Ward's Automotive: 10 Best Engines **2015 Results (page 8)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i doubt fuel economy is the reason. the VQ made the list for many yrs with worse mpg than 18/26. and the Hemi doesnt exactly get good mpg
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, Honda's 3.5L V6 tuned for the TL isn't on there yet tuned for the Accord it is. The only difference I see is that the Accord's uses regular gas and subsequently produces less HP.

That pretty well sums up this list. Its not about the "best" motor from a performance perspective with BMW's I6 on the list being clear enough indication of that eh?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishy
Well, Honda's 3.5L V6 tuned for the TL isn't on there yet tuned for the Accord it is. The only difference I see is that the Accord's uses regular gas and subsequently produces less HP.

That pretty well sums up this list. Its not about the "best" motor from a performance perspective with BMW's I6 on the list being clear enough indication of that eh?
go away.

You're right though, I guess performance has nothing to do with sales either since the 3-series which is altogether older, more expensive and smaller in any comparable trim sold almost twice as many cars last month compared to the brand spanking new Acura TL.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
lol it's like the 3 series alone = sales of TL + G35 + IS...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
what is so special about toyota's 3.5L?

It is a good engine but 10 world best?

Also where the hell is the F22??

this list is .

# Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
# BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
# BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
# Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T) no
# Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid) better than prius?
# General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS) ? ??
# Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe) ????
# Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis) good but 10 best?
# Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350) ^
# Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-08-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou
.... yet Fishy continues to insist that the inline-6 is obsolete, as is RWD

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
what is so special about toyota's 3.5L?

It is a good engine but 10 world best?

Also where the hell is the F22??

this list is .

# Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
# BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
# BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
# Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T) no
# Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid) better than prius?
# General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS) ? ??
# Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe) ????
# Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis) good but 10 best?
# Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350) ^
# Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)
Did you even read the article? Or better yet have even driven cars with the engines on this list? I haven't tried most of them, but on paper there's stats that back these engines up.

The Hemis have variable displacement and a unique type of variable valve timing. They use that Hemi across half of Chrysler/Dodge's lineup and its even available in hybrid form. Pushrods with variable valve timing were almost unheard of until recent years.... simply because they didn't need it. But a pushrod that DOES have it....

Hyundai's new Tau engine has continuous VVT (like i-VTEC sorta) and it also puts out a lot more power than Ford's Modular 4.6 DOHC V8 which has been continuously improved over the years. Its also a huge first for Hyundai.

The Escape Hybrid's gasoline and electric engines are way more powerful than the Prius's engine, and not to mention they have to propel a much heavier vehicle, I'd guess 3500+ for the Escape Hybrid vs. under 3000 lbs for the Prius.

The direct-injected DOHC V6s from both Toyota and GM are available almost every midsize vehicle/SUV in their lineup, not to mention have higher combined power and efficiency than their competitors. Even better yet, the GM DI 3.6 makes the same/more power than competitors while on 87 octane. The Toyota and GM versions have a bit more torque than the Nissan ones, and isn't anyone else tired of seeing the VQ on there year after year after year with only one little addition after another? Its an OLD engine. The VQ is available with DI now, I'm surprised the still SOHC J-series made the list, if anything, but as its been said it makes its rated power off of 87 octane.

And lastly, the Wards Top 10 engines list is for North America only.... I can only imagine how pissed you'd be if they included engines from Renaults and Opels. I agree the F22 and VQ are great engines, but I don't think this list would have touched a nerve, if you hadn't owned an S2000 and a G before. Just sayin....

Anymore ??? ? ??? or ^'s?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
You're right though, I guess performance has nothing to do with sales either since the 3-series which is altogether older, more expensive and smaller in any comparable trim sold almost twice as many cars last month compared to the brand spanking new Acura TL.
Originally Posted by iforyou
The gas turbo I6 won in the 135i coupe, not the 3 series. The 1 series is BMW's answer to the SC Cobalt, i.e. go fast econobox for badge whores with little sense of taste.

The diesel turbo I6 is in the 335d, which had N/A sales last month of ???
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Lots of forced induction on that list
Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM

The gas turbo I6 won in the 135i coupe, not the 3 series. The 1 series is BMW's answer to the SC Cobalt, i.e. go fast econobox for badge whores with little sense of taste.

The diesel turbo I6 is in the 335d, which had N/A sales last month of ???
The car(s) itself was what dictated design of the engine in the first place. Everyone else in the thread seemed to get my point, aside from you.... hmm And that's right, the diesel engine in the 335d is so promising that they even put it on the list even though it hasn't even sold any yet! Now that's impressive.

TWO obsolete engines made the list, both from one single obsolete manufacturer. You're funnier than people who drive OHC engined cars who call pushrods ancient.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Racer

SOUTHFIELD, MI – Amid plummeting vehicle sales, thousands of job losses, an economy officially in recession and pleas for federal assistance, a handful of auto makers have cause to celebrate.

Ward's Automotive Group announces its 2009 10 Best Engines list, which reflects the diversity of powertrains that will play a role in reshaping America's automotive landscape.

Selected by Ward's editors, the 2009 list marks the 15th year for the Ward's 10 Best Engines program, the North American auto industry's only awards honoring powertrain excellence and considered by many to be the "Oscars" for automotive engines.

The winners for 2008 (engine and tested vehicle):

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
* BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
* BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
* Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)
* Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)
* General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
* Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)
* Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)
* Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. appears for the first time on Ward's 10 Best Engines list with its all-new Tau 4.6L DOHC V-8. Introduced in the new Genesis luxury sedan, the engine's velvety power delivery, competitive performance and attainable price epitomize the Korean auto maker's drive for world-class engineering.
Related Stories
Engine Competition Reinforces Downsizing
Ward's 10 Best Engines
Man.....What an accomplishment!!!! Finally some recognition as a result of absolute dedication, hardwork, research, and self-sacrifice by countless Korean workers in Korea to reach this stage, WHILE everyone else in the world mocked, and laughed at us (literally).

Good job Hyundai!!, and the countless self-sacrificing hardworking Korean citizens who devote their lives for betterment of their country!! I knew you can do it. We dont need no bailout from the government, we got our hardworking mentality and Korean spirit.

As long as we keep this advancement, Hyundai Motor Corp. can be one of the best in the world in the near future.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by msl82
Korean Pride all day, erryday baby! Who cares about cars because Koreans > * !!!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol....
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
oh gawd, here we go.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
actually this article is talking about engines, the references to the cars are only examples which they tested.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
The 1 series is BMW's answer to the SC Cobalt, i.e. go fast econobox for badge whores with little sense of taste.
Stupidest comment made yet in this thread. Water urine filled lake did you crawl out of?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^ Agree. BMW is more interested in fighting the Audi S3 with it's 135i. It won't care less about any el cheapo Chevy econo boxes.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^ Agree. BMW is more interested in fighting the Audi S3 with it's 135i. It won't care less about any el cheapo Chevy econo boxes.

The thought of BMW thinking of Chevy as a competitor is :ghey:
Old 12-08-2008, 05:09 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
there are times when i read msl's posts and need to leave azine for a few days, just because his posts are so effin retarded that i cant handle them, yes hyundais made big leaps, yes the cars have improved but for Gods sake they are not anywhere near the best car ever and they wont be for a long time. thats that
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

The thought of BMW thinking of Chevy as a competitor is :ghey:
I wouldnt laugh too much...CTS-V...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:34 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^ caddy is def. a bmw competitor now with the new gen of the cts
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll be damned...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Overall, I don't agree with many on the list.

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant) ok
* BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe) good choice
* BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d) good choice, but I'm not a fan of diesels
* Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T) I'd rate the LS3 over the Hemi - It makes more HP, is more economical and I think it sounds nicer.
* Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid) ok, but isn't the Prius more economical
* General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS) good power, but from everything I've read, it has NVH issues
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe) outdated SOHC design that dates back to the 2000 TL, and doesn't make competitve power. The VQ is a far better choice
* Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis) for a V8 luxury sedan, I'd rather have the engine in the Lexus LS, the Mercedes V8, BMW V8, Infiniti V8
* Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350) ok I guess.. but I still like the VQ over this engine
* Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI) ok
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
...And that's right, the diesel engine in the 335d is so promising that they even put it on the list even though it hasn't even sold any yet! Now that's impressive...
No, that's fanciful speculation on the journalists part that diesels will be the "savior", hence all the other diesels on the list. Just the same BS as ethanol, hydrogen, etc.

I mock the feeble mentality of people who think getting 30mpg in a Corvette on the highway means that it's a fuel efficient car. No, the vette sucks back the gas with normal driving behavior (i.e. woo hoo, look at me go fast!) with a normal city/hwy mix.

What is needed is for auto makers and consumers to get two swift smacks in the face to realize that 300+hp cars are lemmings marching off a cliff stupid. And 200+hp family sedans are retarded as well... count me in there too

And a sea change in the lifestyle of industrialized nations is required. Too much driving is done, like the brain dead commuting in LA. Too much transportation of non-essential goods like strawberries from California to Canada in the winter is being done.

Bottom line, the world doesn't need a 330hp coupe nor 425ft/lb of torque moving a compact sedan. Shame on Ward and those journalists for propagating the stupidity.

Originally Posted by savage
actually this article is talking about engines, the references to the cars are only examples which they tested.
Not quite, an engine is measured by how well it motivates a car. The car is the measure of the engine.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Stupidest comment made yet in this thread. Water urine filled lake did you crawl out of?
The lake next to an elementary school where I pick up some language skills. You?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:25 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Overall, I don't agree with many on the list.

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant) ok
* BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe) good choice
* BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d) good choice, but I'm not a fan of diesels
* Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T) I'd rate the LS3 over the Hemi - It makes more HP, is more economical and I think it sounds nicer.
* Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid) ok, but isn't the Prius more economical
* General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS) good power, but from everything I've read, it has NVH issues
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe) outdated SOHC design that dates back to the 2000 TL, and doesn't make competitve power. The VQ is a far better choice
* Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis) for a V8 luxury sedan, I'd rather have the engine in the Lexus LS, the Mercedes V8, BMW V8, Infiniti V8
* Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350) ok I guess.. but I still like the VQ over this engine
* Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI) ok
Not sure about the other engines, but remember the J35 is more fuel efficient. Perhaps this year Ward placed a greater emphasize on that. Especially on the Accord coupe, it can do the 1/4 mile in 13.9s, and the trap speed can go up to 102.5mph, while still getting 22mpg combined (city, hwy, testing). The VQ35 powered cars might still be faster, but most of the time they get 17mpg combined (again, city, hwy, testing) according to most mags.

And actually, the J series, is dated back to 1997 in the 1G CL, but the VQ is as old, if not older.

Also, keep in mind that in terms of hp/L ratio, DOHC is superior theoretically for obvious reasons. For one, SOHC engines can't rev as high, and thus cannot make as much peak power.

From an engineering point of view though, hp/L only tells a little about the technology, BMEP is a far better indication. It takes into account engine rpm, engine volume and engine power output. It’s the only equation to use when comparing engines from the perspective of saying which is more highly developed. The J35 in the Accord has a very good BMEP value for an engine that runs on regular gas. If you compare the J37 in the new TL, it gets 11.9 bar, while the G37 gets 11.34 bar. For comparison, the Accord that runs on regular gas gets 11.26 bar.

The 2GR-FSE engine is in another league, mainly thanks to its "dual injection" system. Any car that has DI should have a higher BMEP. ALso this engine is quite fuel efficient. I guess these are the reasons why this engine is on the list, while the VQ is not.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 PM

^wow iforyou, somebody's been studying advanced engine performance... heh. I don't think most people even understand MEP....

No, that's fanciful speculation on the journalists part that diesels will be the "savior", hence all the other diesels on the list. Just the same BS as ethanol, hydrogen, etc.

I mock the feeble mentality of people who think getting 30mpg in a Corvette on the highway means that it's a fuel efficient car. No, the vette sucks back the gas with normal driving behavior (i.e. woo hoo, look at me go fast!) with a normal city/hwy mix.

What is needed is for auto makers and consumers to get two swift smacks in the face to realize that 300+hp cars are lemmings marching off a cliff stupid. And 200+hp family sedans are retarded as well... count me in there too

And a sea change in the lifestyle of industrialized nations is required. Too much driving is done, like the brain dead commuting in LA. Too much transportation of non-essential goods like strawberries from California to Canada in the winter is being done.

Bottom line, the world doesn't need a 330hp coupe nor 425ft/lb of torque moving a compact sedan. Shame on Ward and those journalists for propagating the stupidity.
Holy shit, I officially give up. Trying to make logic of your posts is like pissing into the wind. Go and buy a Prius, and revel in its non-RWD glory. Then put a V6 into it already since its so much more superior to an inline-6 or inline anything for that matter.

300+ horsepower cars are stupid what the hell are you doing on this site? I think I found the forum you're looking for.... The American Geriatrics Society - Education - Forum Index

The list is merely there to note advancements in engine technology. No, you won't get 30 mpg in a Corvette if your drive like a madman.... but most Corvette owners don't drive like one. 30 MPG in a V8 sports car eclipsing 400 bhp and 400 lb/ft of torque is impressive, period. Very few V8 powered road cars can achieve that. I won't even bother explaining the rest to you.... it'll just be wasted bandwidth anyway.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I wouldnt laugh too much...CTS-V...
Caddy may be trying to compete with BMW, but I don't think BMW is treats caddy the same way.

I know this is but IMO, Merc and Audi are BMW's top two competitors with Infiniti/Lexus rounding out the 3 and 4 spots.

I've ridden in my friends CTS-V and it certainly does haul ass, but I dunno, I don't feel like it is worthy of being a BMW competitor.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Caddy may be trying to compete with BMW, but I don't think BMW is treats caddy the same way.

I know this is but IMO, Merc and Audi are BMW's top two competitors with Infiniti/Lexus rounding out the 3 and 4 spots.

I've ridden in my friends CTS-V and it certainly does haul ass, but I dunno, I don't feel like it is worthy of being a BMW competitor.
1) not the 1st gen CTS, the 2nd gen CTS is where I'm going with this...just read the review in the car talk thread.

2) bimmer is the benchmark, lutz said it clear. caddy was using them as the one to beat...and apparently this new cts v is a fighter, contender, and in some ways a winner.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Just curious, have you ever heard of a place called 'Europe'?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Not quite, an engine is measured by how well it motivates a car. The car is the measure of the engine.

The lake next to an elementary school where I pick up some language skills. You?
Bag of hammers smarter than this post.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
uhh, can you even get a Genesis with the V8 yet? Do we know anything about the reliability of these engines?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
When I went to a Metro Detroit Hyundai dealer ... no V8 Tau engines to be found ... sold to customers before they got to the dealer.

But I am shocked to see my VQ37 engine not on the list ... Oh well ... I'll blame the manual gearbox when they rated the engine!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by dom

Just curious, have you ever heard of a place called 'Europe'?
Well ya, I've watched National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Diesel is subsidized in many parts of Europe like France where it is cheaper than gas and Germany where it is priced the same as gas. Sadly in the US, diesel is not subsidized and much more expensive: $2.52 vs. $1.70 average Oct price in the US.
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

This does away with any fuel economy advantage, which is also shrinking as gas engines become more advanced. Plus, you don't have to have some perverted catheter in your car that squirts piss into the poop shute.

When you add up the total monentary and energy cost to make a significant shift from gas to diesel for American consumers: modifying refineries, stations, repair garages, etc, then diesel is not worth it. Its better to just lop off two cylinders from V6's and V8's.

Similarly, the actual total energy costs to manufacture and run hybrids, ethanol, hydrogen, etc. is higher than gas engines. With ethanol, its double damning because the conversion from food production in part led to the global food crisis.

Again, the best option is to drive less, and drive a smaller engined car.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:58 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
This does away with any fuel economy advantage, which is also shrinking as gas engines become more advanced. Plus, you don't have to have some perverted catheter in your car that squirts piss into the poop shute.
No matter how much lipstick you put on the diesel pig - they are still dirtier. Next time you visit Europe or any place with a high proliferation of diesels like Seoul where I'm at now -- take a shower at night and blow your snot out: yep nice and black.

Again, the best option is to drive less, and drive a smaller engined car.
But what's the fun in that.

I still think the CAFE standards are a way for liberals to feel better about themselves. If it's the role of Gov't to enhance fuel economy, gas taxes would be the most effective method.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I tell you what man I drove my cousin's jeep with that 5.7L hemi and when you can make ALL FOUR tires light up......now that's something :P

I am suprised that Honda's J series has not been on the list that much.....It's pretty much maint free and bullet proof.......
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Ward's Auto: Ten Best Engines

* 2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
* 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
* 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
* 2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
* 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
* 2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
* 4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
* 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
* 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
* 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI)

PRESS RELEASE:

Engines employing new technologies to deliver both fuel economy and performance dominate North America's only engine award program

SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Dec. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Ward's 10 Best Engines, North America's only award program honoring engine excellence, have been announced for 2010. The list symbolizes the auto industry's swift movement toward downsized engines to attract consumers who now are making fuel efficiency a top priority.

Highlights: Two turbodiesels (one each from BMW AG and Volkswagen AG) and two hybrid-electric vehicles (from Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp.) made this year's list by achieving fuel economy of nearly 40 mpg (5.8 L/100 km) in the VW Jetta SportWagen TDI and up to 55 mpg (4.2 L/100 km) in the Toyota Prius in real-world driving.

This year's winners and the applications tested:

* 2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
* 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
* 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
* 2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
* 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
* 2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
* 4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
* 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
* 1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
* 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI)

"This year's list embodies how the industry is responding to demands for higher fuel economy and lower emissions without shortchanging performance," Ward's AutoWorld Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter said. "Auto makers are using innovative designs and advanced technology to boost horsepower and torque while downsizing engines and increasing efficiency."

To be eligible for the competition, each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2010, in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.

Throughout October and November, six editors of Ward's Automotive Group tested 34 vehicles from 13 auto makers in their normal driving cycles in metro Detroit. They scored each engine based on horsepower, torque, refinement, technical relevance and comparative data. Each engine was evaluated because it was all-new, offered significant technology upgrades or was a returning winner from last year.

The awards will be presented at a Jan. 13 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show. A full story on the Ward's 10 Best Engines is now available on Wardsauto.com.

Ward's Automotive Group is a world-leading provider of auto industry news, data and analysis, having served the industry's information needs for nearly 80 years. Ward's AutoWorld is a monthly magazine serving more than 68,000 automotive professionals. The twice-monthly newsletter Ward's Engine & Vehicle Technology Update provides analysis of engineering advancements and technical issues. WardsAuto.com is an online subscription service delivering virtually all the industry news, data and analysis compiled by Ward's Automotive Group, the world's leader in automotive industry information. A Southfield, MI - based division of Penton Media, Inc., Ward's Automotive Group also publishes the weekly industry newsletter Ward's Automotive Reports, the monthly magazine Ward's Dealer Business, and offers a wealth of other automotive information services including reference annuals, online databases, and customized data reports.

Nice work VAG.

Forced induction is here to stay.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
One thing funny about that is when I look at comparison tests between say a 328i (or even 328xi) and the A4 2.0T, the EPA figures look quite a bit better on the A4, but actual test mileage as reported by Car & Driver and Motor Week are noticeably better on the BMW. The 2.0T can get very thirsty unless you take it real easy.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
what abt the s65 motor in the m3?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by DISRUPTV
what abt the s65 motor in the m3?
I read in Car and Driver that this was a top ten engine. Why isn't it on this list?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
One thing funny about that is when I look at comparison tests between say a 328i (or even 328xi) and the A4 2.0T, the EPA figures look quite a bit better on the A4, but actual test mileage as reported by Car & Driver and Motor Week are noticeably better on the BMW. The 2.0T can get very thirsty unless you take it real easy.
...but if you are easy cruising on the highway...the MPG numbers are nothing short of fantastic....stay out of boost......If you are in boost (which is hard not to because it's too much fun) then your MPG numbers are going to nosedive.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
...but if you are easy cruising on the highway...the MPG numbers are nothing short of fantastic....stay out of boost......If you are in boost (which is hard not to because it's too much fun) then your MPG numbers are going to nosedive.
Damn you beat me to saying this......

When i get mine on the highway I get excellent mileage and actually better than what is suggested by VW.

In the city I can get very close to what is suggested if I stay out of the boost, but the thing is just sooooo much damn fun to drive in the boost stage, the MPG start dropping.

I cant believe its already been four years since I have had mine. I just bought out the lease two weeks ago because it was worth much more than the buyout and has been such a fun and reliable ride.....Nice work VAG. I hope they keep up the quality work and awesome drivetrains

Quick Reply: Ward's Automotive: 10 Best Engines **2015 Results (page 8)**