The 10 high-performance machines that shaped today's automotive landscape

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Cool The 10 high-performance machines that shaped today's automotive landscape

Ultimate Rides
The 10 high-performance machines that shaped today's automotive landscape.

Source: Pulled from: http://www.exoticdriven.com/exotic-c...landscape.html

1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, aka "The Gullwing"

Soon after the automobile was invented and its basic layout defined, engineers began refining it for high-performance thrill seekers — improving design, adding power and improving handling. For decades a chasm separated the high-performance racers from the road-going runabouts. Then in the '50s and '60s racing technology and performance entered the everyday realm, and soon the most audacious Grand Touring sports cars morphed into the first supercars. Today's supercars represent an automaker's pinnacle of style, technology and performance, but still they pay homage to the trailblazing steeds that have gone before them. Although it's always tough to narrow the field, we've put together a list of the 10 most charismatic and influential sports cars ever to grace asphalt.

1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL, aka "The Gullwing"
The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL was initially conceived as a race car, the W 194, as are most great sports cars. The German automaker had no plans to produce a street-legal version, but Maximilian Hoffman, the official importer of Mercedes-Benz cars into America at the time, lobbied for a sports car that he could sell to his upscale clientele. The W 194 fit the bill perfectly, so Mercedes greenlighted production. Thus the 300 SL (or W 198) was born. While they might look cool, the 300 SL's signature "Gullwing" doors are not just for show. They are actually a practical solution to an engineering problem. To enhance stability, the 300 SL's tubular frame rises far up the sides of the vehicle, making it impossible to fit conventional doors. So the Stuttgart-based automaker devised an upward-opening door; hence the wing-like appearance. Another special feature is the six-cylinder engine's direct injection system. The first of its kind, the system helped the 300 SL's 3.0-liter straight six develop 215 horsepower. The SL offered fast and precise cornering, exceptional acceleration and enough torque to ensure good pulling power at any speed.

1965 Shelby AC Cobra Mark III
In 1963 retired race car driver Carroll Shelby dropped a Ford small-block overhead valve V8 engine under the hood of a British-designed A.C. Ace roadster and made history. He called the concoction the Shelby A.C. Cobra Mark I. To accommodate the large 4.3-liter engine, Shelby engineers strengthened the Ace's tubular chassis, flared the fenders to accommodate wider tires and installed four-wheel disc brakes. They also upgraded the transmission to a Borg-Warner four-speed manual and added a limited-slip differential. About 75 Mark I Cobras were built before Shelby started arming the roadster with an even larger 4.7-liter V8. He introduced the Mark II version in 1963, adding rack-and-pinion steering. Then the tall Texan teamed up with Ford in 1965 to create the Cobra Mark III, the most famous Cobra of all. Built on a stronger tube chassis and running on a coil-spring rear suspension, the Mark III was powered by a thunderous 427 cubic-inch (7.0-liter) Ford V8 that produced 425 horsepower in standard form and 485 in racing trim. The latter had a top speed close to 190 mph, which was unheard of back then. The Shelby A.C. Cobra built up an enviable competition record, including a win over the perceived "invincible" Scuderia Ferrari at the 1965 World Manufacturers Championship for GT cars. Today, it is one of the most sought after collector cars, fetching more than seven figures at auction and from private collectors.

1966 Lamborghini Miura
Displeased with the customer service at Ferrari, successful Italian industrialist and tractor manufacturer Ferruccio Lamborghini decided to build his own sports cars. At the Geneva Motor Show in 1966 he introduced what was arguably his greatest creation to date: The sleek and stunningly beautiful Miura, named after a breed of fighting bull. Designed by Marcello Gandini, who is famous for building aggressive, imaginative and futuristic looking sports cars, the Miura was the first modern supercar. It featured a 4.0-liter 345-horsepower V12 engine mounted amidships and transversely behind the seats, and could go more than 170 mph. Off the line it accelerated from zero to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. Encouraged by the Miura's success, Lamborghini would launch an even more radical successor a few years later: the Countach, also styled by Gandini.

1986 Porsche 959

Twenty years after the launch of its seminal 911, Porsche wanted to see how far it could push the rear-engine architecture. The autobahn-ready version of the 959 was unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show in the fall of 1985. The styling was a forward-looking interpretation of the 911 with body panels made of composite materials. This kept the weight to less than 3,200 pounds in spite of the extra mass of the electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system, an unprecedented feature on a sports car of that period. The 959 was powered by a 2.85-liter 6-cylinder "boxer" engine with sequential turbochargers that developed close to 450 horsepower: enough for a 0-60 dash in 3.6 seconds and a peak velocity of 197 mph. The 959 inspired the subsequent evolution of the 911 Turbo and various all-wheel-drive applications. Less than 400 were built — all prized possessions nowadays.

1990 Acura NSX
Honda, Acura's parent company, built the NSX during the company's glory days in Formula One racing. The car showcased much of Honda's track technology, including an ultra-rigid, ultra-light aluminum monocoque chassis (the first ever in a production car), aluminum suspension, titanium connecting rods, forged pistons and high-revving capabilities. It was powered by a mid-mounted 3.0-liter V6 that produced 270 horsepower, providing enough get-up-and-go to take on any European exotic. The strong body and aluminum suspension components delivered a firm ride and superior handling. A bonus: The NSX was super reliable, with many going more than 100,000 miles. Today, the NSX is still considered to be the most reliable exotic car ever built.

1994 McLaren F1
After winning 15 out 16 Formula One races in 1988, McLaren Cars decided to expand its operation by building a no-compromise, street-legal supercar. The idea was to build a car that had a high power-to-weight ratio, yet be usable for everyday driving. Gordan Murray, the South African automaker's technical director, and stylist Peter Stevens decided to make a small car using lightweight components and a large, normally aspirated V12 engine. Like a race car, Murray placed the driver's seat in the center of the F1 to provide the best possible view of the road. Additionally, the F1 didn't have any driving aids — no traction control, ABS, power brakes, power steering, nothing. Thanks to a carbon fiber monocoque chassis and body, this land rocket weighed only 2,500 pounds — about the same as a Mazda Miata. Unlike the Miata, however, the F1 was powered by a 6.1-liter engine custom designed by BMW that developed 627 horsepower, enough to gallop from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds. The F1's top speed of 231 mph has yet to be matched by any normally aspirated production car.

2003 Ferrari Enzo
To celebrate its first Formula One World Championship of the new millennium, Ferrari decided to build an all-new supercar that incorporated some of the racing technologies that made Michael Schumacher, the Italian stallion's F1 driver, a five-time world champion. Ferrari is well known for building some of the most refined, fastest vehicles on the planet. But this one was special, featuring a carbon-fiber body, sequential shift transmission and carbon-ceramic brake discs. It also featured active aerodynamics and traction control. Power was supplied by a 6.0-liter 660-horsepower V12. The Enzo, named after the automaker's founder, could reach 230 mph, accelerate to 60 mph in about 3.15 seconds and travel the quarter mile 11 seconds. A total of 399 cars were built. A 400th was built later and auctioned off for more than $1.3 million to help survivors of the 2004 tsunami.

2006 Bugatti 16.4 Veyron
This Bugatti is all about excess, as most are. As promised by then Volkswagen Group chairman Ferdinand Piëch (VW owns the Bugatti brand), the 16.4 Veyron has indeed become the fastest, most powerful and priciest production car in history. This sizable coupe is powered by a 16-cylinder 8.0-liter engine force-fed by four turbochargers. It has a maximum output of 987 horsepower. Coupled to a 7-speed, double-clutch sequential gearbox with four-wheel drive, it vaults to 60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds, blasts through the quarter mile in just over 10 seconds and reaches a top speed of 253 mph. Thankfully, it has carbon brakes with eight titanium pistons in front and six at the rear to slow a mass of more than two tons (4,160 lb). Oh, and it also consumes more fuel than any other car, with an EPA fuel economy rating of 7 mpg in the city and 10 in highway driving. If you can find one (they are all sold out), the Veyron will probably run you just over $2 million.

2008 Audi R8

The R8 is Audi's brilliant first effort at building a true sports car. Named after the German carmaker's fabulously successful prototype racer, the R8 has sleek aluminum body work stretched over an aluminum space frame with a mid-mounted 4.2-liter 420-horsepower V8 displayed under a glass hatch. It accelerates to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and travels the quarter mile in 12.75 seconds, with standard quattro all-wheel drive and either a manual or optional automatic-clutch 6-speed gearbox. Yet its greatness is not achieved through numbers but rather an outstanding blend of exotic-level handling, engine sound and exceptional levels of ride, comfort and build-quality. And it does all that at a price that radically undercuts current exotics. The R8 is sold out through 2009, but Audi is currently developing an R8 roadster and more powerful versions with either a gasoline V10 or a diesel V12.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
The newest Corvette might not have the blue-blood breeding of European exotic peers, but man does it have the power, performance, handling, braking and refinement to compete with the best of the breed — and it hasn't even gone into full production yet. Under its carbon-fiber hood sits the new LS9 engine: a supercharged 6.2-liter version of the legendary Chevy "small-block" that produces 638 horsepower. The ZR1's chassis combines aluminum and magnesium for strength and to reduce weight. To further slim it out, body panels are made from both polymer and carbon fiber. Standard "Magnetic Selective Ride" shocks make it impressively refined and quiet on the road, and it comes with fantastic carbon-ceramic brakes developed by Brembo that will stop the ZR1 on a dime. Chevrolet says the ZR1 will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds, run the quarter mile in 11.3-seconds and achieve a top speed of 205 mph. Supercar performance indeed, at an amazingly affordable base price of $103,000.

Other honorable mentions — notable for significance, pure fun and sheer beauty — include:

1961 Jaguar E-Type
1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/4
1972 BMW 2002tii
1980 Audi quattro
1965 Lotus Seven Series II
1973 Lancia Stratos HF
1992 Dodge Viper
2009 Nissan GT-R
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
1961 Jaguar E-Type
1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/4
1972 BMW 2002tii
1980 Audi quattro
1965 Lotus Seven Series II
1973 Lancia Stratos HF
1992 Dodge Viper
2004 Carrera GT
2009 Nissan GT-R
Fixed.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
no pics FTL
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
only ferrari on the list is the enzo?
and I don't know about the r8 either. just a gallardo w/ an audi engine

I would definitely put most of the honorable mentions higher on the list, especially the 275 and seven. and replace the zr1 w/ the 53' vette, and add maybe the toyota 2000gt or 240z.

Maybe I just don't see how a new car can have "shaped the automotive landscape", when they are still making it. I suppose the veyron is alright, cause it's been 'in the works' for so long, and I don't think anyone will build a car quite like that for some time.

Last edited by Osamu; 11-12-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phee
no pics FTL
add them!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
add them!

I dunno what NSX's look like, please post.

Currently have an eye on a low, low mileage 04.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

Found a great deal for you!!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=551

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
add them!
Crazy Acura:
What's the value of a 1992 NSX? Immaculate condition with just under 100 000 km (or around 60 000 miles). All recommended servicing documented since new.

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
What color, mileage, price, etc. Us NSX guys can help.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by teranfon
Crazy Acura:
What's the value of a 1992 NSX? Immaculate condition with just under 100 000 km (or around 60 000 miles). All recommended servicing documented since new.

Terry
With service records? Timing belt/water pump done?

I would say $30k would be a good deal if its not in the snap ring range.

Hell actually i would pay a little more if it had all the service records since new!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

EXCELLENT condition with those miles (and all records), probably around 32-35k US. With the current market, it will probably go for lower if the previous owner really needs to sell. Now if this is a Canadian car, most likely it will be a bit more pricier.

Crazy Acura:

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by synth19
Hi synth19

Not sure of the colour yet, as I just found out the gentleman wants to sell it. I haven't seen the car and the only information I have is what he has told me to this point. The car apparently has just under 100 000 kilometers and is in outstanding condition. Currently owned by an older gentleman who wants to sell it before the upcoming spring.

I'll add more details as they're relayed to me.

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

With service records? Timing belt/water pump done?

I would say $30k would be a good deal if its not in the snap ring range.

Hell actually i would pay a little more if it had all the service records since new!
Thanks CA. As far as the maintenance details are concerned, all I know at this point is that everything recommended has been performed. As soon as I find out more I'll let you and synth19 know.

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Maintenance is important, but not a deal breaker if the car is in as good condition as you describe. If he doesn't have records, or is unsure about the timing belt/water pump service, that's an automatic negotiating factor as that will set you back around 2k to get that done.

Hi synth19

Not sure of the colour yet, as I just found out the gentleman wants to sell it. I haven't seen the car and the only information I have is what he has told me to this point. The car apparently has just under 100 000 kilometers and is in outstanding condition. Currently owned by an older gentleman who wants to sell it before the upcoming spring.

I'll add more details as they're relayed to me.

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R8 does not belong on that list
Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM
I feel the need...

Don't want to give up too much detail because I'm hoping to pick off at a ridiculous level.

I'll just say it was offered on e-bay a few months ago at $67.5 and delisted without selling. It has well under 10k on the odo and the dealer said it was a one-owner trade for a Z06. It is unmodded and looks pristine from pics. Internet salesdude at the time said oh yeah, if you don't want it we have a wholesaler who's already offered to coverbid at 65k, bs like any good sales dude would.

I'm still on the fence for the following reasons:

1. Economy is shitty and I would feel embarrassed to drive it.
2. It doesn't have side curtain airbags.
3. Nagging feeling I would love it but still want to trade up in short order.
4. Wifey thinks I have no need for a sports car.

Yes, I know those are sorta lame objections - BUT...feel free to convince me!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Now why arent you kids posting all this stuff in the NSX section.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I feel the need...

Now why arent you kids posting all this stuff in the NSX section.
Laziness, unless the NSX has a R&P/M&I section.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

PM me price, color, miles, etc. and I'll give you my confidential advice/opinion. Before I bought my NSX, I studied the market for 10-12 months, so I have a little insight. I still watch it daily to see trends. Personally, If I was looking for the newer style, I would rather get an '03 or '02. '04 still has some depreciating to do. '05's are obviously valuable and priced accordingly. Now to the car, you WILL love the NSX the longer you own it. Its a tremendous value for what it is. The car is becoming a collectors car and has a timeless design. Like you, I thought I would trade up eventually. But to be honest, I don't think I could justify getting ever get rid of mine. This is a car you want to keep in your stable as long as possible. Much more rarer then many of the Lambos and F cars you see on the road today. I also see many former NSX owners regretting their sale, and coming back. You cannot beat the cost of ownership compared to other sports cars/exotics, as well as it's reliability.

Don't want to give up too much detail because I'm hoping to pick off at a ridiculous level.

I'll just say it was offered on e-bay a few months ago at $67.5 and delisted without selling. It has well under 10k on the odo and the dealer said it was a one-owner trade for a Z06. It is unmodded and looks pristine from pics. Internet salesdude at the time said oh yeah, if you don't want it we have a wholesaler who's already offered to coverbid at 65k, bs like any good sales dude would.

I'm still on the fence for the following reasons:

1. Economy is shitty and I would feel embarrassed to drive it.
2. It doesn't have side curtain airbags.
3. Nagging feeling I would love it but still want to trade up in short order.
4. Wifey thinks I have no need for a sports car.

Yes, I know those are sorta lame objections - BUT...feel free to convince me!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I feel the need...

PM me price, color, miles, etc. and I'll give you my confidential advice/opinion. Before I bought my NSX, I studied the market for 10-12 months, so I have a little insight. I still watch it daily to see trends.
Thanks, I'll send a PM shortly. It's been my dream car forever, but everytime I seriously think about getting one, the mag racer in me thinks if I just wait, something cooler and better will come along shortly.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I feel the need...

I forgot one last objection:

5. Three Acuras in the garage is just a tad fanboish.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

CA and synth:

OK:
The car is red/black glass/ivory interior.
Belt/pump/clutch have been replaced.
Tein RA coilover suspension.
Fikse wheels and and aftermarket brakes.
DC header and ARDT exhaust.

(Sorry to highjack the post CA, but I'm sure you're interested in the NSX)

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow sounds like a hot car.

How much is he asking for it? I'd pay no more than $35-36k for that.

Whats strange is that NSX with mods seems to fetch more in terms of price. But the fact he did the clutch and belt/pump is great. That saves you over 2k!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
everyone on here is getting an M3 or NSX
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow sounds like a hot car.

How much is he asking for it? I'd pay no more than $35k for that.

Whats strange is that NSX with mods seems to fetch more in terms of price. But the fact he did the clutch and belt/pump is great. That saves you over 2k!
We haven't discussed price as of yet. He will send me photos of the car shortly and I will post them once I receive them.

To be honest, I have never heard of Fikse wheels, a DC header, and ARDT exhaust. Are these items exclusive to Honda/Acura products?

Terry
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Hm, for some reason i think the Toyota Supra or Skyline should be on there. They really molded the whole import scene.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Fikse wheels are custom forged wheels, can be made for any car. Not cheap.

DC headers are cheaply made but i think that ARDT exhaust is good quality but not sure.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Fikse wheels are custom forged wheels for any car. Not cheap.

DC headers are cheaply made but i think that ARDT exhaust is good quality.
Camaro, Firebird and Corvette guys love Fikses..... they are quality but $$$$$$

Oh and its hardly ever mentioned but I the 959.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Also keep in mind that 91-94 there is no power steering.

I found that out after i bought it. Guess I didnt research enough although after getting use to it i am now enjoying the feel.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

hmmmm sounds like the candian NSX knows what he has, so I wouldn't expect that great of a deal.. but who knows. I think the exhaust is ARC DTS, not ARDT. The ARC sounds great!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with all of them except the 959 and Miura
Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The ten are spot on...not sure how some of those honorable mentions got even that, though.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

CA and synth:

Here is the first photo of the car. It looks very nice, although I think the suspension is set somewhat on the high side. Probably best to deal with our Canadian roadways). I am interested in the car. It is currently away for winter storage, and I plan to look at it when I'm in Toronto in the new year.

Terry
Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i pretty much agree with that list -give or take a few-

i'm sure my decision would change on a weekly basis
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
CA and synth:

Here is the first photo of the car. It looks very nice, although I think the suspension is set somewhat on the high side. Probably best to deal with our Canadian roadways). I am interested in the car. It is currently away for winter storage, and I plan to look at it when I'm in Toronto in the new year.

Terry
Looks great to me.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Very nice NSX! You can always lower it with a conservative setup and still manage your roads. DEFINITELY needs a drop. Wheels are a bit small for my tastes, but they are nice. As you can see, I'm a bit lower.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

synth, overall, how are these things as a daily driver? The NSX is a car I have always had an interest in, but never lusted over. Lately, however, the car has a greater appeal to me. This particular car seems to be in wonderful shape, has been absolutely fanatically maintained and loved, and seems to be a car which offers many more enjoyable miles. I would like something a little different, exotic, comfortable, and reliable. Most of the research I have done on them seems to be very favourable. I have actually read of a number of people who originally owned an NSX, sold it for something with a little more perceived pedigree, only to regret it and eventually go back to an NSX.

Terry
Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

^ You are absolutely right, most owners ALWAYS seem to regret their decision and come back at some point.. I was seriously thinking of selling my NSX and picking up a used Italian exotic. But I just couldn't come to terms with selling my NSX. I will get something else in the future, but it would have to be an addition, not a replacement. The NSX is super reliable and can be used as a DD if need be. You will see plenty of NSX's about 100k miles. Try that on a Lambo or Ferrari.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

That car looks great! Personally i like the wheels on there.

What amazes me is how many NSX owners have TWO. They have one they baby and another for a daily driver. But seriously, we all know how much i had issues with getting bored with cars. The NSX is seriously has put that bug at ease. Only time i was tempted to sell was to get a 97+ NSX with targa.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the advice and input CA and synth. Very much appreciated. I have made arrangements with the owner to see the car when I'm in Toronto, either late January or mid March. He tells me it will definitely be for sale.

If you don't mind, can I contact either or both of you for further input when I look at it?

Terry

Quick Reply: The 10 high-performance machines that shaped today's automotive landscape