GTA : Legit exterior detailer?? (need to get rid of swirls & scratches)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
GTA : Legit exterior detailer?? (need to get rid of swirls & scratches)

My roommate,, out of his nice Canadianness,, decided to shed snow off my car with his stiff ass brush -__- ... so I need a really good exterior detailing job to get rid of all the scratches.

Does anyone know a shop or a person I can contact??
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
ouch!
hope she gets pretty again
Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Eastern Canada)

Received 227 Likes on 178 Posts
Here's a link, just read it through

https://acurazine.com/forums/eastern-canada-323/best-detailing-shops-gta-811888/
The following users liked this post:
4drviper (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
WesR is your guy.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
+1 for Wes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.fmcarcare.ca
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know about Wes. I have a stripe of pieces of lint stuck under opticoat (I think?) along the edge of my hood and white dust all over crevices and channels.

I'm 90% sure window trim (on the outside) was not dull and rough, because the driver's trim is fine, but rear trim is fucked.

I contacted him around 8PM but no reply. I'll have to see..............
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4drviper
My roommate,, out of his nice Canadianness,, decided to shed snow off my car with his stiff ass brush -__- ... so I need a really good exterior detailing job to get rid of all the scratches.

Does anyone know a shop or a person I can contact??
You can contact brianch, he's a TL owner and regular active participant on this board that contributes to the community.

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/brianch-309348/

He does very good detailing work.

I have a stripe of pieces of lint stuck under opticoat (I think?) along the edge of my hood and white dust all over crevices and channels.

I'm 90% sure window trim (on the outside) was not dull and rough, because the driver's trim is fine, but rear trim is fucked.
Who applied the opti coat (OC) for you and when was it done?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boredstudent3
You can contact brianch, he's a TL owner and regular active participant on this board that contributes to the community.

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/brianch-309348/

He does very good detailing work.

Who applied the opti coat (OC) for you and when was it done?
Thanks. But I will now only go to a detailer who would let me quietly watch the whole process. I'll buy him lunch and snacks.

Wes, and on Wednesday.

Here are pics, while I (hopefully) wait for his reply since I texted him 8PM on Thursday.
GTA : Legit exterior detailer?? (need to get rid of swirls & scratches)-vtwvdvm.jpg

GTA : Legit exterior detailer?? (need to get rid of swirls & scratches)-h8qt5ng.jpg

GTA : Legit exterior detailer?? (need to get rid of swirls & scratches)-sqqyn1u.jpg

No they are not scratches. They are pieces of whatever stuck under. I am 100% sure they were not there before.

Last edited by 4drviper; 03-21-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 AM
4th Gear

That is not good news.

That is not lint, it is cracking of the paint and referred to as "crow's feet" (it resembles the foot print of a crow/bird)

I worked on a CSX and there was a bulletin for the fix. It is permanent damage of the paint.

The common locations to find that damage is across the hood within a 1-2 feet wide "strip" and also along the leading edge of the roof right along the top of the windshield (so if you have a sun roof, it would be between the sun roof and the windshield)
Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 AM
4th Gear

http://csxdriver.freeforums.org/hond...end-t1291.html

I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
4drviper (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 AM
4th Gear

Thanks. But I will now only go to a detailer who would let me quietly watch the whole process. I'll buy him lunch and snacks.

No they are not scratches. They are pieces of whatever stuck under. I am 100% sure they were not there before.
They are not scratches or swirls or marring or holograms or any other type of imperfection. It is a paint defect.

You mentioned that you got OC applied to the paint right? OC is a coating that is applied on top of the vehicles clear coat. Lint or dirt does not simply get underneath the product and appear there.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh okay so I know it's not his fault. Still 8/10 because some scratches are still there.

The good : Roommate loves my car now because it's shinier -_-

The bad : Wes did not tell me about paint cracking, why or how he decided not to fully remove scratches on parts of the car.... He could've shot me a text back saying it's not his fault and Acura's fault.

About that TSB, it's an American car model year 2007, but I'm just in Canada for school. What steps can I take to get it repaired?

Last edited by 4drviper; 03-21-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 AM
4th Gear

Oh okay so I know it's not his fault. Still 8/10 because some scratches are still there.

The good : Roommate loves my car now because it's shinier -_-
It's not your room mates fault, what you are showing in the picture will not happen from using a snow brush on the paint 1 time.

You probably do have some swirls or scratches but that should be easily removed.

The bad : Wes did not tell me about paint cracking, why or how he decided not to fully remove scratches on parts of the car.... He could've shot me a text back saying it's not his fault and Acura's fault.
I would like to divulge, but I'll have to reserve my thoughts on his work.

About that TSB, it's an American car model year 2007, but I'm just in Canada for school. Can i drop by at local Acura dealership??
The Acura CSX that I worked on was a 2007 and the owner had received the letter but he didn't pay attention to it and set it aside. I informed him of the issue when I discovered it while detailing the car, and when he went to look it up, he remembered the letter he received.

He got it covered no problem, they repainted it for him. His hood and leading edge of the roof was affected.

I don't know the details of your vehicle, but go and check in with the dealership and proceed from there. They should readily know about this issue.

If you need help I can ask the owner how he went about with the process.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Burning Brakes

It's not your room mates fault, what you are showing in the picture will not happen from using a snow brush on the paint 1 time.

You probably do have some swirls or scratches but that should be easily removed.

Oh I do know it's not her fault. Brush damage was over the roof and trunk only.

I'll contact local dealer and see where it goes. But I have no hopes at a dealer who charges $135/hr lol
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Sometimes after a detail, deep swirls (called RIDS, random isolated deep scratches) remain because removing them would risk removing too much clear coat. If you went with a one-step correction, I would expect some swirls to remain, especially on a black car.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, just providing another point of view.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aman
Sometimes after a detail, deep swirls (called RIDS, random isolated deep scratches) remain because removing them would risk removing too much clear coat. If you went with a one-step correction, I would expect some swirls to remain, especially on a black car.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, just providing another point of view.

Hmm, good point. But the remaining scratches I was talking about, were pretty obvious in certain spots.

It was "stage 2" polishing, that's what he told me.

But there were no additional details if my repainted trunk and quarter panel paint was too thin, or scratch was too deep, or, I just wasn't informed of any unexpected stuff so I just assumed (based on his work photos and reputation) everything went smooth.

Don't get me wrong, more than half swirls are gone and car is shinier.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM
4th Gear

So I just re-read the thread and here is what I gather from the situation:

-you're here driving a USA purchased 2007 TL for School, hence sharing a place with a room mate.

-the room mate unfortunately used a snow brush on parts of the car and you had it detailed (paint correction with OC) on Wednesday, but there was compound & polishing dust (ie the "white dust" you're referring to) left in the cracks and crevices and door/trunk/hood jambs.

-something is also wrong with the exterior trim on the vehicle?

-paint correction was done and OC was applied over the crow's feet without notifying or making you aware of the issue?

Realistically, any decent amount of paint correction will improve the shine and gloss of the paint, whether it's a 1 step or multi step correction. You will notice a more drastic improvement if the starting condition of the paint is in bad shape vs. a car that has been well maintained.

For the TSB, IIRC it started in USA and then made it's way up into Canada. So I would "think" that they should be able to assist with this problem even though the car was purchased in the US (key word is "think" as sometimes dealers do not co-operate). But I'm pretty sure it's Honda/Acura corporate that pays for the repairs. There is no harm in going to the dealer and asking them, you never know unless you ask.

I'm not sure which state you're from, so it might not be feasible to drive back for the repairs. I recall reading that the TSB extended the coverage for 7 years, so you should check in with them and see how much time you have left. Definitely do not wait too long though!

Glad I was able to help you with some info, let me know how it plays out and I hope it works in your favour. Cheers
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

So I just re-read the thread and here is what I gather from the situation:

-you're here driving a USA purchased (I am 2nd owner) 2007 TL for School, hence sharing a place with roommates.

-the room mate unfortunately used a snow brush on parts of the car last month.
and you had it detailed (paint correction with OC) on Wednesday, but there was compound & polishing dust (ie the "white dust" you're referring to) left in the cracks and crevices and negligible amounts in door/trunk/hood jambs.

-something is also wrong with the exterior trim on the vehicle? Driver's side rear window "mouldings" on the outside of the car, is very rough. looks similar to crow's feet but I can feel every texture. Pics coming soon. Too tired right now.

-what he called "stage 2 polishing" was done and OC was applied over the crow's feet without notifying or making you aware of the issue.

My car has never had automatic car wash and hand washed & waxed (or at least quick liquid waxed) until this winter when I started using drugs, I mean, automated car washes. I tried to stick to touchless, but I had to use spinny brushes couple times.

I just called local Acura dealer and the warranty manager(?) said he needs to take photos and send it off to corporate to get it approved. He told me all TSXs are covered even if they are old, so fingers crossed, told me I can come anytime because there will be no time limit if it is the said issue.

Fixed & updated..

Still no answer from Wes. He had couple other cars with masking tape on it so I'm gonna guess he's very busy.

Last edited by 4drviper; 03-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 AM
4th Gear

Yes, now that you mention it I do remember my client telling me that the dealership took photos of the car and submitted them to Honda/Acura.

It took a little while for them to get back to him and it was a pretty smooth process from there.

My memory is cloudy on which body shop was used, whether it was a dealer preferred shop or one of his choosing.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM
blah!

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Acura will be hesitant. I can try talking to my dealer to see if he can do anything for you. I've gotten 2 of my clients cars warrantied through them for the same issue.

You said you own a 2007 Acura TL? So the paint is Nighthawk Black Pearl???

That is strange as most of the cars I've seen have this problem are the 2009+ TLs that are CBP.

Kind of scares me as I own a 08 TL-S that is NHBP (actually all 3 of my cars are NHBP) and I park it outside in the summer... I figured NHBP would be exempt from this problem.

Alex is a great detailer too, he might not have any Acuras but he has lots of experience working on them. Especially black ones!

This is his site
http://attentivtodetailz.com/

Thanks for the referral Alex It seems like most here are loyal to Wes though.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have a crystal black pearl 2010 RDX detailed by brianch @ alpha auto spa. I also had this exact problem with the crows feet. I had it on my whole hood, roof and fenders. He told me about it and helped me get the warranty for the repainted. Acura repainted it for me. He didn't charge me for the work already done as i had to get the car warrantied. I will be going back this summer to have him redo the entire car + opticoat.

I recommend him if you are in the GTA. I had a good experience and he was very honest and professional.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WesR is the best I think.
Look him up, friends had S2K, 335, M3s to get detail from him

Highly recommanded!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ej6sliver
WesR is the best I think.
Look him up, friends had S2K, 335, M3s to get detail from him

Highly recommanded!

I would not highly recommend him.

He may do good work for shows, but not for average customer.

Didn't mask crevices, ignores me after payment, and I would just in general be wary of anyone who refuses to be watched while doing the work.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
blah!

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
I would not highly recommend him.

He may do good work for shows, but not for average customer.

Didn't mask crevices, ignores me after payment, and I would just in general be wary of anyone who refuses to be watched while doing the work.
from what I know he works in an open warehouse so there really is nowhere for you to sit. that might be one of the reasons he doesnt want people to watch.

another reason is that there are some cars stored there that aren't his. so i guess if anything were to happen to them if you were there he would be liable. just throwing ideas out there.

you end up repainting that hood?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea If I were you I wouldn't let a " detailer " , perform any work without me being present. I wouldn't be non stop chatting to him or hovering over him, just watching , leaving, checking in....seeing the process.....

I used to detail at a shop and I always allowed people to watch and I would show them the improvements and give tips on maintenance etc.....

Just like a " mechanic " who doesn't allow customers to watch... Sometimes....something's up....

And lastly for Wes_R to not respond to you is VERY unprofessional
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 AM
4th Gear

4drviper, like Brian and myself offered, if you need assistance with the car we can help. Cheers.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLOHTL
Yea If I were you I wouldn't let a " detailer " , perform any work without me being present. I wouldn't be non stop chatting to him or hovering over him, just watching , leaving, checking in....seeing the process.....

I used to detail at a shop and I always allowed people to watch and I would show them the improvements and give tips on maintenance etc.....

Just like a " mechanic " who doesn't allow customers to watch... Sometimes....something's up....

And lastly for Wes_R to not respond to you is VERY unprofessional

Ah yes, but I'm over it. I learned to never let a mechanic touch my car unless he knows me first, so I started doing maintenance myself. Time to go out and buy a random orbit DA polisher haha.

4drviper, like Brian and myself offered, if you need assistance with the car we can help. Cheers.

Thanks you two, but I left Canada