AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Canada (https://acurazine.com/forums/canada-322/)
-   -   Brakes and Rotors for a 2013 Acura ZDX? (https://acurazine.com/forums/canada-322/brakes-rotors-2013-acura-zdx-929670/)

MyBlackBeauty 04-21-2015 02:34 PM

Brakes and Rotors for a 2013 Acura ZDX?

Hello Everyone
I have a 2013 Acura ZDX with 71,000 kms on it and it's time to get the brakes and rotors replaced. The Acura dealership quoted $1254. Midas quoted $930. A local dealership quoted $711 but I am unsure about the workmanship and parts.
If anyone has done their brakes and rotors on a ZDX/MDX and can advise on how much it costed and where it was done and how satisfied they are from the work done, it would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

guitarplayer16 04-21-2015 06:15 PM

1. Wow you've done a lot of driving.
2. Glad you still have it. I remember a thread a while back that you wanted to get rid of it.

If you buy OEM brake parts, you know you're getting the same parts that came with the car when it was brand new.

You'd have to question Midas about what parts they will be using.

As for labour, a brake job is pretty cheap if you go to an indy shop, which most people do.

I paid $90 to get my rotors and pads replaced.

MyBlackBeauty 04-22-2015 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 15411045)
1. Wow you've done a lot of driving.
2. Glad you still have it. I remember a thread a while back that you wanted to get rid of it.

If you buy OEM brake parts, you know you're getting the same parts that came with the car when it was brand new.

You'd have to question Midas about what parts they will be using.

As for labour, a brake job is pretty cheap if you go to an indy shop, which most people do.

I paid $90 to get my rotors and pads replaced.

Acura is charging $500 in labor for the front and rear brakes and rotors. Midas uses their own parts.
Indy shop will order third party parts from his supplier, the brand he said was Wagner. And his labor was $120 for front and rear discounted from $160. Another Indy wanted $180.

Where did you pay $90? Was it front and rear? Which car was it for?

justnspace 04-22-2015 07:51 AM

dealers will ALWAYS mark up their labor cost, because the normal person thinks changing out brake pads and rotors is a hard job, when in reality it doesnt take long and is VERY easy to do.
they will charge $500-600 because they can and get away with it.

wagner is a great aftermarket brand that are based off of stock parts.
rest assured you will be able to stop just as great with the Wagner pads and rotors as OEM pads and rotors.

if I were you, i'd head to the indy shop as $120 in labor isnt that far off from what I charge.

MyBlackBeauty 04-22-2015 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15411492)
dealers will ALWAYS mark up their labor cost, because the normal person thinks changing out brake pads and rotors is a hard job, when in reality it doesnt take long and is VERY easy to do.

rest assured you will be able to stop just as great with the Wagner pads and rotors as OEM pads and rotors.

if I were you, i'd head to the indy shop as $120 in labor isnt that far off from what I charge.

Wagner parts aren't exactly cheap. Wagner pads are rotors are only $114 cheaper than the OEM. I'm debating picking up OEM parts and getting the Indy to replace them.

Do you have a shop?

Where are you located? I'm in Caledon, ON.

MyBlackBeauty 04-22-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15411492)

Part source recommended Qualis rotors. What's your input?

guitarplayer16 04-22-2015 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by MyBlackBeauty (Post 15411478)
Acura is charging $500 in labor for the front and rear brakes and rotors. Midas uses their own parts.
Indy shop will order third party parts from his supplier, the brand he said was Wagner. And his labor was $120 for front and rear discounted from $160. Another Indy wanted $180.

Where did you pay $90? Was it front and rear? Which car was it for?

I paid my personal mechanic who works from home, and used to work at a shop. I'm from ottawa.

$90 labour, front and rear rotor and pads replaced.
Parts I supplied my own.
Head to Canadian Tire and buy Wagner from them, or go to NAPA and ask about their parts, as I know parts from there are good, too.

I have a 2004 TL, but the labour process is the same for your ZDX.

MyBlackBeauty 04-22-2015 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16 (Post 15411760)
I paid my personal mechanic who works from home, and used to work at a shop. I'm from ottawa.

$90 labour, front and rear rotor and pads replaced.
Parts I supplied my own.
Head to Canadian Tire and buy Wagner from them, or go to NAPA and ask about their parts, as I know parts from there are good, too.

I have a 2004 TL, but the labour process is the same for your ZDX.

Did you use Wagner pads and rotors? How much did the parts cost you?

guitarplayer16 04-22-2015 02:49 PM

I bought them off Brakemotive, he used to be a vendor on here.

Cost me 291.38 CAD.

Price for pads and rotors were $161.30 USD.
Price for shipping was $115 USD.

MyBlackBeauty 09-14-2015 05:14 PM

I ended up buying the OEM brakes and got them installed from a local mechanic who charged me only $120.