4G TL OEM Michelins 245/50R17

Category: Wheels & Tires
Price: $759
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part Fits (you may select multiples): TL 4G
Location (State/Prov/Terr): NJ
Item Condition: Brand New

Tirerack.com $251 ea + shipping; Michelin >$320 + sales tax

Still with new stickers -- these have never been mounted. They were warranty replacements for our TL, but we selected something else.

See: https://acurazine.com/forums/album.p...ictureid=33378

Able to be delivered within 100 miles of 07719 (NYC, Phila, Atlantic City) Beyond 100 miles, $1 per mile.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 AM
! deadmau5 !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$720 OBO.

BTW, these will definitely work on a 3G, but you'll sit a fraction of an inch higher and the revs per mile will be reduced slightly. (Use tirerack's spec sheets to compare what you have vs. this size.)

We found the Michelin Pilots on our 3G to be exceptionally long wearing, not needing replacement before 65K miles. And they gave very good gas mileage, possibly because of the sidewall stiffness. (We changed to something with a more aggressive tread design that seemed better able to handle coastal rain downpours.)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by jginnane
$720 OBO.

BTW, these will definitely work on a 3G, but you'll sit a fraction of an inch higher and the revs per mile will be reduced slightly. (Use tirerack's spec sheets to compare what you have vs. this size.)

We found the Michelin Pilots on our 3G to be exceptionally long wearing, not needing replacement before 65K miles. And they gave very good gas mileage, possibly because of the sidewall stiffness. (We changed to something with a more aggressive tread design that seemed better able to handle coastal rain downpours.)

Sorry to inhibit your sale, but needed to respond to put this in perspective so that someone may make a knowledgeable decision.
They are not recommended for the 3G TL as they are 1.1" taller than the OE Michelins. This isn't to say they won't fit, but they will be huge on the car.
GLWS
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by Turbonut
They are not recommended for the 3G TL as they are 1.1" taller than the OE Michelins. This isn't to say they won't fit, but they will be huge on the car.GLWS
I made a similar mistake (when we were considering trading up from our 3G to the 4G). The tire is taller, but the part you're concerned with is hub centerpoint to the ground... which is half of that.

It might be a good idea to try to consider what Acura was doing when they changed tire sizes between generations. The TL went from being "sporty" to more of a highway cruiser. The tires don't rotate as many revs per mile, and road noise decreased. Being 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher on tire air gives more insulation from road shocks (like potholes). The major tradeoff is that handling isn't as crisp.

For what it's worth, I'm going with fat UHPAS tires (Conti ExtremeContact DWS in +2 sizing) on my 370Z when I get new rubber this fall, as opposed to the OEM summer treads. I'd rather have a chance to take the car out in funky weather than host a garage queen, and even with ten-gallon galoshes it'll still out-hoon most cars on the street.

Similarly, putting oversize rubber on a 3G will make the car's handling feel... more like a 4G, I guess. This (245/50R17) isn't monster sizing by any stretch, but for the first week or so they're on the car it will seem to sit a little higher (and be more likely to float over concrete expansion joints than thud into them).

But if you like to lower your car and tighten the suspension so much you can tell whether you're driving over the front or the back of a dime, this is not the solution for you.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
! deadmau5 !

Thread is now CLOSED.

The rubber is still new; the set didn't sell. But it's worth more to me to keep them as replacement tires for either the TL or Element in the future ... and now that I picked up an extra set of 17" rims, I intend to do just that.

If anybody wanted to buy, they'd also have to buy a set of 10-spoke Motegi Racing 17x7 SP-10s in hyperblack, and the price for tires & rims is $1200 (delivered within 200 miles of Atlantic City). This is just mentioned in passing -- I'm not keeping this open for sale, and I've got plenty of basement storage space.