VW's U.S. dealers need more than pep talk from top

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW's U.S. dealers need more than pep talk from top

By Christine Tierney / The Detroit News
Christine Tierney

New Volkswagen boss Wolfgang Bernhard will face a grumpy crowd in Dallas next month when he addresses VW's U.S. and Canadian dealers. The German brand is in a freefall in the U.S. market.

Last month, VW-brand vehicle sales tumbled 42 percent -- the worst performance of any major nameplate in the American market. (Taking into account two more selling days in May 2004, sales were down 37 percent on an adjusted basis.)

So far this year, its sales are down 25 percent. They fell 15 percent in 2004 to 256,111 -- less than half of the 1970 peak.

This isn't Bernhard's doing. The former chief operating officer of the Chrysler Group has just taken over Volkswagen AG's VW brand.

Its troubles reflect decisions made years ago. The lineup wasn't refreshed often, quality suffered, and the cadence of new launches was erratic. Two U.S. best-sellers, the Jetta and slightly larger Passat cars, aged together and are both being replaced this year, although they are built on separate platforms.

Instead of padding out VW's core U.S. offerings to fend off the Japanese, the automaker pushed VW upmarket with the Phaeton luxury car, although it already has a premium marque, Audi.

The recent rollout of the Jetta should have provided relief for U.S. dealers. It earned favorable reviews, but VW hasn't shipped enough entry-level, $18,500 versions that dealers can easily sell.

Over the next two months, as VW delivers more Jetta models and introduces the Passat, it expects sales to improve.

But VW probably lost a few thousand sales of the new Golf hatchback when it postponed its U.S. launch to space out the new model introductions. The first Golf will roll into U.S. showrooms two years after the model's launch in Germany.

"As I said to Dr. Bernhard, please don't do this to me again," said Len Hunt, head of Volkswagen of America and former chief of Audi in the United States.

"What you kind of want is a more consistent business," Hunt said. "We want something happening every six months."

Volkswagen lost more than $1 billion in North America last year but insists it is committed to the U.S. market. It has moved 100 engineers to its U.S. headquarters in Auburn Hills to spot defects and work with plant managers to fix them quickly.

VW recently forked out more than $50 million to tide over U.S. dealers with additional cash and bonuses. It is offering a $500 bonus on each used-car sale for dealers who hit sales targets.

But dealers want assurances from Bernhard that VW grasps the nature of the competition in the U.S. market.

"Every time I speak with him I feel that he has an acute knowledge of the U.S. market," says Hunt. "He knows what will work in America."

VW may add a small sport utility to the lineup, below the Touareg SUV.

Bernhard is expected to outline his priorities for VW: cutting costs, improving quality and creating exciting products. That's what dealers want to hear. They need more than a quarter of a million VW sales a year to see a decent return.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/insiders...C01-206170.htm
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
VW keeps pushing up-market for some reason. Buyers will ask themselves: "Why buy VW when the Audi is the same price?"

VW, Mitsubishi, GM are sinking ships in the Auto world. Question is who will right their ship and who will sink from the US market?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
All I have to say about VW these days is ugly designs, below average reliability, overpriced.

VW needs to go back to its roots of being the peoples' car. And using an Audi-esque grille does nothing for the VW brand image.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
All I have to say about VW these days is ugly designs, below average reliability, overpriced.
I wouldn't say ugly, the new Jetta is rather unexciting and generic looking......not so much ugly.

The Phaeton, Touareg, and new Passat sedan/wagon are nice looking vehicles.

VW's new Jetta launch went terribly.......aside from the design.

As predicted, the Phaeton was a big mistake.

VW does need to get with it in the reliability department (Mercedes like electrical gremlins).
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
TSX User

The situation with VW reminds me of someone cheating on a standardized test, only to later find out that everyone around him/her had a differently coded exam sheet.

The camry/es300 type formula that has worked for Toyota, just doesn't seem to pay dividends for VW. This may sound stupid, but it seems that people (including myself) unrealistically expect more from a German brand. And so when something like the current Jetta is released, it appears even worse than it really is.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
I know you guys are hating on the Jetta but I think that this is a great looking car:

Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by charliemike
I know you guys are hating on the Jetta but I think that this is a great looking car:

Its not bad looking at all. My best friend test drove one and it wasn't too bad at all. Although you wouldn't believe but looking at it, the trunk is pretty friggin big when you look at the cars size.

Inside the car is kinda cramped for space and it just ain't the car that you wanna take long trips on if you're not alone. My brothers 2001 Kia Optima was more roomy and better to ride in when we drove from Georgia to Texas. While it had decent getup, I wasn't amazed with it. Overall I just felt that VW had missed the mark with the Jetta.