2004 acura EL premium starts fine sometimes then doesn't start sometimes

Old 05-22-2016, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 acura EL premium starts fine sometimes then doesn't start sometimes

Hello having some starting issues with my 2004 acura El premium Canadian model.

Sometime it starts right up no problems then sometimes it wont start it just cranks over but won't fire up it will take a few key turns to get it too start when it dose that then it runs rough for 2 sec then it's fine like nothing happened or was wrong.

today was about 25 Celsius pretty hot in Ontario today. It wouldn't start 4 times after i shut the car off today when i was out took about 3 or 5 key turn to make the car start up after but then sometimes it would just start up like their was no starting problem.

Then i was at the gas station filling up took about 10 mins to getting the car to start after i put gas into it would just crank over it would not firing up then bam it started went home shut the car off tryed to restart it it just started up no problem even know 5 mins ago it wouldn't start at the gas station?

Iv be doing some research and found that few acuras that are doing this have bad cranked soders in the relay under stearing wheel that control the fuel pump.

Could this relay be causing my starting problem to not start sometime then the car starts just fine sometimes & is the relay in the same spot as the acura cl under the stearing wheel or is it in a different spot cause its a 2004 acura el premium Canadian model.

thanks alot I don't know where to post stuff since their's no spot for acura el modles!

would like to hear what what people think of this problem.

is this the common relay problem under the strearing wheele?

thanks alot
Old 05-22-2016, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

Anybody?
Old 03-29-2019, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear

i know this is an old thread, but i just wanted to share what I did to fix a similar issue with my 2003 Acura 1.7EL.
I had issues as well where i could start the car up and it would idle, but then it would drop RPM and almost stall, then would rev up to 2k rpm, then back down, and would do this for about 3 min, then would run fine, could also be driving and all of the sudden it would just drop out, like it was not getting enough fuel. My check engine light was on, so i threw a code reader on it, and was throwing code p0131/p0132 which had about a dozen possibilities of what it could be, but 2 key ones which stood out was low pressure to fuel pump and O2 sensor bank 1 (upstream of catalytic converter), I changed the O2 sensor and then unhooked the battery for 5 min, then fired it up, has been running like a dream since, From what I researched there are other things that can cause the engine to run rough, 1 is the IAC (idle control valve) being dirty, Some cars also have MAF (mass air flow) sensor, there is also the fuel pump itself which the filter and strainer are in the gas tank, pull the back seat and you can gain access to that. Ignition coils could be mis firing or could be the fuel pressure sensor.

There are sensors everywhere in these cars. always start with using a code reader if the problem is not obvious, and start there to resolve the issue, it may be a simple fix, took me all of 15 minutes to swap out the sensor, little bit of 3 in 1 penetrating oil and o2 sensor wrench and 80 cad for a new sensor and i was good.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Justin Thomas
i know this is an old thread, but i just wanted to share what I did to fix a similar issue with my 2003 Acura 1.7EL.
I had issues as well where i could start the car up and it would idle, but then it would drop RPM and almost stall, then would rev up to 2k rpm, then back down, and would do this for about 3 min, then would run fine, could also be driving and all of the sudden it would just drop out, like it was not getting enough fuel. My check engine light was on, so i threw a code reader on it, and was throwing code p0131/p0132 which had about a dozen possibilities of what it could be, but 2 key ones which stood out was low pressure to fuel pump and O2 sensor bank 1 (upstream of catalytic converter), I changed the O2 sensor and then unhooked the battery for 5 min, then fired it up, has been running like a dream since, From what I researched there are other things that can cause the engine to run rough, 1 is the IAC (idle control valve) being dirty, Some cars also have MAF (mass air flow) sensor, there is also the fuel pump itself which the filter and strainer are in the gas tank, pull the back seat and you can gain access to that. Ignition coils could be mis firing or could be the fuel pressure sensor.

There are sensors everywhere in these cars. always start with using a code reader if the problem is not obvious, and start there to resolve the issue, it may be a simple fix, took me all of 15 minutes to swap out the sensor, little bit of 3 in 1 penetrating oil and o2 sensor wrench and 80 cad for a new sensor and i was good.

problem was fixed was the sensor by the top head by the rad hose