Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a dumbass, but he's got a pair...

From the NY Times:

Student Accused Of Cheating Dublin BMW Dealer
Midwestern Auto Group Ships Car To New Jersey

POSTED: 12:55 pm EST February 12, 2004
UPDATED: 5:56 pm EST February 12, 2004

DUBLIN, Ohio -- By posing as a banker, a New Jersey teenager was able to induce a Dublin dealership to deliver a $123,000 BMW to his high school, and then order a second luxury vehicle, police said.

The second one was never shipped, and the first car, with "black sapphire metallic" paint and a heated steering wheel and seats, was found in Raleigh, N.C., Dublin Detective Scott Davis said Thursday.

"He apparently sold the car, and it ended up in a dealership in North Carolina," Davis said.

The teen was arrested at his Jersey City home after Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin learned from its bank that the payment was never made, police said.

The teen allegedly told MAG that he would wire the cash. The dealership told police the wire transfer was verified by Huntington Bank, and that was why it shipped the car to New Jersey, NewsChannel 4's Nancy Burton reported.

A Huntington Bank representative told NewsChannel 4 that whoever verified the wire transfer was not a real bank employee, but may have been posing as one.

"I don't think we have ever had one like this. It's unique," Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gregory Tomczak told The Jersey Journal of Jersey City in Thursday editions.

The boy was 16 when he called the dealership in early January, ordered a 12-cylinder 2004 BMW 760Li and said his bank would confirm the wire transfer, police said.

After completing and returning paperwork that was mailed to his home, the car was delivered to him at Dickinson High School on Jan. 27, two weeks after the boy turned 17, police said.

On Jan. 27, the teen ordered a second car, and the dealership learned it was never paid for the first vehicle, authorities said.

The teen was not hard to find.

"He did use his correct name, as far as I know," Davis said.

The teen allegedly drove the car for 10 days, Burton reported.

New Jersey police said the teen's parents didn't know about the car because he kept it in a garage several blocks from his home.

New Jersey police said the BMW's registration ran out, so police said the teen sold it to a North Carolina used car dealer for $40,000. The Dublin dealership is going to go to North Carolina to get the car back.

The teen is charged with theft by deception and is no longer in custody, Sgt. Edgar Martinez said.

Authorities did not release the boy's name because he is a juvenile.

Last month, a Columbus teenager was arrested after allegedly tricking a car dealer into giving him a car, NewsChannel 4 reported.

Police said Jason Williams, 18, presented a voucher from a charity to the workers at C&J Auto Sales on Parsons Avenue.

The voucher said the charity would pay between $500 and $800 for a car for Williams.

The dealer gave Williams a car, but when the dealer tried to cash in the voucher, it was discovered that the charity did not exist.

Williams was arrested. Police said he is under investigation for other similar crimes.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm more impressed that the kid had the taste to get a 760LI. That's not what most 16-year-olds would go after at a BMW center.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kurt_bradley
I'm more impressed that the kid had the taste to get a 760LI. That's not what most 16-year-olds would go after at a BMW center.
It had the biggest price tag and his intent was to sell it, so he was able to recieve the max return on his time, pretty smart.

Next time he will be up on securities fraud.

Also shame on the dealership for not wondering why this person would have one shipped from Ohio, vs getting one local from the hundreds of BMW dealerships in NJ.

I guess they were just hungry for the sale, but that would have thrown up red lights to me (shipping from Ohio vs buying locally).
Old 02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I remember reading this a couple weeks ago on autospies.com. Yeah, seems kinda silly that a kid could get away even pulling this off before red flags started popping up, but I must say, the scam was pretty good.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kurt_bradley
Actually, he could have gone bigger and better, Midwestern Auto
also sells Ferrari, Lambo, etc.