Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Website Critique

Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Website Critique

I think I'm finally ready to put this out there for critique. I've got an ad going live on the The Knot next week, so I should probably make sure all my duckies are in a row. I keep finding things to tweak here and there, but I think I've been looking at it enough to have lost all sense of objectivity.

SO...if anyone has a little time to peek around, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I surely don't expect anyone to dig through all the photos, but if you have a chance to read the text in the About and Investment sections, as well as critique the general appearance, flow, usability, all that shtuff...

Thank you!!

http://www.moxiephotos.com
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, D, the site looks great. I've seen quite a few of your photos before, and the ones I saw there today look as good now as they did then.

In the "About" section, I like how you break the various "genres" of photography down and address them individually. I think that works very well, and should answer a lot of questions people have about what kind of shooting you do. I do have one comment. I think it would be more effective if you spoke about yourself in the first person, as opposed to the third, in the last "A Bit about Dancer Spence" section. You do it in other parts of the page, and I think it works well to personalize things. Just a thought.

The Investment page works well also, and I think your prices are very competitive. It also looks like you offer pretty much a full-service package of options, which should appeal to people looking for specific print options, etc.

All in all, the site looks to be very well laid out and appealing visually, and the text portions are well-written and clear, which isn't all that common sometimes. I'll peruse more of the site as I have time.

Good luck with the fledgling business!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The Knot, as in Hangman's Knot?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Very nice Dancer...
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some comments which I won't have time to write until later this evening or over the weekend. What I will say for now is that most of my comments would essentially echo some things I've heard Zack Arias state in the critique videos that he and his wife do on Zack's blog.

If you've never seen any of these before I might suggest you spend some time watching them. I'll give you fair warning that they're completely informal and are likely to make you roll your eyes or flat get pissed off in some sections. But if you spend the time to watch more than one or two of them, I think you'll find them valuable to one degree or another.

http://www.zarias.com/?cat=82
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by waTSX
Hey, D, the site looks great. I've seen quite a few of your photos before, and the ones I saw there today look as good now as they did then.

In the "About" section, I like how you break the various "genres" of photography down and address them individually. I think that works very well, and should answer a lot of questions people have about what kind of shooting you do. I do have one comment. I think it would be more effective if you spoke about yourself in the first person, as opposed to the third, in the last "A Bit about Dancer Spence" section. You do it in other parts of the page, and I think it works well to personalize things. Just a thought.

The Investment page works well also, and I think your prices are very competitive. It also looks like you offer pretty much a full-service package of options, which should appeal to people looking for specific print options, etc.

All in all, the site looks to be very well laid out and appealing visually, and the text portions are well-written and clear, which isn't all that common sometimes. I'll peruse more of the site as I have time.

Good luck with the fledgling business!
Thank you so much for the detailed critique! I agree about the 3rd person - I used to have the whole site in 3rd, and have been gradually changing it. Thanks for that, I'll re-write!

Thank you!!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
The Knot, as in Hangman's Knot?
May as well be! :P

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Very nice Dancer...
Thank you, Warren.

Originally Posted by Billiam
I have some comments which I won't have time to write until later this evening or over the weekend. What I will say for now is that most of my comments would essentially echo some things I've heard Zack Arias state in the critique videos that he and his wife do on Zack's blog.

If you've never seen any of these before I might suggest you spend some time watching them. I'll give you fair warning that they're completely informal and are likely to make you roll your eyes or flat get pissed off in some sections. But if you spend the time to watch more than one or two of them, I think you'll find them valuable to one degree or another.

http://www.zarias.com/?cat=82
I haven't come across him yet - I'll check them out. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just took a quick look and have a few comments. Take them for what they're worth:
1. The main page should give more information about Moxie Photos. As it is now, it's mainly a slide show but doesn't get the main point of your site across - to hire you as a photographer.
2. I would either combine the gallery links to a "Gallery" section where they could choose which gallery they want to view, or add more information about the services you offer for each type of images within the gallery - I hope that makes sense.
3. Not sure about the "Investments" title. To me that seems like you are asking them to invest in your business rather than hiring a photographer.

Your images are good. The overall concept is good. I just think a little more organizational tweaks could help out a bit.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM

A couple more comments on packages and pricing:

- For weddings, you might want to consider more "packages" at different price points (i.e. with album, large canvan prints, etc.)
- I would also mention that some retouching would be done (since it is specifically mentioned under "Portraits").
- You might also want to throw in a couple of 5x7 and/or 8x10 prints for your base package.
- You probably want to extend the time you host the images from portrait sessions. Is there a time limit for the wedding gallery?
- When you mouse-over on the images on the Investment page, it shifts/repaginates some text. I don't know how/if you can fix this, but I'd try. Nothing major, though.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
It looks good - I can just say great site and be done with it, but I am going to provide some criticisms. Take it as just one guys opinion... And this guy is not a pro.

- it leaves me somewhat confused - is it a gallery, or is it a photographers services website? I see someone who takes really nice pictures but it doesn't focus much on the services you provide.
- in line with that I actually think you have too many pictures. You start browsing the galleries and get lost in images and forget why you are there.
- the locked galleries are distracting - I understand why you do it, but again it distracts from what I *think* you are trying to accomplish - sell your services.
- too many different fonts - on any page I count 4. This is a pet peeve of mine and again only represents my opinion

If I were to recommend something I would try to separate it into 2 things and 2 purposes. First, sell your services - tease me with a few of your stunning photos like your . Make me want to meet with you to learn more. Your "Home" does that - it made me want to click, but then I just saw galleries of more stunning photos. When I click on Art Photography I expected some text, stories of your motivations - stuff that engages me to YOU, not just your photos.
Have a gallery there, but make it more subtle. If you walk into an art gallery they have maybe a dozen pieces there that are featured. The binder full of stuff is on the table beside the mints... You have to look for it.

All that being said... I like the About and Investment page - well laid out and clear.

Sorry, it is good. But could be better.

:flamesuiton:
Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by moeronn
I just took a quick look and have a few comments. Take them for what they're worth:
1. The main page should give more information about Moxie Photos. As it is now, it's mainly a slide show but doesn't get the main point of your site across - to hire you as a photographer.
2. I would either combine the gallery links to a "Gallery" section where they could choose which gallery they want to view, or add more information about the services you offer for each type of images within the gallery - I hope that makes sense.
3. Not sure about the "Investments" title. To me that seems like you are asking them to invest in your business rather than hiring a photographer.

Your images are good. The overall concept is good. I just think a little more organizational tweaks could help out a bit.
1) The bare bones, simple look of the home page is deliberate. I want a clean cover that speaks for itself through the images. I wonder if maybe I should make "About" the first tab, though and rearrange the others a bit? Perhaps adding a simple line of text on the home page like "Wedding, Lifestyle, and Equestrian Photographer?" Is that what you mean - something that just spells out what I offer without browsing?

2) You know, I've actually been thinking I need to restructure the entire gallery layout. Something more along the lines of a Proofing tab where all the private portrait and wedding galleries will live and a Portfolio tab that has galleries for Wedding, Equestrian, and Portraits. I think Art may still need it's own separate section, but maybe I'll make that the last tab...would that organization be more intuitive?

I totally agree, though, that as it's grown it's become a little sprawling and doesn't quite make me happy as it's currently organized. Thank you for spelling that out!

The "Investment" nomenclature seems pretty standard on lifestyle and wedding portrait sites in similar markets, though I agree it's a little odd. I'll think about that one, and look around at some of the photogs whose work I admire.

Thank you!!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Earth-bound misfit

A couple more comments on packages and pricing:

- For weddings, you might want to consider more "packages" at different price points (i.e. with album, large canvan prints, etc.)
- I would also mention that some retouching would be done (since it is specifically mentioned under "Portraits").
- You might also want to throw in a couple of 5x7 and/or 8x10 prints for your base package.
- You probably want to extend the time you host the images from portrait sessions. Is there a time limit for the wedding gallery?
- When you mouse-over on the images on the Investment page, it shifts/repaginates some text. I don't know how/if you can fix this, but I'd try. Nothing major, though.
My wedding pricing is definitely a work in progress! Yes, I need to add the retouching, for sure - thanks!
The time of image hosting for portraits is actually twice as long as most photogs in my market. Can you believe that?? In researching the business side of things, I've learned that it's to force the orders. Apparently, if people don't order in the first 7-10 days, enthusiasm wanes and sales drop substantially. I should add in there that hosting can be extended for a fee. I don't want to be a total hardass, as some of the photogs in this area come across - charging 75-100/week to extend hosting, but I have to balance being "nice" being a good business person. :/ I'm thinking I'll put that in as $25 per week to extend.

Wedding galleries will stay up for a year. I'm charging enough on the front end to not rely on print sales. I did forget to include that in the text - thanks again!

I HATE that text pop up when you mouse over. I'll look into it, I'm sure there's a way to make it go away.

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
nnInn

It is nice and clean. Best part, no music.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by JLatimer
It looks good - I can just say great site and be done with it, but I am going to provide some criticisms. Take it as just one guys opinion... And this guy is not a pro.

- it leaves me somewhat confused - is it a gallery, or is it a photographers services website? I see someone who takes really nice pictures but it doesn't focus much on the services you provide.
- in line with that I actually think you have too many pictures. You start browsing the galleries and get lost in images and forget why you are there.
- the locked galleries are distracting - I understand why you do it, but again it distracts from what I *think* you are trying to accomplish - sell your services.
- too many different fonts - on any page I count 4. This is a pet peeve of mine and again only represents my opinion

If I were to recommend something I would try to separate it into 2 things and 2 purposes. First, sell your services - tease me with a few of your stunning photos like your . Make me want to meet with you to learn more. Your "Home" does that - it made me want to click, but then I just saw galleries of more stunning photos. When I click on Art Photography I expected some text, stories of your motivations - stuff that engages me to YOU, not just your photos.
Have a gallery there, but make it more subtle. If you walk into an art gallery they have maybe a dozen pieces there that are featured. The binder full of stuff is on the table beside the mints... You have to look for it.

All that being said... I like the About and Investment page - well laid out and clear.

Sorry, it is good. But could be better.

:flamesuiton:
No flame suit necessary!! I asked, and I was sincere. Thank you for your honest input.

I agree with your first point about the gallery layout - I think you're in step with what Moe was saying there. I'll work on that! It will move all the locked galleries to on place, and I'll pull some photos from those who have given me permission to put in a portrait gallery similar to the wedding gallery I have set up. I agree that it's confusing.

Fonts: Okay, there are only 3 on the first page, but I get your point. The footer was an oversight - something I haven't looked at since the very beginning. Thank you, I'll change that!

And thank you for the rest. I'll think about what I can do with the Art section..how I can pare it down or move things a bit. While I don't think it's a bad thing to get lost in the images, I do see your point!

Thanks, again!

I have some work ahead of me!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
It is nice and clean. Best part, no music.
Gracias. I always have to mute my computer when someone has music on. That or it clashes with what I already have going on iTunes. Drives me
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Footer is fixed! That was easy...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
1) The bare bones, simple look of the home page is deliberate. I want a clean cover that speaks for itself through the images. I wonder if maybe I should make "About" the first tab, though and rearrange the others a bit? Perhaps adding a simple line of text on the home page like "Wedding, Lifestyle, and Equestrian Photographer?" Is that what you mean - something that just spells out what I offer without browsing?

2) You know, I've actually been thinking I need to restructure the entire gallery layout. Something more along the lines of a Proofing tab where all the private portrait and wedding galleries will live and a Portfolio tab that has galleries for Wedding, Equestrian, and Portraits. I think Art may still need it's own separate section, but maybe I'll make that the last tab...would that organization be more intuitive?

I totally agree, though, that as it's grown it's become a little sprawling and doesn't quite make me happy as it's currently organized. Thank you for spelling that out!

The "Investment" nomenclature seems pretty standard on lifestyle and wedding portrait sites in similar markets, though I agree it's a little odd. I'll think about that one, and look around at some of the photogs whose work I admire.

Thank you!!
1) Yes - I would also focus the slideshow on your portrait/wedding/equestrian images with less of the art side. Of course, it really depends on what market you're mainly targeting.
2) Yes

On one hand I can see wanting to stay in-line with what other photogs in the market are doing. On the other, maybe some differentiation is good?

The time limit on the galleries is actually a good idea. I never really thought of it like that. You just have to factor in the time you need to process and upload.

You're off to a good start and some minor changes will go a long way. Once you make the updates, you might also want to post on POTN or other photo forums for additional feedback. Good luck!!

BTW - who would be your second shooter?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Earth-bound misfit

1) Yes - I would also focus the slideshow on your portrait/wedding/equestrian images with less of the art side. Of course, it really depends on what market you're mainly targeting.
I know you're right. I've culled a ton of art images from it already, but haven't been able to bring myself to scuttle them all. I actually just purchased www.moxieweddings.com - eventually I want to make a separate site for weddings if it goes well. So, I KNOW you're right. Darnit. I hate when you're right.

2) Yes
I'll work on it, for sure.

On one hand I can see wanting to stay in-line with what other photogs in the market are doing. On the other, maybe some differentiation is good?
'Tis true... Maybe something like "Fork it Over!"??

The time limit on the galleries is actually a good idea. I never really thought of it like that. You just have to factor in the time you need to process and upload.
Absolutely. The time will start when the gallery is complete.
You're off to a good start and some minor changes will go a long way. Once you make the updates, you might also want to post on POTN or other photo forums for additional feedback. Good luck!!

BTW - who would be your second shooter?
The wedding photog I've second shot for has offered to do the same for me, if needed. We're forming a bit of an informal partnership. She's new to weddings, too, but is very talented. Jeff has also offered to help out, which I'd love to take him up on.
Thank you!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Tis true... Maybe something like "Fork it Over!"??
"All your images are belong to us."
Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Jason Alexander: I love it, love it, love it!

Looks great!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Can I ask for nudes?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Jason Alexander: I love it, love it, love it!

Looks great!
Thank you!
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Can I ask for nudes?
I'll ask that you at least wear a fig leaf.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Yikes.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Took a very quick look at some of the site.

Congrats on all of the hard work and all of the great opportunities that have come your way in such a short period of time!

General things I like about ANY website (just so you know where I'm coming from): Simple, easy to navigate, fast to find what you want, clean to look at and browse through.

My thoughts, ideas, and suggestions after a quick look:

-- I would put "About Me"/"About Moxie Photos" after the "Home" tab instead of towards the end.

-- I would move the blurb about "Dancer and Moxie" to the top of the "About Me" page rather than listing everything you do and then talking about who you are. Who you are + what you do kind of blend...but I prefer to read the personal blurb about you and the company first.

-- Have you considered a "Contact Info" or "Contact Me" tab so that people don't have to browse through the non-gallery tabs to find where you list your contact info?

-- In "About Moxie Photos" - under the Custom Portraiture section....fix the word "clock" at the end of your 2nd paragraph. It wraps all the way to the left, beneath your image and is the only word there from that sentence/paragraph.

-- Maybe make one tab entitled "Galleries" or "Portfolio" and throw 3 or 4 rows of thumbnails of each type of photography you do (with a header for each) so browsing of sample pics is quick and easy instead of going through numerous galleries and sub-galleries. You can always think of including an "Additional Equestrian Photos" button, for example, or something at the end of that 'section' of thumbnails for people who want to browse more of that type of photography....but always include a 'Back to Galleries' button that takes you back to the main galleries page. I hate having to hit 'back' numerous times on my browser or having to hit the main tab again and having to navigate through pages all over again when I want to browse a different area of the gallery. **Note that I haven't actually browsed your galleries yet - but saw you had many sub-galleries listed with a thumbnail off your main pages.

-- Put some of your favs in your Portfolio section and save the others as pics to rotate through when you want to change it up a bit or use them for your print portfolio when you meet with potential clients. No need to post so many online.

-- Personally, I don't like slideshows...but know others do. I like thumbnails or larger sized pics that allow you to enlarge and then click "Back"/"Next" as you browse the larger versions. I just always find slideshows are either too fast or too slow (even though I know you can adjust some) when I just want a quick overview of all the pics or just the ones that interest me based on the reasonable-sized thumbnails. IMO, it's a fast way for people to see whether or not your style meshes with what they're looking for without too much fuss.

-- Perhaps to lessen the large amount of separate galleries, consider making a separate area/tab for customers who have locked/password protected galleries so they can easily and quickly log-in and other people browsing don't see locked galleries while browsing your portfolio - wanting to look through them along with your public pics. Some make it a hidden tab and simply email the customer the URL once their photos are up so it's not visible at all to the general public.

-- I don't like that the tab is titled "Investment." Personally, I like "Pricing" or "Services" or "Packages."

-- For potential clients, make sure you have a page of references and referrals that they can contact if they want to follow up before hiring you. It's not something you need to post online or blatantly throw at people, but is good to have handy for if they ask. If you really did want to add a tab...something like "What they Say" or "Customer Feedback" or a few blurbs at the end of "About Me" can be a way to highlight positive feedback somewhere.

**I am not a web designer, nor advertising and marketing person...but just some personal thoughts after a quick browse through the main sections of your site.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
nnInn

Thank you!

I'll ask that you at least wear a fig leaf.
Green Tea leaf
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 PM

wndr - edited my post a little after re-reading it....but only a few details.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Thank you for taking the time!

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Took a very quick look at some of the site.

Congrats on all of the hard work and all of the great opportunities that have come your way in such a short period of time!
Thank you!
General things I like about ANY website (just so you know where I'm coming from): Simple, easy to navigate, fast to find what you want, clean to look at
and browse through.

My thoughts, ideas, and suggestions after a quick look:

-- I would put "About Me"/"About Moxie Photos" after the "Home" tab instead of towards the end.
After some of the other pointers above and my own continuing dissatisfaction with the general structure, I'll be re-doing the entire structure of the galleries. Stand by!
-- I would move the blurb about "Dancer and Moxie" to the top of the "About Me" page rather than listing everything you do and then talking about who you are. Who you are + what you do kind of blend...but I prefer to read the personal blurb about you and the company first.
Done. I'm not sure I prefer it that way, but I'll sit with it a bit and see if I can take it. It's not about me, after all, it's about you, the viewer!
-- Have you considered a "Contact Info" or "Contact Me" tab so that people don't have to browse through the non-gallery tabs to find where you list your contact info?
Yes, but hadn't settled on it, yet. I'll add one.
-- In "About Moxie Photos" - under the Custom Portraiture section....fix the word "clock" at the end of your 2nd paragraph. It wraps all the way to the left, beneath your image and is the only word there from that sentence/paragraph.
The galleries display slightly differently depending on your display size and settings. For me, half of the sentence is below the photo. Maybe I can edit it down a bit to be prettier for the majority of viewers.

-- Maybe make one tab entitled "Galleries" or "Portfolio" and throw 3 or 4 rows of thumbnails of each type of photography you do (with a header for each) so browsing of sample pics is quick and easy instead of going through numerous galleries and sub-galleries. You can always think of including an "Additional Equestrian Photos" button, for example, or something at the end of that 'section' of thumbnails for people who want to browse more of that type of photography....but always include a 'Back to Galleries' button that takes you back to the main galleries page. I hate having to hit 'back' numerous times on my browser or having to hit the main tab again and having to navigate through pages all over again when I want to browse a different area of the gallery. **Note that I haven't actually browsed your galleries yet - but saw you had many sub-galleries listed with a thumbnail off your main pages.
This is the re-structuring I'll be working on. I'll post an update when I've got it finished to see if the general consensus is that it works better.

As to navigation, the gallery and home buttons are always at the top under the header, and there are breadcrumbs (e.g."MoxiePhotos>Art>Flora")at the top left of every gallery to navigate back to whichever tier you're looking for. Because I agree.

-- Put some of your favs in your Portfolio section and save the others as pics to rotate through when you want to change it up a bit or use them for your print portfolio when you meet with potential clients. No need to post so many online.
For the art stuff, I can pare down the portfolio. It was my original gallery when I first started the site - I don't think I've looked at it since! (I admit I've been neglecting that section of the site as I work on the people stuff...bad me!) I will leave them up in the galleries, though, because it's my store front and they are selling. Slowly, but enough to leave them up.

-- Personally, I don't like slideshows...but know others do. I like thumbnails or larger sized pics that allow you to enlarge and then click "Back"/"Next" as you browse the larger versions. I just always find slideshows are either too fast or too slow (even though I know you can adjust some) when I just want a quick overview of all the pics or just the ones that interest me based on the reasonable-sized thumbnails. IMO, it's a fast way of people seeing whether or not your style meshes with what they're looking without too much fuss.
There are controls when you mouse over, but I took away the film strip in an effort to make it cleaner. I admit, though, that I've really lost my objectivity - just looking at it too dang much. I put it back in - let me know if you like that better. I also added the speed controls back. I wish I could make it default to "fast," but I haven't figured that out yet (I'll look into it, though). I think the medium speed is too slow. I appreciate you pointing this out - I had intended the home slide show to be exactly that - an overview of my style and types of services offered, but my removal of the film strip took some of its functionality away.

-- Perhaps to lessen the large amount of separate galleries, consider making a separate area/tab for customers who have locked/password protected galleries so they can easily and quickly log-in and other people browsing don't see locked galleries while browsing your portfolio - wanting to look through them along with your public pics.
Yup! Again, part of the re-structuring discussed.
-- I don't like that the tab is titled "Investment." Personally, I like "Pricing" or "Services" or "Packages."
That's 2 votes against - I'll change it.
-- For potential clients, make sure you have a page of references and referrals that they can contact if they want to follow up before hiring you. It's not something you need to post online or blatantly throw at people, but is good to have handy for if they ask. If you really did want to add a tab...something like "What they Say" or "Customer Feedback" or a few blurbs at the end of "About Me" can be a way to highlight positive feedback somewhere.
That's been in the back of mind - to ask if I can quote some people in a feedback type gallery. I'll work on it after I get the bones sorted out.
**I am not a web designer, nor advertising and marketing person...but just some personal thoughts after a quick browse through the main sections of your site.
Thank you!!!

Last edited by wndrlst; 11-06-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
wndr - edited my post a little after re-reading it....but only a few details.
Uh oh...I probably had the 1st one quoted!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Earth-bound misfit

OK, time to quit being a bad girlfriend for the night. Thank you all for the wonderful input and for taking the time to write it out. I'm so grateful!

Happily, I'm shooting all day tomorrow and have plans tomorrow night, so don't think I'm ignoring your suggestions, I just won't have time to implement them for a day or 2...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM

-- I would take out the "gallery comments" at the bottom of your page and instead (if you decide) save a few great quotes from clients that you can post somewhere appropriate, if at all/now/later on down the road. Having random comments and star ratings on the bottom just makes it look like a forum or user-rating website rather than a professional site.

-- In "About Moxie Photos": If you don't like the "A Bit About Dancer..." blurb coming before listing the services you offer - another thought might be to just re-name the tab "Services" or "What We Do".....List the different types of photography you do (like you have), and then put your short paragraph "A Bit About Dancer...." or "How Moxie Came to Be" at the very bottom (ermm..as you had it before). Right now, it's only a short paragraph about yourself anyway, so most of the tab is actually not "about you" but about what you offer...

I don't feel like I'm making any sense...I'm losing it.

-- Also in "About Moxie Photos" tab: The paragraph you call "Services..." - with your suggestions to contact you with any questions - seems rather random. I would put that in your "Contact Info" section as a little blurb rather than here. IMO, the type of photos you take is what people are really looking for in the current tab. If anything, don't list it as the second paragraph.

Remember, I'm only making personal suggestions (some of which I'm no longer even understanding) ....so take it all with a grain of salt. It's really only when you see consistent suggestions that perhaps it should weigh a little more on your mind. I'm just a tired, nobody-special.

EDIT: Just saw your response about having lots of prints up because they are for sale. My comment about having a lot up was just in general/in each section, not just about the Art section. Maybe make a "Art Prints for Sale" or "Moxie Originals for Sale" or "Moxie Prints for Sale"-type tab so it is very obvious to new site viewers that you are actually selling your art and not just advertising that you take photos for hire. Admittedly, I didn't click on the Art link in detail to know that from the site...just thought the tab was more portfolio examples. So maybe call your gallery stuff "Portfolio" or "Gallery" and the sale stuff "Prints for Sale" so people know the difference...? You can also list it somewhere in written form...that not only are you available for commission, but you also have prints for sale. Not sure if/where that can be worked in, or if you want to.

so nevermind.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 PM
now with four rings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i haven't read thru every detail everyone up above has posted, so pardon any duplicate comments...

1. i honestly didn't even notice your navigation until maybe 30 seconds after hitting your home page...and i do this stuff for a living. you want things to be noticeable, but not obnoxious, so if it were me, i would definitely work on a more noticeable navigation.

2. your search field is way off the page on every page of your site it shows up on (not lined up with everything else...it's aligned to the left when everything else is centered). do this (remove the period after the initial < sign):

I. find this element:
Code:
<.div id="mysearch">
II. replace it with this:
Code:
<.div id="mysearch" style="margin: auto; width: 750px;">
that will keep your search box lined up with your content, regardless of the user's window

3. your logo/top banner extends across my whole screen, yet the majority of it is black space...so when i roll my mouse over the top of your site, it brings up the pointer (hand) icon even tho i'm clicking on nothing.

pretty good job and good luck to you!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Earth-bound misfit

What you say does make sense! I do have a written section about the Art photos being for sale as prints on archival paper or canvas in the "About" section, but I'll make sure it's clear & coherent. Thanks

I think I'm in the same boat as you! I think my gallery re-organization will make a lot of things more clear. I think it's a good thing I'm about to get really busy with some other things for a bit - it'll force me to step back before I go Oh wait.....
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm sure improvements can always be made, but I like it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Earth-bound misfit

^Thank you.

OK, I've made the structural changes I had in mind, and added in a bit more info in the wedding pricing section. Also changed the "Investments" title. I still have some tweaks to make here and there, but they'll have to wait.

I took down the Art Portfolio, though I may add one in to the Portfolio section of the site that is more trimmed down and includes more recent work. According to google analytics that folder got a lot of traffic, but I need to implement it better. I've left some art shots in the Home slideshow, but I've put them at the end and taken away the randomize option, so it will focus on the weddings and portraits, and only the die-hards will see the art if they stick around for the whole dang thing.

I feel like "About" includes information "about" what I do, so I didn't change that title - I don't intend it as just about me but about services. I'm open to hearing more opinions on that, though, so please chime in if you have one.

The reorganization included making portfolios specific to portraits, weddings, and equestrian shooting - all in a portfolio tab with subcategories. All the individual galleries are in a "Client Galleries" section that also is subcategorized.

If any of you have the time, I'd very much appreciate input on these changes. Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Oh yeah, two more questions..filmstrip at the bottom of the home page or no??

Also, opinions on adding text on the home page along the lines of "Wedding, lifestyle, and equestrian photographer serving the DC metro area," or let them navigate to the About tab?

Gracias.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Me likes it!

I do think you should add the text to the main page. Also, pretty soon I think you're going to need a business phone and post the number.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Me likes it!

I do think you should add the text to the main page. Also, pretty soon I think you're going to need a business phone and post the number.
Cool - thanks for re-looking! And can I say...I hope you're right!?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Still seeing the Search box to the far left and I'm not sure about user comments being displayed or even allowing comments in general. Like SS said, it conveys more of a forum feel to the page. I also think a Contact Us page would help. Maybe with something about the area you serve.

Other than that, I think it looks great. Your photo's speak for themselves. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Thanks for looking, Dom. The searchbox allows keyword searching limited to my site. I mention it briefly in the about page, but I'm not sure it gets much use. If the consensus is that it needs to go, I'll ditch it.

I'll add a Contact page (thanks for the reminder!) and re-iterate my service area on it. I agree that it can't be listed too many times. I know I get frustrated when I can't find that information on other websites.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply: Website Critique