Volkswagen: Passat News

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
The new Passat and A4 do not share the same platform anymore. The Passat move to a transverse mounted engine for packaging reasons.
Yes but the point is how can a V6 Passat make more power than a V6 A4, especially when the A4 is begging for more power.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
· Dynaudio sound system optional, marking a first in the U.S. car market. Coming from Denmark’s most exclusive stereo maker, the Dynaudio system is custom designed to the Passat to achieve the best audio experience possible.

IMPRESSIVE... I mean, it impresses me. Does it impress you, Gav?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:41 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
The wagon looks nice...but only a manual in the 2.0T......we'll see how the wagon prices out against the audi wagons.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really like the new design, and with 280 hp looks like a winner

hopefull they can improve their reliability (which they said they were working on so we'll see)
Old 08-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Hook
Lots of electronic goodies = even more warranty claims against VW.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by srika
IMPRESSIVE... I mean, it impresses me. Does it impress you, Gav?

The audio system? That all depends on how it will actually sound.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

The car sounds impressive, but whats the price going to end up topping out at, in the 40's? Not sure why Dyn signed on all of a sudden with an auto manufacturer either, sounds interesting non the less though.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like it more and more.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WorldCarFans
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050926.005
New Volkswagen Passat and Passat Estate Design Package
Text & Photos courtesy of Volkswagen Group AG
09-26-2005

English | Deutsch

advertisement

Appealing, personal and sporty

Passat customers can now upgrade their vehicle using the “design package” from Volkswagen Individual: the package gives both the saloon and the estate versions an appealing, personal and sporty touch.

The love of the car is often reflected in the details: with dark chrome radiator grille, side window trims and rear lettering in the new “design package” for the Passat, for example. The anthracite-painted 18 inch “Chicago” alloy wheels with five double-spoke design and gloss finish are also an eye-catcher. These are combined with a 15 millimetre lower sports suspension which is specifically tuned to match the wheels. Tinted rear and side windows match the dark chrome and wheels.

A look at the vehicle interior shows the attractive contrast between dark nappa and light-coloured “Sensitive” leather in “Snow Beige”. The two-tone concept is adhered to throughout, with the door panelling also in "Snow Beige", for example. The multi-function steering wheel and gearstick knob also have light-coloured stitching and the fabric foot mats have a light-coloured surround. The dark, brushed aluminium decorative strips and the sill panel strips with “Individual” lettering give the vehicle an individual touch.

Other useful features in the “design package” include fog lights, heated windscreen washer jets, heated front and rear seats which can be regulated separately and two-zone "Climatronic" air conditioning system. The “RCD 200” radio-CD system with four speakers in the front completes the range.

The “design package” for the Passat and Passat Estate is available to order across Europe for the Sportline equipment range. The package is available in Germany for 6 102 EUR with normal chrome fittings and exclusively with dark chrome for 6 402 EUR starting in the autumn.

Other individualisation products

In addition to the “design package”, Volkswagen Individual also offers a wheel range with four high quality wheels in both 17 and 18-inch format for the Passat and Passat Estate. Alongside the “Chicago" model, this includes the 18-inch "Samarkand" alloy wheels, the 17-inch “Avignon” alloy wheels and the five double-spoke model “Siena”. The “Siena” and “Avignon” models are available in titan silver or sterling silver. The “RCD 500 Dynaudio Sound” sound system with ten-channel amplifier and ten speakers can be ordered on request and can be combined with the "RNS MFD-DVD" DVD navigation system.

Last edited by heyitsme; 09-29-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:31 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, is the A4 the same size as the new Passat on the inside? Btw, new Passat looks damn good.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:16 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Ok, i really fucking like it. When will the wagon be available????
Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

The car is beautiful, but I think VW missed the point. They should be making the car into a Camry/Accord fighter, not another A6. I wish they used that front end on the entire VW line, think the golf and jetta would be much improved with it.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Individual is really tought to get and costs a bucket load of money. That's the problem with some of the VW offerings - there's not enough seperation between it and Audi. The only thing that might save VW in the short term is a virtual monopoly on diesel offerings in the US.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Despite improvements, VW's new Passat encountering tough competition, flat sales - - By DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Despite the numerous improvements, more-powerful engines and competitive price, Volkswagen of America Inc. doesn't expect U.S. sales of the new-generation Passat to increase substantially.

The larger Passat competes in the family-sized vehicle segment against three Japanese automakers with better quality ratings than VW -- which was fourth from the bottom in this year's J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.

The sixth-generation 2006 Passat will match the peak sales of the previous model, which were 96,142 for both the sedan and wagon versions in 2002, says David Wicks, director of sales for VW. He doesn't predict sales above that number.

"Sales are tough for us to project because of the competitive entries in the market. We are cross-shopped against the Camry, Accord and Altima," Wicks says.

Those three models have consistently outsold the Passat. In 2004, 426,990 Camrys were sold in the United States. Passat sales fell to 67,640 cars last year, compared with 76,977 in 2003.

The competitors far outsell VW because all three brands have a full range of vehicles and lure more buyers into their showrooms, Wicks says.

Conservative forecast

VW also is hesitant to forecast higher Passat sales because more U.S. consumers are buying trucks than in 2000, says Wicks.

The Passat arrived at auto dealerships in late July.

Kevin Eckhart, owner of Santa Barbara (Calif.) Volkswagen, says the car "will help reverse a long dry spell."

VW continues to put premium pricing on the vehicle. Prices start at $23,565 for the 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbocharged value edition. A 2.0-liter turbo model with a six-speed automatic transmission and a package including a sunroof, CD changer and satellite radio costs $25,590 -- pricier than comparable Japanese vehicles. Prices include shipping.

Rather than decontent the car in light of VW's profitability problems in the United States and the currency disadvantage, the 2006 Passat is filled with premium German engineering.

"That is where VW comes in, and that's the position of our brand," says Wicks.

"We're not selling appliances -- we are selling fun and invigorating cars that people love to drive. We can offer an affordable European alternative to the mainstream, not-so-exciting Japanese cars," he says.

AWD, wagon coming

This year, the Passat gets a new 3.6-liter V-6 engine that makes 280 hp mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with a Tiptronic shifter.

There are no plans for a manual transmission.

VW will not offer the costlier V-8 engine with this generation, says Wicks. An all-wheel-drive model and the station wagon both go on sale in February. VW expects the V-6 to account for only 20 percent of Passat sales, Wicks says.

Despite the improvements and larger size, VW did not move the Passat up half a segment like it did with the larger new-generation Jetta.

"We had the ability to move a little bit, but we maintained a good position where the old Passat was," says Wicks. The average transaction price of the new-generation car will be about $27,300 -- similar to that of the previous model, he said.

But Wicks says the six-cylinder engine will allow the Passat to compete against the near-luxury cars that include Volvo, Infiniti and Acura models.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

People buy the Accord and Camry for reliability and value at the top of their priority lists. The Passat has non of the above, how do they expect it to sell well?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

"We're not selling appliances -- we are selling fun and invigorating cars that people love to drive.
But people want an appliance in this segment. Toyota has "gotten" that message more than a decade ago. They have been executing on it for so long, how it is possible for others not to be able to see what the Camry is? For so long?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
But people want an appliance in this segment. Toyota has "gotten" that message more than a decade ago. They have been executing on it for so long, how it is possible for others not to be able to see what the Camry is? For so long?
Toyota & Honda design a car that does not offend nor does it excite. It does it's job and does it very, very well. It's reliable transportaion that does not feel like an econobox.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
and honda, toyota and nissan handle their more "exciting" designs (relatively) to their luxury counterparts, unlike VW which actually seems to want to compete with audi.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Toyota & Honda design a car that does not offend nor does it excite. It does it's job and does it very, very well. It's reliable transportaion that does not feel like an econobox.
Judging by those fuzzy pics of the upcoming Camry, we might be seeing a change in the way mass market family sedans are designed (finally!).
Old 10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
and honda, toyota and nissan hand their more "exciting" designs (relatively) to their luxury counterparts, unlike VW which actually seems to want to compete with audi.
This is baffling isn't it? You would think that Audi and VW would want to separate their vehicles a little more. Perhaps the dealer experience is different or something. I wouldn't really know, because the last time I was in an Audi dealership I walked around for 15 minutes and was completely ignored; how can VW be worse?

I sometimes wonder if Acura and Honda are doing this, but at least for now, styling, materials, and overall performance directions seem to separate even the closely priced mainstream and luxury siblings.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I have an 03 Accord. It's a great car for what it is. It has never had a single problem, it is very comfortable, drives nicely, gets good fuel economy, good space, etc.. It serves it purpose extremely well and is what most people need/want in a car. The other brands try to differentiate themselves by being different but in the end they don't offer what most buyers want.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Instructor

LOOK!!! The Volkswagen ALTIMA.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

VW knows what they are doing so its not like its any suprise that the car won't sell in huge numbers like a camry, the passat is a premium car in a premium brand. To change that, they would have had to change the jetta to a non premium car that goes against the civic/corolla or move it up altogether like nissan did with the altima and then have the passat going against the avalon. The brand is serving a niche at this point.

Also don't think a car has to be a boring car to be a good seller in this segment, the new altima has shown that and it looks like toyota is even out to change that boring image with its new camry. Think Vw could have seen a nice sales increase with this design too if they just priced it like the competition.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have yet to seen one on the road.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I've seen a few. They are very attractive looking sedans. And i don't see any Altima whatsoever in it.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
Judging by those fuzzy pics of the upcoming Camry, we might be seeing a change in the way mass market family sedans are designed (finally!).
Wanna bet?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phile
I've seen a few. They are very attractive looking sedans. And i don't see any Altima whatsoever in it.
I think it looks better than the Altima too. There are similarities (glass, roof, short but tall deck, beltline), but the Passat's execution is much nicer. It's looks are more luxurious.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
It's looks are more luxurious.
So is the price lol
Old 10-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Passat Coupe for 2008 (forbes/ autoblog)

AFX News Limited
VW to build new Passat coupe in Emden from 2008 - sources
09.27.2005, 09:19 AM

WOLFSBURG, Germany (AFX) - Volkswagen AG will start building in 2008 its new Passat coupe model at its Northern German plant in Emden, sources close to the negotiations said.

But the sources said VW and its works council need to first agree on 'necessary cost optimisation' measures related to the production of the car.

A decision on the matter is expected by mid-October.

The German carmaker currently builds its Passat limousine as well as the Passat Variant at the plant in Emden, which employs about 9,600 people.
That would be cool, wouldn't? It would be a sexy interior! The only thing is....will it be fwd? Does this mean there will be an A4 coupe? Me likes......i will be in the market towards the end of next year. Good things are in the pipeline!!

link the article
Old 10-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Safety Car

I remember seeing a pic of a four door Passat coupe much in the vein of the CLS. It was goregeous. It was stunning.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder if this is with regard to the CLS-competitor VW is preparing. I wont merge the thread yet.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking about that.....why would they make a 4 door coupe when it i already a 4 door....doesn't make sense.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil
I wonder if this is with regard to the CLS-competitor VW is preparing. I wont merge the thread yet.
Was it a CLS competitor, or a CLS-like competitor. I thought it was the latter, to compete with the G35 coupe, 3 coupe, CLK, etc. It's two small in size/price/powertratin, etc, to truly compete with the CLS, I think.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM
We dont love these hoes

I had no idea a new passat was coming out untill i saw one on the road a couple days ago, looks great! i was just thinking to myself last week when they would bring a new one out..
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by titan
Wanna bet?
Yup.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
SEAT has had a Passat-coupe derivative for a couple of years. I liked it very much.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe this means an a6 coupe is also in the works?
Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: ‘08 Passat Coupe - - by Brenda Priddy - - Source: The Car Connection

Volkswagen has publicly confirmed plans to build an upscale Passat with sleek coupe-like styling, but there's no need to wait for the 2008 models to see one - we have an artist's interpretation right here.

Volkswagen is planning to jump right in and take advantage of the popularity of the Mercedes CLS styling, and will offer their own German-built four-door coupe/sedan, codenamed "CC" at a far lower price.

The Passat Coupe isn't expected to be shown until the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show, but details are already trickling out. Sources are telling us that the base engine on the coupe will be a four-cylinder with 150 horsepower; the top-of-the-line offerings will include a 280-horsepower 3.6-liter VR6 engine, and a 400-horsepower R36 turbocharged version. Hybrid versions are expected to follow shortly after the initial introduction.

The Passat coupe will be available with front-wheel drive or with the 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...URAGZGZODD.jpg
Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

I like the sketch alot.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
Mo' suicide doors, please.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Passat News