2018 Accord 2.0T dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
To each their own, I suppose.
And that's the point Honda is missing; by limiting the features available on the 6MT cars they are turning away customers.

The above said, if/when the TLX refresh comes along based upon the 10G Accord, and IF the new TLX is available with the 6MT along with most of the trimmings (obviously they won't include Remote Start; too many liability issues), then I'd be interested.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Note I said useful...

Sport does come with LED headlights other than high beam, which I rarely use. It also has BLIS, keyless entry and keyless start. The USB ports in EX and higher are the same, the 2.0T Sport is the same feature set as the EX while the 1.5T Sport is the LX. I personally don't find any of the others all that useful TO ME. The adaptive dampers in the Touring haven't gotten any really good reviews, the heated rear seats don't make any difference for me, I've never had a HUD and haven't had a desire to have it, vented front seats are fun (Jeep has them) but they don't make a big difference, mirror turn signals meh, leather is missing and I would like it but seats are heated so that's ok in my book (I can see this being added in the very near future), memory seat won't matter much since the wife won't drive the manual, power passenger seat isn't a huge deal, OEM nav sucks compared to the phone based systems so I'd actively avoid paying for it, the sound system and rain sensing wipers would (however) be nice to have in the Sport.

If they made the EX-L No Nav 2.0T 6MT, that would be the one I'd buy.
Right, I pretty much grabbed the differences off of the Honda site, which doesn't really distinguish between 1.5 & 2.0 features.

Living in the city, I too rarely use the high beams.
Didn't see BLIS nor keyless entry on the Sport.
Heated rear seats are a wash for me, since the majority of the time it's just me.
Ventilated would be nice, because I'm in Houston. Leather is a wash for me as well.
Memory seats, really wish I had these in the F150, takes forever to get the seat just right after my wife drives it.
No comment on the HUD, depends on how well it works & displays.
Agreed on OE NAV, I very much prefer Waze via AndroidAuto in the truck
Stereo is probably a big (noticeable) difference.

All comes down to preference. Luckily, if you're ok with the 10spd, it's only about $5k to jump from a Sport to a Touring. Not a bad price spread, when compared to something like an F150 which has a very broad price range (but a lot more options.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Not a bad price spread, when compared to something like an F150 which has a very broad price range (but a lot more options.
We also have an F-150, but it's an old 1990 F-150 XLT Lariat with the 4.9 I6 and a 5-Speed manual. Pretty basic truck.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,829 Likes on 3,850 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
And that's the point Honda is missing; by limiting the features available on the 6MT cars they are turning away customers.

The above said, if/when the TLX refresh comes along based upon the 10G Accord, and IF the new TLX is available with the 6MT along with most of the trimmings (obviously they won't include Remote Start; too many liability issues), then I'd be interested.
IMO, they should do what (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) Acura did with the 4G TL 6MT and have it be the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles and a manual. Do a 6MT touring with sport package and no other way to get it (other than base).

Generally speaking, the manual fanboys who want it for the fun don't want the stripper, they want the full on everything and will pay for it. The people who want the manual because they for some reason still think it's cheaper will buy the base anyway. Making some silly mid range model seems to be a half assed attempt at nothing.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Right, I pretty much grabbed the differences off of the Honda site, which doesn't really distinguish between 1.5 & 2.0 features.

Living in the city, I too rarely use the high beams.
Didn't see BLIS nor keyless entry on the Sport.
Heated rear seats are a wash for me, since the majority of the time it's just me.
Ventilated would be nice, because I'm in Houston. Leather is a wash for me as well.
Memory seats, really wish I had these in the F150, takes forever to get the seat just right after my wife drives it.
No comment on the HUD, depends on how well it works & displays.
Agreed on OE NAV, I very much prefer Waze via AndroidAuto in the truck
Stereo is probably a big (noticeable) difference.

All comes down to preference. Luckily, if you're ok with the 10spd, it's only about $5k to jump from a Sport to a Touring. Not a bad price spread, when compared to something like an F150 which has a very broad price range (but a lot more options.
2018 Honda Accord Trims and Features Revealed
Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
IMO, they should do what (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) Acura did with the 4G TL 6MT and have it be the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles and a manual. Do a 6MT touring with sport package and no other way to get it (other than base).

Generally speaking, the manual fanboys who want it for the fun don't want the stripper, they want the full on everything and will pay for it. The people who want the manual because they for some reason still think it's cheaper will buy the base anyway. Making some silly mid range model seems to be a half assed attempt at nothing.
I can assure you the 4G TL 6MT did NOT come fully loaded, either. Trust me. It was middle of the line, also.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Latent car nut

Years ago when the decline of manual transmission cars was already in full-swing I stated on an internet forum somewhere, "Manufacturers should make the manual transmission an extra cost option." Why? Because the "keep up with the Joneses" folks will only be able to say, "Yup, she's got all of the options" or, "Yup, she's fully loaded" if they opt for the manual transmission.

True story; many years ago now a friend of mine bought a brand spankin' new E28 535i with the 5-Speed gearbox. He let me drive it when we were heading out to lunch; I drove over to a cool restaurant in Marina del Ray and happened to pull up next to an almost identical black 528e. The very well dressed and rather aristocratic looking woman got out of her car and came over to look at the 535i and after a good look she sniffed and said, "Couldn't you afford the automatic transmission?" My friend and I damn near fell on the ground we laughed so hard.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
horseshoez, go to Europe or Asia and tell us seriously that manual transmissions are on the decline. All the three recent car rentals I got in Europe were manual.

*Doesn't compute*.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Ex-OEM King

I can assure you the 4G TL 6MT did NOT come fully loaded, either. Trust me. It was middle of the line, also.
I thought the 4G TL 6MT was only sold in SH-AWD Tech Package only guise.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Saintor
horseshoez, go to Europe or Asia and tell us seriously that manual transmissions are on the decline. All the three recent car rentals I got in Europe were manual.

*Doesn't compute*.
I've spent a lot of time in Europe over the last 40 years, and yes, the manual transmission is dying over there as well. A good example was when I was working for Daimler-Benz in the mid to late 1990s through the early 2000s it was a challenge to rent a 525i with a manual transmission. In 1996 I did manage to snag one of the company E420s with a 5-Speed, but the manual gearbox offered by Mercedes back then totally sucked compared to the BMW box, and the year after I had that car for a few weeks, all but the strippo E-Class cars were available with automatics only.

When I was working in China (Hong Kong and Kowloon) and Taiwan I was literally unable to rent a car with a manual transmission.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Not sure which BMWs you're talking about but I've had two and neither had the ability to display the oil temperature.

Regardless, once the oil temperature is up into the low 100°F range you're pretty much good to go for anything but full WOT at redline.
Pretty much all 3 and 4 series i have owned since 2013... Not sure about 5 or 7 since oil temp is not my focus when i get to drive 1.
For BMW, the normal operating oil temp is around 200, not 100.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Note I said useful...

Sport does come with LED headlights other than high beam, which I rarely use. It also has BLIS, keyless entry and keyless start. The USB ports in EX and higher are the same, the 2.0T Sport is the same feature set as the EX while the 1.5T Sport is the LX. I personally don't find any of the others all that useful TO ME. The adaptive dampers in the Touring haven't gotten any really good reviews, the heated rear seats don't make any difference for me, I've never had a HUD and haven't had a desire to have it, vented front seats are fun (Jeep has them) but they don't make a big difference, mirror turn signals meh, leather is missing and I would like it but seats are heated so that's ok in my book (I can see this being added in the very near future), memory seat won't matter much since the wife won't drive the manual, power passenger seat isn't a huge deal, OEM nav sucks compared to the phone based systems so I'd actively avoid paying for it, the sound system and rain sensing wipers would (however) be nice to have in the Sport.

If they made the EX-L No Nav 2.0T 6MT, that would be the one I'd buy.
If i had the option, i would not to get the rain sensing wipers... my most recent 2 cars all have them and they never give you the speed that you wanted. I think the traditional intermittent wiper is much more practical.....
Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Not sure which BMWs you're talking about but I've had two and neither had the ability to display the oil temperature.

Regardless, once the oil temperature is up into the low 100°F range you're pretty much good to go for anything but full WOT at redline.
My '07 E60 M5 had oil temp, and my '09 335i has oil temp.

Now, ask me about water temp....
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

I never understood which one is the correct indication of overheating....

We are so off topic... went from Accord to TLX to Car warming up to Manual in Europe and Asia and now Water vs Oil temp
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
F23A4 (01-06-2018), Shadow2056 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
If i had the option, i would not to get the rain sensing wipers... my most recent 2 cars all have them and they never give you the speed that you wanted. I think the traditional intermittent wiper is much more practical.....
Can't speak for the cars you've had; both of my BMWs were spot on, my wife's Mazda3, not so much.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Latent car nut

We are so off topic... went from Accord to TLX to Car warming up to Manual in Europe and Asia and now Water vs Oil temp
Water temperature.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 AM
Team Owner

Soooo Honda just applied for a patent for a VTEC equipped, DOHC V6T. In my quick browse through, I didnt see anything regarding displacement, however, it's still exciting as fuck.

I'm betting it will be a 3.0L V6T, to start. Over time, displacement will increase to 3.2L, 3.5L.. (in 50 years )
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
EL19 (01-08-2018), teh CL (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 AM
Team Owner

I thought the 4G TL 6MT was only sold in SH-AWD Tech Package only guise.
correct. But there was a higher package than that. The Advance I think it was called. Maybe Elite in Canada. I dunno.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Soooo Honda just applied for a patent for a VTEC equipped, DOHC V6T. In my quick browse through, I didnt see anything regarding displacement, however, it's still exciting as fuck.

I'm betting it will be a 3.0L V6T, to start. Over time, displacement will increase to 3.2L, 3.5L.. (in 50 years )
I read the info on that link and it says the engine now being DOHC does not support VVL and therefore the VTEC is not the same VTEC we’re used to. Not sure what they meant by that though. Sidenote, I am overjoyed with Honda ditching SOHC for DOHC FINALLY in their V6 engines. To be honest I’m impressed at what they have been able to do with SOHC tech, so with DOHC tech this should be a game changer!
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

Maybe next up should be air freshener preferences.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Back on topic I'm looking forward to a test drive of the new accord this spring - the RDX lease is up and we're looking to downsize for just an around town car and the accord looks like it'd fit the bill. Both my kids have new civics and we like them too - looks like about $7K difference between a civic and accord with the options we like. I'm not sure the motor alone would justify the cost difference - bear in mind my better half and I work at the same place less than 2 miles from our home. We should probably have an electric or hybrid but I don't care for the looks or the cost of anything currently available. I love what Honda did with the Civic and the Accord looks very upscale.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Back on topic I'm looking forward to a test drive of the new accord this spring - the RDX lease is up and we're looking to downsize for just an around town car and the accord looks like it'd fit the bill. Both my kids have new civics and we like them too - looks like about $7K difference between a civic and accord with the options we like. I'm not sure the motor alone would justify the cost difference - bear in mind my better half and I work at the same place less than 2 miles from our home. We should probably have an electric or hybrid but I don't care for the looks or the cost of anything currently available. I love what Honda did with the Civic and the Accord looks very upscale.

The Civic is nice as well. EX-T and above come with the 1.5t motor. The Touring model would be the only thing that could be on the same level as the Accord. All the new Accord come standard with Honda Sensing whereas on the Civic, you'd have to go to the Touring to get. If you're not too concerned about space, the Civic will suit best what you're looking for. Hybrids are nice but only for leasing. The batteries in those go out, repair bills get expensive. Quick. With the fuel mileage you're getting with the Civic with the 1.5t, Hybrid would be pointless really. in the 30s for in city and 40s for highway. I had a customer buy a Civic Touring and he's getting 44-46mpg.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
All theoretical. I am not convinced that this translates in real operational issues. There are zillions of cops/taxis engines that idle an insane period of time and I never heard that they were particularly short-lived,
those cars pretty much run all day and idling a warm engine is not that bad for it...
Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Team Owner

I finally drove an Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT today.

I only drove it for ten minutes, but was able to open it up on the highway. My impressions were as follows:

the exterior isn't as nice as the touring trim (obviously). I find the car isn't nearly as striking, though, and the touring wheels are nicer than the Sport wheels.

The interior is what killed it for Me. I don't like that the centre elbow rest cover doesnt slide back and forth like it does in the TL. You can't get that comfortable relaxed position when shffting. The interior is much more bland than the touring. It just felt cheaper. The seats are interesting. Half leather, half some sort of super weird ass material. The shifter had that desirable Honda clunky feel, but the throws are bigger and wider than in my 3G TL. The clutch is very soft. Like zero resistance. I don't like it, but I could see it being very easy to use in really shitty traffic, without getting tired. I prefer the heavier pedal feel of my 3G TL. The shift knob also looks really cheap. If anything, I'd swap one from an older Acura asap if I bought that car.

As for the driving- I felt the car was pretty damn quiet overall, in terms of NVH. Not as good as the TLX, but not far off either, even at 75MPH. The suspension felt pretty good. Very comfortable. With a wee bit of firmness. You could easily ride in that thing for ten hours straight without worry.

And the engine? At first I was kind of disappointed. It felt kind of meh. But then I had a chance to open it up and I was rather impressed how quickly it would accelerate. I would shift at only 5000rpm as it was a new car. Redline was 6750. Even so, this thing got to 75MPH with zero effort and pretty quickly. In 2nd gear, rolling at about 25mph, I pushed down the throttle and without effort I was spinning the front wheels for a few seconds until they caught grip and the car started pulling. It definitely put a smile on my face. No mad torque steering also. I was impressed.

the Accord definitely has a bit of turbo lag. I have no idea how Hyundai did it, but my old 2012 Sonata 2.0T never had turbo lag. Just step and go. It was flawless, NA-like acceleration with that old Sonata. You can definitely feel the lag on the Accord, though it is fairly short. It would take some getting used to, driving that car if you came from an NA one before. I think you'd be used to it quickly, though.

Another thing- downshift rev matching is harder on that car, vs an NA platform. You have to definitely blip the throttle harder to get any response with it. It's something i could get used to, but it is different. NA feels better in that regard.

overall, it's a nice car, but not for me. I want more. Like so many have said, they'd love that car with the 6MT, but in touring guise. Truth be told, this is also what I want. I will be waiting to see what Honda does with the newly leaked V6T, and what they will be dropping it into, over the next few years. I'm thinking it will be in the TLX-S, so long as that car has a 6MT option. If it doesn't... fuuuuuuu.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-06-2018 at 05:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TacoBello:
F23A4 (01-07-2018), kurtatx (01-07-2018), teh CL (01-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I finally drove an Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT today.

I only drove it for ten minutes, but was able to open it up on the highway. My impressions were as follows:

the exterior isn't as nice as the touring trim (obviously). I find the car isn't nearly as striking, though, and the touring wheels are nicer than the Sport wheels.

The interior is what killed it for Me. I don't like that the centre elbow rest cover doesnt slide back and forth like it does in the TL. You can't get that comfortable relaxed position when shffting. The interior is much more bland than the touring. It just felt cheaper. The seats are interesting. Half leather, half some sort of super weird ass material. The shifter had that desirable Honda clunky feel, but the throws are bigger and wider than in my 3G TL. The clutch is very soft. Like zero resistance. I don't like it, but I could see it being very easy to use in really shitty traffic, without getting tired. I prefer the heavier pedal feel of my 3G TL. The shift knob also looks really cheap. If anything, I'd swap one from an older Acura asap if I bought that car.

As for the driving- I felt the car was pretty damn quiet overall, in terms of NVH. Not as good as the TLX, but not far off either, even at 75MPH. The suspension felt pretty good. Very comfortable. With a wee bit of firmness. You could easily ride in that thing for ten hours straight without worry.

And the engine? At first I was kind of disappointed. It felt kind of meh. But then I had a chance to open it up and I was rather impressed how quickly it would accelerate. I would shift at only 5000rpm as it was a new car. Redline was 6750. Even so, this thing got to 75MPH with zero effort and pretty quickly. In 2nd gear, rolling at about 25mph, I pushed down the throttle and without effort I was spinning the front wheels for a few seconds until they caught grip and the car started pulling. It definitely put a smile on my face. No mad torque steering also. I was impressed.

the Accord definitely has a bit of turbo lag. I have no idea how Hyundai did it, but my old 2012 Sonata 2.0T never had turbo lag. Just step and go. It was flawless, NA-like acceleration with that old Sonata. You can definitely feel the lag on the Accord, though it is fairly short. It would take some getting used to, driving that car if you came from an NA one before. I think you'd be used to it quickly, though.
That throttle application characteristic sounds a lot like my TLX PAWS. Though I have zero intention of acquiring the 10G Accord, I do want to try out the core four powertrain configurations.
(BTW, I may circle back to you regarding your old Sonata 2.0T as I'm thinking of getting one as a "station car.")
Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Any rev-hang on the 2.0 6MT? Absolutely hated it in the 6MT HR-V I had as a 'loaner'.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

I didn't notice any, to be honest. I wasn't really paying attention for it, though. It was a short 10 minute test drive.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I just saw a new Accord 2.0 over the weekend in person. It's even better looking in person, great job Honda.

Last edited by JT4; 01-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that should be no issue with the new Accord. Since the 90's I think Pontiac started the sweeping gauge reminder to WOT when starting the car. I am found that Honda started to adopt the engine design and encourage the fast warm up of the engine as it takes a long time (5-6 minutes normal driving) for my TL to warm up in the morning. The Subaru and rentals which have this technology warms up in roughly a minute.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by flunder
I think that should be no issue with the new Accord. Since the 90's I think Pontiac started the sweeping gauge reminder to WOT when starting the car. I am found that Honda started to adopt the engine design and encourage the fast warm up of the engine as it takes a long time (5-6 minutes normal driving) for my TL to warm up in the morning. The Subaru and rentals which have this technology warms up in roughly a minute.
What does engine warm up time have to do with oil warm up time? Answer: very little.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by flunder
Reminder to WOT?????

That is the first time I have seen that explanation for needle sweep.