Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...
View Poll Results: Which Camera?
Nikon D5600
50.00%
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
50.00%
Other Nikon
0%
Other Canon
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Canon/Nikon Shooters - Input Please

Old 11-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Canon/Nikon Shooters - Input Please

Thinking about getting the wife a camera for Christmas. I currently have a Nikon D70S with a few lenses, that her mom gave us, as she prefers her Canon.

Looking at specs & trying to not get too crazy on proce, it looks like the EOS SL2 & D5600 seem to be pretty closely matched & both would be a step up from the D70S.

My wife has a perception that the Canon is more user friendly than the Nikon. So she's mentioned a few times about wanting to get a 'Rebel', but hasn't spent much time with either.

So, spend some money for me, shoot me the pros/cons between the 2. Personally, I'd rather stay with Nikon as that's what I have now & can get Nikon stuff at a nice discount.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Then stay Nikon. I don't shoot Nikon, and never have, but they are reputable company with a sizable following and wide range of lenses so you should be good to go. I don't think their menu system is all that different from Canon.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Then stay Nikon. I don't shoot Nikon, and never have, but they are reputable company with a sizable following and wide range of lenses so you should be good to go. I don't think their menu system is all that different from Canon.
I vividly recall exchanging cameras with a friend who was an avid Nikon shooter. I have been a Canon person.
It was interesting as we were both scratching our heads and turning the cameras around and asking (out loud) "where is the ____? .... oh."

I wouldn't necessarily say either was better or worse. Just different,.

I'd recommend, however, getting a camera with a 'my menu' sort of thing where you can drop frequently used menu items into one easy to reach location.
It makes life much easier and quicker.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I vividly recall exchanging cameras with a friend who was an avid Nikon shooter. I have been a Canon person.
It was interesting as we were both scratching our heads and turning the cameras around and asking (out loud) "where is the ____? .... oh."

I wouldn't necessarily say either was better or worse. Just different,.

I'd recommend, however, getting a camera with a 'my menu' sort of thing where you can drop frequently used menu items into one easy to reach location.
It makes life much easier and quicker.
agreed.

I think it just boils down to familiarity. Im a Canon shooter myself and just prefer the menu layout simply because I've used it for all these years. But poking around on my brother in law's Nikon D700 didn't take long before I figured out where things were.

Just have her try both and see which one she prefers. can't really go wrong with the SL2 and the D5600.