Volkswagen: Touareg News

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Volkswagen: Touareg News

Touareg Leads A New Diesel Movement For VW
By Bengt Halvorson

Volkswagen has recently confirmed that the mighty V-10 TDI model is U.S. bound for the 2005 model year. Rated at 313 horsepower and 552 pound-feet of torque, the engine is the most powerful offered in the Touareg.

The 90-degree, 5.0-liter aluminum-alloy V-10 employs unit-injection technology, an electronic throttle, and twin variable-nozzle turbochargers. Accessories are gear-driven and direct-mounted, to keep the engine packaging as compact as possible.

With its six-speed automatic transmission (supplied and co-developed by Japan's Aisin), the V-10 Touareg clocks official acceleration figures of 0-100 km/h (0-62.5 mph) in 7.8 seconds and a governed top speed of 225 km/h (about 140 mph), with fuel economy figures in the combined EU cycle of 19.3 miles per gallon. Expect the EPA-cycle combined figure to break into the 20s, with highway fuel economy in the mid twenties.

"We're convinced it's the best powertrain for an SUV," commented Helmut Endres, VW's head of powertrain development, in a recent technical presentation. The TDI's much greater torque than any gasoline engine brings improved on- and off-road performance and should prove one of the strongest SUV towing options available.

Look for the V-10 TDI model to carry a price tag that's several thousand more than the V-8 model (which starts at about $41,000), but less than $50,000. As VW officials emphasized repeatedly, the automaker wants consumers to see the V-10 TDI option primarily as a step up in performance, while its miserly virtues can be seen as an added bonus.

The Touareg TDI is an important part of Volkswagen's intent to up its ratio of diesels over the next few years to twenty percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S., compared to about ten percent today. Another crucial product in the new diesel offensive is the stellar, refined 136-hp, 2.0-liter TDI Passat, on the way Stateside sometime next year.

The 2005 model year will be a crucial window for diesel cars to prove themselves in the U.S. With tighter California emissions regulations coming online for 2006, and a U.S. focus on limiting particulate matter and NOx, two diesel-engine weaknesses, VW only has one year of certainty in the market. Provided low-sulfur diesel fuel becomes widely available on schedule in 2006, then to meet tightened limits automakers will be able to usher in more aggressive emission-control strategies just in time.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I'll never consider a diesel car with our diesel fuel.

If the V10 takes off, I could see a 6-cylinder TDI for the Tuareg at some point too.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats cool, i hope they suceed. i would take any suv or truck made today with a diesel engine over a gas. would be nice alternative in a car too.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

High-performance edition Touareg

Touareg Sports A New Look
By Hilton Holloway

It appears even off-roaders need to prove they can be sporty these days. At least, VW seems to think so. The firm is planning a lightweight, high-performance edition of the new Touareg off-roader.

Insiders revealed the news exclusively to Auto Express at the Essen Motor Show in Germany, admitting that bosses want the newcomer, likely to be called Touareg Sport, to take on the BMW X5 and Land Rover's eagerly anticipated high-performance Range Sport.

Inspired by the Touareg Sport concept, also revealed at Essen, the limited-edition production car will be finished in sporting blue, and have 20-inch wheels and lowered suspension. It will also get modified bumpers and sill extensions, while an aluminium-trimmed dash and leather sports seats will feature inside.

The performance mud-plugger also draws influences from the lightweight Race-Touareg. This is the machine VW hopes will win the gruelling Dakar desert rally, as it would give bosses a great way of launching the 4x4 at dealers.

Insiders say the Touareg Sport would be powered by an uprated version of VW's new 2.3-litre five-cylinder diesel - also used by the Race-Touareg - delivering more than 200bhp. Although it would still have a 4x4 transmission, the whole car would be lightened and the luxury spec pared back to save weight.

Meanwhile, Land Rover is tipped to up the SUV stakes at the Detroit Motor Show in January with a concept version of its forthcoming Range Sport.

Source: Autoexpress
Old 12-08-2003, 05:14 PM
The hair says it all

thats really hot, i like it a lot
Old 12-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't know Land Rover is gonna get into the performance SUV area too.

That Touareg is lookin good.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:57 PM
__

Originally posted by Chaptorial
I didn't know Land Rover is gonna get into the performance SUV area too.

That Touareg is lookin good.
The Range Rover Sport will essentially be a cheaper Range Rover, possibly a 3 door
Old 12-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like
Old 12-14-2003, 06:48 PM
That's hot...

Volkswagen or not
Old 12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

its nice
Old 12-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro

DAMN...
Old 12-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
hot hot hot
Old 12-17-2003, 04:50 AM
hail to the victors

me likey!!! damn i need a suv!!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

sweet, reminds me of nogara(sp?) blue.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Racer

I hope they price is lower than 40K, otherwise :thumbsdn:
Old 12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

why not just get the porsche cayanne?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
New Touareg W12 Sport with 450 hp

Touareg W12 Sport
A twelve-cylinder sports utility vehicle with 450 hp

Wolfsburg / Paris, September 2004 - Two years ago exactly, Volkswagen introduced the Touareg to the world for the first time in Paris. And now, the world's most exclusive sports utility vehicle in this form is making its début at the same place: the Touareg W12 Sport, initially available as a limited edition only. The 331 KW / 450 hp special-class SUV, which reaches 250 km/h (electronically limited, speedometer up to 300 km/h) was designed by Volkswagen Individual. The combination of the twelve-cylinder engine, air-suspension running gear and all-wheel drive is currently unique throughout the world.

The unusual driving performance, such as acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, are impressive, but are not necessarily in the foreground. It is more the way it moves – which is superior in every respect – that makes the Touareg W12 Sport appeal to a very sophisticated clientele. The maximum torque of 600 Newton metres applied by the 6.0 litre twelve-cylinder ensures that the Touareg can produce almost inexhaustible reserves of strength both on and off road. The petrol engine, which is classified under the EU4 standard, has a six-speed automatic transmission (Tiptronic).

Both the exterior and the interior of Europe's most powerful cross-country vehicle has been re-specified by Volkswagen Individual in many areas. The "deep blue" painted exhibition vehicle shows the new features in detail. Outside, it is the exclusively designed bumpers, darkened windows, wheel arch extensions which blend smoothly with the side sills, two chromium-plated double exhaust-pipe ends and 20-inch alloy wheels with tyre dimensions 275/40 R20 that make this Touareg stand out as the W12 Sport.

The smart interior of the Touareg is further refined by the addition of individual sports seats with Alcantara inlays (very non-slip), aluminium inserts (design: Engine Spin) and aluminium door entry strips incorporating the "W12 Sport" lettering. The new top-of-the-range model can be ordered in Germany and France from October. Other markets will follow shortly.

Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

I'll take that or the TDI!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:19 PM
goldmemberererer

I wish that all of VW moved in the Touareg/Phaeton direction (although I know that neither of the two sells real well). But I guess that would push Audi to a more Maybach-type level, heh.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
looks hot w/ the flares and side moulding.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Pit Stop?

I'd take that over the Porsche Cayenne Turbo anyday.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
I wish that all of VW moved in the Touareg/Phaeton direction (although I know that neither of the two sells real well). But I guess that would push Audi to a more Maybach-type level, heh.

im pretty sure the Touareg sells very well.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

if you have to ask what MPG is like on this SUV, then you probably can't afford it.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

nice
Old 09-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The sad thing about VW is that they are rolling out some significant models and people like me and many others here aren't going to give them the time of day because 1) their initial quality sucks, and 2) their dealerships suck worse.

It's like a 1-2 punch to the side of the head of a consumer.

Who wants to deal with that?
Old 09-25-2004, 01:18 PM

Why do car makers think 0-60 acceleration=sport? It's very old and lame at this point. Just continue to slap sport badges all over won't they.

And what charliemike said.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why do car makers think 0-60 acceleration=sport? It's very old and lame at this point. Just continue to slap sport badges all over won't they.

... especiall about the 0-60 thing.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

you havent driven these, have you? The Porsche caynne is not a dog around a track either.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
looks like a station wagon now
Old 09-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
you havent driven these, have you? The Porsche caynne is not a dog around a track either.
I agree it performs pretty good around a track, but I just think that racing a truck around a track is pretty silly.

Personalyl I'd get a Porsche GT, 911 or Boxter if you want to race around at track. Leave trucks to the tasks like going off road, carrying large amounts of cargo or people.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Volkswagen hits 20,859 feet

Record Ascent: German explorer takes a Volkswagen Touareg to new heights - - By JONATHAN WONG - - Source: Autoweek

Look out Land Rover, Volkswagen has moved into the off-road record book by reaching the highest elevation ever for a stock vehicle.

Last January German adventurer and veteran off-roader Rainer Zietlow set out to conquer Chile’s Ojos del Salado, the world’s tallest volcano. When it came time to choose a vehicle for the ascent, Zietlow sought the services of Volkswagen and its Touareg.

Zietlow’s decision to use a Touareg for his record-setting mountain climb may come as a surprise, because, after all, the Touareg is Volkswagen’s first and only SUV. However, Zietlow contends, “The Touareg has the best off-road and on-road capabilities of all the SUVs sold in Europe.”

Zietlow’s Touareg, an expedition model available only in Europe, came equipped with a roof rack, spotlights, underbody protective skid plates, locking rear differential and a winch, along with the base 3.2-liter
240-hp V6.

It was important for Zietlow that his vehicle be capable straight out of the box, because unlike other hillclimbers, he does not boost his vehicles with performance modifications. “My name is [synonymous] with using stock vehicles,” Zietlow says. “The Touareg we used is exactly what came from the factory, with no modifications.”

Zietlow’s reputation for expeditions in stock vehicles is why Mercedes-Benz hired him to pilot one of its M-Class SUVs across the grueling African continent.

Zietlow’s record-breaking journey in the Touareg began with a run through the Atacama Desert, one of the world’s driest areas, to the team’s base camp at 14,435 feet above the salt lake Laguna Santa Rosa. From there they tackled the slopes of the volcano, encountering giant roadblocks en route.

Many large, impassable boulders blocked the path and had to be moved with the help of the Touareg’s winch. The team navigated through the volcano’s relentless terrain that included snow, volcanic sands and rock-strewn trails reaching an 80 percent gradient.

Along with setting a new altitude record, a seismographic station was also established on Ojos del Salado—a primary goal of the expedition. The station makes it possible to register earthquakes above potential eruption hot spots in a region of Chile that is in constant danger of such activity.

On Jan. 29 both the Touareg’s onboard navigation system and the team’s altimeters read 19,950 feet, recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records as the highest elevation reached by a stock vehicle.

The trip to the summit took eight days to complete, but it took the team just three hours to get back down the mountain.

Already a Toyota Land Cruiser has gone higher. The truck, sporting a modified suspension giving it greater ground clearance, climbed to 20,859 feet. While the overall record is lost, Zietlow’s record for a vehicle in stock form remains intact.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Zietlow intends to try and break his own record one day. “If Volkswagen and my sponsors come back,” says Zietlow, “we can go another 35 meters.”.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Diesel-powered V-10 engine will return for '06

VW says its diesel-powered V-10 Touareg will return to the U.S. for '06 model year - - HARRY STOFFER | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

WASHINGTON -- Volkswagen of America Inc. vows to return the Touareg's V-10 diesel engine to the United States for the 2006 model year.

First, though, the company must persuade the EPA.

VW introduced the heavily promoted V-10 in last year, but it dropped the diesel from its engine lineup for 2005. The company could not certify that the engine would meet federal standards for tailpipe emissions.

For 2005, Volkswagen proposed injecting a compound called ferrocene into the V-10's exhaust. That would help the particulate filter work properly, the company said.

But ferrocene is not registered for use in the United States, the EPA says.

VW insists it will find an acceptable alternative.

"We are confident this flagship product will be back in the U.S. market for 2006," said David Geanacopoulos, VWoA's director of industry-government relations.

The same particulate issue does not affect the company's smaller diesel engines in other models, he says.

Halo engine

VW says it initially expects to sell about 450 V-10 diesels a year in the United States. That estimate falls far short of its prediction two years ago, when company officials said the V-10 would account for about 12 percent of projected annual U.S. sales of 40,000 Touaregs, or 4,800.

In 2004, U.S. sales of the Touareg were 27,706.

Regardless of numbers, the engine became a source of great publicity. VW cited the engine as evidence of its engineering prowess. It called the V-10 an example of the promise of modern diesel engines to provide clean, efficient power. Automotive reviewers generally raved.

Growing pains

VW's experience reflects the challenges diesels face in meeting increasingly tough U.S. clean air standards. Those standards are being phased in through the 2009 model year.

Geanacopoulos says VW sought to use ferrocene as an interim step until low-sulfur diesel fuel is widely available.

Federal rules require extensive production of the fuel by late 2006.

He did not describe the technology VW plans to use to get the engine back in the United States.

VWoA Vice President Len Hunt said in a February letter to dealers: "Sometimes being at the forefront of new technology entails setbacks, but we are confident of the next technological solution."

Merrylin Zaw-Mon, director of certification and compliance at the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, says she understands VW is seeking a particulate filter that does not need ferrocene.

She adds: "To Volkswagen's credit, it was their decision to pull the car off the market."

Zaw-Mon says such a decision probably has been made before but surely is rare.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Best news i have heard all month

No joke, if i can afford and find a used one i will buy it in a few years!!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

These are photos of the Touareg W12 Sport shown in Paris but in production trim, in Europe, it will be called the W12 Executive and it will be shown in the Frankfurt Auto Show soon. Some specs and stats:

W12 engine with 450HP
0-62mph in 5.9 secs
155mph gov'ed top speed
DVD support
iPod support
Rear cameras to help with parking

Source: www.in.gr
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Damn it!!! Its ok, the V-8 is a gas guzzler already as it is...
Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Volkswagen presents special model Touareg "Kong" and the latest from Peter Jackson's film "King Kong" at the IAA.

What started as an online exclusive in June with the first King Kong trailer is now being continued at the Frankfurt Auto Show IAA. Volkswagen will be showing further exclusive material from the set of King Kong in New Zealand at a stand which has been inspired by Skull Island.

Furthermore, Volkswagen will be presenting a Touareg special model "Kong" at this year's IAA – a real power package both inside and out which can take on its namesake. “The film and the creature itself fit very well to this SUV with its off-road capabilities and ability to move confidently from rugged jungle outposts to city streets,” says Joern Hinrichs, Head of Volkswagen Global Marketing.

Underscoring its wild character are visible cues such as floor-guards front and rear, side skirts and a comprehensive chrome package. Identification as the official member of the King Kong crew will be provided by a specially developed badge. The Touareg will be presented wrapped into ropes – an allusion to the tied up sacrificed white woman in the movie.

An unusual advertising campaign has been devised for the Touareg and the stand: large adverts which show Kong in action at central locations in Frankfurt, such as the Bockenheimer Warte, the old library in the Schöne Aussicht and around the trade fair.

And subject to availability of his shooting schedule, actor Thomas Kretschmann is planning to visit the stand. He plays the role of Captain Englehorn, who brings King Kong to New York on his ship, Venture, in Jackson’s film.

With the extravagant construction of the stand and the extraordinary advertising campaign throughout Frankfurt, Volkswagen has started the second stage of cooperation with NBC Universal for King Kong. "But it gets even better," Jörn Hinrichs, happily explains "the advert for the special model with scenes from the film is also being produced by Peter Jackson’s Weta Productions in New Zealand. That’s something really special."

http://www.germancarfans.com/n....html
Old 09-10-2005, 04:38 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Gonna start saving up now for the gas bills.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:43 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Gonna start saving up now for the gas bills.
tell me about it, $68 to fill up last week and now im on an eighth of a tank
Old 09-10-2005, 12:24 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Originally Posted by gavriil

W12 engine with 450HP
0-62mph in 5.9 secs
155mph gov'ed top speed
DVD support
iPod support
Rear cameras to help with parking

Source: www.in.gr
How does this truck only hit 0-to-60 in 5.9 seconds, if the V10 Turbodiesel model hits in 6.3? This has like 100 more horsepower, and while we're mentioning the Cayenne Turbo, a 5.1 second truck, it has as much horsepower as that beast. Either way, I like the W12 model, even though we'd probably never see it here.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Touareg News