AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Cameras & Photography (https://acurazine.com/forums/cameras-photography-44/)
-   -   Replacing 20d with ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/cameras-photography-44/replacing-20d-953022/)

CLpower 12-31-2016 07:57 PM

Replacing 20d with ?

Looking to replace my 20D. Want something with wifi but also don't want to spend a butt load. Trying to decide why I don't want a t6 vs picking up a 70 or 80d

jupitersolo 12-31-2016 09:24 PM

Need to look at the difference of the bodies you mention. Will they do what you want the to do. Also best to hold them in your hands, too small or too big.

SamDoe1 01-03-2017 09:45 AM

What all do you want in a body and how invested are you in the Canon lens system?

CLpower 01-05-2017 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 15927335)
What all do you want in a body and how invested are you in the Canon lens system?

I've got 3-4 lenses already, so i'm invested. I want something htat is better then my 20D and something that is wifi capable. That's about it really. My 20D has always been good to me, but having to then load things onto the laptop has had it collecting dust and me just using my iphone. I guess that doesn't really answer much though

SamDoe1 01-05-2017 10:59 AM

Well if you are planning on transferring things to your computer via wifi...you're going to be a bit disappointed as it's slow and clunky to do it that way especially if you're pushing high MP RAW files. The good part is that newer bodies run SD cards and not CF so that makes them a bit easier to manage since most laptops have a SD card slot built in. The good part of wifi compatibility is tethered shooting (studio) as well as remote control. Other than that, it's kind of a bust.

What lenses do you have specifically and what do you shoot? If you're running low end lenses and stuff I'd recommend just jumping ship (low end lenses aren't worth a ton) from Canon and going to a mirrorless platform instead. They are smaller, lighter, easier to handle, and have every bit of (or more of) the performance that a full size SLR will give you in a much more compact and easy to handle package. The Sony A6000 can be had for ~$600 including kit lens (fantastic camera for the money) or the A6300 can be had for $1k including kit lens and is a bit better. If you are running L series lenses, you can sell them all for a good return and pay for new gear that way. Do you feel like you want to go full frame or stay with APS-C?

That's what I would (and did) do for upgrading.

thoiboi 01-05-2017 11:03 AM

after a 20D i'd stay away from the rebel bodies (t6 etc.)

70d or 80d are worthy contenders but i wouldn't limit my selection to 'wifi connectivity' It sounds neat but i can see all the bottlenecks sam has listed below.

jupitersolo 01-05-2017 11:17 AM

Don't get to hung up on wifi capable. All makers that do it, have a big problem. Files are too big for the poor bandwidth. So you get small files that are only good for post to social media.

Nicks2001tl 01-05-2017 11:28 AM

I just picked up a used 60D. Battery life is excellent and a fun camera to use.

As stated wifi is a cool feature but the reliability is still not at a point where it would make me buy into it.

CLpower 01-06-2017 11:45 AM

thanks for the info guys!!