AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   4X4's with Locking Differentials?? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/4x4s-locking-differentials-332529/)

Crazy88 02-20-2006 10:52 PM

4X4's with Locking Differentials??

Just a quick question on the SUVs offered with locking differentials, from the 90s or 00s.

What other ones have a locking diff?

heres what i came up with:
Jeep Rubicon ( front and rear)
Mercedes G Wagen (front, center, rear)
Dodge Power Wagon (front and rear)
'92-'97 Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX450 (front and rear)
1998+ Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX470 (center)
2001+ Chevy Tahoe Z71 (automatic locking rear)
Hummer H1 (front and rear)
Hummer H2 and H3 (rear)

IMHO I think that fully automatic lockers like in the Tahoe are stupid as well as having just rear lockers. But hey i guess its better than not having any at all.

demolition_x 02-20-2006 11:34 PM

i know 99ish 4runners have locking diffs, if not all around just rear.

ilitig8 02-21-2006 05:54 AM

Too lazy to look but doesn't the T-egg have some lockers in there somewhere?

RandyMax 02-21-2006 11:11 AM

Mitsubishi Monteros have locking center and rear diffs.

Water-S 02-21-2006 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RandyMax
Mitsubishi Monteros have locking center and rear diffs.

kick @ss my my brother-in-law has a 03 Montero didn't know that. :toocool:

leftride 02-21-2006 06:10 PM

Toyota RAV4 (locking center i belive)

AS3.0CL 02-21-2006 08:50 PM

infinit QX4, locks the center, i think also the hubbs, but i'll check

Crazy88 02-21-2006 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
infinit QX4, locks the center, i think also the hubbs, but i'll check

Your right, I totally forgot about the Q and its center lockers. I think once you switch from 2hi or auto into 4hi or 4lo, it automatically locks the center.

As far as hard-core offroading goes, I would think that having Front/Rear lockers would be better than having just a center locker. Right?

Sarlacc 02-21-2006 10:10 PM

I think my pathfinder has them.

EDIT: NM...has Auto Lock free running hubs....should be the same for the infiniti then too.

AS3.0CL 02-22-2006 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy88
Your right, I totally forgot about the Q and its center lockers. I think once you switch from 2hi or auto into 4hi or 4lo, it automatically locks the center.

As far as hard-core offroading goes, I would think that having Front/Rear lockers would be better than having just a center locker. Right?

Well i do drive the QX4 but i only had it for a few months, but i know for sure the center diff locks, so it distributes power equally to the front and rear, but i'm not so sure about them individually. mine has 2wd, then auto(which if the turck feels the rear slipping and not grabbing it puts power to the front, trust me u can feel this lol), 4hi locks the center, and then also 4lo which also locks.

i've benn in two big snow storms with this thing in New Englang and have never gotten stuck where everyone else has, i've gone through snow more then a foot deep no problem in 4hi. plus i have taken it off roading, i love the thing i can never get it stuck, me and my dad ave tried it's like impossible.