1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the V8 should be around $35k.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
wow. i skipped 6 pages and you guys are still debating. but push that aside, anyone disappointed in the wheels they choose on this model? it looked wayyyy better in the SB commercial with he upgraded wheels.

these look a little cheap... like a korean g35 wheel
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
btw... was surprised to hear from a graduating senior from my high school.... at graduation he will be given around 30,000$ for a car, he choose the genesis - hes a surfer who wants to live in N. Zealand?

annnnnnd yesterday he got expelled
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
they always have crappy looking wheels. they always seem like they cheap out when it come to the design
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
WOW ... about 4 pages of this thread can be chopped since it has nothing to do with the car, but cross-arguing among AZ members.

Can't we all get along and talk about cars? (in a Rodney King voice)

I'm going to dis on Hyundai for one second ... the only reason why Hyundai can charge $50k for the Genesis in their home market is because they charge a huge tariff on non-Korean made cars ... I'm thinking it's around a 100% tariff. So if you wanted to buy a $28k TSX (since it's been mentioned so many times here in this thread), you'd be paying closer to $56k. And based upon the goods inside the Genesis ... that would be a no-brainer. And there's a huge patriotism in Korea to buy the local product. (It was like circa 1970 here in North America and 'buying domestic')

OK ... now that I've got that off my chest ... I think the modest exterior is non-offensive enough to get people into the showroom and see it for what it's worth. Rarely do pictures of a car and first-hand impression with your own eyes match 100%. If we can remove the badge on the grill and trunk ... see the car for what it is ... I think it is a fine looking car. And to people who have posted, "It took lines from [here] and [there]" ... that's a common practice in the auto industry, if you haven't noticed. And isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery? Just don't go out and copy verbatim a car (a la Chinese automakers).

I honestly think Hyundai is going to be a major force in the world car market. People laughed when Acura and Lexus came out in the late 80s ('jap crap') ... look at where we are today? (And look at the name of this web site, for crying out loud!) I would have told my dad to test drive this car when it comes out ... but he and my mom are such brand whores, it's not even funny! Oh well ... opportunity lost for them.

I bet if we did an experiment with 100 people on the street and flipped the Hyundai badge for BMW ... have them drive the car around ... they'd have no problems dropping $50k for this thing, based upon PA's short analysis. Sad to see how public impression can so easily be swayed by a symbol on the hood.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
I bet if we did an experiment with 100 people on the street and flipped the Hyundai badge for BMW ... have them drive the car around ... they'd have no problems dropping $50k for this thing, based upon PA's short analysis. Sad to see how public impression can so easily be swayed by a symbol on the hood.
^ Agreed. That's where Hyundai has to pay their due and keep at cultivating their brand name, just like Toyota and Honda did with their luxo brands.

10 years from now, we'll see.

Maybe by that time the new force in the market would be cars from PRC and India, who knows.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Talking Alright, bishes, quit moaning about Hyundai's past...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23390986/
And no Acuras are on the list, although the Accord remains, as do a couple of those el cheapo POS Lexus and Infiniti wanna-bes.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23390986/
And no Acuras are on the list, although the Accord remains, as do a couple of those el cheapo POS Lexus and Infiniti wanna-bes.
I was just about to post that.

Here's another article -- http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/28/e...icks-for-2008/

Announced of as 2:00 PM yesterday, the Elantra and the Santa Fe were named top picks by the Consumer Reports alongside the most recognized brands in the industry.

So it's a laugh that Walmart Gangsta is questioning the quality control process of Hyundai when he hasn't the slightest clue about Hyundai's QC process or QC processes in general.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

Announced of as 2:00 PM yesterday, the Elantra and the Santa Fe were named top picks by the Consumer Reports alongside the most recognized brands in the industry.

So it's a laugh that Walmart Gangsta is questioning the quality control process of Hyundai when he hasn't the slightest clue about Hyundai's QC process or QC processes in general.
It's not just him ... It's lack of perspective having grown up in an age where Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura are already established brands.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem to be a bit familiar with Hyundai QC process. Would it be possible for you to describe how they've been able to improve their quality so dramatically in recent years?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark
You seem to be a bit familiar with Hyundai QC process. Would it be possible for you to describe how they've been able to improve their quality so dramatically in recent years?
My guess would be the construction of a plant in Alabama.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
i thought you were talking about sega when i saw this.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can flip all the badges you want, when it comes down to it, nobody is going to pay more than $30k for a Hyundai...and thats being generous. As Charliemike said, many of us younger kids grew up when Acura,Infiniti, and Lexus were the major players for the Japanese upscale market, so I personally have not seen any of those companies grow. However, I do not believe Hyundai will grow as rapidly as the above trio if they stick to the Hyundai name. Flexus, or Flacura, or Finitie would all be very good examples for a new branch as they don't have a problem ripping off others design cues.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
nobody is going to pay more than $30k for a Hyundai
an AWD VeraCruz starts @ $30K

like i said before, not everybody is a brand whore. the genesis will be ~$35K, which is ~$25K < an E-class. people will buy it.

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

Last edited by sho_nuff1997; 02-29-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
i was gonna say that!

at JJaber06. i wonder how many said nobody would pay $30k for a toyota back in the days.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I remember people saying no one would pay $30k for a Honda not even 10 years ago (right before the S2000 came out).
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM

heck, it was even that long ago when people at buying a hyundai for $20k.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ exactly. i don't think this car will have a problem selling, at all.

i don't think hyundai cares if a few 19 year old know-it-alls won't buy it.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
The Designer

I think that is what the Genesis coupe is for, estimated starting low 20s.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Dragging knees in

You can flip all the badges you want, when it comes down to it, nobody is going to pay more than $30k for a Hyundai...and thats being generous. As Charliemike said, many of us younger kids grew up when Acura,Infiniti, and Lexus were the major players for the Japanese upscale market, so I personally have not seen any of those companies grow. However, I do not believe Hyundai will grow as rapidly as the above trio if they stick to the Hyundai name. Flexus, or Flacura, or Finitie would all be very good examples for a new branch as they don't have a problem ripping off others design cues.
Ha, thanks for the laugh. I needed that after dealing with two shit storms at work this morning.

I always quote Rick Wagoner (Chairman of GM) and when I hear statements like this. I believe it went something like "Hyundai is taking the playbook of the Japanese companies and doing it ten times faster."

And please don't talk like Hyundai is the only one "copying" off other companies' cues. Everybody does it; get real. It's called a design trend. You don't keep up with the trend, you fail as a business. Companies like Ferrari, Porsche and BMW can dare to be bold and SET the trend; after all, even if they are ugly people will still buy them just for the status symbol. Everybody else, be it GM, Ford, Chrysler, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Infiniti, your mainstream auto manufacturers that market to the Average Joe, has to follow the trend. They can't afford to be bold and set the trend. Remember the controversy when the original iteration of the current 7-series came out? Everybody said it was butt ugly, yet you started seeing one on every street corner. Soon after, others started utilizing the design cues on their own cars.

As for creating a new brand... sometimes, instead of creating something new out of thin air, it's better to build up on what you have. And what Hyundai has right now isn't too bad. There ARE people out there who recognize the progress Hyundai has made. By creating a new brand at this critical juncture, it might actually disconnect itself from that important demographic. You've gotta weigh the pros and cons.

Now I don't know what's going on inside Chairman M.K. Chung's head. But as a car guy, not as a Hyundai Team Member, my speculation is that Hyundai is testing the waters with the Genesis, Veracruz and the Genesis Coupe. The success of the first generation of these 3 models may dictate the future of a premium brand. After all, Hyundai has always said it wanted 3 models to start off a new premium brand. But that's just my own speculation.

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 02-29-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
The Designer

Since you drove it do you have any specs on the MPG numbers of the Genesis Sedan? I'm more curious about the 6cycli than the 8.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM

http://www.detnews.com/2005/specialr...A01-182019.htm

it's a long article, so i don't want to copy/paste it.

but you may want to read it, JJaber.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, I forgot to mention in my last post.

Hyundai Kia Motor Group is already bigger than Honda and Nissan. Only Toyota is bigger than HKMG among the competitors hailing from Japan. So what was that about how Hyundai won't grow as rapidly as them?? They already are bigger than two of the three.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:25 PM

didn't the toyota chairman recently call hyundai a strong enemy?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by sipark
Simple answer -- identify weaknesses, focus all of your efforts to bring them up with clear and decisive direction and guidance from the top management, and hire the right people and put them in the right place... all with a global perspective.

When Chairman M.K. Chung became the top dog, he put quality as the number one priority. I really don't think we would be where we are today without him.

Our Alabama plant boasts world class manufacturing operation, but it is a sister plant to the Asan facility in Korea. So it's not just Alabama. All global Hyundai manufacturing plants are world class facilities. We have plants and are building plants in Asia, Europe, North America and South America, and have R&D facilities in almost all places considered to be the mecca of the global auto industry including Japan, U.S., Germany, etc. This is just Hyundai and Kia. We have countless Korean suppliers and supplier affiliate companies who have also brought up their quality standards. We can do a great job putting the parts together at OEM level, but it won't mean jack if the supplied parts don't live up to the standards.

Hyundai Kia Motor Group is larger than Nissan and Honda on a global scale. Toyota is the only bigger company among the competitions hailing from Japan. Besides the auto industry, Hyundai is involved in many different industries including shipbuilding, construction, heavy machinery, financial services, high-speed trains and rails, steel manufacturing, satellite telematics, IT, sports, etc.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Besides the auto industry, Hyundai is involved in many different industries including shipbuilding, construction, heavy machinery, financial services, high-speed trains and rails, steel manufacturing, satellite telematics, IT, sports, etc.
to say the least.

all of my cousins work for either hyundai or samsung. and they all do different things for different industries/sectors.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I'm still waiting Hyundai to make the car that would force me to start wanting to buy it. The Genesis series won't be it. Even GM has done that with the new CTS and Enclave and G8.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Eight pages, six of which are moaning about Hyundai trying to compete with Tier 1 luxury companies and/or being crappy cars. WTF? This BS discussion (which has been carried in numerous other threads) has nothing to do with PA's review or the car itself. If you want to discuss the company Hyundai, do it elsewhere. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to sift through BS comments that have nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread to get to the good stuff.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I know Im pretty young and didnt see honda or toyota come up from being a "bad" name. But my parents were given an early 90's sonata back when we were tight on money. the thing was a total piece of shit, i mean totally. I compare that sonata to the new sonata and wow does that thing look good, ive been in santa fes and those are actually really nice to. I really dont understand why people just cant accept that Hyundai has become a better brand
Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Eight pages, six of which are moaning about Hyundai trying to compete with Tier 1 luxury companies and/or being crappy cars. WTF? This BS discussion (which has been carried in numerous other threads) has nothing to do with PA's review or the car itself. If you want to discuss the company Hyundai, do it elsewhere. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to sift through BS comments that have nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread to get to the good stuff.
true.

might as well just update the thread title to:

"1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States (Post 1 is all you need to read)"
Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
true.

might as well just update the thread title to:

"1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States (Post 1 is all you need to read)"
Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,603 Likes on 5,377 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
you're right. this sort of thing just never happens anywhere else, in any other threads, ever, period. all threads remain 100% on course for the entire duration of their existence.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997

like i said before, not everybody is a brand whore. the genesis will be ~$35K, which is ~$25K < an E-class. people will buy it.

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

You're right, not everybody is a badge whore. I think thats part of the reason why Hyundai has been so successful, they don't have the image that comes with most of the other car companies and offer extremely affordable cars. I still think they need an upscale name change though...

I believe Honda,Nissan, and Toyota came in and DEMANDED everyones respect by putting out some amazing cars. I mean i'm talking the Supras, NSX, Skyline, Z,240s, ITR, S2000,Soarer and so many more. These cars started up an entire new "tuner world" and IMO, revolutionized the auto industry. I think thats one reason why i'll have so much respect for them.

I don't really see any history behind Hyundai though...I'll always see them as pretty crappy run of the mill cars, as i'm sure many others on this site will agree...they're just scared of being attacked for having an opposing opinion. Want to preform your own experiment? I.M. everyone on your buddylist and tell them you traded in your xxxx for a Hyundai. Here, i'll do a couple...I just copied and pasted this

yo i traded in the TL for the new luxury hyundai

to three different people....here are the results...

: LOL
: yeh right
: id shoot you
--------------
: um...ew
: i guess im driving when we go out
-------------
: wait what? joking right?
-------------
Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I believe Honda,Nissan, and Toyota came in and DEMANDED everyones respect by putting out some amazing cars. I mean i'm talking the Supras, NSX, Skyline, Z,240s, ITR, S2000,Soarer and so many more.
You're so funny. You're also too young to remember the first cars Honda, Nissan, and Toyota sold in the US. With the exception of the 240, none of those were on the list, but a bunch of little $hit boxes were, though. Over many years (read 70's -> 80's -> 90's), these companies changed into what they are today. No car company comes out of the gate swinging, and Hyundai's no different. The difference is they changed much faster than the Japanese companies did, and are continuing to evolve.

Originally Posted by srika
you're right. this sort of thing just never happens anywhere else, in any other threads, ever, period. all threads remain 100% on course for the entire duration of their existence.
Never claimed that, simply claimed it gets old reading the same old tired argument between the same people. Does it really need to be rehashed over hundreds of posts in every thread (in this case, Hyundai-related threads)?

And yes, what I wrote in response to JJaber helps the situation .
Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't really see any history behind Hyundai though...I'll always see them as pretty crappy run of the mill cars, as i'm sure many others on this site will agree...they're just scared of being attacked for having an opposing opinion. Want to preform your own experiment? I.M. everyone on your buddylist and tell them you traded in your xxxx for a Hyundai. Here, i'll do a couple...I just copied and pasted this

--------------
-------------
-------------
So the point of this experiment is that your buddies are as closed minded as you?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 PM

You're right, not everybody is a badge whore. I think thats part of the reason why Hyundai has been so successful, they don't have the image that comes with most of the other car companies and offer extremely affordable cars. I still think they need an upscale name change though...

I believe Honda,Nissan, and Toyota came in and DEMANDED everyones respect by putting out some amazing cars. I mean i'm talking the Supras, NSX, Skyline, Z,240s, ITR, S2000,Soarer and so many more. These cars started up an entire new "tuner world" and IMO, revolutionized the auto industry. I think thats one reason why i'll have so much respect for them.

I don't really see any history behind Hyundai though...
I'll always see them as pretty crappy run of the mill cars, as i'm sure many others on this site will agree...they're just scared of being attacked for having an opposing opinion. Want to preform your own experiment? I.M. everyone on your buddylist and tell them you traded in your xxxx for a Hyundai. Here, i'll do a couple...I just copied and pasted this

--------------
-------------
-------------
As Charliemike said, many of us younger kids grew up when Acura,Infiniti, and Lexus were the major players for the Japanese upscale market, so I personally have not seen any of those companies grow.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Jjaber06 is a funny kid.
Oops, did I put that in a red text??? lol
Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
I can even go as far back as the S600...If you couldn't tell the cars I listed were from the 90's....I'm talking 70's and 80's.

What are people going to be looking at 10 years from now when they reflect on Hyundais?

"Man, remember when the Accent got A/C as a standard option"

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
So the point of this experiment is that your buddies are as closed minded as you?
I take it you dont get out much

Last edited by FiveLiterCheater; 02-29-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
I can even go as far back as the S600...If you couldn't tell the cars I listed were from the 90's....I'm talking 70's and 80's.

What are people going to be looking at 10 years from now when they reflect on Hyundais?

"Man, remember when the Accent got A/C as a standard option"
I think it's funny how you talk about Honda, Toyota and Nissan and their "amazing cars" yet you're trying to compare those with the entry level econo-box Accent. I will tell you this though... not even ten years from now, more like right now, I reflect back upon my Acura and I say "Man, remember when the CL dropped it's first automatic tranny and then the replacement felt just as shitty as the original slush box." Even your fav brand has made some crappy decisions along the way, bud. You're not being fair or equal in the comparison.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I think it's funny how you talk about Honda, Toyota and Nissan and their "amazing cars" yet you're trying to compare those with the entry level econo-box Accent. I will tell you this though... not even ten years from now, more like right now, I reflect back upon my Acura and I say "Man, remember when the CL dropped it's first automatic tranny and then the replacement felt just as shitty as the original slush box." Even your fav brand has made some crappy decisions along the way, bud. You're not being fair or equal in the comparison.
Yeah, but Honda,Toyota, and Nissan established themselves somewhat before they jumped into the luxury segment. I guess you can say that about Hyundai, but I can't see that car being very successful under the Hyundai name. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan all introduced new names for the American market for a reason... You can deny it all you want, but people still won't pay $85,000 for a Toyota LS460, throw the "L" on there and its justified. I won't be surprised if Hyundai introduces a luxury branch in the future.

Quick Reply: 1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...