XM radio superior or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM radio superior or not?

Another stupid question, but it is from me so I assume nobody is surprised. In terms of the XM radio is this supposed to be such a great feature soley because it reduces commercials and widens the range of music that can be heard? Id3 tags is a nice addition too. Or like sattelite TV, does XM broadcast in 5.1 allowing the TL imparticular to take advantage of the quality with it's surround system? If not is XM simply like any other radio station (stereo?)
Old 10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Über Geek

Not such a stupid question. I'm not positive but I don't think it does the 5.1

XM is great because it's NOT regular (Clear Channel). I don't have it, yet, but my friends that have it act like it's a religious experience.

Mostly the freedom from Schlock 40 is the big deal. Real music, not the stuff the record companies want you to buy. That sort of thing.

Get it.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by captainjack
Not such a stupid question. I'm not positive but I don't think it does the 5.1

XM is great because it's NOT regular (Clear Channel). I don't have it, yet, but my friends that have it act like it's a religious experience.

Mostly the freedom from Schlock 40 is the big deal. Real music, not the stuff the record companies want you to buy. That sort of thing.

Get it.
Clear Channel owns XM. Clear Channel = evil empire. XM = evil empire.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:00 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: XM radio superior or not?

Originally posted by moreace
Another stupid question, but it is from me so I assume nobody is surprised. In terms of the XM radio is this supposed to be such a great feature soley because it reduces commercials and widens the range of music that can be heard? Id3 tags is a nice addition too. Or like sattelite TV, does XM broadcast in 5.1 allowing the TL imparticular to take advantage of the quality with it's surround system? If not is XM simply like any other radio station (stereo?)
XM can not broadcast in 5.1. The main advantages with XM are 1)you receive more stations...and you can listern to the same station anywhere you go. 2)it's broadcasts are digital...so the music clarity will be much better than FM. Negative... you have to pay as you go.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro

XM does not have 5.1 yet. Just plain stereo.

When driving along tree lined (with coverage) XM on, it does not work and fades out until a direct line of sight is remade.

Also, for large overpasses (saw this while passing under an 8 lane overpass at 60) the signal fades out for a second and back in again.

Almost like the old days of AM, only worse as trees block it also.

I observed this over the weekend.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:21 PM
4th Gear

Ok first, Clear Channel is an INVESTOR in XM and doesn't even hold a big stake. So XM != Evil Empire.

Second, I have a Delphi XM unit mounted in my 2003 TL Type S with a direct input and it sounds great! Probably going to replace it with the smaller Roady module since its about 40% smaller.

XM sound is good overall, with a direct headunit (like in the 2004 TL) the sound is superior to FM radio. And the ability to choose music genres and not be trapped in radio hell is just priceless.

George
Old 10-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro

priceless?
I think not
mebbe more towards $10 a month
little cheapr if u plan for 2 years

Old 10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Race Director

If XM got 5.1 soon, than that would be SWEET!!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:14 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

XM is lossy compressed digital and has all of the problems that indicates. The audio from XM is not as good as a clean FM audio channel on a good tuner.

-phil
Old 10-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by CoasterGeorge
Ok first, Clear Channel is an INVESTOR in XM and doesn't even hold a big stake. So XM != Evil Empire.

Second, I have a Delphi XM unit mounted in my 2003 TL Type S with a direct input and it sounds great! Probably going to replace it with the smaller Roady module since its about 40% smaller.

XM sound is good overall, with a direct headunit (like in the 2004 TL) the sound is superior to FM radio. And the ability to choose music genres and not be trapped in radio hell is just priceless.

George
They hold a decent stake. In 1999, they invested $75 million into XM.

As of 2001 they hold 10.1% of XM's common shares.

As it is right now, ClearChannel is not influencing music selection. But how long until they start offering "partner discounts" and appeal to XM's wallet to get their programming in.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
Would that be enough to get you into this car?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:44 PM
Advanced

George
On a side note, has anyone seen what XM stock has done over the past month? I should have gotten in - I saw it coming. I coulda backed up the truck and made some serious cash.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2004TL
Remember there's very little 5.1 audio content out there thus far. Not that I don't like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, you understand, it's just that there ain't that much else.

The groovy new Yahoo Shopping Search lists a total of 135 items. Not bad, sure, but you're not going to be replacing your CD collection or mp3 bootlegs just yet.

http://tinyurl.com/qu3j

On a similar vein, anyone run a cable from their ipod into the audio system yet? Is there an aux input?

-ferg
Old 10-14-2003, 04:17 AM
Intermediate

I don't think there is aux imput. Still trying to learn about MP3 player accessory that my dealer heard a rumor about. He is researching. has anyone else heard anything?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:30 AM
4th Gear

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
They hold a decent stake. In 1999, they invested $75 million into XM.

As of 2001 they hold 10.1% of XM's common shares.

As it is right now, ClearChannel is not influencing music selection. But how long until they start offering "partner discounts" and appeal to XM's wallet to get their programming in.
Just a little paranoid are we?

ClearChannel influence has decreased as other investors have come in and the stock has taken off on its own. There used to be several ClearChannel stations rebroadcast on XM with the commercials stripped - I believe there is only 1 left now or even 0 (its the Heart, which was a LA station originally, but now I think its still named the same but broadcasts its own content, which is similar to the LA station but homegrown at XM central in Washington, DC).

XM has their own full facilities and doesn't need CC's $, they are right on track with their subscriber estimates and business growth, which is why the stock is responding so positively.

George
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mcgilh
I don't think there is aux imput. Still trying to learn about MP3 player accessory that my dealer heard a rumor about. He is researching. has anyone else heard anything?
I asked at my dealer, he had not heard of an MP3 player for the TL. There is one for the TSX, a single disc player that fits under the stock head unit and plays MP3's.

-r
Old 10-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

THanks. I've passed the TSX MP3 info on to my dealer. see if he can find out more. perhaps that TSX player will work the the TL. sure would like to have all my music in the car. I currently use a Nomad Jukebox with 20 g hardrive. I have to use an adapter in the cassette player, and a power connection as well. It's such a messy wirey way of doing things I hardly ever bother anymore. I was really hoping for an aux input like my hubbys BMW 04 M3 has just come out with. He doesn't have the cassette player, but he's sneering at me with pomposity and superiority. ugh. tell me there is a surprise aux. input that no one has thought to mention!!!!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

I know for my 2003 TL, I have a Blitzsafe adapter that plugs into the back aux port that gives me a pair of RCA inputs and it controlled thru the CD changer controls. Works great.

Don't know if the 2004 has that option, its common but its way early to see if an adapter is out yet.

George
Old 10-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Back to XM radio

They are pretty good in terms of reception. XM only uses 2 satellites but they have a lot of repeater towers in the country. Sometimes it may work even the vehicle is under a canopy or shaded area.

It does not work with 5.1. 5.1 only works with DVD-Audio Disc to provide you with 6 channel surround sound system.

The advantage to have XM built in the existing sound system in the car because it doesn't need to work through FM frequency like Sirius. Signal goes straight into the head unit and work with the amplifier. It does provide better sound quality.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Registered AssHat

Just a little paranoid are we?
Of course!