why are people so enthusatic about TL??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn princed, I like your analogy, I can't believe you took the time to think and write all that..

very creative
Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2004TL
damn princed, I like your analogy, I can't believe you took the time to think and write all that..

very creative
thanks! i can't believe i just compared cars to custom made suits! i probably should refrain from posting late at night...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Banned

I am really looking forward to the "TL vs. the world" comparison tests. A TL from the factory with a 6-speed tranny, a lowered front end, 18" wheels, and Brembos is cause for celebration.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Bound for Europe

As I completely ingnore the 82 responses before me, I'll say that the new TL is an example of many of today's auto designs are hitting me in the classic "it's grown on me" effect.
When I first saw the TSX at the auto show I was "whatever". The car was Milano Red, roped off on a revolving platform. The doors were open and the wood and parch(like larch...haha)combo made me turn away without taking exterior lines in. That's an example of how much I love interiors. 4 weeks later I see for the first time the ebony/metallic interior, on Acura's site. One word...

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The WRX was ejected from my wants list and the TSX won. I never even bothered to test drive anything else!

The TL impression was similar. The exterior made me react with "it looks like a big TSX". A few months later, and upon receiving "Impressions Magazine" with its 2004 TL feature, I've had a few isolated brain waves penetrating my conscious, giving birth to "that TL is pretty sweet". Was it the interior? Yes again. From the gauges to the jealousy inducing DVD audio system(For a musician, I say...bad Acura! Bad! Trying to tempt me with such goodies!), this new TL has landed on my embarrassing "when I win the lottery" list, knocking off a goddamn S4!

I'm almost scared to see it in person. My TSX is paid for and hey, what's an extra 6 grand and a few more stops at the pump? Calm down Soze, that would be so twentysomething!

In conclusion, I really like the new TL. Acura has hit a triple. First year ownership impressions may cause the third base ump to cry "homerun!!" Now for the RL and MDX(IMO, one of the wimpiest looking SUVs available. CHANGE THE BLOODY FRONT END ALREADY!!! I am one who doesn't give a damn if Acura never acheives "upmarket status". That's what they're all about! Acura is for people who realise they can spend less and get more. People who don't need their car to be "it" for 2 months. As I like to say, when you've got a winner, why would you want anyone to know?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by princed
thanks! i can't believe i just compared cars to custom made suits! i probably should refrain from posting late at night...
Very impressive. I like your late night post, please don't stop them.

I think the point Gilbo was trying to make between Walmart vs Armani suits was BMW's pricing structure verses other cars in it's class.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:16 AM
4dr & I like it that way

gilbo - read this article, heres C&D, the most biased magazine towards BMW, almost calling the CL-S better than the 330ci
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

"Although the Acura's skidpad performance was minimally better (0.86 versus 0.85), the CL was way off the mark in the emergency-lane-change maneuver (60.5 mph versus 63.9 mph) and worse by 11 feet (178 feet versus 167 feet) in the 70-to-0-mph braking test. Although the acceleration numbers were essentially identical, a slight advantage in the BMW's content count doomed the Acura CL to being runner-up by a lousy single point, its massive advantages in the price department notwithstanding. A cop-out? Another rollover in the face of the BMW image juggernaut? Read on before you decide. "

they basically say the CL-S lost due to crappy tires/brakes. 2 things the new TL MT takes care of. add the new styling plus interior and Acura may finally win over even C&D
Old 10-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by JeffPhx
Very impressive. I like your late night post, please don't stop them.

I think the point Gilbo was trying to make between Walmart vs Armani suits was BMW's pricing structure verses other cars in it's class.
I missed that? He actually metaphorisized to that comparo? Wicked.
Acting on impulse I'll say that BMW can charge whatever they want because many car customers, no matter how many models they look at, usually have a #1 that inspired them to buy again. I used to be under the BMW spell. I still am in a way. I just appreciate and grow to love most of their designs. I think this stems from always hearing that they're the best at what they do. It's the kind of worship that makes me, oblivious to quality issues that would make a KIA customer whine, fall in complete and devoted love with their cars. As soon as I saw the M Coupe I was hooked, ignoring and brushing off the "ugly little beast tag". For me, being a man whose own looks would never vault him to "heartthrob" status, I love things that are ugly or unsightly to the perfect image brainwashed masses. Just tonight, I had that rare sensation when a sight of a woman cracks the ice and parts the dark clouds of the heart. In a way, I want people to think I'm an idiot, or crazy or whatever. With BMWs new path, I commend them for taking the leap out of their comfort zone. Isn't it known that when ground breaking, original and NEW ideas are first circulated into the mainstream, the creators or conceptionists are deemed crazy and laughable. They could have freshened up the 5 and 7 and continued to dominate. Instead they challenged themselves to make their autos even more impactful and thought provoking. Sure, they're ugly at some angles, but in the opinion of someone who purchased a NY Islanders away jersey, highlited by the hilarious image of "Captain Highliner" holding a hockey stick and presenting an aggressive facial expression that would scare people away from fish sticks forever, I for one applaud BMW or anyone who stands strong in the face of criticism when the belief that their creation or idea is original, unique and beautiful in their eyes.

I'm off to run-on sentence therapy now
Old 10-13-2003, 02:33 AM
Advanced

Let me get this straight: Someone makes us a new suit when buy a TL, Wal-Mart is selling Armani, and BMWs are made in Hong Kong?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by princed
I think the comparison being made to suits is interesting. As nice as Armani suits are, most men who highly value their appearance and have a need to wear high quality suits regularly choose to have their suits custom made. The quality and variety of fabrics combined with the fit of having a suit built to one's frame is simply unbeatable. Armani is a nice label, but to those "in the know" with suits, seeing a suit by a respected establishment on Saville Row will trump anything mass produced and displayed on a European runway...

Before you think this thread is completely off topic, I just wanted to mention that a more appropriate comparison is in order (Acura as Walmart and BMW as Armani? -- that's a good one...). BMW is more like a Saville row tailor while Acura is a respected clothier in Hong Kong. Both use quality materials and produce exceptional suits far better than anything mass produced. The difference is that the Saville Row tailors build European suits with a distinctly European flavor. There is a great deal of tradition on the Row, and because these tailors can lay claim to producing the clothes of various royalty, the brand status is simply immense. In Hong Kong, the establishments are younger, bolder, and far less expensive. They will design a suit to the wishes of the customer. European cut? Fine. Something more trendy? You got it. They use the same high quality wool, cashmere, etc. but they are able to produce suits at a far lower cost (because they are younger and non-European and therefore have less of a brand image). There will be people who perceive a large difference in quality between the two establishments simply because they are tethered by their elitist views. Indeed, the Saville Row tailor might be better at certain things, but often the Hong Kong tailor is better at others. There will ALWAYS be people who will be unable to see beyond the fact that Saville Row = European and therefore MUST be superior. These tailors are merely different in their approach and appeal to different individuals.

Since this analogy has already run far away from its intended course and seems somewhat ridiculous now that I reread it, I will end. Acura and BMW are merely different in their approaches. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. As individuals, we evaluate how a car maker's philosophy interacts with our own and then go with our guts. Just because the TL does not follow the European luxury sedan formula of RWD does not make it any less of a vehicle -- it's just a different view...
Damn! Now I want to go to Hong Kong...
Old 10-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by btk413
Let me get this straight: Someone makes us a new suit when buy a TL, Wal-Mart is selling Armani, and BMWs are made in Hong Kong?
Your just as confused as me

Old 10-13-2003, 10:28 AM
More On

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Instructor

You're making as much sense as Gilbo now.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is so useless. Probably will just close it...and holy crap I think I have the power to do that.....Bahahahahaha...or maybe not. Back to Mr. Gilboman my lack of respect for anything he has to say is next to zero. Sorry to disrespect you but thats how I feel.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Try to close it. You know how?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:33 PM
OG

Originally posted by Jason
Try to close it. You know how?
Yeah I do.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by justinjsw
Yeah I do.
LOL, me too.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:37 PM
OG

This thread is now closed. Lets move on.