07 TL-S 3.5 cams in the 3.2 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:03 AM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 TL-S 3.5 cams in the 3.2 heads?

I know someone already tried the RL cams and they were too long I believe, but how about the new TL cams, I even read on Acuras website that these cams are hollow just like the Evos cams

part numbers for these cams are different then those of the RL but I wonder what the specs are They seems relatively cheap too since the RL cams are $250 a piece.

www.acuraoemparts.com

001 14100-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, FR. 2007 TL $177.35 $141.88
002 14200-RDB-A00 CAMSHAFT, RR. 2007 TL $177.35 $141.88

Last edited by Accord_V6_400m; 12-26-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:32 AM

More info

From www.hondanews.com
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...58678&mime=asc

Originally Posted by Honda News
VTEC(R) (VARIABLE VALVE TIMING & LIFT ELECTRONIC CONTROL)

Acura's VTEC(R) (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) gives the TL and TL Type-S engines strong low speed torque and throttle response while enhancing high-rpm power.

At low speeds, the intake valves have lower lift and are open a comparatively short period of time during cylinder filling. At high rpm where breathing is critical, the valves switch to high-lift, long duration mode to deliver the best volumetric efficiency possible.

Both engines continue to use the 3-rocker VTEC system, which allows each of a given cylinder's intake valves to be controlled by its own low-speed cam lobe. (By comparison, with 2-rocker VTEC, both intake valves in a given cylinder are controlled by a single low-speed cam lobe). With different low-speed cam profiles for each intake valve, 3-rocker VTEC allows for staggered valve opening and lift, which promotes swirl in the combustion chambers, thereby improving efficiency. With better mixing in the cylinders, burn speed and combustion stability are improved.

When engine rpm reaches 4700 rpm (4950 rpm in the TL Type-S), the powertrain control module (PCM) triggers the opening of an electric spool valve that routes pressurized oil to small pistons in the intake valve rocker arms. These pistons slide into position to lock together the three intake rockers in each cylinder, which then follow a single high-lift, long-duration cam lobes. With the engine's intake valve lift and opening duration continuously adjusted to suit the operating engine speed, the TL benefits with a broad torque curve and superior peak power. The two engines feature different cam profiles, with the Type-S sharing the same higher lift and longer duration.
So apparently the VTEC lobes are the same as the non type S which I assume are already similar to our 3.0/3.2 cams that came out in the earlier models. However the cams are hollow which should be a nice bonus for those wanting to reduce rotational mass especially in the valvetrain.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i think u would prob get better responses in the TL boards...
Old 12-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Ford was using hollow cams 8 model years ago in the 2000 SVT Contour, and perhaps even as early as '98 for the same machine. So this is not new technology by a long shot. And the SVT Contour had beehive valve springs as well. Only thing it didn't have was a form of VTEC.. which would have been nice.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Ford was using hollow cams 8 model years ago in the 2000 SVT Contour, and perhaps even as early as '98 for the same machine. So this is not new technology by a long shot. And the SVT Contour had beehive valve springs as well. Only thing it didn't have was a form of VTEC.. which would have been nice.

Alright...

Didn't ask for a history lesson nor did I say we were the first or second ones to do this just that it could be a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony3 (07-19-2012)
Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m

Alright...

Didn't ask for a history lesson nor did I say we were the first or second ones to do this just that it could be a good idea.
Was that necessary? If you didn't find SouthernBoy's response necessary, then just don't say anything. I'm sure you'll garner a lot of positive responses if you act like this in the future.

Anyway, if the RL cams are too long, wouldn't the TL-S cams be too long also? IIRC they're the same engine, save for the different exhaust system.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think that the cam would be longer since the block is based off the rl's block. My question is how much power could the cam upgrade give without anyt tuning. Or can the engine compensate for such a small bump in duration and lift.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigman
I would think that the cam would be longer since the block is based off the rl's block. My question is how much power could the cam upgrade give without anyt tuning. Or can the engine compensate for such a small bump in duration and lift.
Not sure, the high end is supposedly the same as the 3.2 TL but they are hollow. As for the length I think CleanCL was working on fitting the RL cams in other applications and he might now something about this.

You could stand to gain some low end from these and reduce reciprocating mass, that is if it fits
Old 12-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Was that necessary? If you didn't find SouthernBoy's response necessary, then just don't say anything. I'm sure you'll garner a lot of positive responses if you act like this in the future.

Anyway, if the RL cams are too long, wouldn't the TL-S cams be too long also? IIRC they're the same engine, save for the different exhaust system.
Guess I'm not the only one who had a frustrating day
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i am intrigued by the cam swapping idea but i doubt there would be enough benefit without swapping the whole crankshaft.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by sbuswell
i am intrigued by the cam swapping idea but i doubt there would be enough benefit without swapping the whole crankshaft.
Is that to say you don't believe the low end will benefit from the cams unless we stroke our motors out to a 3.5? If so, then I can agree with that to a certain extent since I am as of yet unsure of what the specs are on the 3.5 cams.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ford was also using the hollow cams in their late model taurus SHO {3rd gen SHO, from 1995 or 1996 (can't remember which it was now) to 1999 when they finally killed it}. they had NOTORIOUS problems with the cams snapping and spliiting in the SHO V8. i wonder if they ever fixed it. regardless, i'm sure the acura cams will be much better.

Accord_V6_400m - as you mentioned, using the RL cams had been tried and much more was involved than just swapping the cams. to see if these are just a dead swap you will probably need to find out if any of the other part numbers in the valvetrain match the tl part numbers. if not then they are most likely all RL parts and it wouldn't be a direct swap. this is just an initial guess though.

SSTS
Old 12-28-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
ford was also using the hollow cams in their late model taurus SHO {3rd gen SHO, from 1995 or 1996 (can't remember which it was now) to 1999 when they finally killed it}. they had NOTORIOUS problems with the cams snapping and spliiting in the SHO V8. i wonder if they ever fixed it. regardless, i'm sure the acura cams will be much better.

Accord_V6_400m - as you mentioned, using the RL cams had been tried and much more was involved than just swapping the cams. to see if these are just a dead swap you will probably need to find out if any of the other part numbers in the valvetrain match the tl part numbers. if not then they are most likely all RL parts and it wouldn't be a direct swap. this is just an initial guess though.

SSTS
Just checked out the part numbers for all the TL's and all of the other parts are the same! Only the cams are different

Sadly this is only a dead swap for the 04+ TL everything else uses wider pulleys and belts. The only other car that matches the part numbers are the 7th gen. Honda Accords.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Just checked out the part numbers for all the TL's and all of the other parts are the same! Only the cams are different

Sadly this is only a dead swap for the 04+ TL everything else uses wider pulleys and belts. The only other car that matches the part numbers are the 7th gen. Honda Accords.
well, i guess that it's a start. anyone who does the 3.5L upgrade for their 2nd gen has something to look forward to

SSTS
Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
well, i guess that it's a start. anyone who does the 3.5L upgrade for their 2nd gen has something to look forward to

SSTS
Only if they change blocks and dont reuse the Stock 2nd gen motor.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Alright...

Not a history lesson, friend.. just a point of interest. All manufacturers at one time or another come out with some great ideas that make there way into production machines. These ideas most frequently come from racing technology.

The 2000 SVT Contour was a peice of work with some outstanding components. I think Ford tends to be one of the better innovators when it comes to putting magic into street machines.

This in no way takes away from the Acura TL. The only real fault I see with the engine is the fact that Honda can't seem to pull itself away from belt-driven cams and interference engines. This is not rocket science and is not the best way to go.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

SSTS
I didn't know that Ford was putting a V8 in the SHO. I thought it was mostly the Yamaha V6 they were using. I work with some who owns an earlier 90's SHO.. I'll check with him. He says they used 9" clutches in the SHO. That doesn't sound so good.

All manufacturers at some time, use some part(s) that cause problems and leave a lot to be desired. Remember the mid-80's small block 305 CID Chevy engines used in the SS coupe and the camshaft problems with that engine? The lobes were getting worn significantly in less than 40,000 miles.. something that just should not happen.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Question. Does anyone know if the '07 TL-S heads will bolt on to the TL engine block? Also, do the heads on the '07 TL-S preclude the use of headers like the '04-'07 TL engine does?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM

Question. Does anyone know if the '07 TL-S heads will bolt on to the TL engine block? Also, do the heads on the '07 TL-S preclude the use of headers like the '04-'07 TL engine does?
The heads bolt up t a J35A4 from what I've learned in someone elses swap thread, as for the J32 blocks not sure.

Yep you'll have to use the close coupled pre cat header.

Already have a 7th gen Accord trying this out on vperformance.net so hopefully we'll get his impressions soon.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:02 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

The difference between the type s torque and the regular is mostly due to the displacement being bumped up on the type s. The cams will probably help with off line feel and throttle response, but i think the work involved with putting them in is not worth the minimal gain.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:06 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Not a history lesson, friend.. just a point of interest. All manufacturers at one time or another come out with some great ideas that make there way into production machines. These ideas most frequently come from racing technology.

The 2000 SVT Contour was a peice of work with some outstanding components. I think Ford tends to be one of the better innovators when it comes to putting magic into street machines.

This in no way takes away from the Acura TL. The only real fault I see with the engine is the fact that Honda can't seem to pull itself away from belt-driven cams and interference engines. This is not rocket science and is not the best way to go.
I had an SVT Contour before i got the TL in 99. I loved the SVT more than the TL. It was cheaply made, but the little touches that made the SVT stand out and the rarity made me love it. Not to mention it was stick and oh so fun to drive. With full bolt ons and a 100 shot, i was running mid 12's and could out handle many a rear driver in the twisties.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM

The difference between the type s torque and the regular is mostly due to the displacement being bumped up on the type s. The cams will probably help with off line feel and throttle response, but i think the work involved with putting them in is not worth the minimal gain.
Natuarally, however don't forget that for some the appeal of hollow cams and reducing valvetrain mass is very inticing.

Anyway we'll see how they work in a 3.0V6 within a few weeks.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Only if they change blocks and dont reuse the Stock 2nd gen motor.
yeah true. i forgot that little fact.

SouthernBoy - yeah ford was using their own v8 in the SHO for the 3rd gen models for 96 through 99. (circa the "bubble design" taurus). that's why they sucked. the 89 through 95 SHOs had the yamaha v6s in them. fantastic engines those were. tell your friend to check out shoforum.com if he hasn't allready. there are alot of smart people over there. god knows he'll need them if he has as many problems with his SHO as i had.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Natuarally, however don't forget that for some the appeal of hollow cams and reducing valvetrain mass is very inticing.

Anyway we'll see how they work in a 3.0V6 within a few weeks.
I think some head work, and larger valves would benefit the 3.2 more then the hollow cams.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

I think some head work, and larger valves would benefit the 3.2 more then the hollow cams.
say, do any of you guys remember the top secret intake manifold mod they used to talk about on here got dumped? can't remember the name of it. for some reason this just conjured up memories. too bad it didn't work out.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

I had an SVT Contour before i got the TL in 99. I loved the SVT more than the TL. It was cheaply made, but the little touches that made the SVT stand out and the rarity made me love it. Not to mention it was stick and oh so fun to drive. With full bolt ons and a 100 shot, i was running mid 12's and could out handle many a rear driver in the twisties.
I had a 2000 SVT Contour.. #379 out of 2150 for the model year. The one nagging problem was a throttle hang "feature". Seems the software was developed to hold the throttle open during shifts, sometimes raising the RPMs as much as 1000 between upshifts. Obviously, you don't want to be engaging the clutch in the next higher gear with this going on. The purpose for this "feature" was to burn off residual (or pudding) fuel in the intake manifold. So what a lot of us were doing was to insert a plug with a 7/32" hole in the air bypass tube. This would work fine for a few days until the ECU decided to idle the engine at 1600 RPM to compensate.

Other that this "feature" the car was incredible to drive. A .92g 200 skid pad in box stock condition is nothing to sneeze at.. especially with a front driver.

So you were running mid 12's with a 100 shot. Were you ever concerned about cooking your valves?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

yeah true. i forgot that little fact.

SouthernBoy - yeah ford was using their own v8 in the SHO for the 3rd gen models for 96 through 99. (circa the "bubble design" taurus). that's why they sucked. the 89 through 95 SHOs had the yamaha v6s in them. fantastic engines those were. tell your friend to check out shoforum.com if he hasn't allready. there are alot of smart people over there. god knows he'll need them if he has as many problems with his SHO as i had.
I think the only problems he's had have been clutch (he doesn't operate one like I do) and his A/C compressor. He has an after-market exhaust.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:09 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

I think the only problems he's had have been clutch (he doesn't operate one like I do) and his A/C compressor. He has an after-market exhaust.
yeah my A/C compressor was crap. replaced it twice. the third time it seized, burning up my accessory belt leaving me stranded 6am on a january morning when it was zero degrees out. that day i bought my TL