4 months and we have no car. The least they can do us is offer a loaner for the time being. But no they can't offer us anything...... they gave us a 328xi that was dirty inside and out for two days and then called asking for it because they are in "shortage" of loaners.

With the amount of business we have done with this dealer this is unacceptable. If they do cancel the order we are going to order from another dealer where we bought our first 5. Even though its 2.5 hours away they have better customer service.

We already talked to our old salesman at the other dealer and they can offer us a sweet deal on a 550...and they are even willing to give us a deep discount on the Dinan Stage 1 tune. That would produce 495HP and 573LB of torque.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

You can always bail on an ordered car regardless of where it is in transit. Even if its at the dealer you can still walk away from it.

Its not your car till you sign the papers.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
if you don't like hassles spending time at dealerships and figuring out wtf is wrong with your ride stay away from BMW. I have had 3 bimmers in my life: 135, 323, 525 and they are/were all very UNreliable. personally i do not like the new 5 series, their electric steering is just a big turn off for me. i prefer the 2012 Benz CLS class, 518HP supercharged V8...nothing comes close to this car. or even the base model 402hp engine is pretty powerful at low revs compared to BMW

Last edited by pickler; 05-20-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pickler
if you don't like hassles spending time at dealerships and figuring out wtf is wrong with your ride stay away from BMW. I have had 3 bimmers in my life: 135, 323, 525 and they are/were all very UNreliable. personally i do not like the new 5 series, their electric steering is just a big turn off for me. i prefer the 2012 Benz CLS class, 518HP supercharged V8...nothing comes close to this car. or even the base model 402hp engine is pretty powerful at low revs compared to BMW

CLS63 is turbocharged.

Also did you just compare a 95k car to a 535 and A6? Why stop there, lets throw in Aston Martin Rapide!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
CLS63 is turbocharged.

Also did you just compare a 95k car to a 535 and A6? Why stop there, lets throw in Aston Martin Rapide!
I'm comparing it with the BMW 550 msrp 66,000. and no the CLS 550 starts at $71300.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:12 AM
A6 and TL

^^ If you think BMW has problems wait until you go to the Mercedes side. Out of all the German cars I think BMW is the most reliable. While our 06 ML350 was reliable until we traded it in (100k miles) I hear far more horror stories with Mercedes then I do with BMW.

What kind of problems did you have with your 323/525?/135?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
^^ If you think BMW has problems wait until you go to the Mercedes side. Out of all the German cars I think BMW is the most reliable.
^ yet these are the cars that cost more...yet these are the cars people love comparing to acura ....yet these are the cars people put over acura..........seems just as dumb as the tmobile commercial ..............when the guy from the other phone company said "sometimes u have to pay more to be slower"...........................REALLY i am going to go spend more on a less reliable car ..............smh ......just doesn't make any sense...
Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Pro

I have a 528i loaner today. Its a nice car but im so not ready for something this soft and quiet yet.
^ i think the 528 makes just as little sense than the G25.........well i actuallly take that back ...because the 218hp G25 only starts at 32K while the 240 hp starts at 45K..
Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,129 Likes on 2,565 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
i would have to root for the underdog as usual AUDI........i feel audi is and has been to the German car market what acura is to the Japanese car market .........as most said when it comes down to the feel and sportier looks the BMW is the winner but in comparison to everything else don't really see much difference in the two cars ...i personally like both ...but if i had the choice to purchase either i would really have to look for the better offer ....................that's how much of a close call that is ....with those 2 cars.....
In many ways Audi is to the German market what Acura is to the Japanese market.

1) Both come from FWD roots
2) After the alignment of NSU Auto Union with VW in the 70's. Audi used VW platforms as their basis for chassis and drivetrain. Audi Fox/4000/80/A4 have used VW plaforms similar to Acura and Honda platforms
3) Audi went toward AWD in the 80's with their Quatro platforms, it took Acura another couple decades to follow that route.
4) Both Acura and Audi developed a mid-engined sports car (NSX and R8).
5) Both have gone into motorsports to dominate their respective classes. Although Acura/Honda was only a engine supplier when their powerplants ruled F1 for six years.

I see two differences though, Audi has move beyond Acura with trying for the tier-1 status. They also have never come close to Acura's quality and reliability status.

As to the OP, both look like nice cars. I've only seen a new 5 series and it looks great. I've always preferred BMW's to Audi's, and although these cars are close I go with the 5.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

^ i think the 528 makes just as little sense than the G25.........well i actuallly take that back ...because the 218hp G25 only starts at 32K while the 240 hp starts at 45K..
I beg to differ. There was no time I thought the 528i was underpowered for city driving. Plus not everyone needs a car that does 13s.

I'm glad these companies give options on engine choices.

I'm going to miss the silky smooth inline6.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,129 Likes on 2,565 Posts
6) One last area is their use of aluminum for the entire chassis on the NSX and A8. With the exception of Jaguar, I'm not sure of any other mass production cars that use all-aluminum for their uni-body chassis.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 AM
A6 and TL

^ yet these are the cars that cost more...yet these are the cars people love comparing to acura ....yet these are the cars people put over acura..........seems just as dumb as the tmobile commercial ..............when the guy from the other phone company said "sometimes u have to pay more to be slower"...........................REALLY i am going to go spend more on a less reliable car ..............smh ......just doesn't make any sense...
Have you ever driven a BMW? Go drive one and then compare it to Acura. Acura cars are fun to drive when compared to Lexus but its still no drivers car and FWD really limits Acura as a brand. Drive a BMW and you will see.

Most people that have problems with German cars are not used to the expensive maintenance costs of German cars. On my Acura a oil change costs $25 and brake job for a set of brakes is $500. On our BMW's its $110 for oil change and $800 for a set of brakes.

DIY Oil Change on BMW costs $60 and the oil lasts for 15k miles so I think its worth it and in the end it costs the same. Acura oil that is $25 lasts 5k miles, so for 15k miles it will actually cost you $75.

Not to mention for BMW you don't pay a cent for anything other then tires/gas the first 50k and that is well worth it.

I find most people that complain about BMW have never even owned one and are going on about "stories" they have heard from a cousin or friend or something.

If you buy a 2003 BMW 745i for $10k with 90k miles you are still doing maintenance on a car that was originally $70k.

The 528i is a great car (Not that I am biased or anything )...but really for the price I think its worth it. At the time of getting the 528i, the 535i (N54 Engine) were coming out with sketchy reports due to the HPFP so we passed on it. I love the I6 engine its so smooth and now that BMW is moving to all turbo I think the N52 I6 3.0 engine will be a great classic!

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 05-21-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Pro

I beg to differ. There was no time I thought the 528i was underpowered for city driving. Plus not everyone needs a car that does 13s.

I'm glad these companies give options on engine choices.

I'm going to miss the silky smooth inline6.
i don't disagree on that ...and me living in N.Y knows that there is no real need for tremendous horse power ...where are you really going to use it in N.Y? no where really ......so don't disagre at all i've actually mentioned that in other threads when comparing hp's ...........but i just think that with the 5 series 528 for what it has to offer .......45K is a bit much when you could get similiar features in other vehicles and bmw has not yet been deemed a reliable car LONG-TERM anyway ......................but thats just my personal opinion from those i know have owned bmw's and remarks on forums from bmw owners...........just as ive said before i also know owners who have had no issues with their bmw's and have had a couple of friends with audi's that had no complaints...........................the 528 and 525 was cars i was looking into when trading in my 06 TL i had the option to get what ever i wanted ...........i went with the TL because I felt i got more for my money ...with it ......i still eye 5 series daily and will maybe 1 day have one dpending on what acura does in te future with their cars ..........i am on my 3rd TL def want to try something different in the future unless acura captivates me again ..................but all my cars as i get another one they go up in features and HP so it would be hard for me to look at anything POWER WISE less than what i would be stepping out of.....
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,072 Likes on 3,903 Posts
^
Just a question. Why no periods? Just a bunch of......in all of your posts.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Pro

Have you ever driven a BMW? Go drive one and then compare it to Acura.
but ofcourse i have .... a 3series ......never anything more though .......and trust i understand everything everyone is saying and i am not knocking BMW at all....i love BMW's and even with my 11 TL have been looking to trade in for a 5 series to try somethign different .........at the time i drove the 3 series i owned the 06 TL and said to myself i loved the way the 3 series drove over the TL hands down ...........as u said my opinions are based off of forums and friends i know that own/owned bmw's i have no experience in my own........and you are also right about the fact that the peple that have owned them bought them used with high mileage.........i have only know 2 people to get them with low mileage my boy who has an 05 745 and another freind who just leases bmw's and neither have had problems what so ever per them ............................i will go test drive a 5 series both 528 and 535 ........in my personal thougts coming from a 280 hp car to a car with 240 hp i might not be happy but it's just an assumtion as i said .......especially since my 06 TL had around 260 horses ...............................BUT JUST FOR THE RECORD I DO LIKE BMW'S NO BIAS HERE .....
Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pttl
^
Just a question. Why no periods? Just a bunch of......in all of your posts.

because when i used to just put a period i had a person just like you tell me everything was to bunched up and i needed more seperation .
Old 05-21-2011, 12:05 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

use paragraphs........
Old 05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And I don't think Infiniti/Acura are up there with Lexus yet. Lexus is a brand about luxury/status...Infiniti and Acura have not made it there yet. I would rank Acura and Infiniti equal.
Cars getting stolen from the port happens all the time, and not just BMWs. The port is the easiest place to steal a car from since the security is spread thin considering the size of most of the unloading areas and once its stolen it goes right into a container where your gps tracking becomes worthless.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Cars getting stolen from the port happens all the time, and not just BMWs. The port is the easiest place to steal a car from since the security is spread thin considering the size of most of the unloading areas and once its stolen it goes right into a container where your gps tracking becomes worthless.
But what do you make of the dealer not stepping up to the plate for this long time customer? That's simply appalling business practice. When you're spending that kind of money you expect to be treated to a first class dealership/purchasing experience. This would be unthinkably horrible if it happened in a Kia dealership. In a BMW dealership it's just unspeakbly bad. Say what you want about Lexus cars, I can tell you having owned three that this would NEVER have happened at any Lexus dealership I've dealt with.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 PM
A6 and TL

but ofcourse i have .... a 3series ......never anything more though .......and trust i understand everything everyone is saying and i am not knocking BMW at all....i love BMW's and even with my 11 TL have been looking to trade in for a 5 series to try somethign different .........at the time i drove the 3 series i owned the 06 TL and said to myself i loved the way the 3 series drove over the TL hands down ...........as u said my opinions are based off of forums and friends i know that own/owned bmw's i have no experience in my own........and you are also right about the fact that the peple that have owned them bought them used with high mileage.........i have only know 2 people to get them with low mileage my boy who has an 05 745 and another freind who just leases bmw's and neither have had problems what so ever per them ............................i will go test drive a 5 series both 528 and 535 ........in my personal thougts coming from a 280 hp car to a car with 240 hp i might not be happy but it's just an assumtion as i said .......especially since my 06 TL had around 260 horses ...............................BUT JUST FOR THE RECORD I DO LIKE BMW'S NO BIAS HERE .....
I see. Well I own a 3G TL and a 528i. Even though the TL is "faster" on paper then my 528i, the 528i honestly feels much faster for a number of reasons. The biggest being because it has more torque and is RWD. The six speed transmission also makes a difference.

I would suggest to try a 528i if you don't like it try the 535i.

But what do you make of the dealer not stepping up to the plate for this long time customer? That's simply appalling business practice. When you're spending that kind of money you expect to be treated to a first class dealership/purchasing experience. This would be unthinkably horrible if it happened in a Kia dealership. In a BMW dealership it's just unspeakbly bad. Say what you want about Lexus cars, I can tell you having owned three that this would NEVER have happened at any Lexus dealership I've dealt with.
Yeah I think this should not happen anywhere. Lets see what the dealer does.. I will call them Monday.