Old 01-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Audi S4: Autoweek Review

(08:30 Feb. 03, 2003)
2004 Audi S4
Happy Frustration: Performance stifles the Audi critics

By MATT DAVIS

WE JUST GOT DONE TEARING around Italy’s northern Adriatic coast and the Autodromo Santa Monica near Misano in Audi’s latest bits of happy frustration, the new S4 sedan and wagon. Besides a few aesthetic bits and one or two technical questions—i.e., not out-and-out slams—the S4 is close to our best BMW M3 experience, only different. We can’t put our drawers in a twist over anything Audi is doing. That can be so frustrating.

2004 AUDI S4
ON SALE: October
BASE PRICE: $45,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 4.2-liter, 344-hp, 303-lb-ft V8; awd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3660 pounds
0-60 MPH: 5.5 seconds (mfr.)

For instance, some say the new A8 design is just a bit off, vs. the chiseled handsomeness of the old one, but even there we don’t find ourselves tempted to prefer the old one as we might, say, the 7 Series hailing from down the road in Munich. At this latest S4’s first showoff in Paris in September, a few were overheard muttering Audi had missed an opportunity, that little had actually changed outside or in from the A4. And conversely, that losing the twin KKK turbos of the former version’s 2.7-liter V6 was just plain wrong.

Buncha whiners. Has the A4 line ever been in need of sweeping cosmetic changes? The old 2.7-liter with its two little breathing devices was sure nice, but have you gunned up this new 4.2-liter V8 self-breather and tossed it around? All right then. Do so and then opine.

Just two visual ticks on these European-spec cars made us cock our heads like a dog: the protruding black rub strips running the length of the lower sill and the silvery sideview mirror housings that look a touch like those metallic shoes that only professional shoppers wear. We fussed enough about these things that you may not see them in the States when the car gets here this fall. Go, subtlety!

After these picky nits, the permanent grin wrapped around our heads. Especially when we started the engine. The biturbo S4 still sounds nice indeed, but its 250 horsepower, 258 lb-ft of torque and exhaust tune somewhat cower in comparison with the new car’s 344 horses at 7000 rpm and 303 lb-ft of torque, all available between 3400 and 3800 revs. And whereas the M3 makes its loving noise through four exhaust tips, this S4 rumbles out its all-new lovelier noise through just two orifices. According to technicians, much time was spent on the all-important middle muffler element in the new exhaust path in order to hit this rollicking note. Even the sound it makes when we lift off the accelerator while barreling into a tight one at the end of a straight is great music.

Audi says 0 to 60 mph happens in just 5.5 seconds in the sedan, 5.7 in the Avant. The 2.7T S4 sedan did this in 5.9 seconds while today’s M3 still flat-out crushes all comers in this respect with times ranging between 4.9 and 5.1 seconds. With the old motor, the S4 rated 17/24 mpg or 17/23 mpg over at the EPA depending on your gears, whereas the V8 drinks heavily in the city at about 12.1 mpg, yet maintains the 24 mpg on the highway. So, yes, if frat-party torque punch is your Holy Grail, then finding an M3 (16/23 EPA, by the way) may still be your quest. But if fast, super-smooth clutch takeup with plenty of hairy torque and four-wheel traction sound more right, then go S4. Whereas “boy racer” comes up in every M3 conversation, this S4 solicits every description just shy of that old saw.

Ride, handling and braking have all improved. Our general feeling about the previous S4 is that it rides a little soft on its standard 17-inch galoshes and suspension settings. Now we get enlightened with 18-inch alloys each wearing a 235/40R Continental SportContact 2, one of Earth’s finest tires. Sportier spring and damper rates plus a chassis lowered by eight-tenths of an inch make for a sturdier ride without going all-out bang and clash. Weight distribution fore/aft is still about 60/40 (this 4.2-liter V8 engine weighs the same as the 2.7T V6), so the tendency of the old car to push through the occasional hot curve can still manifest itself in this version, but it takes a lot more heat to do so. We were driving in sopping-wet conditions here, so switching off the Electronic Stability Program as we would on a bone-dry track was less of a solution. One nice thing about this latest ESP is that it chimes in more quietly and usefully than the Dynamic Stability Control on the M3. A small wonder we had while dicing around was whether or not the Servotronic steering lightens up a bit too quickly than might be optimal. We’d have to say the new S4 is less of a bucking horse than the BMW, and that we’d prefer the Audi on many a drive if our loved ones’ butts were in the passenger seats. (And, besides, the S4 gets Recaros front and rear.)

Given the wetness of the day, we had ample opportunity to put the quattro all-wheel drive to the test, and it had us taking the S4 to limits that perhaps only a Subaru Impreza WRX (or WRX STi) might allow. It kept the proceedings fun as all get-out but without the nervousness of most other fire-breathing cars in the rain. Add to this Audi’s new Dual-Rate servo braking and the control gets even finer. At deceleration forces at or below 0.5 g, the ratio at the pedal is 1:5.5, just as on the A4. If you’re pushing hard and having a blast, you can use the same easy tap of the brake pedal, but the system bumps the ratio up to 1:12, which slows things smoothly and quickly as required. It’s a very nice touch in a segment where brake modulation can often become rocket science.

The four-door will pop up in U.S. showrooms around October as a 2004 model, costing something around $45K before options. After that comes the Avant at $47,500. Soon after introduction, the latest six-speed Tiptronic transmission with steering wheel-mounted controls and Dynamic Shift Program first seen on the TT last September will be available on the S4. However, never let it be said we didn’t suggest you take the new six-speed manual as used during our drive time here. Wow, what an improvement over the old rubbery ZF six-speed. This new tranny with super-crisp shifts and a perfect throw comes from the VW group bin, and we love and cherish it. Audi expects 50 percent of buyers to want this manual, and we do not think that’s too high a number.

A couple of more numbers: Sedan-to-Avant percentages worldwide are 40/60, whereas in the States alone they read 85/15. Why, oh why do we not like wagons more than we do? It’s so frustrating.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy next to the Volvo S60R and the mazdaspeed RX-8 are on tje shopping list to replace my lovely and reliable CLS!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those seats make me

only thing i cant complain about is those rubber moldings at the bottom of the doors
Old 01-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

100x better than door dings! If they are body-color painted..than I would love to have those...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:14 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
that thing is damn sexy.

fuck that car is so beautiful in person too... pics dont do it justice.

wheres the arm rest tho??

love the engine bay. so neat and clean
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is what happened with the G35 too. If you get the manual tranny, you get no freaking arm rest. What the heck?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:47 PM

Small car plus AWD plus V-8= TITS!!!!! Awesome, I don't give a fock how much faster the M3 is.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by liquid_x
only thing i cant complain about is those rubber moldings at the bottom of the doors
From Audiworld, the word going around is that the S4 will have body painted side moldings. Audi is getting a fair amount of pressure to make sure they are painted for the U.S. market.

Lot of people are making noise about the chrome side mirrors also, they either want a choice or just to make them body color.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

I was at the Houston Auto Show and sat in the A4. I don't like their "buttons". They click and crap. Guess the S4 is gonna do that, too?

-Rob M.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:34 AM
The Liquidator

With that much power 0-60 time of 5.5 secs is BAD...VERY BAD:thumbsdn:
Old 01-30-2003, 12:41 AM
The Liquidator

When is this comming to the US?? i know the RS6 COMES HERE june 2003. Is it comming this yr or next??

If only it performed like the HP numbers say
Old 01-30-2003, 01:38 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
we better have the chrome mirrors stock.

thats like... the S trademark... you cant take dat shit away.

but ya... blak plastic gotta go. wasnt soo bad in person tho... hardly noticed it.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Instructor

I really like the new S4 looks, but i wish they kept it a turbochargerd motor(2.7 or beefed up 3.0). However, I would get the new S60R over this car since its faster and cheaper and easy to mod since it has a turbocharged already. The S60R will get to 60 in 5.4sec and with few bolt ons u can get sub 5 sec to 60 times. Anyways we will just have to wait and see until they do put the M3, S4, and S60R in one comparison. It will be intresting.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

My friend's S4 got his chrome mirrors stolen twice! (Once in Forest Hills Queens, and another time in his town of Woodbury LI)He finally got regular A4 mirrors painted Negaro Blue after that.

The silver ones were costing him too much $$
Old 01-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the last generation S4 was a better looking car.

Why did Audi want to make the 4 look exactly like a 6?

And Jeez, can't they come up with a different wheel design? I've seen rims just like those on a bunch of different Audis.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Race Director

love the car, love the engine,

tom, the a6 will be looking totally different soon...and really, the A4 does not looks that much like the A6...

Also, in my opinion Audi makes the NICEST STOCK rims from ANY car company out there.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
makes me actually want to save up and trade in my cl-s to buy it at the end of the year. for the money it's worth it because it has the power comparable to the m3, and it's only .2 seconds off of the m3, and it's AWD!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Tom2
I think the last generation S4 was a better looking car.

Why did Audi want to make the 4 look exactly like a 6?

And Jeez, can't they come up with a different wheel design? I've seen rims just like those on a bunch of different Audis.
To extend on this point, I think it is unacceptable for these companies to not get the message: "make the special edition of your cars as different as possible than the base editions". Meaning, make the S4 a lot more agressive looking than the A4s. The M3 a lot more agressive looking than the 330/325, etc. The answer probably lies behind the cost factot, but I still think the message is just not getting through. I am convinced these comapnies can do better than this.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by amirsafdari
love the car, love the engine,

tom, the a6 will be looking totally different soon...and really, the A4 does not looks that much like the A6...

Also, in my opinion Audi makes the NICEST STOCK rims from ANY car company out there.
I disagree. I agree with Tom. The A4 looks a lot like the A6 now. Sometimes I have to look twice at an A4 to makes sure it is not an A6 on the road.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by slyraskal
makes me actually want to save up and trade in my cl-s to buy it at the end of the year. for the money it's worth it because it has the power comparable to the m3, and it's only .2 seconds off of the m3, and it's AWD!!!!!!
I would say it is more than 0.2 second away from the M3. More like 0.5 second.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:50 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Small car plus AWD plus V-8= TITS!!!!! Awesome, I don't give a fock how much faster the M3 is.
......its not....thats the thing
Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 PM

To extend on this point, I think it is unacceptable for these companies to not get the message: "make the special edition of your cars as different as possible than the base editions". Meaning, make the S4 a lot more agressive looking than the A4s. The M3 a lot more agressive looking than the 330/325, etc. The answer probably lies behind the cost factot, but I still think the message is just not getting through. I am convinced these comapnies can do better than this.
Good point. I think the boy racer wings of the 80s and wildbodykits are now a thing of the past from the factory now though. Even Lamborghini and Ferrari are pretty subdued. That is because of trying to make more money, more aerodynamic instead of a CRAZY visual impact. That is why the PAGANI ZONDA is LOVED by the motoring press, it is a crazy looking and awesome performance car.

And the A4 and A6 do look identical to me, though they look great in sport trim.

For all you .2 and .3 this and that, obviously if Audi posts those numbers, beating the M3 is not the point. It is to give Audi's interpretation of sporting driving. I applaud the effort. WHo else has stuffed a V-8 into such a small car. Closest thing is the IS 430 and that will not make production.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Subie Dubie

I'll bet when the car mags here test, it will be closer to 5.0, just my feeling. Oh, and it's HOT !!