25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

2019 Mazda 3 - FWD or AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
It is quite clear you enjoy taking things entirely out of context; doesn't improved your arguments one bit. As for driving a 2WD car in snow (regardless of whether it is FWD or RWD), they do perfectly well and are more than capable of getting from point A to point B on the few days per year when AWD would provide a clear and undisputed advantage.

The argument I'm making, and the argument which seems to annoy the hell out of you, is when you weigh the advantage for a few days per year versus the extra expense and irrelevance for the rest of the year, AWD isn't worth it, simple as that. Like it or don't, my opinion is AWD is something the manufacturers have taught they cannot do without (except in limited circumstances); your opinion is quite to the contrary, I'm okay with that.

As an aside, if I remember correctly, this isn't the first time you've acted out based upon something I've said and come out of the woodwork to shout me down. Okay, so you don't like me, I'm okay with that too.

Why don't we just agree to disagree and move on.
To be fair, your point is valid. The drivetrain may not be a critical factor if you get the right treads, FWD vs. AWD is going to be manageable. THAT being said, the OP here is in a climate that is very similar to Chicago except for extended winters due to his northbound location on the planet. It makes sense to consider AWD for that extra bit of traction...it's NOT a show-stopper but if he's considering it, the merits are worthwhile. If I were say, in a region where the winters are bit more manageable, then yeah, FWD may be good enough.

Again, not saying if West6MT goes for the FWD Mazda that he's going to go OMG and regret it next winter esp. if he invests in a good set of tires. Still, the extra traction helps on hills and turns esp. if he's traversing in a blizzard. Just my ...

Last edited by Yumcha; 03-17-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
To be fair, your point is valid. The drivetrain is a critical factor and if you get the right treads, FWD vs. AWD is going to be manageable. THAT being said, the OP here is in a climate that is very similar to Chicago except for extended winters due to his northbound location on the planet. It makes sense to consider AWD for that extra bit of traction...it's NOT a show-stopper but if he's considering it, the merits are worthwhile. If I were say, in a region where the winters are bit more manageable, then yeah, FWD may be good enough.

Again, not saying if West6MT goes for the FWD Mazda that he's going to go OMG and regret it next winter esp. if he invests in a good set of tires. Still, the extra traction helps on hills and turns esp. if he's traversing in a blizzard. Just my ...
Funny thing though, I live in an area which is MUCH hillier than either the Chicago or Toronto metropolitan areas, and get a third to half again as much snow per year. Slap a set of winter rubber on either an FWD or RWD car not much will stop you until the snow gets so deep the car will be rendered a snow plow.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Funny thing though, I live in an area which is MUCH hillier than either the Chicago or Toronto metropolitan areas, and get a third to half again as much snow per year. Slap a set of winter rubber on either an FWD or RWD car not much will stop you until the snow gets so deep the car will be rendered a snow plow.
Right. This is why I had suggested to West6MT to consider a CX-3 if he's going to get an AWD Mazda. The extra bit of clearance is helpful. Keyword: helpful...without the right treads, it does not matter.

The Infiniti FX is a RWD vehicle but in snowy days, even with some decent Blizzaks, I'm engaging the full-on AWD mode and staying that way just because that extra bit of grip/traction helps move us forward. Peace of mind is a good thing when dealing with the elements esp. when the visibility isn't great, temperatures are beyond frigid, and you just want to get to your destination.

So, per my post to you and your debate with Sam, you have a point...just saying that having an AWD platform is helpful (the keyword here). Not a show-stopper.
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
It is quite clear you enjoy taking things entirely out of context; doesn't improved your arguments one bit. As for driving a 2WD car in snow (regardless of whether it is FWD or RWD), they do perfectly well and are more than capable of getting from point A to point B on the few days per year when AWD would provide a clear and undisputed advantage.

The argument I'm making, and the argument which seems to annoy the hell out of you, is when you weigh the advantage for a few days per year versus the extra expense and irrelevance for the rest of the year, AWD isn't worth it, simple as that. Like it or don't, my opinion is AWD is something the manufacturers have taught they cannot do without (except in limited circumstances); your opinion is quite to the contrary, I'm okay with that.

As an aside, if I remember correctly, this isn't the first time you've acted out based upon something I've said and come out of the woodwork to shout me down. Okay, so you don't like me, I'm okay with that too.

Why don't we just agree to disagree and move on.
Huh? It's not at all annoying me. Why is it that my opinion carries less weight than yours? That seems pretty bizarre. Anyway, just because I disagree with your assessment doesn't mean I don't like you. I disagree with lots of people on lots of things, so that's a pretty ridiculous conclusion to arrive at.

Anyway. About your comment that it's only useful a couple days a year or whatever. That's probably very true but if you are buying AWD as a safety/mobility aid then that's exactly what you buy it for. I didn't buy a SawStop table saw because I'll be using the brake feature all the time, I paid extra for the one time that I need it. Ditto for all safety features that are added to cars routinely. If you get stuck once where AWD could have helped and you've paid for the system already. Tows aren't cheap.

Whatever though, it doesn't really matter to me which way OP, or you, go in terms of what drivetrain to buy, I'm just offering my opinion on the matter as someone who lives in an equally snowy/cold area.

Right. This is why I had suggested to West6MT to consider a CX-3 if he's going to get an AWD Mazda. The extra bit of clearance is helpful. Keyword: helpful...without the right treads, it does not matter.

The Infiniti FX is a RWD vehicle but in snowy days, even with some decent Blizzaks, I'm engaging the full-on AWD mode and staying that way just because that extra bit of grip/traction helps move us forward. Peace of mind is a good thing when dealing with the elements esp. when the visibility isn't great, temperatures are beyond frigid, and you just want to get to your destination.

So, per my post to you and your debate with Sam, you have a point...just saying that having an AWD platform is helpful (the keyword here). Not a show-stopper.
I agree with this. If you have the money to buy it, go for it. If you don't want to put the cash in, you'll probably be fine with the right tires.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Okay...then, for sure, this warrants the extra bit of $$ for the AWD drive-train sir. Speaking of the CX-3, have you considered the hot hatch? It's got a touch more clearance but is fantastically practical for a small crossover. Nimble and fun are the 2 words I would best describe it in my times test-driving the car and putting it through the paces a bit when I was shopping with my Mom. Albeit, the Mazda3 is fantastic too but if you have more snow, you may find that extra smidge of clearance a bit more peace of mind. Given you are in Ontario, I also think the plastic wheel-wheels as per the CX-3 may be longer-lasting than the all-metal format for the sedan. Again, something to ponder.

Color-wise, I like the gray and again, given the longer and sloppier winters, find that color to be a bit more manageable? This is not really factor per se...just a thought.
The CX-3 trunk is just too small, so that's a non starter for considering that. If I was going to get a different model Mazda, it'd be the CX-5. We were going to consider that, but I don't need the space often enough to warranty it really (as well as extra $, worse mileage, etc). Also, the new 3 is a massive jump up in some respects, like the interior, the GUI (GUI is a big improvement area), etc.

Yeah, I saw a dirty red mazda today, and thought to myself,...it's the Polymetal grey for me. I mean really,...

I do go up north sometimes in winter to Provincial/National parks (lately friends have been driving), which can mean some more intense snow/winter conditions you cannot always avoid. Although I have seen some fairly deep snow before up north, I don't think that's common enough to warrant a higher ride height vehicle (although that would be handy once in a blue moon - borrowed my dad's escape once, and it came in handy in a deep parking lot). Generally it can be avoided (like an unplowed road/parking lot) unless it's a crazy snow dump and the plows haven't been down roads yet where you're travelling. The city I live in now gets more snow than Toronto. I was away for like 4 days one week this winter, and when I came home there was a good foot of snow in the driveway. Toronto had almost nothing during that same period (family there). I do live in a relatively flat area, and my commute is flat as well.

Last edited by West6MT; 03-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Yumcha (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Latent car nut

And don't forget, the Mazda3 GT is a heck of a lot more fun to drive compared to the CX-5.
West6MT (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

And don't forget, the Mazda3 GT is a heck of a lot more fun to drive compared to the CX-5.
Ha, yeah that was a factor for going with the mazda 3 vs something like a CX-5 as well. It is a great pkg, doing a lot of things quite well. Driving dynamics being one of them.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road, hoping the 5-door looks better in person than in photos.
As far as AWD vs FWD, I live in Houston, so FWD would likely be sufficient for me, but with snow/ice, I think the extra expense for AWD would be worth it.

Colors, I like their Machine Gray & Crystal Blue. The Crystal Blue would've been my choice had I gone with the new 6.
West6MT (03-20-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts

What Do You Want to Know About the All-Wheel Drive 2019 Mazda 3?

West6MT (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks @nanxun , I saw that yesterday. There is a media embargo apparently until this Saturday. I am dying to see reviews from certain journalists.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road, hoping the 5-door looks better in person than in photos.
As far as AWD vs FWD, I live in Houston, so FWD would likely be sufficient for me, but with snow/ice, I think the extra expense for AWD would be worth it.

Colors, I like their Machine Gray & Crystal Blue. The Crystal Blue would've been my choice had I gone with the new 6.
I have been struggling with colours a lot. Most of them are nice, and I actually put in an order on a car,....but I am changing it now I think. Might go black with red inside, or black on black to get the car faster.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by West6MT
Thanks @nanxun , I saw that yesterday. There is a media embargo apparently until this Saturday. I am dying to see reviews from certain journalists.

I have been struggling with colours a lot. Most of them are nice, and I actually put in an order on a car,....but I am changing it now I think. Might go black with red inside, or black on black to get the car faster.
Get what you want, don't be impatient to get something you'll regret or not like as much.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (03-20-2019), West6MT (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Get what you want, don't be impatient to get something you'll regret or not like as much.
+1

What he said, esp. since you're buying new ....

West6MT (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Latent car nut

Agreed. We ordered ours late March of 2016 for a May delivery, then "Mother Nature" happened (see link below); we ended up finally taking delivery in July. We don't regret the decision one bit.
West6MT (03-20-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

https://jalopnik.com/the-all-wheel-d...-yo-1833495042

The 2019 Mazda 3 is already smoother and quieter than the previous generation, but, for the first time, it also comes with an all-wheel drive variant. Should you spend some extra cash to send power to all four wheels now? Yes, you absolutely should.Since its inception, the Mazda 3 has been a fun, affordable and fuel-efficient car that stood out…

First off, though, we should ask ourselves, will people even buy this car?

Some people will, surely, but Mazda’s sales numbers reflect some troubling realities in the U.S. market for small sedans and hatchbacks. Sales for the Mazda 3 were down 13.8 percent last year compared to the year before, while sales for the Mazda 6 and Miata were also down. Sales for the company’s line of SUVs, the CX-3, CX-5, and CX-9, however, were up.

These trends are hardly remarkable in an era when Ford has decided to give up on sedans and small altogether, but it’s impressive that, rather than take their toys and go home, Mazda has decided to lean into its image of making small-ish, sensible, fun, well-built cars. The new Mazda 3, in this regard, is no exception, and now it comes with optional AWD.

That option lifts the new Mazda 3 from Good Car to Something Better Than Good Car. Will it be enough? From Mazda’s perspective, it won’t matter; the company has long been all-in on sedans small cars. It has also, quite intentionally so, chosen to zig when everyone else in the industry is zagging. When other companies are investing billions in electric cars, Mazda developed its own “holy grail” gas engine. When others are invested in autonomous driving, Mazda has said, well, fuck that, let’s focus on driving dynamics. Part of this is a function of being a small company, so what seem like choices may in fact be the limited options of a company bound by its own finite resources and need for strategic decisions. Part of it is its own historical legacy, since this is the company that brought us Miata. Mazda remains as small and interesting as ever.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Latent car nut

Then there are the two reasons for not opting for an AWD Mazda3, 1) no manual transmission, and 2) a precipitous drop in fuel economy (much more so than other cars with 2WD and AWD variants).
Old 03-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I read the AWD GT sedan is a pretty good alternative to more expensive small cars like the CLA250 or A3. Looking forward to seeing what OP chooses.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Having had a CLA for a loaner, it's not a stretch, compared to the C117. I imagine the C118 is a huge improvement.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Having had a CLA for a loaner, it's not a stretch, compared to the C117. I imagine the C118 is a huge improvement.

While the CLA 250 is on the subject, my sister has one, I really haven't seen it much though. How does it drive?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Then there are the two reasons for not opting for an AWD Mazda3, 1) no manual transmission, and 2) a precipitous drop in fuel economy (much more so than other cars with 2WD and AWD variants).
Every car I've bought was manual aside from one - that one being an old SUV that I rarely drive, and it's really, really, really hard to find them in manual. Not everybody goes by the same standards. I think certain features like active cruise control are only available on the auto.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
I read the AWD GT sedan is a pretty good alternative to more expensive small cars like the CLA250 or A3. Looking forward to seeing what OP chooses.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
While the CLA 250 is on the subject, my sister has one, I really haven't seen it much though. How does it drive?

Overall, the C117 isn't bad, just feels cheap on the inside & has a tight back seat with the sloped roof.
The DCT is a bit jerky at parking lot speeds, but fine once on the move.

Coming from a W205, the C117 feels like a big step down, in loaner/rental guise. I'm sure the loaded up & AMG models are better, but I don't see spending my own $$$ on one.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Someone made a post a long time ago that every mainstream manufacturer makes cars that slowly increase in both size and price, and eventually the mfgs have to introduce a new, smaller model to fill in the void. Not just the C-Class and CLA, but even the Civic and Fit, etc.

A couple of decades ago the C-Class was seen as the almost-poor man's Benz. Don't think anyone feels that way now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
00TL-P3.2 (03-25-2019), RPhilMan1 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Costco
Every car I've bought was manual aside from one - that one being an old SUV that I rarely drive, and it's really, really, really hard to find them in manual. Not everybody goes by the same standards. I think certain features like active cruise control are only available on the auto.
I could care less about active CC, so I'm good there. When we bought our 2016 we simply did a special factory order and got exactly what we wanted.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Someone made a post a long time ago that every mainstream manufacturer makes cars that slowly increase in both size and price, and eventually the mfgs have to introduce a new, smaller model to fill in the void. Not just the C-Class and CLA, but even the Civic and Fit, etc.

A couple of decades ago the C-Class was seen as the almost-poor man's Benz. Don't think anyone feels that way now.
True, like when the W201 came out as the 'Baby Benz'
The C has definitely elevated in status compared to its 190E roots. Always been a bit of a baby S-class in looks.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 PM

I could care less about active CC, so I'm good there. When we bought our 2016 we simply did a special factory order and got exactly what we wanted.
That's exactly what I'm saying. A couple of MPGs or an automatic (which most people actually prefer) won't change everyone's mind. Modern AWD systems, especially FWD-based ones can decouple the rear, reducing the drag and fuel economy penalty. AWD doesn't help a car turn or brake better, but in inclement weather it can be a boon.

Car buying is a very personal experience. Even someone who isn't an enthusiast will care about certain things.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Latent car nut

That's exactly what I'm saying. A couple of MPGs or an automatic (which most people actually prefer) won't change everyone's mind. Modern AWD systems, especially FWD-based ones can decouple the rear, reducing the drag and fuel economy penalty. AWD doesn't help a car turn or brake better, but in inclement weather it can be a boon.

Car buying is a very personal experience. Even someone who isn't an enthusiast will care about certain things.
Yup, saying the same things. That said, I am shocked at how poor the published fuel economy numbers are on the 2019 AWD Mazda3 compared to the FWD Mazda3. The FWD gets a respectable (but not class leading) 36 mpg on the highway, the AWD gets 32, I mean yikes, the FWD gets something like 16% more.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Null and proud of it

Just find someone with an AWD and ask them what they get.

Published MPG numbers are BS, for the most part.

My car is rated at 35 HWY, yet I've never gotten over 28. But my TL was rated at 26 HWY and I got 33.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Latent car nut

Just find someone with an AWD and ask them what they get.

Published MPG numbers are BS, for the most part.

My car is rated at 35 HWY, yet I've never gotten over 28. But my TL was rated at 26 HWY and I got 33.
Meh, I've owned cars from Europe, the Americas, and Asia, and I've never had a car which couldn't handily exceed it's EPA rating. That said, there is a pretty good chance Mazda tested the both versions of the Mazda3 in the same way, so the mileage numbers should be representative (from the perspective of the net difference).
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Null and proud of it

Probably so. I guess we'll find out once a good deal of them have been sold and owners report back MPG numbers.

On a side note, I find 4 cylinder cars are usually overstated on fuel economy, and V6 cars are usually understated on fuel economy, go figure.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Latent car nut

Probably so. I guess we'll find out once a good deal of them have been sold and owners report back MPG numbers.

On a side note, I find 4 cylinder cars are usually overstated on fuel economy, and V6 cars are usually understated on fuel economy, go figure.
Not sure where that came from, I've owned four-cylinder, turbo-four-cylinder, straight-six, V6, and V8 engines, and never experienced what you're suggesting.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Null and proud of it

Not sure where that came from, I've owned four-cylinder, turbo-four-cylinder, straight-six, V6, and V8 engines, and never experienced what you're suggesting.

I find if a car has two engine options, and the I4 and V6 are rated like 5-8 MPG different overall, in reality, it's like 1-3 MPG different.

My 2001 Camry I4 would average 18-19 around town, whereas my gramdmothers 2003 Lexus, the engine my Camry would've had had it been a V6, averaged 16-18 around town. Or like how I'd get 33 on the highway in my TL, when an I4 Accord is rated at 34. I find MPG is really irrelevant unless it's a super economy car or gas guzzler 6.2 Silverado or Charger Hellcat, or something.

But I get where OP is coming from. I tried to save on gas by switching to an I4, but that failed miserably. I got nearly the same F/E I get in my 2.4 3,300 lb Kia as I did in a loaner J35 Odyssey 4,500 lb. van a couple of months ago, and the van actually was fast.

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-25-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fliupk... :sad: bidr fgr.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

I've more or less made up my mind on the AWD vs FWD question (was a challenge looking at many factors and took lots of discussion),....but I'll hold you in suspense slightly longer.

What's holding me up now is the damn color choice. I initially decided on the Polymetal grey with Red inside, but then immediately backtracked on that, and now am thinking Black outside and Red inside. I've always loved that combo on BMWs. Black on Black is also nice though, and I am used to that on my previous 3 cars. And part of me thinks I need to get something other than black paint because the hatch has black trim, and something that contrasts with that would be nice. Cannot really go wrong with black though. Unless I had more $$$ and could get a nice green/red/blue from Merc/BMW/Audi, cause they have some damn amazing colour choices.

One factor,... is the wait time. It could be close to a month wait on the black on red last time I talked to the dealer,....vs much quicker on the black on black. AWD wait times can be a couple months depending on the combo, but are likely to come faster apparently.

Last edited by West6MT; 03-25-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Null and proud of it

Unless you're in a bind, how long is a months wait to get exactly what you want...

Sure, it would be nice to have the car in next to no time, but in four weeks, you'll say to yourself, I could have the red interior now. How long do you plan to keep the car, too? If it's your plan to keep it for many years, just wait and get what you really want.

Also, if you order one, will the dealer give you a loaner until your car arrives? I've heard of people foi g that before.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

One vote for red interior -- regardless of the exterior color.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by yumcha
one vote for red interior -- regardless of the exterior color.

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-25-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: :D is coming out as :d I AM PISSED.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Ex-OEM King

I find if a car has two engine options, and the I4 and V6 are rated like 5-8 MPG different overall, in reality, it's like 1-3 MPG different.

My 2001 Camry I4 would average 18-19 around town, whereas my gramdmothers 2003 Lexus, the engine my Camry would've had had it been a V6, averaged 16-18 around town. Or like how I'd get 33 on the highway in my TL, when an I4 Accord is rated at 34. I find MPG is really irrelevant unless it's a super economy car or gas guzzler 6.2 Silverado or Charger Hellcat, or something.

But I get where OP is coming from. I tried to save on gas by switching to an I4, but that failed miserably. I got nearly the same F/E I get in my 2.4 3,300 lb Kia as I did in a loaner J35 Odyssey 4,500 lb. van a couple of months ago, and the van actually was fast.
The best way to save gas is to lay off the skinny pedal. That's pretty much it. My 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder gets absolutely dogshit fuel economy if you're liberal with the skinny pedal, I'm talking like low teens. Cruising on the highway will easily get you 34.

One vote for red interior -- regardless of the exterior color.
Two votes.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Red interior.

Black is boring now.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Ex-OEM King

Plus the red interior in the Mazda is a really nice brick red and not the in your face firetruck red of Lexus/Toyota.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Get the red interior! Don’t settle and then regret it. I settled on Blue/Black on my Mustang and always wished I had done Magnetic/Red.
West6MT (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM

SWP(white) / Red
West6MT (03-27-2019)

Quick Reply: 2019 Mazda 3 - FWD or AWD?