Wheels comparo: TSX, A4 1.8T, MB C230K

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 02:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I agree, if you absolutely have to have RWD, go with 325 or 330. Its a much better car overall than the C230 IMO. Better handling, acceleration, looks (subjective), reliability and I would think (but I could be wrong) resale value.

Devo, I have to ask you one question. If the TSX had 240 or more HP or came with the 3.0L V6 from the Accord, would you be driving one today or still be deciding on the C230 or 3 series?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Johns
Yes, its very confusing. 2002 AMG sways fit 2002 and 2003 C230s without modification. 2003 AMG sways changed the endlinks and require modification. Mine are the 2002 sways and fit with no modification. The C230 coupe handled well with the stock sways, but had too much body lean for me. The AMG sways cleans up the handling without degrading the ride. The TSX in stock form has less body lean in corners than the C230 (IMO).
By the way do you know if bi-xenon auto level sensors can be bolted on 2003 sway?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by gilboman
i thought Benz had free service too...b/c my friend brought her SLK in for "free" brake pads and rotors during the summer before the warranty or that mainatance thing ran out...
What you are refering to is the wear and tear warranty. It last 2 years in canada and covers things like brake pads, rotors and bulbs etc.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

i didnt know the steering was different...but you dont need to drive 9/10 to feel the difference, every time you turn the wheel and are stepping on the gas you feel it..from 3/10 all the way to 9/10 or even 10/10 i dont see how anyone who likes to drive can't feel the difference...heck, even my mom does between FWD and RWD...but she describes it as just turn better and faster
It was different but Benz have fix it for 2004.5 models so it's all good. When you drive a real sports car daily and then jump into an auto C230K it doesn't feel very different from FWD applications. If you are making the jump from something say Civic to C230K yah there will be big difference.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by DEVO
That's in the running as well.
If you are seriously in love with RWD like you been stating. There is really only one choice so I don't know why you are bothering with other offerings. Just like FWD there is good and bad so it all depends on the tuning.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by domn
I agree, if you absolutely have to have RWD, go with 325 or 330. Its a much better car overall than the C230 IMO. Better handling, acceleration, looks (subjective), reliability and I would think (but I could be wrong) resale value.

Devo, I have to ask you one question. If the TSX had 240 or more HP or came with the 3.0L V6 from the Accord, would you be driving one today or still be deciding on the C230 or 3 series?
C230K is very fast if you want to hammer the throttle at every stoplight. I wouldn't be suprise at all if it runs even with 325i neck to neck. The thing about Benz is they design the car to chase fuel economy. So the tranny upshifts between 2500-3500 rpm under leisure driving taking you away from meat powerband. It's real hard to enjoy the car's performance under leisure driving unless you drive moderate-hard. Unlike N/A engines which is instant response the Benz probaly takes about 3/4 a second before picking up the slack and thrusting you foward.

For me I didn't buy C230K beacuse it was a sporty car. I bought it because I wanted first class treatment from dealer. I wanted some features that other cars don't offer such as power steering wheel adjustment with memory or infrared key. Best of all it fits my requirement of good looking sedan with enough interior space. The only other car that I consider really hard was Saab 9-3.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by WhoAmI

For me I didn't buy C230K beacuse it was a sporty car. I bought it because I wanted first class treatment from dealer. I wanted some features that other cars don't offer such as power steering wheel adjustment with memory or infrared key. Best of all it fits my requirement of good looking sedan with enough interior space. The only other car that I consider really hard was Saab 9-3.
So why are you slumming on the TSX site?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by legendguy
Gilboman on the TL:

What car mags are you quoting?? As far as I know there have not been any comparison tests with G35 or 3 series (BTW- a more fair comparison would be G35, 5 series , versus TL in terms of passenger space the car has to haul around. You could also throw in the A6 and the Lexus GS for good measure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edmunds and Car and driver.

"Although we found it to be an easy car to drive aggressively, we're not ready to call it an equal of the 3 or 5 Series, A4 or G35 in terms of handling. The Acura's front-drive layout is limiting from an enthusiast's point of view, but even less serious drivers are apt to notice that the TL floats and bobs over the occasional bump"

basically they all say its not bad for a 3500 lb+ nose heavy car..but it's not close to being a G35, 3-series or even A4 in handling and dynamics.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilboman: I think I will wait for an actual comparison review which I would hope would include the TL, G35, BMW5, GS300, A6, S60R. I think the Edmunds Review (First Drive: Acura TL 2004) is a little more favorable when you include the sentence before and the sentence after your quote:

"As we drove our TL prototype on various back roads, it did indeed feel tight around the turns with plenty of road information transferred to the driver seat. Although we found it to be an easy car to drive aggressively, we're not ready to call it an equal of the 3 or 5 Series, A4 or G35 in terms of handling. The Acura's front-drive layout is limiting from an enthusiast's point of view, but even less serious drivers are apt to notice that the TL floats and bobs over the occasional bump. This won't be a disadvantage for most people, and the payoff is excellent ride comfort when cruising on the highway."

I think I would be willing to give up a little handling if the car offers excellent ride comfort. Another's preference might be different though. My .02.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by duugk
So why are you slumming on the TSX site?
Why not? I come here cause it's the place to get new TL information.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:53 AM
Burning Brakes

What you are refering to is the wear and tear warranty. It last 2 years in canada and covers things like brake pads, rotors and bulbs etc.
so all you pay for is oil changes then?? that's not too bad..i think an oil change runs about 75cdn..but the vacume your car and you get a courtsey car to beat around as well..great fun.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

so all you pay for is oil changes then?? that's not too bad..i think an oil change runs about 75cdn..but the vacume your car and you get a courtsey car to beat around as well..great fun.
Oil change is not until 15,000 km and it's more than 75 cdn. The salesperson told me 4 year average of maintainence is about 2000 cdn.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Instructor

By the way do you know if bi-xenon auto level sensors can be bolted on 2003 sway?
I have heard that they can.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by domn

I'm happy with the output of the current TSX. Having more HP would not put it over the edge. The price is not beatable. I like the 230 looks wise and because it's not as common as the 3 series. I love the 3 series peformance wise. I also think the 3 is very nice looking car. The strikes against the 230 and the 3 are the price. I mean 30K for a car (230) and no CD player...

Now that the TL is out... price is in the same ball park as the other 2 but again no RWD or AWD!!!! It would be a no brainer for me to go with the TSX or TL if that were the case. Honda fan at heart.