Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

My First Shots w/ D60

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My First Shots w/ D60

I'd like to hear some constructive criticism from some of the experts here. I'm new to the SLR game so I know I have a lot to learn.

My shots can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evader

I'd like to hear some comments/suggestions I've really found a new love in photography. I'll be taking some outdoor shots and posting them here too for your thoughts!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
One quick little tip that I know of that could help your pictures alot is to get level with your subject matter.

I saw this mainly in the pictures you were taking of you daughter when she was hugging a disney character. You were taking the shot from your level. Get down to a level closer to her. and get a little closer in.

Maybe this is bad advice, but it seems that it would tremendously help! Looking good though!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Yes, Shoot kids from their level, one of the best pieces of advise that can be given.

Those images straight from the camera?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think his D60 shots had a lot taken from the same level as his subject.

There are some cool shots - especially the one where your daughter is on the floor with her toys looking sheepishly up at you (0008).

I think the main issue is the direct flash in a lot of the shots. I can't be sure if you have an external flash, or if it's all on camera. You need to take some more shots during the day when you can play with natural light a bit more.

Keep shooting and posting.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

^^^

And just to add, just because it is daytime, don't think the flash is completely off limits.

I'm a noob to photography, but if I'm thinking correctly, there are times when it is proper to use a flash in the daytime....particularly in portraits and whatnot. But don't try to worry yourself with so info at once.

Definitely try to get outside during the daytime though and get a decent amount of shots under your belt. It's just another one of those things that you must practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
nnInn

fill flash in daytime is needed sometimes, light at subject back, fill flash needed to get faces. With Canon IIRC you have to be in TV or AV for fill flash to work. I don't have pop up flash on my bodies, but if I did it think I'd get this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lumiquest-Scre...7555710&sr=8-4

I hate working with flash, it's my worst thing with photography.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks good. The flash from the camera is okay in a pinch and works well for fill light when outdoors if your subject is close enough. If you know you're going to be taking indoor shots then a flash that you can "bounce" is far more effective and offers a much better light disbursement. It also helps prevent shadows behind your subject and almost no "hot spots".
Nikon makes a pretty inexpensive one you might want to look at, the SB 400. It's compact and fits easily into a travel bag.

Now get out there and keep shooting.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Let's Go Pens

Just wanted to add... Only the pictures in D60 First Shots are the ones we're discussing for now. The other pictures (Disney, etc.) were taken with my old Kodak P&S. It was a great camera but I wanted to make the step up in technology to SLR because I know the possibilities are limitless
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Let's Go Pens

Damn! Computer crashed in the middle of my last msg!

I'm sure it's obvious but these images are straight from the camera without any retouching.

Shalooby: Thanks for the flash advice. I was watching a Nikon Video where I saw the guy "bouncing" the flash so I'll look into picking one of these up too.

I also have the 55-200 VR Lens and I'm sure in no time I'll only add to my collection but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. If photography is anything like modding the TL.. I'm in for an expensive hobby
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
Damn! Computer crashed in the middle of my last msg!

I'm sure it's obvious but these images are straight from the camera without any retouching.

Shalooby: Thanks for the flash advice. I was watching a Nikon Video where I saw the guy "bouncing" the flash so I'll look into picking one of these up too.

I also have the 55-200 VR Lens and I'm sure in no time I'll only add to my collection but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. If photography is anything like modding the TL.. I'm in for an expensive hobby

Someone else aptly described it as "G.A.S."

Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Let's Go Pens

I need some more advice from the experienced slr users

I was in New Hope, PA yesterday on which turned whout to be an incredibly gorgeous day. For those of you who have been you know that it's filled with an unlimited array of photo opportunities. Because of my inexperience I lost out on these opportunies and I'm quite disapointed.

Here is an image which i'm most disapointed with (This is from photobucket. The full-size high-res file is on my flickr page). Can you please give me your thoughts on what should have been done to really capture this and make the shot. Whether I should have used a higher aperature, flash... whatever it might be I loved this spot and really wish I could have taken a picture that would really stand out from the rest. I also noticed that when I was taking various shots (outdoors, indoors, low-light, bright sunlight etc.) that on occasion I would have black "flashing spots" showing on the lcd screen within parts of the images.. What the heck is this?

I also lost another opportunity while my daughter was on an indoor-carosel.. I could not seem to "freeze" the shot and I took a multitude of shots and everything still seemed to come blurry. I'll get the hang of this eventually I guess and I'm trying to be as patient as possible. Maybe I need to hire someone to take me out in the field and give me some hands on pointers, lol

Last edited by Evader; 08-04-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Secret Agent

The meter was taking into account the sunlight coming in from the right. Even though it's not directly in the frame it still "saw" that which resulted in the dark areas of the frame being under exposed.

One way to expose this correctly is to use the spot or center-weighted metering mode instead of matrix. Another way is to use matrix mode but you need to point the camera towards an area that is not affected by the sunlight coming into the lens and "lock" the exposure, then recompose and shoot. A hood on the lens would also prevent the sun-spots you see, reflections off the glass.

The blinking areas (you need to read the manual) on the lcd are showing you areas that are "blown out". They are completey over exposed and contain little if any useful data. Most PP apps have tools that allow you to "recover" some of these areas.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
nnInn

A few things that could help this shot

1 Lens hood
2 Circular Polarizer Filter
3 Having here sit to her right with face away from the hard light of the sun.
4 Fill flash to get her face in the shadows
5 Wait for the natural diffuser, clouds, I was in Ohio and Pa yesterday, there were BIG clouds rolling in.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Evader
Maybe I need to hire someone to take me out in the field and give me some hands on pointers, lol

If you haven't yet, get Understanding Exposure and/or his book about shutter speed as well. This will help you understand what you wanted to on the carousel.

You can also look for local workshops, just Google photography workshop and area of where you live.

I do it as; photography workshop, DC or Northern Virginia. Also you can check with a local camera store, most of the time the have flyers or boards with info.

Another, Google to find local photo clubs.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 08-04-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
If you haven't yet, get Understanding Exposure and/or his book about shutter speed as well. This will help you understand what you wanted to on the carousel.

You can also look for local workshops, just Google photography workshop and area of where you live.

I do it as; photography workshop, DC or Northern Virginia. Also you can check with a local camera store, most of the time the have flyers or boards with info.

Another, Google to find local photo clubs.

Great book! Still reading it!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Secret Agent

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I was in Ohio and Pa yesterday, there were BIG clouds rolling in.
So where are the pics? Let's get it going! Slacker.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shalooby
So where are the pics? Let's get it going! Slacker.

lol, jk
Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Let's Go Pens

So I'm probably going to use this thread as I continue to experiment with the camera and post any questions I might have here. So without further delay.... onto my next dilemma

For those familar with the D60 options (I'm sure it's a feature on the D80 too) after taking pictures it gives you the options to make a stop motion movie... Can anyone elaborate on this. I remember see this showed to me in the store but I've yet to be able to do this on my own. It seems everytime I take an image regardless of the settings (auto, man, a, s) it doesn't give me the option to create a stop motion movie with the images.

Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? I know I know.. Open the manual and read I'll try to take a look tonight but I was just hoping this would be an easy answer.

As always,

Thank You!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Secret Agent

I don't want to sound harsh but it's going to come across like that anyway. Please don't be offended. So without further delay....

A lot of the knowledge that the people on this board have is the result of reading (start with the manual) and research. The answers to all your questions are found within the pages of the books we have suggested you get, and read. If there was an easier, softer way I'd be first in line.

I don't know the answer to your question. The D50 does not have that functionality.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Let's Go Pens

Shalooby - No offense taken. Constructive Critisism works wonders and I appreciate your effort and feedback.

I've ordered two books suggested and I'm sure my answer is within the owner's manual. I only really have time to read or do research when i'm at work and it's my own damn fault day after day I keep forgetting to get the manual from the box in the back of my closet.

Thanks though I couldn't have said it any better myself!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
nnInn

The manual really isn't going to tell you anything except what the buttons are for. The other books will tell you how to use and adjust the buttons.