Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Nikon: News, Rumors and Discussion Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08...perzoom-camera
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/08...consumer-model

can someone tell me what they changed with the Nikon 1 J2? im not seeing it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Photographer on another car forum I frequent posted this. Thought I'd share. If any one is interested I'll give his contact.

Selling my spare Nikon D80 DSLR camera,
camera is in perfect condition.

price includes:
- Nikon D80, 10.2-Mega Pixels DX-Format CCD, 3 fps continuous firing.
- 11point auto focus area, ISO 100 - 1600 up to ISO 3200 with boost (comes with charger)
- Dual battery grip (comes with 1 batter)
- 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor lens or 70-300mm f/5.6 Tele-Macro Tamron lens, the choice is yours.
- 1GB SanDisk memory card
- camera bag

asking $500 OBO
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM

Hmmm android powered coolpix. Interesting.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Nikon Coolpix S800c key specifications

16MP 1/2.3"-type BSI CMOS sensor
25-250mm equivalent F3.2-5.8 lens
3.5" WVGA OLED touchscreen
Android v2.3 operating system
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS
2GB of internal memory (690MB of this for Apps)
Up to 8fps continuous shooting
1080p30 video
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Yes, interesting, but the software will cripple the 16mp. As well as lack of really good apps.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Here's a look at the first app

The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Yes, interesting, but the software will cripple the 16mp. As well as lack of really good apps.
if it's running android it will have access to the play store (at least it should)

Originally Posted by is300eater
Here's a look at the first app

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Mizouse
if it's running android it will have access to the play store (at least it should)
And for photography those apps are shit. And those apps are not built for 16mp images. There are not a lot in the App Store that can handle images that big.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I shoot people

And for photography those apps are shit. And those apps are not built for 16mp images. There are not a lot in the App Store that can handle images that big.
I'm pretty sure the wifi transfer will NOT be in full res anyway... The purpose of this is for people to upload photos to Facebook, Photobucket, Flickr or Instagram etc etc when wifi connectivity is available.

Before buying my Sony NEX-5N I actually picked up a Samsung P&S (used/cheap) because I wanted something lite. It has wifi capability... and it works great with my Galaxy Nexus... there's a few neat features like using the Galaxy Nexus' screen to view/control (as a remote, so like for group photos).

Yes, it's gimmicky, but have I used the wannabe tether/wireless remote thing? -No...
Have I uploaded photos to Photobucket on the fly (using my Galaxy Nexus' hotspot to connect). -Yes...
Is this more marketing than anything else? -YES

I'm sure Nikon will do something similar, but with Samsung there's also like a free "cloud" service... you upload all the photos there in case you ever lose the SD card or even the camera (but again, I'm pretty sure it's NOT in full res because it would take forever to upload photos @14-16MP wirelessly).
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
nnInn

Wi-fi camera not cell, so larger images shouldn't be a problem. Again as stated to the MP size of the images, they will be crippled because of this and the software. And a cloud service with no cell signal, just about worthless.

An app like Instagram only save to max 1936-by-1936 on iPhone4, 2048x2048 on 4s. And not much better on Android, Again crippled, because I don't see app makers, making them better bigger for this camera.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I shoot people

Wi-fi camera not cell, so larger images shouldn't be a problem. Again as stated to the MP size of the images, they will be crippled because of this and the software. And a cloud service with no cell signal, just about worthless.

An app like Instagram only save to max 1936-by-1936 on iPhone4, 2048x2048 on 4s. And not much better on Android, Again crippled, because I don't see app makers, making them better bigger for this camera.

well, like I said... I DO think it's gimmicky, but Nikon's marketing towards the smartphone gen. The thing is... with smartphones getting more and more built in features already, I do see it pointless. I only bought the Samsung because I wasn't happy with the camera feature of the Galaxy Nexus... It didn't focus right... which it was fixed after the update. But I had already bought the Samsung P&S.

Last edited by is300eater; 08-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM
nnInn

I don't see this as a gimmick. Most people don't not use their cell phones as phones. To me and A LOT of my friends (pro and non pro), it's camera that I can use as a phone.

If/when Apple puts out a P&S app camera, I'll be buying it. I know App makers will upgrade to match it.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
I have an Eye-Fi card in my Canon S90 and I transfer all my pics to my Galaxy Nexus. I can edit the full 10MP file in Aviary image editor and then upload them to anything of my choice. Now if only you could do high res uploads to Facebook and Flickr from a mobile device then you could actually make use of those images.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Ohh you meant photography apps..

I thought you meant like FB, twitter, angry birds etc etc type apps
Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Anyways I think it's useful, not for a photographer but the many people that just use their cameras for snapshots and them UL them to FB. This lets you do it right from the camera.

For me as nice as the cameras are on smartphones, they suck balls. Especially low light and the flashes on them stink as well.

Until we get a real camera on a smart phone I'll keep my P&S, at least for pictures I want to remember.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Anyways I think it's useful, not for a photographer but the many people that just use their cameras for snapshots and them UL them to FB. This lets you do it right from the camera.

For me as nice as the cameras are on smartphones, they suck balls. Especially low light and the flashes on them stink as well.

Until we get a real camera on a smart phone I'll keep my P&S, at least for pictures I want to remember.
The iPhone4 and 4s is one of the best P&S cameras on the market, I know people that make a living shooting with just it alone. It's not the equipment, but the person using it.

Every time I have used the flash on my iPhone4, I have gotten some great images. I took a picture of my neighbor and his son last Halloween, with my iPhone, images were better than what his wife took with her P&S. She was very happy that I even took the shot.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM

Well good for you. The flash on mine stinks, it washes out everything.

Let's not also forget you have to wipe down the lens everytime before taking a shot other wise you'll get bad glare/reflection/distortion of its dirty.

Day time this thing is great, night time or low light. Not so much IMO based off pics I see on FB/twitter and experience.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
nnInn

Well don't you have to wipe down your lens with a normal camera, if it gets dirty?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Well don't you have to wipe down your lens with a normal camera, if it gets dirty?
Well yes, but a camera has a lens cap or retractable one.

At smartphone doesn't, and sits in your pocket so it gets dirty often and fast
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
nnInn

If it gets that dirty sitting in your pocket, maybe you need to wash your clothes more often...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...ed-1080p-video

PERFORMANCE THAT FUELS THE PASSION: THE NEW NIKON D600 PUTS FX-FORMAT IN FOCUS FOR PHOTO ENTHUSIASTS

As Nikon's Smallest, Lightest and Most Affordable Full-Frame HD-SLR, the D600 Packs in Powerful, Pro-Grade Photo and Video Features with Wireless Sharing and Capture Capabilities
MELVILLE, N.Y. (September 13, 2012) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the 24.3-megapixel (MP) D600, a camera that is designed to deliver the image quality and performance benefits of a full frame FX-format sensor to the enthusiast looking to take their dedication to the next level. The Nikon D600 offers a remarkable value, merging the perfect combination of a lightweight, compact form factor and superior image quality, making the leap into FX-format photography more attractive than ever.

Whether shooting stills or Full HD video, advanced features and Nikon technologies like the newly developed high resolution CMOS sensor and EXPEED 3 image processing engine are designed to meet the needs of the most demanding creative vision. Additionally, Nikon's new optional WU-1b wireless adapter allows users to shoot high quality HD-SLR images and transfer them to their mobile device, making it easier to stay connected, without the need for wires.

"For many, image making is so much more than a hobby; it is a way of life that changes the way the world is perceived. The Nikon D600 represents a new category of camera for this user and demonstrates Nikon's devotion to the passionate photographer who is always looking for new ways to express their creativity through their photos and HD videos," said Bo Kajiwara, Vice President of Marketing, Planning and Customer Experience, Nikon Inc. "By offering users the advanced FX-format and key features inherited from our professional cameras, along with new functions like optional wireless capabilities, Nikon is inspiring photographers by providing an imaging experience that satisfies like never before."

Superior Image Quality
Nikon's FX-format offers photographers exciting image quality possibilities, from dazzling dynamic range and exacting detail to stellar low-light ability. The D600 employs Nikon's newly developed, large 24.3 MP FX-format CMOS Sensor (35.9 x 24mm) to offer photographers a versatile camera that provides amazing image quality and sharpness, with ample resolution to tackle almost any project. Because the needs of the advanced amateur varies widely, the new CMOS sensor provides a wide ISO range from 100-6400 (expandable from 50-25,600) to give photographers maximum low-light flexibility yielding clean images

with minimal noise and accurate color. The full ISO range can also be used while capturing HD video in challenging light. Nikon's exclusive EXPEED 3 image processing engine interprets the massive amount of image data flowing from the sensor to quickly process images and HD video. The result is striking images and impressive HD video that exhibits faithful color reproduction and tonal range throughout the frame.

Precision Technology Engineered for the Enthusiast
Enthusiasts of all types demand the best from their gear, and the Nikon D600 is a camera engineered with intuitive features that give photographers an edge in the field. Whether shooting lush landscapes, action sports or the elusive animals of the Serengeti, Nikon's Scene Recognition System and 2,016 pixel RGB sensor excels in any situation. By recognizing the scene prior to capture, the system meticulously analyzes factors such as color and brightness with extraordinary precision and compares all the data using Nikon's exclusive 30,000 image database. The result is enhanced AF performance and flattering exposures.

For precise AF performance in a wide variety of shooting conditions, the D600 features a 39 point AF system with the new MultiCAM 4800FX AF module. This AF array is well suited to a wide variety of shooting styles and disciplines, offering AF modes to let users select a single point, continuous AF, Dynamic AF or use 3D tracking to keep pace with a moving subject throughout the frame. Additionally, the system features nine cross type sensors for maximum accuracy, while seven AF points are fully functional when using compatible NIKKOR lenses and teleconverters with an aperture value up to f/8 for extreme telephoto applications.

To keep up with action sports, active wildlife or the photo opportunity that unexpectedly arises, the D600 is ready to shoot in 0.13 seconds, with a 0.052 second shutter release. The camera emphasizes speed and performance, from overall operation and image processing, helped in part by the exceptional EXPEED 3 processing engine. The camera is also capable of bursts of images at 5.5 frames per second (fps) at full resolution with full AF, to capture decisive moments. To further enhance speed and workflow, images and video can also be rapidly transferred to dual SD card slots that are compatible with the latest SDXC and UHS-1 high speed standards.

Enthusiasts will also appreciate other thoughtful features made to appeal to more advanced photographers, such as the 100% frame coverage seen through optical viewfinder. The wide and bright view makes it easy to compose in a variety of conditions, and affords the ability to enjoy shooting for hours on end with minimal eye fatigue. Additionally, the D600 features several scene modes and features to enhance creativity, including one-touch access to Picture Control functions through a new dedicated button. Photographers can also shoot images in High Dynamic (HDR) mode for amazing highlights, and create awe-inspiring time lapses with ease.

Experience Full HD
The Nikon D600 has advanced video features that are ideal for those ready to embrace the world of HD-SLR video, as well as those already enjoying its benefits such as manual control, depth of field, low-light ability and lensing options. This camera gives users the ability to record Full HD at varying frame rates and resolutions including 1080p video at 30, 25 or 24p, and 720p video at 60, 50 and 30p. When shooting HD video at the highest quality setting, up to 20 minutes can be recorded, or up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds in normal quality for added convenience when shooting static shots such as interviews and events. The large 3.2-inch 921K dot LCD screen makes it easy to preview images or video captured, navigate the menu system or confirm critical HD focus, while automatic brightness control adapts seamlessly to changing lighting conditions.

Sophisticated video features help to increase the production value on any project, including full manual control of exposure, and the ability to switch between FX and DX-format (1.5X) at Full HD for a telephoto boost and alter depth of field. Users can opt to focus manually or can take advantage of the full-time AF while recording to help ensure faces are in focus or track a moving subject. Additionally, videographers have the ability to capture audio with the onboard microphone or record stereo audio externally using the mic input. Audio can be monitored through the headphone jack and levels can be displayed on the LCD with peaking.

In addition to the ability to play back HD video and images through the HDMI terminal, users are also able to experience pro-grade video features in the Nikon D600. For monitoring and streaming applications, the image can be displayed on the LCD screen while simultaneously shown on another monitor through the HDMI, with or without shooting data. What's more, the D600 adds the ability to transfer uncompressed video via the HDMI connection, which can then be routed to a digital recorder or similar device.

Remote Sharing and Capture
Photography is a form of expression, which can now be shared more ways than ever before through social networks and online communities. To accompany the D600, Nikon has also announced the optional WU-1b Wireless Adapter that allows users to connect wirelessly to the camera. A companion Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility application for Android™ based mobile devices is also available at no additional cost. 1 Furthermore, an application for the iPhone® and iPad® mobile digital devices will be available on September 15, 2012.2

When connected, users are able to share their images taken with the D600 through their mobile device to their social circles, as well as send and download images from their camera to a compatible device.3 The adapter also allows users to remotely fire the D600's shutter from up to 50 feet from the camera, which is ideal for capturing photos from unique vantage points.

NIKKOR, Speedlight and System Compatibility
Supporting the D600 is Nikon's heritage in optical excellence, more than 70 NIKKOR AF and AF-S compatible lenses for maximum versatility. Those with DX-format lenses will also be happy to know that these lenses can also be used on the camera as well as the ability to set DX crop for stills or video to extend the reach of telephoto or telephoto zoom lenses.

The new Nikon HD-SLR is also a gateway to Nikon's renowned Creative Lighting System (CLS) which illuminates a whole new world of creative image making using multiple Speedlights. A built-in Speedlight commander can control multiple Speedlights such as Nikon's SB-700, SB-910 or Wireless Close Up Speedlight System, and the camera can also control up to two individual speedlight groups for further creative control.

Constructed to Inspire
Built to withstand the wide variety of shooting conditions enthusiasts face, the body of the D600 is sealed and gasketed against dirt and moisture. The camera uses magnesium alloy top and rear construction to provide a lightweight camera with maximum durability. The shutter has been tested for 150,000 cycles, and sensor cleaning is also employed. The battery is rated for approximately 900 shots, affording photographers the ability to shoot all day. Additionally, the optional MB-D14 Multi Power

Battery Pack extends the grip for comfort and can effectively double the battery capacity when using two batteries.

The D600 is also built with an emphasis on handling with thoughtful ergonomics and button placement, in a body that is compact enough to carry comfortably on any excursion. The hand grip has been improved for comfort, while the overall impression from using the camera is reassuringly solid. To avoid accidental engagement, the shutter button has been recessed, while the Mode Dial can be locked.

Price and Availability
The Nikon D600 will be available on September 18, 2012 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $2,099.95*, for body only, or with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR for the SRP of $2,699.95*. The WU-1b will be also available on September 18, 2012 for an SRP of $59.95*. The MB-D14 Multi Power Battery Pack will be available in late September for an SRP of $322.00*. For more information on the new Nikon D600 and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

Nikon D600 specifications

Price
MSRP Body: $2099/ £1,955.99 ; With 24-85mm F3.5-5.6: $2699/£2443.99
Body type
Body type Mid-size SLR
Body material Magnesium alloy
Sensor
Max resolution 6016 x 4016
Other resolutions 4512 x 3008, 3936 x 2624, 3008 x 2008, 3008 x 1688, 2944 x 1968
Image ratio w:h 3:2
Effective pixels 24.3 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 24.3 megapixels
Sensor size Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)
Sensor type CMOS
Processor Expeed 3
Color space sRGB, Adobe RGB
Color filter array Primary Color Filter
ISO 100 - 6400 in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (50 - 25600 with boost)
White balance presets 12
Custom white balance Yes
Image stabilization No
Uncompressed format RAW
JPEG quality levels Fine, Normal, Basic
File format
NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed or uncompressed
TIFF (RGB)
JPEG
Optics & Focus
Autofocus
Contrast Detect (sensor)
Phase Detect
Multi-area
Center
Selective single-point
Tracking
Single
Continuous
Face Detection
Live View
Digital zoom No
Manual focus Yes
Number of focus points 39
Lens mount Nikon F mount
Focal length multiplier 1×
Screen / viewfinder
Articulated LCD Fixed
Screen size 3"
Screen dots 921,000
Touch screen No
Screen type TFT LCD monitor
Live view Yes
Viewfinder type Optical (pentaprism)
Viewfinder coverage 100 %
Viewfinder magnification 0.7×
Photography features
Minimum shutter speed 30 sec
Maximum shutter speed 1/4000 sec
Exposure modes
Program (P)
Shutter-priority (S)
Aperture priority (A)
Manual (M)
Built-in flash Yes (Pop-up)
Flash range 12 m (at ISO 100)
External flash Yes (Hot-shoe, Wireless)
Flash modes Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow sync, Rear curtain
Flash X sync speed 1/200 sec
Continuous drive Yes (5.5, 1-5 fps)
Self-timer Yes
Metering modes
Multi
Center-weighted
Average
Spot
Exposure compensation ±5 EV (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)
AE Bracketing (2, 3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 1 EV steps)
WB Bracketing Yes
Videography features
Format
MPEG-4
H.264
Microphone Mono
Speaker Mono
Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (30, 25, 24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 50, 30, 25 fps)
Storage
Storage types SD/SDHC/SDXC x 2 slots
Connectivity
USB USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes (Mini Type C)
Wireless Optional
Remote control Yes (Optional, wired or wireless )
Physical
Environmentally sealed Yes (Water and dust resistant)
Battery Battery Pack
Battery description Lithium-Ion EN-EL15 rechargeable battery & charger
Battery Life (CIPA) 900
Weight (inc. batteries) 760 g (1.68 lb / 26.81 oz)
Dimensions 141 x 113 x 82 mm (5.55 x 4.45 x 3.23")
Other features
Orientation sensor Yes
Timelapse recording Yes
GPS Optional
GPS notes GP-1, Wu-1b mobile adapter
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM

damn body only for $2099?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM

D600 versus D800: Specification highlights

24.3MP Full-frame CMOS sensor (compared to 36.3MP CMOS)
10.5MP DX-format crop mode (compared to 15.3MP)
39-point AF system with 9 cross-type AF points (compared to 51-points, with 15 cross-type)
Autofocus sensitivity down to -1EV (compared to -2EV)
Maximum 5.5fps continuous shooting in FX mode (compared to 4fps in FX mode)
2,016-pixel RGB TTL exposure metering sensor (compared to 91,000 pixels)
2x SD slots (compared to CF+SD)
No 'Power Aperture' aperture control during movie shooting (offered by D800 using Fn + Preview buttons)
Shutter rated to 150,000 cycles (compared to 200,000 cycles)
Magnesium-alloy top and rear, polycarbonate front-plate (D800 is full mag-alloy except flash housing)
USB 2.0 interface (compared to USB 3.0)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Very nice offering for a grand cheaper than what I paid for mine...but I think that extra grand is worth having the more pro-interface im used to dealing with.

I am curious if the lower MP will result in overall better DR.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Dang from that comparison it seems I need to aim towards a D800 instead of the D600. I don't want to buy all new memory cards so having the CF slot is a big deal. Also the fact I would need to shoot in crop mode for a while I would transition out of the DX lens I have.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Dang from that comparison it seems I need to aim towards a D800 instead of the D600. I don't want to buy all new memory cards so having the CF slot is a big deal. Also the fact I would need to shoot in crop mode for a while I would transition out of the DX lens I have.
SD cards are WAY cheaper than CF

And the D800 has CF + SD....where the D600 has dual SD.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
D600 sample images

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...-image-gallery
Old 09-19-2012, 09:17 AM
nnInn

DxO report...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

nice on the ratings! this camera makes much more sense to ME than the D800. I have absolutely no use for 36mp files.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to purchase a D600 and ended up getting a D800 instead. The D600 looks/feels like a kids toy compared to the D800. The picture quality at high ISO is amazing! Each file is about 45 mb shooting RAW. I really need to upgrade my laptop now.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
nnInn

Such a cute kid !!!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Such a cute kid !!!
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by TSX7
I went to purchase a D600 and ended up getting a D800 instead. The D600 looks/feels like a kids toy compared to the D800. The picture quality at high ISO is amazing! Each file is about 45 mb shooting RAW. I really need to upgrade my laptop now.
cute kid....and check your setting....45mb sounds like youre shooting in one of the lossless compression settings.

Full RAW on these bad boys is around 70MB per file. And my laptop chokes on them.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM
nnInn

Nikon to announce a 70-200 f/4 next week...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
The Third Ball

meh.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
nice on the ratings! this camera makes much more sense to ME than the D800. I have absolutely no use for 36mp files.
Is that because you don't do large prints? That to me would be the only reason for wanting as high a megapixel rated camera as possible, without sacrificing quality though.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah. with 36mp you would be able to do wallsize and billboards.

but, ultimately for me it was not a question of the number of megapixels, it was a question of having to buy a new set of lenses. So I decided to invest in more Canon gear instead.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
yeah. with 36mp you would be able to do wallsize and billboards.

but, ultimately for me it was not a question of the number of megapixels, it was a question of having to buy a new set of lenses. So I decided to invest in more Canon gear instead.

Quick Reply: Nikon: News, Rumors and Discussion Thread