Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

brand new P&S or old dSLR?

Old 10-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
brand new P&S or old dSLR?

ok, i need to buy a camera in the next like week, and I was pretty set on buying the new canon sd800is, but everywhere I want to buy it, it's sold out.

I think i can find one if i'm willing to pay retail, but I started thinking that If i'm going to spend $400+ I might as well step up to an older model dSLR, so really quickly I was looking at the old canon XT or 300d but i haven't really done any research yet....which probably could be found for around $500 for the kit, used or whatever. or recommend me something in that price range.

Should i stick just with my original plan of getting the SD800is? or find a cheap dSLR.?
I know it's really all about what you want from a camera, and i probably would like to have a dSLR, but i don't want something completely outdated, that can't even take pictures as well as the new P&S's. If the new P&S's can get even close to the old dSLR's i'd probably rather get that for the size, since i'm off to japan for a few weeks.

I know most people will tell me to buy a camera while i'm in japan, but they don't seem much cheaper or that much nicer. And i don't want to take time out of my scheudle to go shopping for a camera. TIA
Old 10-06-2006, 03:44 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmm I don't know about buying used photo equipment, especially the rebel as it's shutter isn't rated for the same number of actuations as a d10/20/30, but i did see a rebel xt in my local craigslist for 400 bucks that had me mighty tempted.

500 dollars seems like your getting mighty close to a brand spaking new d50 though, be it without a lense, i'm sure nikon has something equivilant to the ef 50mm 1.8 super cheap prime.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Drifting

hmm, so in the $500 range it'd be between the XT and the 50d. I usually prefer canon products over nikons, but i'm pretty noob.
it's been kinda discussed before (but without a lot of answers):
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=rebel

are these still very respectible cameras? If they are i think i'd be willing to dish out the extra $100 for the dSLR over the P&S (although the DIGIC III is very tempting). Is buying used a bad idea? I buy a lot of stuff used (especially audio equipment) and usually prefer used as depreciation doesn't seem to hit as hard.

I definitely need something with a lens and stuff though, since I want to use it immediately. I'll probably be able to barely sqeak by ordering something online since i'm leaving a week from sunday.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Depends on what kind of photography you want/like to do. If you just want a snapshot or a quick, easy picture, don't want to invest money beyond the camera itself, and want something more portable: go with the Point & Shoot. I know it's the trend now to buy SLRs since the price is so reasonable and everyone's all hyped about owning one, but they certainly aren't for everyone. The quality of P&S is great these days (minus some of the zoom/range capabilities... optical zoom: / digital zoom... might as well imagine it doesn't even exist: )

If you want more versatility and control over the pictures you take, can see yourself spending more money on lenses or gear in the future, are willing to lug around a larger camera, and want to take the time to actually learn the benefits and differences an SLR can provide: get an SLR.

If you aren't going to learn about, understand, and actually use/take advantage of the features an SLR provides you -- honestly, don't bother....cuz using the camera's auto settings 100% of the time is a waste of all its potential, and a waste of money on your part. At that point, a Point & Shoot will almost provide you with the same potential.

Please note: Either camera will NOT make you a better photographer or provide you with "better" pictures! That comes from you!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Osamu
Is buying used a bad idea? I buy a lot of stuff used (especially audio equipment) and usually prefer used as depreciation doesn't seem to hit as hard.
Buying used is fine!! When dealing with SLRs and equipment, the one piece of gear you really need to examine when buying used is the glass (lenses) for scratches, defects, etc. As long as everything works well on the body, there's nothing much to worry about....scratches would just be cosmetic.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I know it's really all about what you want from a camera, and i probably would like to have a dSLR, but i don't want something completely outdated, that can't even take pictures as well as the new P&S's. If the new P&S's can get even close to the old dSLR's i'd probably rather get that for the size, since i'm off to japan for a few weeks.
In my humble opinion, if you don't know why you want a DSLR, don't get one.
Get the SD800is, and if you outgrow it, get the DSLR. They will complement
each other well anyway.

I have a DSLR and have been looking for a nice compact camera.

Don't sweat how 'old' a camera is. If you have a good camera eye, your pictures will look good. My coworker just came back from vacation and her pictures are fantastic. She has a 4 year old canon digicam. It doesn't matter.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Drifting

i'm kinda leaning towards the SLR at this point. I've always kinda wanted to get into photography, but never had the means. But it all depends if i can find a good deal (around 500 or less is my budget) in the next few days.

I know that older cameras take perfectly reasonable pictures. And i realize for 90% of the pictures I take, my old canon s200 would be fine (ebay photos, etc.). I've even gotton quite a few completments from some of the pictures i've taken w/ my 2mp p&s. i think i just got caught up in the hype (well as much hype as there was) with the release of the digic III, and the fact that i've never owned anything as soon as it has come out.

now time to look for a good deal..........

Last edited by Osamu; 10-06-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Drifting

ok I ended up w/ an 350D, paid about 500 for everything, but i think i over paid since it's not in the best condition, but that's with a bag, and CF card and everything.

i just had a few quick questions:
It came with the EF 28-90mm lens, how does this compare to the EF-S 18-55 kit lens? Would it be worth to pick up the EF-S lens for cheap, or should i just start saving for something nicer.

Also there is a black spot on most of my pictures. It only really noticible on a white background. can this be removed with simple or professional cleaning, or is this something more serious? Or will I just have to remove this post production? I don't see any visible dirt or dust, but i don't know, i just started taking pictures like an hour ago.

Lemme grab a sample picture:

It's VERY visible in this picture, not so much in others, but if you look hard enough, you can see it in others.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Hey Osamu. It looks like you've just got some dust on your sensor. If you got the manual with the camera - it tells you how to clean it with a blower. If you're not comfortable doing that, or if it's stubborn dirt (won't blow off), a professional should be able to take care of it.
Congrats on the new camera!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Drifting

yea i just got to that page

i think it helped, i just used a baster out of my kitchen though.
So far I like my new camera, but this manual is really long. Good thing i have a 12 hour plane ride on sunday to learn everything.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
i just had a few quick questions:
It came with the EF 28-90mm lens, how does this compare to the EF-S 18-55 kit lens? Would it be worth to pick up the EF-S lens for cheap, or should i just start saving for something nicer.
Nah, just Play with your lens for a while.
If you want to go wider, save and get the 10-22mm
if you want to go longer, get maybe a 70-200mm or 75-300m.