Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Proposed changes to U.S. copyright law = disaster for photographers

Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proposed changes to U.S. copyright law = disaster for photographers

If you care at all about photographers being entitled to just compensation for their work, then please read up on this issue.

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/03/09/...-orphan-works/

*** Cliff's Notes ***

The Copyright Office issued a report on "orphaned works" which contains language for a proposed ammendment to U.S. Copyright law.

Unlike most other categories of copyrighted works, photographs and illustrations are most commonly published without any copyright notice or credit to the photographer or illustrator. These could be considered "oprhaned works" under the new proposal.

Here's the key...

Under the proposed legislation, a person or other entity who wants to use a copyrighted work is required to make only a “good faith, reasonably diligent search” to locate the copyright owner. If, after making such a search, the user is unable to locate the copyright owner, he/she/it gets an almost free license to use the work. If the copyright owner never comes forward, the user gets to use the work for free. Even if the copyright owner discovers the use and demands payment, the MOST the copyright owner can get is “reasonable compensation,” i.e. a reasonable license fee for the use actually made. There is NO possibility of statutory damages or attorneys’ fees, even if the work was registered before the use was made without your permission.

Wait, it gets worse: If the copyright owner discovers the use and demands payment, “where the infringement is performed without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, such as through the sale of copies or phonorecords of the infringed work, and the infringer ceases the infringement expeditiously after receiving notice of the claim for infringement, no award of monetary relief shall be made.”
Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
So, I see my copyright, signature, or watermarked pic used for a promo. I can only get a "reasonable compensation fee" no matter how much money my work makes whoever is using it? How many people are going to but their name, address and phone number on the picture for a copyright contact?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ That is what's proposed. If you see your work being used and you do nothing about it and you don't respond to the person who is using it who tried to contact you diligently and repeatedly in good faith and that person makes about $1 million from charitable donations from people simply looking at the disturbing pictures before you decide to step in two years later, you can't take $800,000 from him. Makes sense to me.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're missing the point Ken. An overwhelming majority of photographs that are professionally licensed are not credited to the copyright holder. If there is no credit listed, how can the copyright holder be contacted? Even if you contact the publisher of the work that the photo appears in, all you need is some idiot to bury your request or phone message and not respond, and you now basically have infringe at will.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
You're missing the point Ken. An overwhelming majority of photographs that are professionally licensed are not credited to the copyright holder. If there is no credit listed, how can the copyright holder be contacted? Even if you contact the publisher of the work that the photo appears in, all you need is some idiot to bury your request or phone message and not respond, and you now basically have infringe at will.
I guess I'm aware of that. I was just thinking that the proposed changes seeks to protect the folks who are acting in good faith? The copyrights haven't been take away, if you see your work in use, you still have rights. All it does it prevent you from cashing in against someone who acted in good faith and did their due diligence, no? Also I think your rights are still inact if there's some type of abuse or criminal behavior, what is the spirit of the proposed change? When I see the word "orpaned works" that clinches it for me. Kinda like "abandoned property" or "unclaimed money."

I'm just thinking what I would do, if I saw a photo I wanted to use and I sought permission and the publisher said "go ahead" [incorrectly] based on your above example, a year later, the photographer wants money from me? I need the protection....