2003 acura tl type-s vs. 2003 acura rsx type-s

Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 acura tl type-s vs. 2003 acura rsx type-s

This thread got closed so I moved it here.

I am currently going to buy a new car and I am deciding between these two. I need opinions becasue I like both of them. I am aware they are completely different cars!! Now if I get the TL i plan on lowering it, would that take the luxury out of it?? I need peoples EDUCATED opinions because they are pretty much the same price and I cannot decide right now. Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
what you want...

Stick or manual

/thread
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
what you want...

Stick or manual

/thread
wow im slipping.

Auto or Manual? Which would you rather have.

RSX is sporty
TL is more comfy cruiser.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
2 very different cars. You get more car with a TL. The RSX is an ok car but it's not fast & it's not a style car.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Two completely different cars.

Do you want a comfortable cruiser with luxury or a fun car meant to carve some canyons with lots of tuning potential?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
2 very different cars. You get more car with a TL. The RSX is an ok car but it's not fast & it's not a style car.
A Fully Modded RSX on boost etc will flat out right kill any TL that has performance mods in it. Now it appears he doesnt care about speed and modding the engine really, he mainly is gona mod for looks so obviously he doesnt need to get an RSX then. Now stock for stock, the TL has a better engine at stock. But modded, no, the RSX wins modded out completely against a TLs engine modded out.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh and i got my kit from my local Acura Dealer. They had to order one for me. Unfortunately the side skirts were the only pieces that didnt come in the color of my car. I had to have there body shop sand em down and repaint them SSM factory color. They came out flawless. Anyways, those kits are hard to find because they dont manufacture them anymore. When acura stop manufacturing parts like that, they send all of them to this one place, forgot what its called but thats where the dealer ordered my kit from for me. I had to pay out the ass for the kit though cuz it was through the dealer, oh well cuz i wanted it badly before they were all gone. Yea, the back rubs sometimes when i have a full car of 4 people and i hit a decent dip in the road or if i turn tooo hard from one main road onto another main road. The front only rubs for a split sec only when i hit a nise size dip in the road. You know those unexpected dips in the roads that you dont see? Thats when the front ones rub. If im driving by myself, just me in the car driving, the back never rubs but the front will rub for a split sec if i hit a dip like i mentioned already.

Last edited by dvsxlt247; 07-10-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vs.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I dont think you know what you want so it's an easier choice to get the RSX where you have plenty of modding abilities against the TL-S where you are limited. I can see it now 6 months down the road you being unhappy you bought the heavy TL-S w/260hp thinking you are gonna be smoking everyone on the streets when in reality you wont.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Just to chime in... I had a 2002 TL-S lowered (among other mods) and it removes some of the luxury, however, not all of it. I dropped it with H&R Sports which were perfect b/c they stiffened the ride up so it handled well... but not too much, so the car still had a great feel to it. Pics can be found on www.juniorbean.net if you're interested.

Even though you're comparing apples to oranges, I'll give my two cents. I'd go TL. The RSX is a kiddie car to me... and would only be something I would have been interested in around 19 years old or younger. But that's just me.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Advanced

The only thing that is really stopping me from getting the tl is the transmission. I don't want to spend 20k on the car and then 2 months later have to spend another 5k on a transmission. Trust me, I would already have the tl if it wasn't for this!!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kgrules12
The only thing that is really stopping me from getting the tl is the transmission. I don't want to spend 20k on the car and then 2 months later have to spend another 5k on a transmission. Trust me, I would already have the tl if it wasn't for this!!
The service bulletin 02-027 states that it applies to all TLs for 2002 and 2003 model years. It extends the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100k miles. In other words, should you buy one that doesn't have over 100k on it, you'll be fine when it comes to the tranny.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
The service bulletin 02-027 states that it applies to all TLs for 2002 and 2003 model years. It extends the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100k miles. In other words, should you buy one that doesn't have over 100k on it, you'll be fine when it comes to the tranny.
But once i go over 100k would I have to worry about it? Also, if I buy it used would I still have this warranty??
Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Also, is it only the 02 and 03 models that have this problem?? Lets say I get an 01 would I have to worry about the transmission then??
Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

But once i go over 100k would I have to worry about it? Also, if I buy it used would I still have this warranty??
The factory will most likely do the service as a goodwill if it has over 100k miles on it. I have personally signed on the ROs for a few of them under that clause. Buying the car used will have nothing to do with it in this case. This is a service bulletin, not just a regular warranty. Hyundai is one of the worst about the initial warranty being scrapped when it's sold to a 2nd owner. You basically only have whatever is left of the 3.36 bumper to bumper warranty. That 10-year shit is out the window.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced

The factory will most likely do the service as a goodwill if it has over 100k miles on it. I have personally signed on the ROs for a few of them under that clause. Buying the car used will have nothing to do with it in this case. This is a service bulletin, not just a regular warranty. Hyundai is one of the worst about the initial warranty being scrapped when it's sold to a 2nd owner. You basically only have whatever is left of the 3.36 bumper to bumper warranty. That 10-year shit is out the window.
Okay, so just some or your guy's opinion. What percentage of the 03 type s tl's do you think would have or have had their transmission replaced or had something go wrong with them.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Okay, so just some or your guy's opinion. What percentage of the 03 type s tl's do you think would have or have had their transmission replaced or had something go wrong with them.
It really varied. I mean, they built 50k of them per year. I would say I saw about 2-3 come in per week. Turns out, there were about 15k of them that had it done nationally, but that numebr is a bit messed up because there were a couple other methods tried to fix the problem. They ended up agreeing that replacing the tranny and the PCM was the only way to go...after about 3 other "fixes" that used a little less work/parts. I wouldn't sweat this detail very much. Honda got the fix, but there are still a lot of owners out there that are very bitter on this topic.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced

It really varied. I mean, they built 50k of them per year. I would say I saw about 2-3 come in per week. Turns out, there were about 15k of them that had it done nationally, but that numebr is a bit messed up because there were a couple other methods tried to fix the problem. They ended up agreeing that replacing the tranny and the PCM was the only way to go...after about 3 other "fixes" that used a little less work/parts. I wouldn't sweat this detail very much. Honda got the fix, but there are still a lot of owners out there that are very bitter on this topic.
So when they replaced them was that it, they were good to go, or was it an ongoing problem like they had to be replaced multiple times?? Also, where do you work?? You said you saw 2-3 of them come in per year.

If I did the math right its about a 35% chance that your tranny is gonna be screwed? Have you replaced your tranny??
Old 07-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

So when they replaced them was that it, they were good to go, or was it an ongoing problem like they had to be replaced multiple times?? Also, where do you work?? You said you saw 2-3 of them come in per year.

If I did the math right its about a 35% chance that your tranny is gonna be screwed? Have you replaced your tranny??
They were initially just switching out the forward solenoids (A then B)...then the tranny...then the PCM...then the PCM and the tranny. I was seeing 2-3 a week, not per year. I used to work for Honda (for 2.5 years) and then Acura (for 3.5 years) before going into banking last year. I haven't had to replace a tranny in any of my personal cars. I only drive Japanese-built Honda products (except for the 3 generations of Civic Si that I've owned). Other than the Si inventory, I've had a '98 ITR, an RSX-S (for the track), 2 S2Ks, and 2 TSXs.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced

They were initially just switching out the forward solenoids (A then B)...then the tranny...then the PCM...then the PCM and the tranny. I was seeing 2-3 a week, not per year. I used to work for Honda (for 2.5 years) and then Acura (for 3.5 years) before going into banking last year. I haven't had to replace a tranny in any of my personal cars. I only drive Japanese-built Honda products (except for the 3 generations of Civic Si that I've owned). Other than the Si inventory, I've had a '98 ITR, an RSX-S (for the track), 2 S2Ks, and 2 TSXs.
So it's almost definate I will have to replace the tranny on that bastard? Are the 02 and 03's the only one with these problems?? How was the TSX in terms of power?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

So it's almost definate I will have to replace the tranny on that bastard? Are the 02 and 03's the only one with these problems?? How was the TSX in terms of power?
I wouldn't go so far to say that it's definate, but Acura willingly admitted that there was a problem with the initial transmissions and offered support to help resolve the matter. Like I said before, I wouldn't let the trany factor be the deciding one when it comes to purchase.

The engine in the TSX is good enough for a 4-banger. I've had 2 now, and I'm happy with it. Mind you, I've bought a TSX after each S2000. By no means would I call the TSX fast, but it's still a joy to drive.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced

I wouldn't go so far to say that it's definate, but Acura willingly admitted that there was a problem with the initial transmissions and offered support to help resolve the matter. Like I said before, I wouldn't let the trany factor be the deciding one when it comes to purchase.

The engine in the TSX is good enough for a 4-banger. I've had 2 now, and I'm happy with it. Mind you, I've bought a TSX after each S2000. By no means would I call the TSX fast, but it's still a joy to drive.
All right, thanks for all your help. I am still worried about the transmission cause I really don't want to worry about it at all. Might look into getting a 99-01 tl, do these have any problems? Or I may just get the rsx just about anything right now is an upgrade of my 92 civic.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Also have you driven the 03 tl type s. You said you had an rsx type s, stock for stock what do you think is the faster car. I know dvsxlt247 already said the tl type s was faster just want to get a second opinion. Also dvsxlt247, hows ur 99 in terms of power? are you happy with it? you said it wasn't an type s right? Any prob with ur transmission?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Also have you driven the 03 tl type s. You said you had an rsx type s, stock for stock what do you think is the faster car. I know dvsxlt247 already said the tl type s was faster just want to get a second opinion. Also dvsxlt247, hows ur 99 in terms of power? are you happy with it? you said it wasn't an type s right? Any prob with ur transmission?
I was in management for dealers for a long time. I used to use them as demos. I don't think of the cars as which one is faster because they both run about the same acceleration times in stock form. Like I said before, you're comparing apples and oranges...strike that. Apples and watermelons. They aren't compeditors. Hell, they're in the same lineup and have 2 VERY different target demographics. I'd say, out of the 2, to get the TL-S. It holds its value better, has better fit and finish, has better interior/exterior features, and overall offers more for the money.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Racer

The RSX is so cheaply made, you will appreciate the TL much more than the RSX or even the TSX.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced

I was in management for dealers for a long time. I used to use them as demos. I don't think of the cars as which one is faster because they both run about the same acceleration times in stock form. Like I said before, you're comparing apples and oranges...strike that. Apples and watermelons. They aren't compeditors. Hell, they're in the same lineup and have 2 VERY different target demographics. I'd say, out of the 2, to get the TL-S. It holds its value better, has better fit and finish, has better interior/exterior features, and overall offers more for the money.
yeah im prolly gonna get the tl. Just a question you said u owned an rsx type-s but not a tl-s, just wondering why you would want me to get a tl-s. Is it just cause u use your type s for the track?

Also what do you would think would be reasonable price for a 03 tl-s with 30-60k miles on it?? Thanks for all the help!!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
hail to the victors

rsx is no good!!

no wonder they won't make 'em anymore!!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah im prolly gonna get the tl. Just a question you said u owned an rsx type-s but not a tl-s, just wondering why you would want me to get a tl-s. Is it just cause u use your type s for the track?

Also what do you would think would be reasonable price for a 03 tl-s with 30-60k miles on it?? Thanks for all the help!!
I just sold a ton of them and used the TL-S as a demo for quite some time. The RSX isn't grown-up enough for the Acura lineup anymore. As for pricing, you're throwing in waaaay to big of a variation in mileage. Basically, just check out your local Acura dealer's page and see how the certified market is out where you live...then subtract about $1500 from their listed price. That'll give you a decent idea.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

Same year TL and RSX, same price?

@ the RSX bashing [for the trillionth time]
Different people, different needs and priorities.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
rsx is no good!!

no wonder they won't make 'em anymore!!
It was an excellent car, it simply didnt fit in with what Acura wanted to be.

The new Civic Si is basically the reincarnation of the RSX.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
FYI, I had my tranny replaced around 30k (if I'm remembering correctly). Once the new tranny and transmission cooler was dropped in, ran smooth as butter. Sold it around 73k and it was still running great.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by juniorbean
FYI, I had my tranny replaced around 30k (if I'm remembering correctly). Once the new tranny and transmission cooler was dropped in, ran smooth as butter. Sold it around 73k and it was still running great.
So you think its a safe bet that once the tranny is replaced there shouldn't be anymore problems? As I read more and more on this site it seems that there is a 95% chance if you buy a tl your gonna get the tranny replaced. I can't see how anyone would want one if this is the case. If I'm wrong please let me know.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Advanced

I just got off the phone with a guy from niello acura and he said not all 03 tl's are covered under the 7yr/100,000 transmission replacement. He said he would have to run the VIN number to see if it applied to a certain car!! WTF so even if I get one and the tranny breaks I might not be covered, I think buying this TL might be a major risk!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got off the phone with a guy from niello acura and he said not all 03 tl's are covered under the 7yr/100,000 transmission replacement. He said he would have to run the VIN number to see if it applied to a certain car!! WTF so even if I get one and the tranny breaks I might not be covered, I think buying this TL might be a major risk!!!
Slow down there, Turbo. The reason not all 2003 models are covered under the bulletin is because they caught the problem and started issuing later 2003 models with the updated transmission and PCM. You have no further implied risk in purchasing one that was using the updated 'box. From the input on a number of your posts, it's safe to say that you worry too much.

I can't force someone to buy one car over another. All I can do is offer a wide variety of facts & figures and present them in a manner that helps one make an informed decision. Just like when I used to actually sell them.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Slow down there, Turbo. The reason not all 2003 models are covered under the bulletin is because they caught the problem and started issuing later 2003 models with the updated transmission and PCM. You have no further implied risk in purchasing one that was using the updated 'box. From the input on a number of your posts, it's safe to say that you worry too much.

I can't force someone to buy one car over another. All I can do is offer a wide variety of facts & figures and present them in a manner that helps one make an informed decision. Just like when I used to actually sell them.
lol, I just want to be able to sleep at night once I buy this car. I am prolly gonna get the tl cause the rsx seems to kiddy to me after more research I am still worried about this tranny though!