1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Sure, I see your and JMT's point. All I'm saying is that everything in the Hyundai lineup dosent appeal to me at all
I'm saying the same thing about acura now... nothing in the lineup appeals to me, but at least with Hyundai, there's a rwd coupe coming to market soon.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
A good car is a good car. Just because I don't like what a brand represents doesn't mean I won't consider their cars. Lately, I've taken a serious look at a BMW and a Lexus, both brands that I not hold in particularly high regard for various reasons. But logic dictates that if they have a car that meets my criteria, the least I can do is drive it and give it a chance to prove itself.

Quite honestly, my recent drive of the IS250 was pretty impressive in some respects but not other. Will I be buying it? Most likely not. But at least I have driven it.

Same with the 3-series. I hate the way they look, but damned if I'm going to allow that to get in the way of me driving one to at least get a feel for it.

Disliking the badge is one thing, pissing all over a car that you haven't even seen in person seems a tad pre-mature, don't you think? Hell, as much as I dislike what I know thus far about the 09 TSX, even I haven't completely written it off as a potential next car.
Have you actually been in the 09 TSX thread? Its a feeding frenzy of dismissal, and rightfully so.

I guess I'll never understand how someone can drive a car who "hates the way they look". Makes absolutely no sense to me...
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I'm saying the same thing about acura now... nothing in the lineup appeals to me, but at least with Hyundai, there's a rwd coupe coming to market soon.
Ok, so I guess now would be the time to tell you you're completely crazy and an idiot for thinking this way? It's basically what I'm getting in here
Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Guys; by no means, I'm not asking you to expect a Hyundai LS460 at the price of a few thousand more than an Azera.

All I'm saying is that it'll be a very competitive and viable choice in the 30k+ group that is worth a serious look. Please check it out once it's available and form your own opinion. All I'm doing is offering a sneak peak and a review/preview before you have a chance to do so.
thanks. does everyone forget that toyota was in the same shoes in the 80's just like hyundai is now??
granted i would still not buy one yet but sometimes, just sometimes these designs work. even though they take from other companies.

i think if they came out with their own luxury design, they may have a bit more success
Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
thanks. does everyone forget that toyota was in the same shoes in the 80's just like hyundai is now??
granted i would still not buy one yet but sometimes, just sometimes these designs work. even though they take from other companies.

i think if they came out with their own luxury design, they may have a bit more success
I agree, but I don't think they are not quite ready to ranch their own luxury brand yet, even though they have the power to do so. I think Hyundai's reputation in US hasn't quite reached to point where they can create their luxury brand to be successful. I strongly think that they would be ready in 3-5 years. What you think?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
registered pw

i had a 1989 hyundai excel back in 1993. i paid $800 for it. it was a pos.

i learned how to change a clutch in 2 hours in that thing. i started to go through clutch cables every 2 weeks for 2 or 3 months.

from that experience i am leary of them, but am willing to test drive them later down the road
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish they brought over KDM Genesis to auto shows... at least they can show others what Hyundai is capable of building.. some of the options available are pretty crazy to think it's from Hyundai...
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison

I agree, it's a reason why Mazda is still stuck in mainstream-land despite their recent run of imo pretty nice cars in their respective classes. Many people have forgotten, they nixed their attempt at luxo-land with the Millenia which was supposted to launch their Amati luxury nameplate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Millenia

If Hyundai is truly serious about taking their game to the next level, they will need to differentiate with a more lux-sounding brand. But, they are already a step ahead in the product area with f/r platforms than Honda is.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
can't wait for the people who are gonna be mad KDM yo
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
the looks of a car grow on a person, even if you don't like the looks. discounting a car solely on it's looks, is silly.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally admire where Hyundai is going with this car- They are doing pretty much what attracted me to Acura in the first place- give me a good looking, well built car with a long list of admenities, at a cut rate price. Difference here is that Hyundai seems to have the longer term vision and a solid strategy sorely lacking by Acura

PA- how are they to work for? (I am very intrigued by this company...)
Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
To kind of reiterate - what did Toyota and Honda do to become real players in the luxury market? Why did they do that?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by srika
To kind of reiterate - what did Toyota and Honda do to become real players in the luxury market? Why did they do that?
they started to create a better quality product. they started to see that the domestics were creating cars with poor reliability and improved on theirs.

they obviously created lexus and acura to become luxury or near luxury players
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

well I think Hyundai should seriously consider doing the same thing. Yes, the name means a LOT!!! More than many people would like to admit. The NAME alone can oftentimes be a dealbreaker! Yes we live in a quite shallow and artificial society.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM

well I think Hyundai should seriously consider doing the same thing. Yes, the name means a LOT!!! More than many people would like to admit. The NAME alone can oftentimes be a dealbreaker! Yes we live in a quite shallow and artificial society.
i think the name will only be a dealbreaker in the eyes of BMW, MB, Infiniti, and Lexus owners.
if people can get a $35K luxury car which compares to the latter, then the name won't mean much.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

good point - in terms of price, this situation is not comparable to what Honda and Toyota did with their luxury brands.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
The Designer

My opinion: Love the photos seen of the Genesis at the car show, this one not so much but that's more to due with it being a beater.

I think most of the small things will be fixed in time for the production model (steering wheel, more wheel choices (especially on the higher end version, and different grill). I seriously hope they use the sans logo grill that was shown, makes it look much classier. The color of the car doesn't help much either, being bland ubiquitous silver.

In regards to the competition I've said this before but their competitors are NOT the Lexus LS and the BMW 5 series. They only compare themselves to those cars to show that you can get the same overall package in a 30K car, so people buying Accords, Camrys, Malibus, etc will see a car with better styling and a better package and buy the Genesis instead. People who buy Lexus LS and BMW 5 series typically are older, successful individuals who have already upgraded in the past and can afford the cars they are driving, they don't have a reason to downgrade, especially when you are used to Lexus service which is some of the best in the industry.

I'm sure the final version will look great, I personally can't wait to see it. I can't say that I would buy one but that has to do more with the size of it, it might be a bit too large of a car for me.

I will take Hyundai to come out with this Genesis and the Genesis coupe and a few other products that will be successful in order to break the brand recognition. Too many people still remember the 1991 Hyundai Excel and the bland styling in the 1990s.

Last edited by BadBadNeil; 02-27-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM

i'm not sure what did with the pics of the sedan, but here is the coupe

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
^ not that I'm super up to date with what's going on in the industry... but Acura better take a long hard look at that.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
i think the name will only be a dealbreaker in the eyes of BMW, MB, Infiniti, and Lexus owners.
if people can get a $35K luxury car which compares to the latter, then the name won't mean much.
i don't know about you but i'd take a MB c230 over the genesis just because of the name. most people don't buy luxury cars for use, most buy because of name and value of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I really, really like the new Genesis and Genesis Coupe, they are both great looking cars, neither of which I wouldn't own if I had the money.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by AznX TL
i don't know about you but i'd take a MB c230 over the genesis just because of the name. most people don't buy luxury cars for use, most buy because of name and value of it.
exactly my point. if you can't afford an MB, but can afford a comparable hyundai or if you want to buy a luxury car for the value of it, as you stated, hyundai wins.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
I really, really like the new Genesis and Genesis Coupe, they are both great looking cars, neither of which I wouldn't own if I had the money.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Very poorly worded on my part If I was in the market, and had the money, both of these cars would get a long, hard look. I do like the coupe a little better though.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
^ not that I'm super up to date with what's going on in the industry... but Acura better take a long hard look at that.

That coupe looks amazing.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
where is....

exactly my point. if you can't afford an MB, but can afford a comparable hyundai or if you want to buy a luxury car for the value of it, as you stated, hyundai wins.
by value i didn't mean best bang for you buck
but yeah ill admit im a brand whore, but so is most of the earth's population. i mean picture someone starting off with a good paying job and wants to go out and buy a luxury car in the 35k price range. with the lexus IS350, mercedes c230, bmw 328xi or a hyundai genesis which one is most likely going to be chosen by the consumer?
but ill admit the genesis is a nice car, i personally think the interior is the best part of the car because i don't really like the exterior.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM

but yeah ill admit im a brand whore, but so is most of the earth's population. i mean picture someone starting off with a good paying job and wants to go out and buy a luxury car in the 35k price range. with the lexus IS350, mercedes c230, bmw 328xi or a hyundai genesis which one is most likely going to be chosen by the consumer?
but ill admit the genesis is a nice car, i personally think the interior is the best part of the car because i don't really like the exterior.
i see what you are saying, however the genesis is comparable to an E-class or a GS. if you could get a car with similar features for $20K less, wouldn't you?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
You are not their demographic! Jeebus
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
where is....

i see what you are saying, however the genesis is comparable to an E-class or a GS. if you could get a car with similar features for $20K less, wouldn't you?
if i had money for either one and could save 20k, or even more because of insurance................i still wouldn't buy one
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Toyota created a LS400 and dumped it on the market to create market share. They took a Camry and tarted it up and called it the ES250.

With the exception of Joe (who I think is just a troll) the younger guys who hate Hyundai or the Genesis are just too young to remember what the American automotive landscape was like when Lexus first went on sale.

The LS 400 introduced the Lexus nameplate to the U.S. and worldwide markets, and won critical acclaim from the press. Wheels magazine named the LS 400 its Car of the Year and Car and Driver magazine named it to its Ten Best list for 1990. In 1989 comparison tests, Automobile Magazine and Car and Driver both rated the LS 400 as the best flagship luxury sedan over competing models ranging from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, and Mercedes-Benz.
$35,000 when it hit the dealers in late 1989 ... Back then a Mercedes 500 SEL would be somewhere between $65-75k.
We shouldn't be so quick to hate on Hyundai. At the time, Toyota wasn't known for anything but cheap, reliable cars that had doors that would rattle when you closed them.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Have you actually been in the 09 TSX thread? Its a feeding frenzy of dismissal, and rightfully so.

I guess I'll never understand how someone can drive a car who "hates the way they look". Makes absolutely no sense to me...
There difference is that the 2009 TSX is a step back in nearly every department, though the interior is arguable. It has the fugly grill, clashing, angular lines, and a drop in power. What IS there to like... what DOESN'T make sense? Maybe... no one likes the way the new TSX looks? Have you seen the 2009 RL thread?

The Hyundai Genesis is a huge advancement in every department over any previous Hyundai. Immense power at your foot's command, luxurious interior, good looks on the outside (IMO).

Even the Genesis coupe has me more excited than ANYTHING in the current Acura line-up, and maybe even their upcoming line-up. That includes the NSX too... mainly because the next NSX will never be produced, just rumors floating around like hollow turds, mainly used to entice interest in the Acura brand.

Acura's new motto should be: "Acura. Retard." (opposite of Advance for the slow ones)
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i see your point.

but the example makes no sense.

you'd think that most people that are starting off with a good paying job are young professionals that don't necessarily need a larger family sedan like the genesis. different demographics.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
The Designer

Originally Posted by charliemike
Toyota created a LS400 and dumped it on the market to create market share. They took a Camry and tarted it up and called it the ES250.

With the exception of Joe (who I think is just a troll) the younger guys who hate Hyundai or the Genesis are just too young to remember what the American automotive landscape was like when Lexus first went on sale.

$35,000 when it hit the dealers in late 1989 ... Back then a Mercedes 500 SEL would be somewhere between $65-75k.
We shouldn't be so quick to hate on Hyundai. At the time, Toyota wasn't known for anything but cheap, reliable cars that had doors that would rattle when you closed them.
So in 12 years a Hyundai Genesis will probably be $70K then like the LS
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
So in 12 years a Hyundai Genesis will probably be $70K then like the LS
possibly. or whatever luxury brand hyundai makes in the meantime.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
There difference is that the 2009 TSX is a step back in nearly every department, though the interior is arguable. It has the fugly grill, clashing, angular lines, and a drop in power. What IS there to like... what DOESN'T make sense? Maybe... no one likes the way the new TSX looks? Have you seen the 2009 RL thread?

The Hyundai Genesis is a huge advancement in every department over any previous Hyundai. Immense power at your foot's command, luxurious interior, good looks on the outside (IMO).

Even the Genesis coupe has me more excited than ANYTHING in the current Acura line-up, and maybe even their upcoming line-up. That includes the NSX too... mainly because the next NSX will never be produced, just rumors floating around like hollow turds, mainly used to entice interest in the Acura brand.

Acura's new motto should be: "Acura. Retard." (opposite of Advance for the slow ones)
Ritardando [ retard is the bastardized American version ] means slow anyway.

On a more important note, you pretty much hit it right on point. Acura's '09 lineup will be a flop, while it looks like a bottom-rung brand will actually surpass Honda's "luxury" lineup in almost every way.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
possibly. or whatever luxury brand hyundai makes in the meantime.
Lexus kept taking a beating over the years about "it's just a toyota". But they kept coming out with top notch products time after time and stuck thru it. They are now a legit luxury player. You give a great product and are consistent with it and mindsets change.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
You are not their demographic! Jeebus

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Loseit
Lexus kept taking a beating over the years about "it's just a toyota". But they kept coming out with top notch products time after time and stuck thru it. They are now a legit luxury player. You give a great product and are consistent with it and mindsets change.

Lexus didn't become Lexus overnight.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Its amazing to me that every one of these new Hyundai threads ends up 20 pages long. People that don't like it go more out of their way to post about it (**cough** Joe) then those who are impressed by it. I personally am more interested in the coupe later this year but I like this sedan too. The interior is a bit disappointing but outside it looks pretty good. Honestly the specifications will be the real seller. 380 hp V8, RWD, $30k range; it will definitely sell......
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Will the V8 version really be ~30k?

Quick Reply: 1 of the 3 Genesis in the United States...