Volkswagen: Passat News

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
@ mentioning Sonata comparo results in a Passat thread. Yeah, not trolling at all.

Please continue to post irrelevant info in topics. We really want to know, Invisible. It will only bolster your great reputation here on Acurazine

Hum, I was replying to the post by TSX69 comparing the PASSAT to the Sonata.

Is there some AcuraZINE rule saying that ONLY the Passat can be discussed, no mention of the other vehicles in the comparison.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Invisible; 11-04-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Invisible
Hum, I was replying to the post by TSX69 comparing the PASSAT to the Sonata.

Is there some AcuraZINE rule saying that ONLY the Passat can be discussed, no mention of the other vehicles in the comparison.

Your help will be much appreciated.
I'm sorry. You're right. Let's just focus on how Hyundai does, because after all, we're not jealous at all of how up-and-coming Hyundai is and how stagnant Honda's lineup is becoming, are we now?

I apologize please continue to make meaningful contributions to Automotive News threads. After all, you're not breaking any rules so it's all good!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Stop with the thread

Take this to the Accord or Sonata threads.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I'm sorry. You're right. Let's just focus on how Hyundai does, because after all, we're not jealous at all of how up-and-coming Hyundai is and how stagnant Honda's lineup is becoming, are we now?

I apologize please continue to make meaningful contributions to Automotive News threads. After all, you're not breaking any rules so it's all good!

I'm confused, what does Honda have to do with this thread about the Passat?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm still somewhat amazed at how VW managed to cut the price so much on the Passat and yet they kept it competitive. The exterior AND interior look good despite increasing its size and cutting costs to make it more competitive, which is something competitors should take note of.

Another review of the 2012 Passat here

compared to the almighty benchmark, the Accord:
VS. 2011 Honda Accord SE

The VW trounces the Honda pretty thoroughly in some key areas. For a start, the Accord’s starting price is about $1000 higher than the Passat. It also lacks several of the features found standard on the VW, including Bluetooth and dual-zone climate control.

The Honda can’t quite capture the performance of the VW either. While we aren’t huge fans of the 2.5-liter I-5, it does boast an extra 16 pound-feet of torque. Factor in the Passat’s 80-pound weight advantage, and you get a mid-sizer that feels more surefooted under hard throttle.
and I had no idea the VR6 architecture was so old until cp3117 mentioned it. I'm curious to see if VW will soldier on with the VR6 or introduce a new engine in the works. Really surprising to see it do so well. Also really refreshing to see VW offer a TDI option, that slipped my mind for a bit. I just wish they offered it in base form without other options, it would be a real winner to offer 43 mpg highway in a midsize car.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Stop with the thread

Take this to the Accord or Sonata threads.
people need to stop taking this further and further off-topic. I simply don't get why you would take the opportunity to bash other cars with no relevance to the car the thread is dedicated to. Agree with you on the CC deserving its own thread now.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Yea they did a lot better job on the Passat than they did on the Jetta with the price cutting.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJfqgy4taNM
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Guess people who buy these family sedans don't really care about the straightline performance these days. Because obviously, Hyundai and Kia are selling fking well.
because all they see is 274hp, 269lbft of torque, and 2.0L I4.....and the Hyundai and Kia Ads...and their conclusion is very simple:

"whoa, more hp and torque than others, and it's only a 4-banger! That means super fast and super good mpg!"

Car and Driver? Motor Trend? Road and Track? Inside Line? Nah, they don't care.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
lets talk about this over at hyundai thread or something
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Good idea
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
** 2012 Motor Trend Car of The Year **

I was down in San Diego the last two weeks and heard this yesterday when my friend was looking at the new Passat TDi for his family.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...swagen_passat/

We where sitting in the new Passat SEL TDi with a 6MT. This is a very impressive vehicle in its class and I can see why its getting such rave reviews. This is the first time VW has won this award since 1985 with the GTI, so it must be impressing alot of people.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Wow! Car of the year for a N.A. purpose built model. That's some serious kudos for sure.

...but then again the TDI Passat is
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

VW Passat Alltrack 2012

Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Autocar

Volkswagen will launch this more rugged version of the Passat estate in 2012 after an official unveiling at next week’s Tokyo motor show. The Volkswagen Passat Alltrack will come equipped with all-wheel drive as standard in the UK and will sit between the Passat estate and the Tiguan in VW’s line-up.

While front-wheel drive and petrol versions will be offered in Europe, UK buyers will only be able to choose from a 2.0-litre turbodiesel with either 138bhp or 168bhp and equipped with VW’s 4Motion all-wheel drive technology. The lower-powered model gets a six-speed manual gearbox and the range-topper a six-speed DSG.

VW claims the Alltrack has genuine off-road capabilities, something emphasised with both its styling and equipment. The visual changes include a new design for the front and rear bumpers inspired by the Tiguan and Touareg SUVs and flared wheel arches wrapped in black plastic cladding. Despite the changes, the Alltrack’s length and width are identical to the Passat estate’s at 4771mm and 1820mm respectively.

The ramp breakaway angle (now 12.8 degrees), approach angle (16degs) and departure angle (13.6degs) have all been increased over the Passat estate, and the suspension has been raised by 30mm for a higher ground clearance, now at 165mm.

Another off-road addition for the Alltrack is VW’s ‘Off-Road Driving Programme’, which is also borrowed from the firm’s larger SUVs. This system works up to 18mph and electronically tunes equipment including the electronic differential, ABS, torque control, hill descent and, in the DSG-equipped car, gearbox shift points to provide a more focused off-road drive.

VW is pitching the Alltrack as an off-road lifestyle version of the Passat and has put particular emphasis on its towing ability. Just one trim range will be offered in the UK and will have equipment including an Alcantara upholstery and 18in alloys as standard.

Order books for the car are likely to open in April 2012 ahead of the first deliveries in July. Prices are yet to be confirmed, but expect it to sit atop the Passat range, priced from around £26,000.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
dash looks really cheap for the $$$.

when i think of the passat, i think of a watered down A6 counterpart. but look at how far the a6 interior has come over the past 10 years, and how little the passat interior improved over that time...im left expecting more. much more.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I was just gonna ask if they are gonna come out with a wagon and AWD, but they went all out with that now. I like it actually. But is this released in NA? vr6, dsg, awd would be sweet up here in Canada
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon

when i think of the passat, i think of a watered down A6 counterpart. but look at how far the a6 interior has come over the past 10 years, and how little the passat interior improved over that time...im left expecting more. much more.
I am with you on the interior, not the best
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Out with Allroad in with Alltrack.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I drive a Subata.

A6 vs Passat now?

You can buy 2 Passat for the price of well-equipped A6, no?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Question Cr

When a consumer reads a road test—from any source—they want to know that the reviewer isn’t playing games with the results, such as holding back data to make 1 product gain an unfair advantage. Equally, consumers want to know that the product delivers as advertised: that the smart phone battery does last the 8 hours between charges….that the music player does hold 16 gigs of data…that the toaster does accommodate Texas Toast.

But manufacturers try and game the product review process. There have been plenty of press vehicles that the Consumer Reports Autos engineers and editors have driven that felt just a teensy bit better than the version we bought at the dealership to test. Call it our calibrated seat-of-the-pants-meter (the butt-ometer, if you will), but every once in a while a car seems to be just a bit quicker, steers more crisply or is quieter and more refined as a press car than as the anonymous off-the-assembly-line version. Heck, even Ferrari goes to lengths to game the system, according to the website Jalopnik.

Which brings me to the 2012 Volkswagen Passat. When VW dropped off an early media car this summer, I remember looking at the trunk and saying to myself “well, at least both of the cheap hinges are dressed up with plastic covers, unlike the Jetta, which just has plastic on the side with the wiring.” As you can see in these 2 photos from Car & Driver and Edmunds it appears that the Passats in VW’s press fleet have covers on the hinges.

But not that Passat you just bought. No, your new Passat isn’t as nicely finished as the press version.

Like all the vehicles we put through testing, Consumer Reports buys retail samples at a car dealership. I personally purchased the Passat TDI we’re testing. (We also bought a 2.5 SE and a 3.6 SEL Premium.) As you can see in our images, none of the Passats have the two plastic covers found on the press cars. Consumers apparently only get a cover for the wiring loom hinge; the other 1 goes bare.

Is this a big deal? One, rather than 2, plastic covers? Well, if a manufacturer will go to great lengths to put an extra plastic cover on the press version to prevent criticism, what other lengths will they go to game the system and perform better in evaluations? Tweak the suspension, flash a computer, blueprint an engine, add extra sound deadening? Based on our past experiences, all these things and more have occurred. Shame on VW and the manufacturers who deceive the public through this practice.

Garnering initial buzz based on false expectations is a short-sighted way to build a brand and foster sales. The reputation always catches up in the long run. Rest assured, Consumer Reports will remain vigilant and impartial. After all, the products Consumer Reports tests—from $20 appliances to $90,000 cars—are the same ones you buy.

The following users liked this post:
65 Fury Convert (11-25-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
A6 vs Passat now?

You can buy 2 Passat for the price of well-equipped A6, no?
Not to mention they are completely different cars. If he was going to compare the Passat to the A4, ok. I can see that. They are in the same price range (high Passat/low A4).

This is the interior of the Outback 3.6R which would be the Alltrack's natural competitor in the US.

Give the Alltrack plood instead of painted silver on the dash and doors and a black leather interior and they're comparable.

A6 ...

An A6/A7 are $60-80k now. You could get two Passats and a Polo for the price of an A7 3.0T.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
I thought the interior of the Passat looks pretty nice and clean. What about it is so cheap from the pictures? This is a car that costs what 25k? What do you want in a 25k car?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jwong77
I thought the interior of the Passat looks pretty nice and clean. What about it is so cheap from the pictures? This is a car that costs what 25k? What do you want in a 25k car?
we are talking about the AWD wagon here. And that car will most likely be way more than 25k
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I drive a Subata.

Is it being released in NA? Sorry, if I missed it somewhere.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I doubt it, they said earlier that no wagons would be sold here.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Alltrack is only for the EU market.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by TSX69

When a consumer reads a road test—from any source—they want to know that the reviewer isn’t playing games with the results, such as holding back data to make 1 product gain an unfair advantage. Equally, consumers want to know that the product delivers as advertised: that the smart phone battery does last the 8 hours between charges….that the music player does hold 16 gigs of data…that the toaster does accommodate Texas Toast.

But manufacturers try and game the product review process. There have been plenty of press vehicles that the Consumer Reports Autos engineers and editors have driven that felt just a teensy bit better than the version we bought at the dealership to test. Call it our calibrated seat-of-the-pants-meter (the butt-ometer, if you will), but every once in a while a car seems to be just a bit quicker, steers more crisply or is quieter and more refined as a press car than as the anonymous off-the-assembly-line version. Heck, even Ferrari goes to lengths to game the system, according to the website Jalopnik.

Which brings me to the 2012 Volkswagen Passat. When VW dropped off an early media car this summer, I remember looking at the trunk and saying to myself “well, at least both of the cheap hinges are dressed up with plastic covers, unlike the Jetta, which just has plastic on the side with the wiring.” As you can see in these 2 photos from Car & Driver and Edmunds it appears that the Passats in VW’s press fleet have covers on the hinges.

But not that Passat you just bought. No, your new Passat isn’t as nicely finished as the press version.

Like all the vehicles we put through testing, Consumer Reports buys retail samples at a car dealership. I personally purchased the Passat TDI we’re testing. (We also bought a 2.5 SE and a 3.6 SEL Premium.) As you can see in our images, none of the Passats have the two plastic covers found on the press cars. Consumers apparently only get a cover for the wiring loom hinge; the other 1 goes bare.

Is this a big deal? One, rather than 2, plastic covers? Well, if a manufacturer will go to great lengths to put an extra plastic cover on the press version to prevent criticism, what other lengths will they go to game the system and perform better in evaluations? Tweak the suspension, flash a computer, blueprint an engine, add extra sound deadening? Based on our past experiences, all these things and more have occurred. Shame on VW and the manufacturers who deceive the public through this practice.

Garnering initial buzz based on false expectations is a short-sighted way to build a brand and foster sales. The reputation always catches up in the long run. Rest assured, Consumer Reports will remain vigilant and impartial. After all, the products Consumer Reports tests—from $20 appliances to $90,000 cars—are the same ones you buy.

Hmm...it would be nice if CR can come up with a list of manufacturers that have done this before...and for how many times.....
Old 11-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
I always had the mindset since the begining of time that the Jetta was an A4, and the Passat an A6, no? Are they no longer related in anyway?

identical placement of parts, and some parts are even duplicated entirely.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 11-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I drive a Subata.

Nope.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Race Director

True of the parts bin drivetrain stuff (like the 2.0T, the 6 DSG) but a lot of the other stuff is different.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I always had the mindset since the begining of time that the Jetta was an A4, and the Passat an A6, no? Are they no longer related in anyway?

identical placement of parts, and some parts are even duplicated entirely.
Euro Passat is more equal to Audi A4. Look at wheel base.
Jetta is more downgraded car.
A6 is class of its own now.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
The cool box which is available on the Euro Passet was a direct fit in our A4 Avant. In order for this to fit, it not only had to fit in the glove box itself, but had to have the exact same hooks into the ventilation pipe inside the dash to provide the cool air from the A/C.

I wouldn't be surprised if more of the A4 is similar to the Euro Passet.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glp8o...eature=related
Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Since I don't have $55k for an A4 Allroad, I would absolutely rock this.

Hell, I think VW should do a Jetta Sportwagen Allroad too.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by charliemike
Since I don't have $55k for an A4 Allroad, I would absolutely rock this.

Hell, I think VW should do a Jetta Sportwagen Allroad too.

No one would buy it, VW and Audi have poor reliability.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

No one would buy it, VW and Audi have poor reliability.
Haha, I would. I just do not like Japanese cars in that class.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

and who cares about 4 banger with a turbo. it sounds like camry.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

and who cares about 4 banger with a turbo. it sounds like camry.

yea, bunch of wannabes.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Race Director

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...NEWS/130709866

Volkswagen set a new Guinness World Record last week for lowest fuel consumption during an 8,122-mile tour of the lower 48 states in a Volkswagen Passat TDI Clean Diesel, achieving 77.99 mpg during the trip. This new record bested the previous one by about 10 mpg. During this record-setting trip the Passat TDI Clean Diesel also beat the hybrid record by more than 13 miles per gallon.

The 48-state trip took 14 days, with drivers Wayne Gerdes and Bob Winger purchasing only 104.94 gallons of Shell's ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel for the duration of the trip. Gerdes is the founder of cleanmpg.com and is quite skilled in hypermiling techniques, which the driving team utilized throughout the trip. But the driving team was quick to point out that the techniques they used for this record-setting trip were nothing out of the ordinary, and can be utilized by anyone. The techniques the team used during the trip included were steady acceleration from stoplights, using momentum to crest hills, and simply obeying the posted speed limits.

Volkswagen has a history of setting impressive records with their diesel cars, though the North American market hasn't always received the most efficient diesel sippers from this automaker. For example, the 1998-2005 Volkswagen Lupo, a car two sizes below the Golf, could achieve 78 mpg with a 1.2-liter 3-cylinder engine making 61 hp. The 1999 SEAT Arosa, based on the same platform as the Lupo, achieved similar figures.

We've always had a suspicion that the cheapest and lightest diesel cars were capable of taking on the modern hybrids when it came to fuel efficiency. Even diesel cars from more than 20 years ago had the ability to achieve amazing gas mileage, and demonstrated this by simply driving across a continent.

Back in 1989 a diesel Citroen AX hatch traveled on a 12-gallon tank of diesel from Dover, England, to Barcelona, Spain, setting a Guinness World Record and achieving 87mpg in the process. Other diesel cars from years ago were also able to impress with their modest fuel consumption habits, and they weren't always tiny hatches. The first-generation Mercedes-Benz A-class diesel mini-MPVs from 1997 managed to consistently achieve fuel economy figures in the 40 mpg to 60 mpg ranges. And those were essentially small, upright minivans.

The Volkswagen Passat TDI utilizes a turbocharged Clean Diesel engine with direct injection, and is rated at an EPA estimated 43 mpg on the highway. This essentially means that the car can do almost 800 miles before needing a fill-up. Volkswagen currently offers a total of six Clean Diesel models that produce similar miles per gallon figures.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Race Director

One has to wonder why the EPA hwy number is so low when in the real world without too many fancy techniques one can get MPG figures into the 70s.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Passat News