View Poll Results: 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?
2003 BMW 540 Auto
40.91%
2003 Lexus GS430
59.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?

Im looking to get a another car and Im not sure which one to pick from the 2 choices I have left. Either the 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430? I believe the BMW handles/drives better but Im not sure if that is the case in automatic. The reliability and cost of maintenance, repairs, etc are most important factors. I would appreciate any input from anyone that had experience with these cars. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

2003 BMW 540 Auto

2003 Lexus GS 430

Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forum member-

I am actually rather shocked that you claim to value reliability and cost of ownership yet list the BMW E39 as one of your choices. With the V8 in particular, it may be an expensive proposition in the long run. I used to own a 1998 BMW 540iA E39 and having owned such a vehicle, I can safely say that I shall never own a BMW "Big Money Wasted/Broken Motor Work" vehicle again. If you value reliability and cost of maintenance, this is not the car for you.

Here is a short list of my problems:
Leaking coolant from the 2nd year of ownership-would continually fix by replacing/repairing radiator/lines/expansion tanks but to no avail

Continual and ongoing electrical faults-would report tail lights, brake linings, fog lights and other faults which were non-existent b/c those were working. Also, climate control system would frequently misbehave, blowing hot air when cold was wanted and vice versa.

Random and sporadic stalling for which BMW apparently did not detect and said was normal

Horrendous screeching power steering-fixed it but a new problem surfaced with the steering becoming increasing loose. Note that the 540i uses a recirculating ball system which in my opinion felt loose all the time.

Leaking valve cover gaskets (oil)

Infamous BMW front end shimmy (would do this at 40-50mph) The front end would literally wobble.

Typical pixel issue-would disappear off both dash and center stack trip computer. If I am not mistaken, BMW still uses pixel displays in their new cars that fail...

Trunk failed to open sporadically, horrible paint chipping, cup holders never worked, rust developing around trunk sills, wood peeling, wipers would freeze in place, parking brake failed, door handles would snap because they were literally metal painted plastics and a host of other annoying problems which would seem out of place in most other cars. I believe people put up with these problems by saying that its a BMW and that its performance compensates for these gremlins.

Winter Driving Considerations:
If you live in the snow belt, these are things to consider-

It likes to stall in the winter-more so than in the summer.

Buttons on center stack and on doors crack very easily in the cold. The temperature buttons would constantly crack b/c they had recessed arrows which made them susceptible to cracking and plus the general thinness and cheapness of the plastic made them extremely fragile.

Rims are very light weight and can bend easily. On icy roads, the rims can get damaged easily. I bent all 4 rims at the end of one season. Later on, I used steelies.

I eventually got rid of the car because the engine started knocking (ever so slightly) but more disturbingly, the transmission started showing signs of failing. It would start slipping into failsafe mode and lock itself into a higher gear. It would jerk beyond 2.5K rpm and send things flying in the car. Unfortunately, you cannot service these transmissions b/c of the lifetime fill so once it fails, a replacement is usually in order.

Mind you, if you have unlimited amounts of money, it can be a decent car to drive. It had excellent road manners-ride was excellent and handling was better than average. I was frankly not impressed with the interior because it was not intuitive and the quality aside from the upper dash, was not impressive-especially the cheap center stack. It was not a sight for sore eyes to see a stack full of cracked buttons. I think what I liked most about my car were the comfort seats where the backrest top and lower can adjust separately. Besides that, I would not buy this particular car again.

I have never owned the GS430 so I cannot chime in on that. However, I cannot imagine it being any worse than my BMW. I shall never buy any BMW ever again at any price. Period.

Have you considered a 2004 Acura TL? I assume the 2004 TL models have better transmissions. I have a 2001 Acura CL Type-S with nearly 300K and it has been one of my most reliable vehicles. It has not had transmission problems and has been relatively inexpensive to own. The 2004 models may prove even better.

Last edited by newbster; 08-07-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
If cost and reliability are paramount stick with the Lexus.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Cruisin'

well i like bmw more, but im biased because i have owned mostly bmws and 0 lexus. Of course the lexus will be more reliable, but i just love bmws.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, the Lexus looked a bit more updated, where as that BMW looks pretty outdated. Also, Lexus reliability is there. My cousin has a 98 GS400 (Same Model) with 150k and no major problems. I drove it once, and the V8 power was definitely there.

I would go for the Lexus.

Last edited by TLperfection; 08-07-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
to what others have said,...safer bet is to go with the Lexus.

I quite like the e39. I happen to have an e39 M5 (2003) parked in my driveway right now (stole it from my dad for the week). The maintenance costs are pretty ridiculous. I would image the 540, although not an M5, is still pretty expensive to maintain. Probably worth noting that a lot of stuff was done under warranty before my dad got the car. Right now, there is a paint issue on the leading edge underside of the hood (repainting wont really fix the problem because it will come back withing 4 - 6 months, so the hood has to be REPLACED!!!), and the damn pixels are all starting to go now. All the fades away when you get behind the wheel though hehe.

Last edited by West6MT; 08-07-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Love the 5 series!

Never liked the Lexus GS 430.

I say go with the 5 series, but then again, I'm slightly biased towards the Bimmer.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:53 AM
10th Gear

lexus then vip
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
gs
Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The reliability and cost of maintenance, repairs, etc are most important factors.
You just dismissed the Bimmer. Not sure that the Lexus will be so much cheaper, though. A 7yo car will need regular repairs, BMW or Lexus. Don't expect high reliability.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Pro

Lexus, but for the money of those two, I'd probably look for a newer, non-luxury car.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Pro

while that BMW happens to be one of my Fav cars looks wise, i think the lexus would be more what your looking for.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Disinformation Terminator

I have a 1998 GS400 that my Pops bought new. 83K miles on it now and it has been as reliable as a sundial for the entire 12 years we've had it. I've replaced a few tail light bulbs, performed scheduled maintenance, and enjoyed the ride. There are lots of folks who have put 200K miles and more on them, and they simply don't have any weak spots, save for front ball joints which can be replaced cheaply.

-Mirror
Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Saintor
You just dismissed the Bimmer. Not sure that the Lexus will be so much cheaper, though. A 7yo car will need regular repairs, BMW or Lexus. Don't expect high reliability.
Really?

I have two cars over 7 years old and neither one of them need regular repairs
Old 08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
The more expensive the repair bill, the more fun it is to drive.

Think of it as paying for entertainment.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
540i all the way. Yes, I am biased.

I used to be in the crowd of "omg BMW's are maintenance whores!" as well.

Ever since owning a BMW I have learned that they really aren't that bad. Its just like any other car, if you keep up with maintenance, you will be FINE. I would love to elaborate as far as costs, etc but do not have a lot of time at the moment. I'll be back later to defend the 540i.

I will say this before I leave, it doesn't hurt if you have a set of decent tools and learn from the several DIY's available on bimmerforums.com and other BMW sites.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
take the bmw.....you wont regret it!!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by newbster
Forum member-

I am actually rather shocked that you claim to value reliability and cost of ownership yet list the BMW E39 as one of your choices. With the V8 in particular, it may be an expensive proposition in the long run. I used to own a 1998 BMW 540iA E39 and having owned such a vehicle, I can safely say that I shall never own a BMW "Big Money Wasted/Broken Motor Work" vehicle again. If you value reliability and cost of maintenance, this is not the car for you.

Here is a short list of my problems:
Leaking coolant from the 2nd year of ownership-would continually fix by replacing/repairing radiator/lines/expansion tanks but to no avail

Continual and ongoing electrical faults-would report tail lights, brake linings, fog lights and other faults which were non-existent b/c those were working. Also, climate control system would frequently misbehave, blowing hot air when cold was wanted and vice versa.

Random and sporadic stalling for which BMW apparently did not detect and said was normal

Horrendous screeching power steering-fixed it but a new problem surfaced with the steering becoming increasing loose. Note that the 540i uses a recirculating ball system which in my opinion felt loose all the time.

Leaking valve cover gaskets (oil)

Infamous BMW front end shimmy (would do this at 40-50mph) The front end would literally wobble.

Typical pixel issue-would disappear off both dash and center stack trip computer. If I am not mistaken, BMW still uses pixel displays in their new cars that fail...

Trunk failed to open sporadically, horrible paint chipping, cup holders never worked, rust developing around trunk sills, wood peeling, wipers would freeze in place, parking brake failed, door handles would snap because they were literally metal painted plastics and a host of other annoying problems which would seem out of place in most other cars. I believe people put up with these problems by saying that its a BMW and that its performance compensates for these gremlins.

Winter Driving Considerations:
If you live in the snow belt, these are things to consider-

It likes to stall in the winter-more so than in the summer.

Buttons on center stack and on doors crack very easily in the cold. The temperature buttons would constantly crack b/c they had recessed arrows which made them susceptible to cracking and plus the general thinness and cheapness of the plastic made them extremely fragile.

Rims are very light weight and can bend easily. On icy roads, the rims can get damaged easily. I bent all 4 rims at the end of one season. Later on, I used steelies.

I eventually got rid of the car because the engine started knocking (ever so slightly) but more disturbingly, the transmission started showing signs of failing. It would start slipping into failsafe mode and lock itself into a higher gear. It would jerk beyond 2.5K rpm and send things flying in the car. Unfortunately, you cannot service these transmissions b/c of the lifetime fill so once it fails, a replacement is usually in order.

Mind you, if you have unlimited amounts of money, it can be a decent car to drive. It had excellent road manners-ride was excellent and handling was better than average. I was frankly not impressed with the interior because it was not intuitive and the quality aside from the upper dash, was not impressive-especially the cheap center stack. It was not a sight for sore eyes to see a stack full of cracked buttons. I think what I liked most about my car were the comfort seats where the backrest top and lower can adjust separately. Besides that, I would not buy this particular car again.

I have never owned the GS430 so I cannot chime in on that. However, I cannot imagine it being any worse than my BMW. I shall never buy any BMW ever again at any price. Period.

Have you considered a 2004 Acura TL? I assume the 2004 TL models have better transmissions. I have a 2001 Acura CL Type-S with nearly 300K and it has been one of my most reliable vehicles. It has not had transmission problems and has been relatively inexpensive to own. The 2004 models may prove even better.

Thank you everyone for the info especially Newbster with the detail info and insight. I appreciate it and keep it coming.

I don't have a ton of money to waste/spend and but do have enough money for maintenance/repairs. I'm pretty handy and I can probably do some of it myself. I realize these cars are about 7-8yrs old and requires certain maintenance but I just don't want to own a car that is poorly made with parts that breaks/breaks down easily and has known issues/problems.

I just wanna be able to get into a nice luxurious car with 8 cylinder engine and turn the key and drive. I just dont want to have a money pit of a car especially after experiencing Honda/Acura reliability and being happy with it.

I have own about a total of 8 Hondas/Acuras. I have considered an Acura but Im not a fan of the 2003 TL or RL. The 2004 TL is nice but it is the 1st year of the redesign and it is not an 8 cylinder engine. The BMW 540 and Lexus GS 430 are the 2 midsize sports sedans with an 8 cylinder engine that stands out for me in 2003.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Lexus vip build.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
People exaggerate the reliability of BMW's. They are great cars to own provided you stay ahead on maintenance, meaning getting everything done when it's scheduled to be done. I've had to take my car in five times in five months, but that's because I bought it used and it needed work done when I bought it. I've only spent money out of pocket once, and that was for an oil change. Three other times I've had to take it in because of a SES light coming on, and I needed the codes cleared. Hardly "unreliable" in my book especially considering my 2000 TL with fewer miles was in the shop more and had $3000 spent on it in the final three months I owned it.

Buy the Lexus if you want a car that rides smoothly and feels disconnected from the road, buy the BMW if you want a good drivers car.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Really?

I have two cars over 7 years old and neither one of them need regular repairs
Impossible unless they are driveway queens.

I bought an used Audi and spent 11000$ in maintenance / repairs between 70000 miles and 110000 miles. More recent cars do better, but that it is just plain ridiculous to suggest that a 7 yo car won't have regular repairs and will be as reliable as a newer one.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the I6 models are considerably more reliable than the M62 V8 models. The M62s have issues unique to that particular model not present on the I6.

I thought to mention the 2003 Infiniti M45. Have you considered them? Those may be within your price range as well. I used to own a 2002 Infiniti Q45, which is sort of a mate of the M45 (very similar), and it was reasonably reliable powertrain wise.

The only thing-since I had the 2002 model, it tended to burn oil and smoke upon start up. It did not affect driving as long as oil was changed/filled every 3K but it was something to be mindful of. The 2003 Q45 and M45 models are not as affected. The exhaust system also constantly leaked b/c of rust however, I do live in Midwestern USA where salt is used extensively in the winter. Engine wise, it felt only slightly faster than the Acura but sounded better and felt smoother. I always felt the 340HP rating was unrealistic.

Other nitpicks-ride and handling characteristics were unexceptional for the price, and although the interior center screen looks nice in pictures but could be bothersome to use in practice. Other than that, it was a decently reliable vehicle and very well built.

Last edited by newbster; 08-08-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 133 Posts

I bought an used Audi and spent 11000$ in maintenance / repairs between 70000 miles and 110000 miles. More recent cars do better, but that it is just plain ridiculous to suggest that a 7 yo car won't have regular repairs and will be as reliable as a newer one.
11k? wow. With the new transmission this week I think my dad's 98 740 is somewhere around 7k total. That is going from 80k miles to 215k miles. And my 97 cl doesn't get any more maintenance than it did in the year 2000 save for the timing belt in 2003. I won't argue that they are as reliable as a new car, but if you do your homework it shouldn't get out of control.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
GS for reliability.

My '88 Integra needed new wheel bearings around the 10-year mark, but no other repairs before that.
Only regular maintenance on a 1991 Camry and a 1994 Civic for over 10 years of ownership each (cars were sold privately)- no repairs.
The 2004 Odyssey had a leaking in a transmission case gasket repaired; nothing but regular maintenance otherwise.

I expect my street-driven vehicles to need occasional repairs, but not more than once a year and only after the warranty has expired.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Heart - 540i
Head - GS430

Depending on your financial situation might have to go with a pragmatic option.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
As usual you prove to be an idiot.

Youre not even worth wasting the time to try and set straight.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
If you're getting an auto, then i'd stick with the Lexus. I used to own a 2000 540i (6 speed) and a 1999 Lexus GS400. the BMW was a lot more fun to drive, but that was mostly due to the 6 speed. While I did have some of the issues that the 2nd poster mentioned with the BMW, the Lexus had 0 problems.

Again, if you're opting for the auto, I would go with the Lexus. Which car do I miss more? thee 540i by far. I sold my GS and got a 3 series btw. Couldn't stand not having a manual.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by charliemike
Heart - 540i
Head - GS430

The BMW to me is like the Hot chick with a gorgeous rack and ass that will be a lot of fun and give you a great time but can burn you and give you STDs.

The Lexus is like the good looking steady girlfriend with a decent rack and ass that will be consistent and always be there for you.

The problem is that Im very attracted to the BMW and all the benefits of the great driving machine but I dont wanna get burned. I dont swim in money but have some money set aside for maintenace and repairs but I dont want a money pit of a car with ongoing issues/problems. I rather use that extra money for upgrades. I was also hoping that by getting the last year of production for the E39 540 that all known issues would be resolved by then.

I am even willing to go for the 6 speed 540i if that means there are less problems but I dont think they have any problems with the auto trannys in the 540.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Impossible unless they are driveway queens
Impossible?

I've replaced the starter and windshield on the '97 TL and the '02 RL hasn't needed anything. The TL is close to 200,000 miles now and I've owned it for 7 1/2 years.

So is it still impossible?

I encourage you to ask other 1st gen TL and 1st gen RL owners for their experiences. There is a reason why I've kept these two vehicles, they run nearly forever without major issues.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by White02civicsi
The BMW to me is like the Hot chick with a gorgeous rack and ass that will be a lot of fun and give you a great time but can burn you and give you STDs.

The Lexus is like the good looking steady girlfriend with a decent rack and ass that will be consistent and always be there for you.

The problem is that Im very attracted to the BMW and all the benefits of the great driving machine but I dont wanna get burned. I dont swim in money but have some money set aside for maintenace and repairs but I dont want a money pit of a car with ongoing issues/problems. I rather use that extra money for upgrades. I was also hoping that by getting the last year of production for the E39 540 that all known issues would be resolved by then.

I am even willing to go for the 6 speed 540i if that means there are less problems but I dont think they have any problems with the auto trannys in the 540.
Well then, use your brain and not the other head
Old 08-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Lexus.... Then do this: (thanks Speedhunters)

It is the older Aristo with the new front end on it.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Get the Lexus.

Statistically speaking, you will have more problems with the Bimmer than the Lexus.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by White02civicsi
Thank you everyone for the info especially Newbster with the detail info and insight. I appreciate it and keep it coming.

I don't have a ton of money to waste/spend and but do have enough money for maintenance/repairs. I'm pretty handy and I can probably do some of it myself. I realize these cars are about 7-8yrs old and requires certain maintenance but I just don't want to own a car that is poorly made with parts that breaks/breaks down easily and has known issues/problems.

I just wanna be able to get into a nice luxurious car with 8 cylinder engine and turn the key and drive. I just dont want to have a money pit of a car especially after experiencing Honda/Acura reliability and being happy with it.

I have own about a total of 8 Hondas/Acuras. I have considered an Acura but Im not a fan of the 2003 TL or RL. The 2004 TL is nice but it is the 1st year of the redesign and it is not an 8 cylinder engine. The BMW 540 and Lexus GS 430 are the 2 midsize sports sedans with an 8 cylinder engine that stands out for me in 2003.
Sounds like the answer IS the GS430 which I'd opt for over the 540i.

A colleague of mine has an 02 540I (6mt) which he's had since new and has been very well maintained since day one. He loves the car to death but wants to unload it as it's having several issues (a couple major) that he was too aggravated to get into.

Another consideration might be the 1G Inifiniti M45

Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i am a bit biased.. but there is a reason for that...

i always wanted a 540i 6MT... but a good friend of mine had a 03 540i which he was first owner and dealer maintained... after i saw everything he had to go thru with that car, i wouldn't even touch it with a 10-ft pole... the dead pixels... the cooling fan bearing seizing and rocketing up into the bonnet... the electrical probs and CELs drove him mad... he eventually traded it in for a Civic EX-L!!!

last year when i was in the market for another car... my 01 GS430 was just perfect timing... good place, good time... it was a deal i couldn't pass up... 1 owner, dealer maintained and when i looked at the service records, the only thing it had replaced were the brakes and a faulty MAF sensor...

if you crave the handling and power of the 540i, that is nothing that some coilovers and some engine mods can't fix... oh yea one of the members on the CL boards has done a LSx swap and another with a TT 6spd conversion... but then that kinda kills the reliability factor...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
People exaggerate the reliability of BMW's. They are great cars to own provided you stay ahead on maintenance, meaning getting everything done when it's scheduled to be done. I've had to take my car in five times in five months, but that's because I bought it used and it needed work done when I bought it. I've only spent money out of pocket once, and that was for an oil change. Three other times I've had to take it in because of a SES light coming on, and I needed the codes cleared. Hardly "unreliable" in my book especially considering my 2000 TL with fewer miles was in the shop more and had $3000 spent on it in the final three months I owned it.

Buy the Lexus if you want a car that rides smoothly and feels disconnected from the road, buy the BMW if you want a good drivers car.
No they don't. I work in a shop that services really high end cars. Let me tell you, the E39, especially with the V-8 is a complete waste of money for a used car buyer. It is a money pit. Forget the Electrical gremlins, or the oil / coolant leakages. The rear subframe assembly goes bad on these cars, and you are in it for about 2 grand in repairs. From my experience, these are extremely unreliable and the owners eventually hate them. The E39 M5 is even worse.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Heart - 540i
Head - GS430

/thread.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 2003 GS430 with 140k and I just keep on driving that thing. The car looks awesome, the leather still holding up super well, and I have had to replace a few light bulbs, do regular maintenance and tires. I do need to have the LED lights on the stereo checked.. they stopped working for some reason. Dealer service is superb and my service advisor goes out of his way to make sure that I walk out of the dealership with a smile on my face every time.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
If cost and reliability are paramount stick with the Lexus.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
A 7yo car will need regular repairs, BMW or Lexus. Don't expect high reliability.
We had a 1994 Camry which we purchased in 1997. Other then a water pump and timing belt at 100k miles, we drove it into the ground. Got nearly 170k out of it and all we really did was change the oil regularly. We also had a 1991 Chevy K1500 for a while as an errand vehicle and other then oil changes, we did not put a dime into it. Sold it to my sister and brother-in-law who is using it for contractor-type work. Still going strong approaching 200k and they have not put a dime into it either except for an oil change...

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
As usual you prove to be an idiot.

You're not even worth wasting the time to try and set straight.
Not sure why we bother with the replies, but for some reason we do...

As for the OP... If you are prepared for BMW ownership, go for the 540i as it will reward you greatly. If you just want to drive and not do much to a car mechanically... the Lexus is your best bet...
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
We had a 1994 Camry which we purchased in 1997. Other then a water pump and timing belt at 100k miles, we drove it into the ground. Got nearly 170k out of it and all we really did was change the oil regularly. We also had a 1991 Chevy K1500 for a while as an errand vehicle and other then oil changes, we did not put a dime into it. Sold it to my sister and brother-in-law who is using it for contractor-type work. Still going strong approaching 200k and they have not put a dime into it either except for an oil change...
I have to agree. Sometimes you get a car that will really minimal amounts of maintaining. I complain about my oil consumption in my I35, but other than oil changes, tires and brakes the car has not needed a lot.

And I'm closing in on 160K. Should be there later this week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 BMW 540 Auto or 2003 Lexus GS430?