1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ndx2
Your TL (or mine for that matter) is on the same boat as the Genesis. Acura is like a shit brand to those who buy $50K+ BMW, Lexus, etc. But the TL is value-oriented, with pleasing looks and decent performance numbers... yet it still has tons of flaws - as much as I love my TL, I could list a whole bunch of stuff that's just not "upscale" enough to be called a "Luxury Car," hence why I call it entry-level lux/sport sedan. The TSX? It's even worse, with its sound insulation suitable enough for deaf people...yet these two cars have a price tag of 27 to 40k... and they both sell well.
Are you comparing the TL to the 5 series, E-Class, etc? Those are luxury cars. The G35, 3, CTS, etc are all entry-level luxury cars just like the TL. Apples to Apples, the TL is very competitive in its class.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
@ the last part. A stock LS1 F-Body will destroy anything this side of an SVT Cobra. You have no high ground to stand on to talk to me about muscle cars with balls, you drive a TL.

Yeah, in a straight line.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
If you read the thread, i'm obviously not the only one. Its just that anyone that DOES have an opposing viewpoint gets put on the spot. Starting from page one, there are others that feel the same way, get the fuck over it. If everyone had the same opinion, we'd all be driving the same cars. Anyways, enjoy.

Okay seriously. This is getting old.

Some people hate Hyundai, some people love it.

End story. Stop arguing over nothing people.
You're killing a perfectly good thread.
Oh and John, you should stop. Even if you do voice
your opinion, they're not gonna accept it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mansa24
Are you comparing the TL to the 5 series, E-Class, etc? Those are luxury cars. The G35, 3, CTS, etc are all entry-level luxury cars just like the TL. Apples to Apples, the TL is very competitive in its class.
true.

but he's not comparing a TL to the 5series, etc.

that's why he called the TL an "entry-level lux/sport sedan"

he's just pointing out that the TL/TSX are flawed (all cars are) but continue to sell well because they're priced well and are good looking cars - similar to what hyundai's doing.

we should just really end this thread.

it's really a shame because this was a thread that's not only informative and intriguing, but it's a thread that i've been looking forward to for awhile.

so if i had intentionally or unintentionally fanned the flames, i'm sorry.

but it sucks for someone who will want to buy this car or any hyundai and will have to read through multiple pages of bickering and threadcrapping to find decent information.

thanks, PA, for your insight. i, too, will be looking forward to your review and update on the coupe.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by AznX TL
mustang GT and 335i coupe have similar performance, don't know why it wouldn't also be a 335i fighter?
Similar performance and in the case of the GT350 same general pricing.

TOTALLY different cars though ... Plus all it takes is one drive in each to realize that the Ford simply is not in the same league as the BMW.

Ford is not marketing the Mustang as a value proposition against the 335i though either ...
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
...TOTALLY different cars though ...

I looked at the Mustang GT before getting my 3G TL (the 335 was not yet out), but only because I had the option of considering different types of cars. If overall performance was the only basis for buying a car, the S2000 is probably a better car than either the GT or the 335i anyway.

However, most people buy cars that are compromises of their preferences. People looking at the Genesis may or may not consider the 335i, 535, Avalon, etc. -- it'll likely be a viable option with certain compromises some people will favor and others won't.

Badge whores and hardcore fans are not a mainstream car company's target. It's the open-minded consumer that is the target for the conquest sale of a Genesis- those who consider the Bonneville, CTS, G8, Avalon, ES350, TL, RL, Lincoln, etc. as alternatives rather than those who would rather walk than drive anything other than an MB, Lexus or BMW. The more choices we consumers have, the better.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say, the Genesis is a great car. I worked at the Chicago Auto Show and have been in the automotive training industry for 6 years, and just have to say this Hyundai is the shit. I have not driven it, but looking at the cut-away of the engine, the interior, interior materials, fit and finish of the cars at the show, were all top, top notch. I know from a co-worker of mine who did some hyundai training, that they have some huge objectives and they have hit everyone so far. Hyundai are gonna be the next "Toyota/Lexus" within the next 10 years, mark mine and their words, and if they keep putting out products like they are, I believe they will make it.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Mansa24
Yeah, in a straight line.
Have you driven an SN95? They're easy to drive but they understeer badly in steady state cornering. Fixable with lift off and throttle steering, but thats not the point now is it? The new 05+ GT would keep up with an SS but it took them a whole new platform and generation to keep up with GM's now 40 year old F-Body.

I doubt my mom will even think twice about this Hyundai unless I show her a chopped version without a badge and told her it was the new Audi.... but its worth a try hearing all these good things. It would be great to have another competitor in the luxury market, it just means other car makers are going to have to step it up.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TodaSi
I have to say, the Genesis is a great car. I worked at the Chicago Auto Show and have been in the automotive training industry for 6 years, and just have to say this Hyundai is the shit. I have not driven it, but looking at the cut-away of the engine, the interior, interior materials, fit and finish of the cars at the show, were all top, top notch. I know from a co-worker of mine who did some hyundai training, that they have some huge objectives and they have hit everyone so far. Hyundai are gonna be the next "Toyota/Lexus" within the next 10 years, mark mine and their words, and if they keep putting out products like they are, I believe they will make it.
excellent avy by the way...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I work for a Hyundai dealership in the Minneapolis area and we're all really excited about the Genesis. We get a couple people a day coming in asking about it. I'm working the Minneapolis Auto Show this year and this should be my first chance to actually see it.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
It's not LS460 quality, by any means, but I would rate it pretty high among its competitors in the class.
One of my Korean friend drives a Azera Lmt and that thing is so smooth and she loves it .... better than Accord or Camry in her opinion ....

I don't know about compare it to Lexus ... at least not yet ...