@ Indiana Tollroad: Cop caught her with radar, but V1 did not go off

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@ Indiana Tollroad: Cop caught her with radar, but V1 did not go off

Sorry, I will be an ass and sticky this for a day or two to see what you guys have to say cos I am very perplexe about this.

The wife was on her way to her sister's house today (drove from our house in Bolingbrook, IL on the way to South Bend, IN) and while at the Indiana Tollroad about 15 minutes from the Misuwaka exit a cop stops her saying she was doing 92 mph at a 70 mph limit. SHe said, he gave her some sort of ticket which does not say how much the ticket costs and that she has to "call in" to find out the details.

The wife swears that the V1 did not go off. This V1 is the newest model, bought it about 3 months ago or less. It's the one with POP enabled.

My V1 which is 10 years old, never ever "betrayed me", I never got a speeding ticket and I am not going slow ever.

The wife says, she asked the cop if he were sure that he caught her with a radar gun because she has a radar detector, but of course realized that this may piss him off more and stopped that conversation. THe cop said nothing back to that.

I am suspecting that the wife COULD ask the cop to see the radar and the 92mph claim (she did not but she is also wondering) but not sure what the law and stipulations are for such a request and if they are different from state to state.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
in Illinois yes, you can request to see the radar.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder about IN
Old 02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Does V1 have some type of guarrantee about getting caught?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Was anyone around her?

Maybe she didn't realize she was being paced.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Was anyone around her?

Maybe she didn't realize she was being paced.
I will ask her about anyone around. However this was not a pace. This was a radar bust. A pretty typical one from what she described. The cop was under a bridge behind one of the bridge poles. Totally typical.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I will ask her about anyone around. However this was not a pace. This was a radar bust. A pretty typical one from what she described. The cop was under a bridge behind one of the bridge poles. Totally typical.
Sounds like its right about where my field producer got busted for speeding when we were filming out there. Blows.

Calling in a ticket to get the amount due is pretty standard.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
Calling in a ticket to get the amount due is pretty standard.

Why is that?

Also did your producer have a V1 on?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I will be an ass and sticky this for a day or two to see what you guys have to say cos I am very perplexe about this.

The wife was on her way to her sister's house today (drove from our house in Bolingbrook, IL on the way to South Bend, IN) and while at the Indiana Tollroad about 15 minutes from the Misuwaka exit a cop stops her saying she was doing 92 mph at a 70 mph limit. SHe said, he gave her some sort of ticket which does not say how much the ticket costs and that she has to "call in" to find out the details.

The wife swears that the V1 did not go off. This V1 is the newest model, bought it about 3 months ago or less. It's the one with POP enabled.

My V1 which is 10 years old, never ever "betrayed me", I never got a speeding ticket and I am not going slow ever.

The wife says, she asked the cop if he were sure that he caught her with a radar gun because she has a radar detector, but of course realized that this may piss him off more and stopped that conversation. THe cop said nothing back to that.

I am suspecting that the wife COULD ask the cop to see the radar and the 92mph claim (she did not but she is also wondering) but not sure what the law and stipulations are for such a request and if they are different from state to state.

What do you guys think?

Many states do not require the officer to show the radar, so you are right it does vary. Calling in for the amount has become the norm a quite a few states now. Could it have been Laser, even the V1 doesn't always alert with a Laser shot. It happened to me I-85 in Atlanta, I saw the cop shoot me from the side of the road (between semis!) and the V1 didn't peep but I know he hit me and he knew he hit me! Interesting conversation with him that ended with him telling me 10mph would have been fine but not the 18 over I was doing...
Old 02-25-2006, 02:42 PM
The Third Ball

Why is that?

Also did your producer have a V1 on?
No, we were in a rented Murano...no radar detectors.

Its not up to the cops to decide the amount of the fine. Its up to the county/courts.

One the cops files his tickets (up to like 20 days) you then call in to find out the amount of ticket.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ilitig8
Many states do not require the officer to show the radar, so you are right it does vary. Calling in for the amount has become the norm a quite a few states now. Could it have been Laser, even the V1 doesn't always alert with a Laser shot. It happened to me I-85 in Atlanta, I saw the cop shoot me from the side of the road (between semis!) and the V1 didn't peep but I know he hit me and he knew he hit me! Interesting conversation with him that ended with him telling me 10mph would have been fine but not the 18 over I was doing...
Interesting. I thought laser does NOT work from the side.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
No, we were in a rented Murano...no radar detectors.

Its not up to the cops to decide the amount of the fine. Its up to the county/courts.

One the cops files his tickets (up to like 20 days) you then call in to find out the amount of ticket.
This is very interesting to me. WHy wouldnt the cop decide the amount and some clerk would? The cop was there, no?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

http://www.radardetector.net/%40IN-T...-off-8866t.php
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM
The Third Ball

This is very interesting to me. WHy wouldnt the cop decide the amount and some clerk would? The cop was there, no?
Fees are based on what county you are busted in, how much you were over, prior offenses...etc etc etc.

Its an annoyance...but its how it is.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting. I thought laser does NOT work from the side.

It was at a slight angle but I thought it was curious also, I guess he had just enough angle. He said 3 times it was laser (I assume he was required to otherwise it was quite stilted). In any event I saw him with a hand held unit and he dropped down in the seat the second after it was apparent he shot me. The speed he charged me for was (given my know speedo error) within 1 mph of what I would have thought I was going.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ok here is the complete scoop:

Wife is on the IN toll road, 15 min before the Mishuwaka exit (South Bend, IN area).

She is BY HER SELF on the road. Road was empty she said.

She is approaching the bridge, where cop was hidding, at unknown speed. She said "I was over the limit but I dont know how much over".

The item I'd like to add here is that I know her car, the RX300 Silversport starts to lose stability at above 85mph when windy. That road is usually windy because it's so flat and she confirms it was windy. IN other words, it's somewhat unlikely she was doing the 92mph claimed by the cop later. But it's certainly possible.

(again, cop is under a bridge behind one of its poles, standing still)

About 2 seconds before becomes par with the cop (meaning cop and her are side by side), she sees the cop. She lets off the gas and starts breaking lightly. Just to add, for anyone that knows, the 4th and final gear in a 2001 RX300 is quite short. My point is that at 92mph letting off the gas, will get you down to 75mph very quickly even with no braking (for whatever it's worth).

At that moment she start looking in her rear mirror.

The cop, is not moving at first few seconds. The cop, starts moving a few seconds later (while wife is now under the speed limit of 70mph), however the cop is doing like 30mph she said. The wife is more than a mile away from him but still decelerating ("people are passing me at this point" she said).

Cop at this point accelerates, turns his lights on when he is very close to her, no sirene and wife stops at shoulder.

So bottom line, wife was over speed limit only before she passed the cop (if not a little before that even). In other words, no way it was pacing. By THAT cop at least. Well, no vehicles were around so, it was not pacing by anyone, for that matter I guess.

Cop stops and says, you were doing 92mph. That's when she said "really?" with disbelief! Cop says "I got you with radar". And continued by saying, "I have a radar ditector and it did not go off, blah blah". She also said, she never goes that fast and that the cop will realize that when he runs up her info in hir computer (and that's true she had no speed tickets on highways). From that point on the situation is 100% beauraucratic. Cop asks for license and reg. and goes back to his car, comes back rather quickly she said and gives her a "ticket" and a number to call to get her dollar amount (which btw I hear for the first time but others in various forums confirm as the new way of doing business in this situation for the cops).

Did the V1 work after the ticket, I asked? Yes is the answer, a false alarm took place by a gas station a few minutes later.

Did it work before? Yes, it rang a million times and she heard it.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

A little more to the complete picture here.

The MAIN reason we got the second V1 was because the wife got another speed ticket like 4 months ago in a rural street somewhere in the IL north suburbs. THis one was like 55 on a 40 and it's the one that if you pay, your insurance does not know about and it's not on your record. It was something like a county ticket, cant remeber the details.

Because i have been telling her she should get a V1 for years since she drives for the past 3 years a lot more than I do and more than the average driver (100 mile commute to work every day for 4 years now), that's what did it. I picked up the phone after that ticket and ordered one.

The reason I am explaining this is that the wife has now lost complete faith in the V1 and all the hype I have provided about this product and now sees the $405 as a compelte waste of money. It's not the ticket that's the major let down, it's the money paid for a product that did not protect her (although that's subjective because she was the only car on the road and so you know the rest...).

And that is why it bugs me to find out what the hell those IN cops use. So I know for the future.

The other secondary reasons we got a V1 were the fact that mine does not have POP mode and that it was a pain to move mine to her car when we would go out during the weekends, etc.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

A little more to the complete picture here.

The MAIN reason we got the second V1 was because the wife got another speed ticket like 4 months ago in a rural street somewhere in the IL north suburbs. THis one was like 55 on a 40 and it's the one that if you pay, your insurance does not know about and it's not on your record. It was something like a county ticket, cant remeber the details.

Because i have been telling her she should get a V1 for years since she drives for the past 3 years a lot more than I do and more than the average driver (100 mile commute to work every day for 4 years now), that's what did it. I picked up the phone after that ticket and ordered one.

The reason I am explaining this is that the wife has now lost complete faith in the V1 and all the hype I have provided about this product and now sees the $405 as a compelte waste of money. It's not the ticket that's the major let down, it's the money paid for a product that did not protect her (although that's subjective because she was the only car on the road and so you know the rest...).

And that is why it bugs me to find out what the hell those IN cops use. So I know for the future.

The other secondary reasons we got a V1 were the fact that mine does not have POP mode and that it was a pain to move mine to her car when we would go out during the weekends, etc.

Fix for lost faith is a placebo (assuming the one that gives the placebo still has faith).

Something like:

Honey the interweb reports that this is SOP for those bastages in Indiana they use their "butt radar" when it works for them. No use to fight it just watch your speed there as "imaginary" radar doesn't cause the V1 to scream.

Now, not saying you SHOULD do this, this is a delicate area and each individual needs to weigh the pros and cons...
Old 02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^ I hear ya...

She is convinced the cop lied, but... Whatever.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

"POP mode works by sending out a quick burst of pulse radar at approximately 67 milliseconds. MPH Industries admits that while in this mode, that the displayed speed of a vehicle may not be accurate. They recommend that the officer only use this mode to obtain an estimate of speed from the target vehicle. And then switch to normal mode to obtain the exact speed."

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...op-testing.asp

"The manufacturer of the Valentine 1 (maybe the most expensive dash mounted radar detector available) has until recently discredited POP radar and refused to use this technology. However, they now include POP radar capabilities with their new version. Tthe V1 comes with the POP radar mode activated, with no way to turn it off. This substantially increases the number of false alerts this unit receives."
Old 02-26-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned

The Indiana Toll Road had a LOT of police this week. I noticed this coming back from Champaign.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Instructor

In Indiana, they have the 1 year or 6 month probation program. You will pay a little extra, but as long as you don't get another ticket within that probationary period, it will not show up on your insurance records.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I am not sure if Indiana State Police use laser, but I will say that on my way out to a Notre Dame game this past fall, I encountered two police that were using Ka guns.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
how old is your V1, there have been a lot of advances in radar technology the last 1-2 years
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

I would be also pissed if radar detector didn't give any warning.

If it warned me at least then I get ticket, I would think it was inevitable (ex:laser)

Where I live is all laser now. They recently started using Ka on highways. It is really hard for me to believe detector didn't see radar. Even my crappy $100 detector gives me about 2 seconds of radar warning over-the-hill.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed alot of people use the completely hidden KA400 or something for radar detecting in all higher end lexus's. Has to small diodes to alert you etc..and it has a thing on front and back of car to immulate radar signals etc to make it like you arent even there......Anybody hear of this?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
The Indiana Toll Road had a LOT of police this week. I noticed this coming back from Champaign.
The wife said, on the way back, she saw 3 cop cars stationed at different places, looking like they are parked as speed traps, however the V1 did not go off once. So either they are using something the V1 is not capable of detecting (extremely unlikely but not impossible) or they were sitting there with their radars off.

OR

Maybe there were using unmarked cars to pace people and radio the result?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ali.ahmed
In Indiana, they have the 1 year or 6 month probation program. You will pay a little extra, but as long as you don't get another ticket within that probationary period, it will not show up on your insurance records.
Really? Very interesting. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Scrib
I am not sure if Indiana State Police use laser, but I will say that on my way out to a Notre Dame game this past fall, I encountered two police that were using Ka guns.
I have done the Bolingbrook, IL to South Bend, IN route more than 25 times in the past 4 years. Always with my 10 year old V1. It has saved me at least 3-4 times. However, if before this new incident, someone asked me about the speed trap intensity for that route, I'd say it's not all that bad. I'd say 50% of the time I'd see no cops on the way.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CLpower
how old is your V1, there have been a lot of advances in radar technology the last 1-2 years
As I stated above, the wife's is 3 months old.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Actuary
I would be also pissed if radar detector didn't give any warning.

If it warned me at least then I get ticket, I would think it was inevitable (ex:laser)

Where I live is all laser now. They recently started using Ka on highways. It is really hard for me to believe detector didn't see radar. Even my crappy $100 detector gives me about 2 seconds of radar warning over-the-hill.

I agree on all points.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:56 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by swift22
I noticed alot of people use the completely hidden KA400 or something for radar detecting in all higher end lexus's. Has to small diodes to alert you etc..and it has a thing on front and back of car to immulate radar signals etc to make it like you arent even there......Anybody hear of this?
K40...They have a model where they put hidden sensors on the front and rear bumpers...and then 2 small red LEDs where you want...that tell you if the radar is in front or behind. The brain/volume control is in teh glove box.

Its really bad ass...my friend has had one for years...first in his I30t 5spd, and then in his 540 6 speed.

I always thought is was a great detector.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Guys, the cop wrote on the ticket:

S/Radar
Old 02-26-2006, 02:05 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by swift22
K40 you mean? My buddy has it, don't like it as much as my V1
Old 02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
teh Senior Instigator

The wife said, on the way back, she saw 3 cop cars stationed at different places, looking like they are parked as speed traps, however the V1 did not go off once. So either they are using something the V1 is not capable of detecting (extremely unlikely but not impossible) or they were sitting there with their radars off.

OR

most likely instant on, I noticed driving cross country last month there is a lot more instant on going on then their use to be.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Instant on makes sense but again it does not make sense in her story. There was no alert.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Instant on makes sense but again it does not make sense in her story. There was no alert.

you absolutely positive she couldn't of just missed the alert? If she had the volume down on the unit it may of been hard to see the instant on since it's such a quick flash.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OR

Indiana also has a air support that tracks you from above in a cessna. I know a lot of people have gotten tickets that way. I bet she got paced by the plane, you'd never know it was even there. They just call ahead to the waiting police...
Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ very good possibility.
While it sucks, its ultimatly your word against theirs and they are right unless you can prove them wrong.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
22 over the limit should be a $95 or $150 ticket, depending on the county. She'll probably get court supervision, but if she's had a previous ticket on record, she might have to attend traffic school

Quick Reply: @ Indiana Tollroad: Cop caught her with radar, but V1 did not go off