2019 Hyundai Tucson cross shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
2019 Hyundai Tucson cross shop

anyone have experience with these cars? i'm cross shopping a Rav4 and these seem to provide more bang for the buck... but i have found some posts that the 2.4L in the Hyundai have experienced engine failure...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the 2.4l "Theta" engines did experience a manufacturing defect/flaw. I believe specs of metal can lodge between the cooling jackets or oil passageways and starve the engine of oil.
this was found in 2010-2012 when they first started to make the "theta" engines.
Hyundai and KIA both issued recalls for this engine.
My family has a 2012 KIA sportage with this 2.4l theta...with 105k miles on the clock. I watch/change the oil pretty religiously. no issues at all...at first, our vin# was on the recall list...but over time, they filtered us out of the recall.
We can still take advantage of the recall if the engine ever bonkers out, as all kia needs is metal shavings found in oil

Last edited by justnspace; 06-03-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Corrected your spelling of "Tucson"...you're welcome.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i seriously looked at one when they started coming out in late 2016. personally, i think they look worse with the refresh.

some negatives:
the mileage is pretty poor. the hyundai engines are not super efficient.
visibility is not great
poor residuals
the center console design is a bit odd, and you cant sit splayed legged
the quality of materials change with the trim level. we were looking at the Ultimate, and sat in some lower tier version that definitely had more hard plastic. regardless, there were some areas in the higher end trims that still carried over the cheapness of the lower tier trims. this is very apparent in the cargo area - really cheap carpeting, thin plastic cubbies, etc.

overall, at least at the time, the loaded Ultimate 2.0 was a pretty good package. pano sunroof, xenons, etc. compared to the last gen RDX, it had everything i wanted for less.

....we eventually got a loaded Outback which leased out better than the loaded Tucson, and was an overall superior vehicle.

conversely, i sat in a rav4 at the auto show and was really impressed. i think Doug DeMuro ranked it as his favorite compact suv. the rear cargo is in mid-level suv territory. everything was well laid out and thoughtful. you could tell the engineers put a lot of time in designing a very spacious interior in a small exterior shell. they also have a hybrid, which is nice.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 06-03-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Corrected your spelling of "Tucson"...you're welcome.
Thanks, now @thoiboi can stop bugging me
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Thanks, now @thoiboi can stop bugging me
I did no such thing, ever
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i seriously looked at one when they started coming out in late 2016. personally, i think they look worse with the refresh.

some negatives:
the mileage is pretty poor. the hyundai engines are not super efficient.
visibility is not great
poor residuals
the center console design is a bit odd, and you cant sit splayed legged
the quality of materials change with the trim level. we were looking at the Ultimate, and sat in some lower tier version that definitely had more hard plastic. regardless, there were some areas in the higher end trims that still carried over the cheapness of the lower tier trims. this is very apparent in the cargo area - really cheap carpeting, thin plastic cubbies, etc.

overall, at least at the time, the loaded Ultimate 2.0 was a pretty good package. pano sunroof, xenons, etc. compared to the last gen RDX, it had everything i wanted for less.

....we eventually got a loaded Outback which leased out better than the loaded Tucson, and was an overall superior vehicle.

conversely, i sat in a rav4 at the auto show and was really impressed. i think Doug DeMuro ranked it as his favorite compact suv. the rear cargo is in mid-level suv territory. everything was well laid out and thoughtful. you could tell the engineers put a lot of time in designing a very spacious interior in a small exterior shell. they also have a hybrid, which is nice.
i'm looking to buy/finance it and was considering the Hyundai because they have 0% offer. I was also considering the Subaru but the Forester as an equivalent for size since it was in the price range but am still hesitant on CVTs... how does yours ride? which Subie dealer did you go with?

i had a brand new Rav4 as a loaner earlier this year and it really impressed me with the tech, but i'm trying to keep a $25k budget... if i were to add the equivalent tech into the Rav, it bumps the price up to almost $30k...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Wayne Subaru - great deals - despite the physical dealership being not so nice. They barely have a showroom. My parents and I have collectively leased 3 subarus from them over the past 18 months. Really, untouchable lease deals. Outback drives really well. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Like the Forester too. I think it drives a bit differently and isnt as refined. Also the cabin feels narrow and upright, but the boxy greenhouse and huge sunroof make up for it. As for Subaru CVTs - they arent too bad. It is actually "geared" in a way that make the engine feel quite peppy in stop and go / around town. However, highway merging isnt great. Otherwise, it gets amazing MPGs for a car with an excellent AWD system. It is not like a nissan CVT. It isnt clunky.

As for the Tucson, make sure you sit in the trim level that you are considering purchasing, and knock on some areas to test out the quality. They have a very VW-esque approach to up-tiering their materials.

If you like the open air feel, id take the Forester over the Rav and Tucson all day. The sunroof is not a panoramic, it is a massive single pane of glass that opens up....It was actually what I wanted, but wife preferred the size and refinement of the outback. Maybe try to get the sunroof within the budget.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 06-04-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i'm looking to buy/finance it and was considering the Hyundai because they have 0% offer. I was also considering the Subaru but the Forester as an equivalent for size since it was in the price range but am still hesitant on CVTs... how does yours ride? which Subie dealer did you go with?

i had a brand new Rav4 as a loaner earlier this year and it really impressed me with the tech, but i'm trying to keep a $25k budget... if i were to add the equivalent tech into the Rav, it bumps the price up to almost $30k...
i think the 0% offer will just offset the bad resale value at the end...

i am surprised the 2.4L CR-V is not on your list...
Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
Wayne Subaru - great deals - despite the physical dealership being not so nice. They barely have a showroom. My parents and I have collectively leased 3 subarus from them over the past 18 months. Really, untouchable lease deals. Outback drives really well. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Like the Forester too. I think it drives a bit differently and isnt as refined. Also the cabin feels narrow and upright, but the boxy greenhouse and huge sunroof make up for it. As for Subaru CVTs - they arent too bad. It is actually "geared" in a way that make the engine feel quite peppy in stop and go / around town. However, highway merging isnt great. Otherwise, it gets amazing MPGs for a car with an excellent AWD system. It is not like a nissan CVT. It isnt clunky.

As for the Tucson, make sure you sit in the trim level that you are considering purchasing, and knock on some areas to test out the quality. They have a very VW-esque approach to up-tiering their materials.

If you like the open air feel, id take the Forester over the Rav and Tucson all day. The sunroof is not a panoramic, it is a massive single pane of glass that opens up....It was actually what I wanted, but wife preferred the size and refinement of the outback. Maybe try to get the sunroof within the budget.
+1 on all of this. We had the same experience with shopping for a mid size wagon/SUV. The outback is a lot bigger than you think it is and is a great bang for your buck. I'm pretty sure the 2019+ models all come stock with the eyesight system as well.

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

Do they still make the 2.4L? I thought all of them switched to the 1.5T which is a wheezing underpowered motor for something of CRV size.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:20 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
1.5T works perfectly fine for the CR-V.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
+1 on all of this. We had the same experience with shopping for a mid size wagon/SUV. The outback is a lot bigger than you think it is and is a great bang for your buck. I'm pretty sure the 2019+ models all come stock with the eyesight system as well.

Do they still make the 2.4L? I thought all of them switched to the 1.5T which is a wheezing underpowered motor for something of CRV size.
Yes weird as it sounds. Yes. CR-V LX is still 2.4L and rest of the trims have the 1.5T.
It is the Accord that ditched the 2.4L even in the LX trim.

I dont know if the 1.5T is underpowered, but the 2.4L never had any real muscle anyway.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Ex-OEM King

Yes weird as it sounds. Yes. CR-V LX is still 2.4L and rest of the trims have the 1.5T.
It is the Accord that ditched the 2.4L even in the LX trim.

I dont know if the 1.5T is underpowered, but the 2.4L never had any real muscle anyway.
Interesting...I learned something today.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Don't get the CRV. The oil gas mixing scared me from getting it. Not to mention CRV drivers are notoriously bad. Ask Tracy Morgan.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Don't get the CRV. The oil gas mixing scared me from getting it. Not to mention CRV drivers are notoriously bad. Ask Tracy Morgan.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

i plan on driving it into the ground, so residual and resale doesn't bother me... i figure between the Rav and Tucson, the depreciation curve on the Tucson is much steeper in the beginning but will end up at the same spot over 10 yrs...

i never considered the Honda because 1) i figure it was out of my budget (want to stay close to mid 20's) and 2) wasn't sure yet on their CVT...
Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
i think the outback is out of my budget as well... i guess i could throw the Forester into the mix... but i hate how boxy it is.... isn't it supposed to get a facelift for 2020?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Forester just got a facelift for 2019.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

i plan on driving it into the ground, so residual and resale doesn't bother me... i figure between the Rav and Tucson, the depreciation curve on the Tucson is much steeper in the beginning but will end up at the same spot over 10 yrs...

i never considered the Honda because 1) i figure it was out of my budget (want to stay close to mid 20's) and 2) wasn't sure yet on their CVT...
I dont know exactly what is your must haves, but for a commuter reliable SUV, CR-V LX 2.4L is hard to beat. Rav 4 with that square fender wells looks pretty odd to me. But that is subjective.

LX starts at 24xxx with discount and everything you should be able to get it for $25k OTD within your budget. With 2,4L it is a proven engine with no gas/oil mixture issue.

When it comes to CVT, Honda's is the best one i have tried. For somoene who hates CVT with a passion after driving Nissan's, i could live with it.... I bought a used CR-V (2015) recently and CVT is the what i focused on when i did the test drive.
You would not know it is a CVT in the Honda unless you actually Want to know it is a CVT, if you know what i mean. Other CVT that i tried is like they are purposely trying to remind me that i am driving a CVT every sec while i am in the car.

It does not hurt to take a look.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think the new RAV4 looks great. Big department from the generation that preceded it, but the latest one reminds me of a baby 4Runner.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Honda extended the powertrain warranty an additional year for 2017-2018 CR-Vs with the 1.5T. There's already been a relatively easy free fix out (engine & trans software, oil change, AC control unit replacement). Our 2018 has not experienced an issue yet even with the terribly cold winter we had here.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/24/...anty-extended/

I saw a new bright blue RAV4 on the road yesterday and to me it seemed very boxy and cheap looking. I find the CR-V to be much more sophisticated and luxurious looking.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...9-toyota-rav4/

Last edited by RPhilMan1; 06-07-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont know exactly what is your must haves, but for a commuter reliable SUV, CR-V LX 2.4L is hard to beat. Rav 4 with that square fender wells looks pretty odd to me. But that is subjective.

LX starts at 24xxx with discount and everything you should be able to get it for $25k OTD within your budget. With 2,4L it is a proven engine with no gas/oil mixture issue.

When it comes to CVT, Honda's is the best one i have tried. For somoene who hates CVT with a passion after driving Nissan's, i could live with it.... I bought a used CR-V (2015) recently and CVT is the what i focused on when i did the test drive.
You would not know it is a CVT in the Honda unless you actually Want to know it is a CVT, if you know what i mean. Other CVT that i tried is like they are purposely trying to remind me that i am driving a CVT every sec while i am in the car.

It does not hurt to take a look.
is the difference between the LX and EX just tech? main requirement is AWD... some of the driver assist would be nice like lane departure and blind spot monitoring...
Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Team Owner

You can add AWD to LX... MSRP $25750. i am not sure if your budget is $25k OTD or $25k + TTL but even with AWD, LX can still be had with $25k OTD

The main difference between LX and EX is the engine. LX uses the old but proven 2.4L and all other trims have the 1.5T.

minor difference EX has some those safety features, android/apple car play, a bigger screen inside and some painted silver/chrome on the outside.

EX is the sweet spot in terms of features and price. But depends on what you looking for LX is a very good commuter car.
You should definitely check it out even if you dont end up with it...

I briefly looked a Tuscon last year...i like the look of it..
Which trim are you looking at?
It seems SEL + AWD is $27k... not sure if you can get enough discount to get $25k out the door. Yes it is better equipped than CR-V LX with similar engine spec. But it also cost more.
Value and base trim ($25K) is worse equipped (Engine and features) when compare to CRV LX...
Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

You can add AWD to LX... MSRP $25750. i am not sure if your budget is $25k OTD or $25k + TTL but even with AWD, LX can still be had with $25k OTD

The main difference between LX and EX is the engine. LX uses the old but proven 2.4L and all other trims have the 1.5T.

minor difference EX has some those safety features, android/apple car play, a bigger screen inside and some painted silver/chrome on the outside.

EX is the sweet spot in terms of features and price. But depends on what you looking for LX is a very good commuter car.
You should definitely check it out even if you dont end up with it...

I briefly looked a Tuscon last year...i like the look of it..
Which trim are you looking at?
It seems SEL + AWD is $27k... not sure if you can get enough discount to get $25k out the door. Yes it is better equipped than CR-V LX with similar engine spec. But it also cost more.
Value and base trim ($25K) is worse equipped (Engine and features) when compare to CRV LX...
my local dealer has a SEL AWD asking $24.7k... that is what my starting point was...

https://www.fredbeanshyundaiflemingt...-anchor-trim-3
Old 06-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Have you driven it?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Ex-OEM King

i think the outback is out of my budget as well... i guess i could throw the Forester into the mix... but i hate how boxy it is.... isn't it supposed to get a facelift for 2020?
The Outback is the one that's supposed to get a facelift for 2020 but the biggest change is on the interior and the swapping of the flat six to a turbo flat four. Other than that, it's pretty similar. Right now you can probably easily get an Outback 4cyl Premium for around $25k because of the upcoming facelift.

We got our Outback 3.6R Limited with an MSRP of ~$40k for $32k just to give you an idea on the discounts being offered.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
I saw a new bright blue RAV4 on the road yesterday and to me it seemed very boxy and cheap looking. I find the CR-V to be much more sophisticated and luxurious looking.
Agreed. The new RAV4 looks like a mini 4Runner which in itself looks boxy and cheap in the lower level trims and in stock form. There are some awesome modded ones out there and the TRD Pro looks boss but those are rather expensive...
Old 06-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

i just dont like the square fender well... Never liked them on the Jeep either...RAV4's is worse because they actually highlight them with glassy black fender flares...