10 common car-buying mistakes By Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife brings her financial calculator and runs the numbers at every phase of the negotiation. She is smarter than they are and better at negotiation. When we bought the Forester, the dealer's people were basically quivering, mumbling piles after FOUR HOURS of negotiating. I need to rent her out to people buying cars--"Evil Chinese Female Negotiator for Rent--Reduce Your Salesperson to Tears!".
Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
My wife brings her financial calculator and runs the numbers at every phase of the negotiation. She is smarter than they are and better at negotiation. When we bought the Forester, the dealer's people were basically quivering, mumbling piles after FOUR HOURS of negotiating. I need to rent her out to people buying cars--"Evil Chinese Female Negotiator for Rent--Reduce Your Salesperson to Tears!".
If she is calculating everything to the penny then how many pennies does she allow the sales person for their commission? When I do car math in my head I keep in mind that they're better off letting a car sit on the lot a while than giving it away at cost and that they have better things to do than act as a non-profit go between.

Also why should such a sales negotiation take four hours if you know the numbers in your equation before hand? Shouldn't that ensure an ultimatum comes quicker and that they either agree to it or they don't? Do you really sit there as they say no, no, no, no over and over and are they really willing to give such a customer that kind of time that might have been better spent jerking off after having their commission wittled down to nothing? I remember when pricing TSX's I tried out a low ball number which someone on this forum had allegded to have payed OTD and the dealer said "oh, we can't do that, no way ha ha." And that was that, end of conversation.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
4 hours in the dealer FTL.

Stick to email and let the dealers compete against each other for the best price.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
5. Buying the "deal" instead of the vehicle.
Automakers have been offering a variety of attractive sales incentives in recent years, from 0% financing and hefty cash rebates to employee-discount pricing programs. These can save you money, but it's important to remember that any deal is only as good as the car that's attached to it. Just because you can get a good discount doesn't mean you should buy the vehicle. After all, you'll be living with the vehicle for years, so make sure it's the right one for you. Thoroughly research any model you're considering and check our Ratings and reviews of competitive models (see our New-vehicle Ratings comparison, available to subscribers). You may find you can get a much better vehicle for not much more money. Also check the reliability of the model (see our Reliability Ratings, available to subscribers). Despite an attractive discount, a vehicle with subpar reliability--and the possibility of hefty depreciation--might not be much of a bargain in the long run. A related tip: Don't let a special incentive keep you from negotiating. Rebates and special financing are subsidized by the automaker, not the dealership. You should still negotiate the vehicle's price as if there were no incentive. There's no reason you shouldn't get the best price and the incentive, too.
I gotta admit im having issues with this one. Seems like sooo many great deals are out right now that its got me thinking.

I mean hell, even Audi is offering 0% for 72 months! 0.9% for 60 on BMW, 1.9% on Infiniti...etc..
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I gotta admit im having issues with this one. Seems like sooo many great deals are out right now that its got me thinking.

I mean hell, even Audi is offering 0% for 72 months! 0.9% for 60 on BMW, 1.9% on Infiniti...etc..

You should stop buying and leasing and stick to weekly rentals.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

I have never leased.

Normally my rule is to never get out of a loan if im going to be upside down on it. Which I would be if i traded in the Mazda3 since i put nothing down.

Only reason i was debating another car is because my old man wants to get a smaller car. He likes the mazda3 when he drove mine and now wants one. Either i sell him mine or he goes and gets one of his own.

I havent decided.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
your definitely giving it to him.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I have never leased.

Normally my rule is to never get out of a loan if im going to be upside down on it. Which I would be if i traded in the Mazda3 since i put nothing down.

Only reason i was debating another car is because my old man wants to get a smaller car. He likes the mazda3 when he drove mine and now wants one. Either i sell him mine or he goes and gets one of his own.

I havent decided.
If you don't give it to him you're nuts.

Worst case after that is YOU go get another one
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

I know, i can get get a hatch with 0% this time
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

it's ok....
I thought used ZSP...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I know, i can get get a hatch with 0% this time
GTI
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
0% for 72 months

I've vowed never to buy a new car but with a deal like that...

oh and I've always liked the Jesal approach.... e-mail multiple dealers saying "I want this color, these options, etc. for this price (or for the lowest price)... whoever can make it happen, I'll be in your showroom ASAP"
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yep. I love that.

I went to the Infinti dealer to drive a used 07 G35 they had. The sales guy was a total prick. Kept asking me if the car was for me or my dad.

I gotta admit that auto tranny with paddle shifters was a blast to drive. And no, im not buying it. Was just curious.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
I went to the Infinti dealer to drive a used 07 G35 they had. The sales guy was a total prick. Kept asking me if the car was for me or my dad.
Just tell them it's for your dad, because you had a 335i and have a NSX and don't need to get a slower car.

Car salespeople hate it when I mention also considering RX-8s and Caymans and my wife's preferences as I look at family sedans like the 335i, G35 and TL - it keeps the salespeople quiet while they try to figure out a sales approach for me (best sales tactic with me is to shut up while I test drive- ).
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Well, tomorrow we shall see if the Internet quote route pans out...