The 50 Greatest American Sports Cars of All-Time...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by CanopyFlyer
Yes I know, and it disgusts me to no end. Don't worry, it's not just the Mustang that I feel that way about, the Camaro and Firebird of that era earned my ire as well.
Ah.... the famous (infamous) third gen (turd gen) F-Body

Running gag on LS1tech... and other F-Body forums too.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It was almost the same as the NA 4.3 in every way. No relation to the 3.8L. They don't share a single part.

The "turbo" 3.8L got a rolled fillet crank but it was the same NA casting. It got beefier "turbo" pistons with an iron insert but they were still cast. Otherwise the turbo 3.8L and non turbo 3.8L were the same. We just got lucky that the anemic 110hp NA 3.8L was severely overbuilt and required very little for turbo use. Even the heads are identical except the turbo heads don't have the valve guide area machined to accept exhaust valve seals and they got inconel exhaust valves.

The 4.3L on the other hand would only touch on 400hp before it needed good internals. The rods were the biggest weak link. The strong point is a set of upgraded heads and some internals were cheaper than the Buick stuff but until you're deep in the 10s, the 3.8L did not need upgrades.
Good info, thanks for posting that. I had always thought that the Buick 3.8 was an option for Sy/Ty owners when their block gave up the ghost. It's been a while since I've lurked on turbobuick.com.

Is the 278 Buick Stage 2 block similar to the 4.3? The ones I've seen have had the Power 6 symbol cast into the side of the block which leads me to believe that they're different as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Good info, thanks for posting that. I had always thought that the Buick 3.8 was an option for Sy/Ty owners when their block gave up the ghost. It's been a while since I've lurked on turbobuick.com.

Is the 278 Buick Stage 2 block similar to the 4.3? The ones I've seen have had the Power 6 symbol cast into the side of the block which leads me to believe that they're different as well.
The 4.1 and 3.8L stage II blocks are closely based on the production Buick blocks. You can get them in on center and off center with off center being a direct bolt up to all factory accessories. Bores are 3.8" and 3.95". You can take them .080 over. If I remember right my father's had to go .080 over due to some scoring. Do that in a production block and you're into water.

The stage II blocks use 4 bolt mains, thicker cylinder walls, thicker deck, more meat in the main webbing, cam moved up higher to clear stroker cranks, I'm sure there's more but it's been 6 years since we assembled my father's stage II.

All production hardware (crank, cams, etc) can be stuffed into the stage blocks. On center blocks required an on center intake manifold and spacing of the accessories to align pulleys.

There was a stage I also which had the same features as the stage II but with 2 bolt mains. Unlike production blocks, there was material to drill the extra holes and convert to 4 bolts.

I also saw the rare Indy block one time at Duttweilers. Aluminum 6 bolt mains. I could pick it up and throw it with one hand lol.