05 G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:44 PM
My name is RL.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdFusionTL
And there is the truth..

Originally Posted by lindros2
I have a 2004 TL, my girlfriend has a 2004 G35.

The G35 is a better driver's car, period. Rear-wheel drive, thicker steering wheel, better handling. A notch quicker and better "manu-matic" transmission (drops down a gear when you go over).

TL has a far better interior. G35 has far better quality than my TL.

-josh
Far better? If the quality was "far better" then it wouldn't be just behind or just ahead of the TL as people in this forum are always saying. It would be "far better", right?

Sounds like the G35 is a better woman drivers car.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:47 PM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by orcaatk
Orange stitching in the steering wheel... Ummm, no. Also, big rocker switches on the wheel don't really do it for me, and they're a pain in the arse to clean... No thanks.
Those rocker switches remind me of late seventies, early eighties stereo equipment.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GO_TL
Far better? If the quality was "far better" then it wouldn't be just behind or just ahead of the TL as people in this forum are always saying. It would be "far better", right?

Sounds like the G35 is a better woman drivers car.
This thread was fine till you mr. TL biased personallity came in here. Everyone agreed that the G35 was put together much better than the TL. That is obvious. The only problem the G35 has is the quality of materials used inside. Overall it is a better car if you are a driver. If you are just a cruiser the TL is the car to get.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I think visibility is an issue in the G35. I don't care for the orange stitching or the orange guages. That's kind of a gimmicky thing to do, like you'd expect from Pontiac or something (and their HORRIBLE red guages). Anyway, that car is certainly better than my 96 2.5 TL, but I like the '04 TL better than the G35 because of both the interior and exterior styling. Although Acura should know by now to offer a RWD or AWD model (which I think they're doing with the RL right?).
Also the G35 sedan only gets 12.8L/100km for RWD and 13.6L/100km for AWD, whereas the TL gets 11.7L/100km. Fuel economy is a big issue for me.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:24 PM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by SilverBulletCLS
This thread was fine till you mr. TL biased personallity came in here. Everyone agreed that the G35 was put together much better than the TL. That is obvious. The only problem the G35 has is the quality of materials used inside. Overall it is a better car if you are a driver. If you are just a cruiser the TL is the car to get.
Thanks for your input. It will be noted. But you must understand that a car "put together much better" would rate "much better" than its competition. But the G35 does not rate much better. Its in a statistical dead heat with most of its competition. Car of the year? OK, so it got car of the year because it was reasonably priced and it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. I'm not really into what everyone agrees on. I can make decisions for myself.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:19 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GO_TL
Thanks for your input. It will be noted. But you must understand that a car "put together much better" would rate "much better" than its competition. But the G35 does not rate much better. Its in a statistical dead heat with most of its competition. Car of the year? OK, so it got car of the year because it was reasonably priced and it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. I'm not really into what everyone agrees on. I can make decisions for myself.
SilverBullet CLS is very biased. He thinks the G35 is perfect. It is far from perfect. The interior materials are cheap, the stereo kinda sucks, and it exhibits more road noise than the TL. The G35 seems to have less rattles though (better fit and finish?).

However, you are suggesting the G35 wins the comparos because it is cheaper and has RWD? That isn't completely true. The G35 has a completely superior chassis. No questions about it. It is better in EVERY WAY than the TL in driving dynamics. Sure the TL is better in snow or rain but the magazine reviewers don't take that into consideration. I test drove the cars before deciding on the G35c but I really enjoyed both cars. The TL will never win any comparos that focuses on driving performance because it is simply inferior in that department. It's focus on the luxury aspect is what makes it a better "everyday" car.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:27 PM

Well the TL is the better luxo cars with more features, the G35 is the better sports sedan. In magazines, the TL has never come close to winning any comparison except Consumer Reports. The G35 has won and is a favorite as it is a true sports sedan. Magazines prefer sportier cars unless they note otherwise.
Both are great cars for the money and very evenly matched. You can't really say one is better than the other since they have different pluses and minuses.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:59 PM

When you have 8 months of winter, try driving a RWD sports car and see how you like it. I wouldn't even consider a car that doesn't have FWD, AWD, or 4WD. It all comes down to your needs. For example, you don't see very many convertibles around here. They're just impractical. But I bet in California there's tons of 'em.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by youngTL
When you have 8 months of winter, try driving a RWD sports car and see how you like it. I wouldn't even consider a car that doesn't have FWD, AWD, or 4WD. It all comes down to your needs. For example, you don't see very many convertibles around here. They're just impractical. But I bet in California there's tons of 'em.
AWD has nothing on SNOW TIRES!!!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Have you driven a G35x. It handles waaaaaaay better than the TL. If you don't believe me, go test drive one. Nobody buys a TL because it handles better than a G35. They buy it because it offers a better interior, FWD, and brand preference (exterior is subjective).
Old 06-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EZZ
SilverBullet CLS is very biased. He thinks the G35 is perfect. It is far from perfect. The interior materials are cheap, the stereo kinda sucks, and it exhibits more road noise than the TL. The G35 seems to have less rattles though (better fit and finish?).

However, you are suggesting the G35 wins the comparos because it is cheaper and has RWD? That isn't completely true. The G35 has a completely superior chassis. No questions about it. It is better in EVERY WAY than the TL in driving dynamics. Sure the TL is better in snow or rain but the magazine reviewers don't take that into consideration. I test drove the cars before deciding on the G35c but I really enjoyed both cars. The TL will never win any comparos that focuses on driving performance because it is simply inferior in that department. It's focus on the luxury aspect is what makes it a better "everyday" car.
Where did I say I was biased? I said the bad point on the G35. The Stereo does not suck! Now I heard the coupes and it does suck, but the sedans sounds much better. I can not tell a difference in road noise at all. So we all know that is bs. The G35 is made in Japan, the TL is made in Ohio? Enough Said.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:53 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Where did I say I was biased? I said the bad point on the G35. The Stereo does not suck! Now I heard the coupes and it does suck, but the sedans sounds much better. I can not tell a difference in road noise at all. So we all know that is bs. The G35 is made in Japan, the TL is made in Ohio? Enough Said.
The G35 sedan's stereo is only a little better than the coupes but it sucks compared to the TLs. My friend's IS300 is waaay better too! Sorry, for a 225W Bose, it sucks!

The road noise is worse on the coupes that come with 18s but the coupe handles better because of the stickier tires. The road noise also is much more prevalent in the G than in the TL. The TL is very quiet. Even if YOU cannot tell road noise between the two cars does not make it BS. That is supreme arrogance to think that. Check the Decibal levels of the TL vs G and the TL will have a quieter interior.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by EZZ
Have you driven a G35x. It handles waaaaaaay better than the TL. If you don't believe me, go test drive one. Nobody buys a TL because it handles better than a G35. They buy it because it offers a better interior, FWD, and brand preference (exterior is subjective).
Nothing handles well on ice and snow. It's the question of what's going to give you the least amount of problems. I agree that the G35 outhandles the TL on DRY pavement. I've driven a RWD vehicle before I got my 96TL, and let me tell you that it is MUCH worse in the snow. My old 4Runner had to be in 4WD just to function in fresh snow, even though it had all terrain tires with big treads. I doubt that a CAR with winter car winter tires would handle any better, because when you're pushing instead of pulling, there is a greater chance to fishtail and lose control. The average driver doesn't know how to control themselves in RWD in the winter. It's more difficult. The G35 is built for driving enthusiasts, and the TL is built as an all around car. When you drive in excess of 400-500km per week, a good cruiser is more important. It's also likely to reach higher sales in these areas. I barely ever see G35's around in either coupe or sedan form. My neighbor has one and uses it only 4 to 4 and a half months out of the year. He's only put a few thousand clicks on it so far. The rest of the year he drives his Lexus RX330. If you can only afford one car, I'd think the TL would be the better bet, at least here. A Lexus ES330 costs the same amount also, but it's not as sporty. I think both are better choices than the G35, unless you are a hardcore driving enthusiast who likes to take the bus in the winter
Old 06-12-2004, 01:23 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Nothing handles well on ice and snow. It's the question of what's going to give you the least amount of problems. I agree that the G35 outhandles the TL on DRY pavement. I've driven a RWD vehicle before I got my 96TL, and let me tell you that it is MUCH worse in the snow. My old 4Runner had to be in 4WD just to function in fresh snow, even though it had all terrain tires with big treads. I doubt that a CAR with winter car winter tires would handle any better, because when you're pushing instead of pulling, there is a greater chance to fishtail and lose control. The average driver doesn't know how to control themselves in RWD in the winter. It's more difficult. The G35 is built for driving enthusiasts, and the TL is built as an all around car. When you drive in excess of 400-500km per week, a good cruiser is more important. It's also likely to reach higher sales in these areas. I barely ever see G35's around in either coupe or sedan form. My neighbor has one and uses it only 4 to 4 and a half months out of the year. He's only put a few thousand clicks on it so far. The rest of the year he drives his Lexus RX330. If you can only afford one car, I'd think the TL would be the better bet, at least here. A Lexus ES330 costs the same amount also, but it's not as sporty. I think both are better choices than the G35, unless you are a hardcore driving enthusiast who likes to take the bus in the winter
I totally agree with your comments. If I was in a snowy climate, I would have gone with the TL. I personally don't like the G35 sedan but since I live in So Cal, I chose the coupe. Both are excellent cars but the coupe was the right car for me at this time. In Cali, I see more G35s than TLs.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ

AMEN TO THAT

Face it TL people...your cars are nice...I give you that, but the g35 beats the TL is every aspect except maybe and i do stress maybe the interior. Its all personal preference cuz i like the layout of the G35. The TL's is nice also since acura finally decided to mimic a bimmers interior. My friend...who drives an 04TL loves my interior and would trade his car in for a G coupe if he could. From comparing the two interiors, i would have to say that the leather is better in the G. The only part i dislike is the plastic titanium center console. That was a flaw that made the G cheaper in the inside, but for 2005 it has been corrected.

I was planning to get a TL when i wanted to get rid of my TL-S, but once i drove a G35, i totally forgot about the TL. The TL is a nice family car, but the g35 is a drivers car with a touch of luxury.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Let's not bash the TL here. It is a wonderful car. It has strengths that the G35 cannot match such as the interior refinements and road noise isolation (G35 is much louder). If you're not really into the driving dynamics of the car, then the TL is the better option. I had a Supra and didn't really realize how much I missed RWD until I had a FWD for about 5 years. I wil NEVER get FWD again. It absolutely sucks A$$ in So Cal.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Let's not bash the TL here. It is a wonderful car. It has strengths that the G35 cannot match such as the interior refinements and road noise isolation (G35 is much louder). If you're not really into the driving dynamics of the car, then the TL is the better option. I had a Supra and didn't really realize how much I missed RWD until I had a FWD for about 5 years. I wil NEVER get FWD again. It absolutely sucks A$$ in So Cal.
I'm not bashing it at all. I honestly think its a great car...its just that i think the g35 is better. The TL has alot to offer for the price and its a sharp looking car
Old 06-12-2004, 05:10 PM

I think a better comparison would be the TL vs. Maxima or Altima. They are FWD cars.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

My
Just cause something is made in Japan vs. here doesnt make it superior. Perhaps in a Honda product yes, but an employee(most peons) is only as good as what he's given to work with(materials), his employer/management. If his employer is related to some of the Nissan/ Infinity Service Dept horror stories I've been able to witness first hand and hear about from numerous other people then, I'll pass thanks...

Peace
Old 09-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Comptech Freak

the 05 G35 4 door will pump up to 280hp, up from 260hp

while the 6speed coupe will go up to 298hp, the auto stays at 280hp

watch out guys
Old 09-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samkws
the 05 G35 4 door will pump up to 280hp, up from 260hp

while the 6speed coupe will go up to 298hp, the auto stays at 280hp

watch out guys
Not exactly correct.

The Auto G35s both coupe and sedan get 280 hp.

The G35 6spds both Sedan and Coupe get 298 hp.

www.nissannews.com if you don't believe me.

The current 03-04 G35 puts down 275-280hp stock already in 6spd form. It is underated.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
Not exactly correct.

The Auto G35s both coupe and sedan get 280 hp.

The G35 6spds both Sedan and Coupe get 298 hp.

www.nissannews.com if you don't believe me.

The current 03-04 G35 puts down 275-280hp stock already in 6spd form. It is underated.
thanks for your correction
Old 10-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Comptech Freak

even thou G35 has 298hp, they are still yet to produce 300hp + with the VQ engine

while the new RL is pumping out 300hp w/automatic and cylinder deactivation all kinds of gimmicks...

i think TL will go for the same combination next for the Type-S with AWD

just whenever Nissan comes up with sth, Honda will always beat it, i am thrilled to see how far they can go
Old 10-01-2004, 03:14 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

even thou G35 has 298hp, they are still yet to produce 300hp + with the VQ engine

while the new RL is pumping out 300hp w/automatic and cylinder deactivation all kinds of gimmicks...

just whenever Nissan comes up with sth, Honda will always beat it, i am thrilled to see how far they can go
The 350Z will pump out 300hp in the track model. The RL is impressive but lacking IMO without the v8. 0-60 in 6.4 isn't impressive especially since the competition all do it under 6 (GS, M45, 545).

Has anyone test driven both the G35 and the TL. Am I the only person that has felt the TL lacking in the handling compared to the G? I pushed both cars around the same loop and although the TL felt competent, but the G felt more nimble and handled transitions better. I agree with most people that feel that the TL is a better overall car but I am just not convinced that it handles better than the G.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Ever heard of the old saying, "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races."
Old 10-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Banned

350z gets 302 hp.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 350Z will pump out 300hp in the track model. The RL is impressive but lacking IMO without the v8. 0-60 in 6.4 isn't impressive especially since the competition all do it under 6 (GS, M45, 545).

Has anyone test driven both the G35 and the TL. Am I the only person that has felt the TL lacking in the handling compared to the G? I pushed both cars around the same loop and although the TL felt competent, but the G felt more nimble and handled transitions better. I agree with most people that feel that the TL is a better overall car but I am just not convinced that it handles better than the G.
RL is a LARGE and heavy car, 6.4sec with a 3.5L engine is impressive, matching maxima's numbers

GS, M45, 545 are V8 with 4.3-4.5L, not even in the same class to compare for performance, and price and MPG is a big difference as well

TL is a front drive, G is a rear drive, it's logical to say G handles better, and i won't disagree, but TL handles great as a FWD
Old 10-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
350z gets 302 hp.
haha nice

Nissan says to Honda "here's my 02 HP!!! "

hahahahahahahaa
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

In my opinion the G35 is a great RWD car and has the more than enough power to peel out and eat rice-boys alive. But what made me decide to get a TL was that it could still smoke ricers and the exterior styling and technology was much more appealing. The G35 coupe is beautiful but I needed a sedan, and the G35 sedan is butt-ugly. Literally. Infiniti's gotta work on those tail lights and trunk contour to look more like the coupe.

In addition, Infiniti still does that rip-off package pre-requisites of getting a Premium Package before the Navigation can be added. A sunroof is also required for the Aero package. I hate how Infiniti slips in those extra costs of linking one compnent with another. I guess it's slightly better than the original FX35 rip-off: nav required premium, sport, and tech packages = $9400 on top of MSRP.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Roar
In my opinion the G35 is a great RWD car and has the more than enough power to peel out and eat rice-boys alive. But what made me decide to get a TL was that it could still smoke ricers and the exterior styling and technology was much more appealing. The G35 coupe is beautiful but I needed a sedan, and the G35 sedan is butt-ugly. Literally. Infiniti's gotta work on those tail lights and trunk contour to look more like the coupe.

In addition, Infiniti still does that rip-off package pre-requisites of getting a Premium Package before the Navigation can be added. A sunroof is also required for the Aero package. I hate how Infiniti slips in those extra costs of linking one compnent with another. I guess it's slightly better than the original FX35 rip-off: nav required premium, sport, and tech packages = $9400 on top of MSRP.
Actually the Touring package on the FX is the bulk of the options that you would want to have. For 04 (and 05), you don't have to get the sport package, or even the DVD system in back to get the Technology package.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Shoofin'TL
Actually the Touring package on the FX is the bulk of the options that you would want to have. For 04 (and 05), you don't have to get the sport package, or even the DVD system in back to get the Technology package.
Sorry, I was referring to the earliest FX's that were released ('03?) that had the lame $9400 addition to the MSRP. I forgot to put that in. Nonetheless, my protest against that still stands. The TL already has just about everything you would want in it and you have your choice when it comes to the nav and A-Spec kit. The G35 only looks cheaper because it has the options stripped off of it. I dislike it because it's deceiving and jacks up the cost when you build/price it, but some people might find that flexibility to be a good thing. But again that's just my two cents.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really trying to convince myself to like the G35Coupe. It feels great, handles great, and seemed more powerful than the TL when I test drove them (autos). After test driving it, I decided that i really would like to have a car that drives like that. However, two things are stopping me. 1 is that horrible grill (which can be replaced), 2 is the interior (i drove an 04, but the 05 looks equally ugly in pics). Needless to say, I plan to give it another drive in January when the Coupe 6MT is out and see if that can sway my decision.

Why can't we have the perfect car?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC11
The buttons for the radio and climate control are still backwards.
Exactly. I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention that.

It looks like they fixed the volume by giving it a knob, but they still didn't put it in the right place. Plus, the seat controls are still in the same lousy position (on the right side of the seat). I can understand taking a risk on style, but volume knobs should always be on the left (and should always be knobs), and seat controls should always be to the lower left (or right for passengers). Those locations work best (and are intuitive).