AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Volkswagen: Passat News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/volkswagen-passat-news-698053/)

gavriil 02-05-2003 10:32 PM

Volkswagen: Passat News

Reuters / February 05, 2003

FRANKFURT - Volkswagen AG may launch the new version of its key Passat family car towards the end of 2004, a company source said on Wednesday, later than many analysts had expected.

"I can imagine that it will be late autumn 2004," the source told Reuters.

The group is currently suffering from a weak point in its product cycle and is relying on forthcoming replacements for both its top-selling Golf and the high-margin Passat to avoid losing market share to fresher-faced rival models.

A Volkswagen spokesman said no final decision had been made on the exact timing of the Passat launch.

"We have never set a date for the market launch of the next Passat. So it is pure speculation to say that any dates have been pushed back," the spokesman said.

The company had in the past indicated it might consider changing the life-cycle of either the Golf or the Passat to avoid having to phase out two models at the same time and bear the cost of two near-simultaneous key launches.

A new version of the Golf is due to be unveiled later this year.

Delays to new car launches are not uncommon for carmakers. Volkswagen launched its Touran minivan, which goes on sale in Germany in March, later than expected because the new staff it hired to build the car needed more training.

gavriil 02-17-2003 07:33 PM

New gen. Passat possibility

http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/da...utozeitung.jpg

No idea on the reliability of this picture but it makes sense overall. Clues from the new A3 and Audi conepts we see at auto shows. Not bad.

NOVAwhiteTypeS 02-17-2003 07:43 PM

oooooooooooooo nice , real aggressive and nice. may be vw is moving away from the homosexual community

danny25 02-17-2003 08:09 PM

very nice. I definately see the A3 influence in the headlights. At first I thought the pic was the new Phateon (sp?) but it does look more like the size of the Passat.

InfernoTLS 02-17-2003 08:34 PM

I like it--but not as much as they are going to charge for it. The new Mits Evo 8 has my eye.

And Danny25--you are a post whore and a half! How did you find this new forum so quickly?

Zoot 02-17-2003 09:25 PM

looks like a Photochop of a Phaeton to me... :dunno: But whatever it is....I like what i see!

Six Shifter 02-17-2003 09:51 PM

you think that looks good, you should see the coupe that this platform will produce (European Car, September 2002, World News, bottom left page 16). if Audi doesn't do justice to the A4 based coupe, then VW may have the answer. being considered for spring '05 release, transversally mounted sixes (compact ones at that) starting @ 180hp, but rumours indicate possible chassis mods to accomodate larger engines, including the new 280hp W8.
photo may be computer generated, but frontend looks much like what is presented above. rather attractive car imho.

danny25 02-18-2003 08:57 AM

Originally posted by InfernoTLS

And Danny25--you are a post whore and a half! How did you find this new forum so quickly?

hahaha there's an announcement thread at the top of every forum, you're just to slow old man! :P :D

Awais 02-18-2003 11:28 AM

Re: New gen. Passat possibility

Originally posted by gavriil
Not bad.
not bad doesnt even justify it...if that is indeed the next Passat, but I doubt it is. Why would they have it so nice and shiny when all they want to do is to hide it from the prying eyes?

Its a Photoshop.

quikcls 02-21-2003 12:34 AM

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
oooooooooooooo nice , real aggressive and nice. may be vw is moving away from the homosexual community
:rofl: :werd:

III 02-21-2003 06:26 AM

looks good...

homosexual community?? lol :o

danny25 02-21-2003 01:10 PM

i guess you missed the list of the top 10 gay and lesbo vehicles. The bug, golf, and jetta were all on the list. :chuckle:

Red Rider 02-21-2003 10:27 PM

I like, way more aggressive looking.

blackmagiCL_S 02-23-2003 02:03 PM

danny25....is that a real list that was published somewhere? Where? I'd like to see it. It sounds like it might be funny. How many Subarus were on it? Besides the WRX, there seem to be a lot of rainbow stickers on Subarus. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

danny25 02-23-2003 02:46 PM

some one posted a link to it here, but it's been a while. a search might pull it up.

quikcls 02-27-2003 11:17 PM

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
danny25....is that a real list that was published somewhere? Where? I'd like to see it. It sounds like it might be funny. How many Subarus were on it? Besides the WRX, there seem to be a lot of rainbow stickers on Subarus. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)
i don't know about subaru and def not the wrx. but vw takes the trophie in that dept. the passat looks good. kinda has a accord influence to it.

soopa 02-28-2003 09:45 AM

looks like a phaeton.

dom 07-11-2003 02:51 PM

New 2005 Passat

2005 Passat

What do you think??

ClutchPerformer 07-11-2003 02:57 PM

Looks great--kinda like a mini-Phaeton. I like the wagon a lot. Reliability is still questionable.

Precision Crafted 07-11-2003 03:08 PM

Looks more upscale which is a good thing if they are going to compete with Mercedes.

brutus 07-11-2003 03:26 PM

the first ones look very sweet... mee likee the wagon!... maybe when the time comes I will replace my 2001 Passat with this bad boy... after I have paid for my TSX... problem with these pics is that there are 3 pages... and I like the first ones... the other 2 pages aren't as good... it is annoying that they put an overlay on the images.

Anyone have some other pics/sites to show off some other representations?

Good find,
B.

Professor Gascan 07-11-2003 04:01 PM

From what I've read over at VWvortex, the top four pics are pretty close to the real thing. The headlights are right on the money, and the general shape is right. A few details will be a little different though.

EmuMessenger 07-11-2003 04:13 PM

I like the screen above the glove box. It seems like a lot of European and Asian cars are Internet ready.

hondamike 07-11-2003 04:33 PM

I like the looks of it more than the 03 Accord IMO. However, their reliablility isn't even close to Honda's.

Jason 07-11-2003 04:44 PM

It looks nice but I'd never buy one at any price.

ebcheon 07-11-2003 06:10 PM

chick car... every owner of a jetta/passat i know is a girl.

iNteGraz92 07-11-2003 06:28 PM

Originally posted by ebcheon
a nice chick car :D

DISRUPTV 07-11-2003 09:24 PM

hey some hot milfs and chicks drive that car lol

JeffPhx 07-11-2003 10:42 PM

I like the looks a lot, very upscale and better than the Phaeton. The new Passat and the 04 TL remind me of each other. This new direction for Acura is a good one.

kystone 07-13-2003 06:26 PM

Wow, those pics look SWEET. Especially the pics from page one. I hope that's what the production car is going to look like. Too bad VW reliability still needs work.

Soze75 07-13-2003 07:02 PM

Nein, danke.

Zat car iz not to my liking

Count Blah 07-13-2003 08:16 PM

It's ok. Though this pic reminds me of the MazdaSpeed Mazda6.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~netcom1/passat...017%202004.jpg http://www.autojournal.de/nam1002/e2.jpg

soopa 07-14-2003 12:36 PM

i like it.

i like it alot.

and i think saying VW isnt up to par with modern Hondas is ludacris.

you all havent owned a new acura for long enough :chuckle:

Santacruz 07-14-2003 03:22 PM

:dunno: looks like more like an updated A4. Any idea on pricing?

id888 07-14-2003 05:23 PM

Gotta agree with Soopa

Maniacal one-brand-for-life drivers always amuse me. It may surprise some on this board that there are cars built by companies besides Honda that don't suck.

In 1998 I seriously considered buying a Honda Accord Coupe. Instead, five years later, I'm still happy driving our Passat. Fit and finish, superior. Driving characteristics, superior. Passenger space/trunk space, superior. Oh, and by the way, I don't have it towed on a flatbed to the dealer every week as some would suggest. The ONLY engine problem we've had since purchasing this car was a spark plug that went at 29k miles. Now, electrical problems, that's a whole other story...:D Anyway, my point is that VWs (or many other makes) can be sweet rides.

planman 07-14-2003 06:00 PM

Originally posted by ebcheon
Agreed...my wife drives a Passat 1.8T. Great car (we haven't had the dreaded reliability problems besides a bad radio), but I'd never buy it for myself...too soft.

Question for the group: Would anyone give the Passat more consideration in their car search if there was a "sport package" available. stiffer suspenson? bigger wheels? tightened/better weighted steering, etc.?

planman 07-14-2003 06:12 PM

Re: Gotta agree with Soopa

Originally posted by id888
Maniacal one-brand-for-life drivers always amuse me. It may surprise some on this board that there are cars built by companies besides Honda that don't suck.

In 1998 I seriously considered buying a Honda Accord Coupe. Instead, five years later, I'm still happy driving our Passat. Fit and finish, superior. Driving characteristics, superior. Passenger space/trunk space, superior. Oh, and by the way, I don't have it towed on a flatbed to the dealer every week as some would suggest. The ONLY engine problem we've had since purchasing this car was a spark plug that went at 29k miles. Now, electrical problems, that's a whole other story...:D Anyway, my point is that VWs (or many other makes) can be sweet rides.

Ditto for me. Wife's a big VW fan. She had an absolute base model Jetta right out of college that never needed anything but routine maintenance outside of a clutch at about 60K miles (she sat in gridlock for 2+ hours a day for 2 1/2 years).

So far, her 2003 Passat has been flawless after about a year and 12K miles.

One thing VW dealers have going for them is service. Ours treats you like you're at a Lexus shop. My experience with the local Acura dealer has been marginal to good...not exactly what I expect from a premium brand. BTW, I've owned two Integras (that's where my experience comes from).

Still gonna be hard to convince me to buy anything but Acura/Honda though...

hondamike 07-14-2003 06:42 PM

I have owned cars other than Honda (Chevy, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan). Before I bought my 00 Accord I drove the Passat, and I really liked it, a lot. However, reliability is very important to me. For those of us who get Consumers Reports, check out the reliability ratings of Accord and Passat. Honda is much better than average, whereas Passat is average. Granted, VW has improved their quality, but, generally speaking they are not as problem free as Hondas.

1killercls 07-15-2003 09:02 PM

wow...switch out the vw emblem to an
A emblem... looks kinda familiar...:confused: http://www.xs4all.nl/~netcom1/passat...015%202004.jpg

id888 07-15-2003 09:45 PM

I hear ya, Hondamike

I used to put a lot of faith in those red and black circles from Consumer Reports. I can't remember where they get their data from, but I have a hard time trusting it these days. If you consider JD Power, Consumer Reports, and some on-line reliability websites, there is little agreement. For example, how does Buick consistenly appear at the top on JD Power stuff?

I was seriously considering the new 9-3 before I heard of the TSX, and the 9-3 people insisted that their car was the most reliable European make on the market. After talking to all the Saab owners I could, those claims of reliability seemed ridiculous. Of course, being purchased by GM can't help matters any.