Volkswagen: Jetta News - Page 3 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volkswagen: Jetta News

Old 11-18-2004, 04:56 PM
  #81  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 46,806
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
VW just went generic
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 05:16 PM
  #82  
Old fart
 
TSX 'R' US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockford, IL
Age: 39
Posts: 20,455
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Still looks like a Corolla...
TSX 'R' US is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 05:31 PM
  #83  
Registered Member
 
cusdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
Still looks like a Corolla...


Definitely a Corolla
cusdaddy is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:04 PM
  #84  
04 remembrance
 
iamhomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me, or do you guys see a resemblance of the Honda Accord?
iamhomin is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
  #85  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 4,411
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eh
titan is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
  #86  
I SMELL NAWZ
 
SanJoseRoller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Side San Jose, CA
Age: 32
Posts: 1,546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
it does look very much like a corolla... the Jetta line never did anything for me, GOLF's are better
SanJoseRoller is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 07:52 PM
  #87  
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
 
Black CL-S 4-Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The City of Syrup Screwston, Texas
Posts: 14,079
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like it, looks better than the Accord to me.
Black CL-S 4-Life is offline  
Old 11-18-2004, 09:13 PM
  #88  
Fahrvergnügen'd
 
charliemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Age: 47
Posts: 13,025
Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
The car is big =o
charliemike is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
  #89  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jumpin' Jetta: Volkswagen releases new Jetta photos, details; debut set for '05 L.A. show - - Source: Autoweek

Volkswagen has released the first official photos and information of its all-new, fifth-generation Jetta sedan, which is set to make its worldwide debut at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show in January.

Due to go on sale this coming March in the U.S. and Canada, the new Jetta has been significantly restyled and features larger dimensions than its predecessor. Pricing and final details will be announced at the vehicle’s Los Angeles debut.


The new Jetta gets its first fully independent suspension system, using a multi-link rear and optimized front axle. A new, 2.5 liter, five-cylinder base engine generating 150 horsepower (versus the four-cylinder, 2.0-liter, 115 hp engine in the previous model) will power the vehicle. On the option list is a new six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic, featuring an available sport mode selection.

Later in 2005, Volkswagen will offer its DSG automanual transmission (available on TDI models only). Also available will be an electro-mechanical steering system, a new electronic stability program (ESP), and new-generation ABS all-disc brakes.

The new Jetta will be bigger than the outgoing model in several areas, with a larger trunk and more legroom to go with its updated interior. More standard comfort, safety and convenience features are also on tap. It will also have a stronger body than its predecessor, with double-digit improvements in its dynamic and torsional rigidity, according to VW.


The Jetta, which first went on sale in 1980 in the U.S., is Volkswagen’s most popular stateside vehicle, accounting for about 40 percent of the brand’s overall volume in the North Amercian market

It will be built at Volkswagen’s facility in Puebla, Mexico.




gavriil is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 06:50 PM
  #90  
"hey...wanna f^&k"
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NORTHEAST FLORIDA
Age: 35
Posts: 1,343
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
corolla type-rstgghajkmfnsdjknfsfsfsssss

will it come with free tacos
RR32CLS is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 07:25 PM
  #91  
Old fart
 
TSX 'R' US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockford, IL
Age: 39
Posts: 20,455
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
It's not bad looking... but it's a rebadged Corolla...with less reliability
TSX 'R' US is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 10:40 PM
  #92  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
It's not bad looking... but it's a rebadged Corolla...with less reliability

Sharing similiar tailights and nothing else =/ to the same. Siriously u have to be freaking blind to think this is a corolla. If anything the golf headlights fit better on this as a sedan than they do as a hatch.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 10:46 PM
  #93  
Old fart
 
TSX 'R' US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockford, IL
Age: 39
Posts: 20,455
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Sharing similiar tailights and nothing else =/ to the same. Siriously u have to be freaking blind to think this is a corolla. If anything the golf headlights fit better on this as a sedan than they do as a hatch.




TSX 'R' US is offline  
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 PM
  #94  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typical sheep, read what they say.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 01:01 AM
  #95  
Registered Member
 
cusdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Typical sheep, read what they say.
It's made in Mexico and based on VW's past track record, it will most likely fall apart in a few years. And to me, it still looks like a Corolla.
cusdaddy is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 AM
  #96  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 46,806
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Sharing similiar tailights and nothing else =/ to the same. Siriously u have to be freaking blind to think this is a corolla. If anything the golf headlights fit better on this as a sedan than they do as a hatch.
The overall shape of the car looks like a current gen corolla. From a front 3/4 angle the rear lines look civic-ish.

You could always see a jetta (any gen) on the road, from any distance, and know exaclty what it was without mistaking it for another.

This car looks as generic as any, and from a distance seems like it will most likely be mistaken for other makes.
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 10:45 AM
  #97  
337
 
CLUofI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Iowa City/Des Moines
Posts: 3,143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out www.vwvortex.com they have a good write up on the new jetta
CLUofI is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 01:01 PM
  #98  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 5,773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The back end kills it.
KCPreki11 is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 PM
  #99  
Senior Moderator
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Thanked 637 Times in 276 Posts
I think it will look good in another color for sure. Black would make it look good.
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 10:40 PM
  #100  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts





Uhuh.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 11:07 PM
  #101  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarlacc23
The overall shape of the car looks like a current gen corolla. From a front 3/4 angle the rear lines look civic-ish.

You could always see a jetta (any gen) on the road, from any distance, and know exaclty what it was without mistaking it for another.

This car looks as generic as any, and from a distance seems like it will most likely be mistaken for other makes.
You could say the same for most any new car, remaining the same = lost market share. The current jetta is overpriced considering its small as hell, I was totally disappointed in the jetta as far as size vs price, I couldn't even get in the back seat of this thing and pretend it was larger than a 911 back seat.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 PM
  #102  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 46,806
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
You could say the same for most any new car, remaining the same = lost market share. The current jetta is overpriced considering its small as hell, I was totally disappointed in the jetta as far as size vs price, I couldn't even get in the back seat of this thing and pretend it was larger than a 911 back seat.
I dont where the backseat and size comments are coming from...

But I was referring to exterior design. The jetta always stood. You always knew what it looked like, and could always pick it out of crowd without thinking it was another make of car.

This design is more generic, or rather picking up on the idea of making it look like every other car is competes against (much like the mid 90's luxo sedans all looked similar in shape)

I'm just saying the design lost the uniqueness it had for the last decade and a half.
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-20-2004, 11:55 PM
  #103  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarlacc23
I dont where the backseat and size comments are coming from...

But I was referring to exterior design. The jetta always stood. You always knew what it looked like, and could always pick it out of crowd without thinking it was another make of car.

This design is more generic, or rather picking up on the idea of making it look like every other car is competes against (much like the mid 90's luxo sedans all looked similar in shape)

I'm just saying the design lost the uniqueness it had for the last decade and a half.
Hows it generic, it reminds me more of a phaeton than a Toyota.The
Jetta stood as what? What has the Jetta ever stood as. It has never been anthing leading edge. If anything, this design has more to it than the current model.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 12:28 AM
  #104  
That's Racist
 
Time For Sleeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego native. UCLA resident. =)
Age: 33
Posts: 5,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it.
Time For Sleeep is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 12:46 AM
  #105  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 46,806
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Hows it generic, it reminds me more of a phaeton than a Toyota.The
Jetta stood as what? What has the Jetta ever stood as. It has never been anthing leading edge. If anything, this design has more to it than the current model.


I never said the jetta stood for anything ( i meant to say stood OUT, but i guess i forgot to type the word OUT.) I said the bodystyle always stood out, always was unique, always had its OWN identity, no other cars design looked like or really took after the jetta. a jetta was a jetta.

The new design is generic cause the overall shape of the car and lines look like, and from distances can be mistaken for other models of car.

And the phaetons look like passats. I think that everytime i see one on the highway, and take a second and then realize its a phaeton...nothing special about their designs either.
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 AM
  #106  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: philly
Posts: 4,426
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sarlacc23]you're reading comprehension is beginning to boggle me right now.

I never said the jetta stood for anything. [QUOTE]

I guess if you want to pick apart words. The jetta design hasn't stood for any meaning, it hasn't broken any ground in the automotive world.

You say this new jetta looks:

"The overall shape of the new car looks like a current gen corolla."

I could see if the old jetta was the hottness, but to this day the old jetta aint hot. The new car actually brings a higher level of design down to the 20k market. The car has some of the presence as an A8 with its own new identity.
heyitsme is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 01:21 AM
  #107  
The Third Ball
 
Sarlacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Age: 39
Posts: 46,806
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,974 Posts
[QUOTE=heyitsme]
Originally Posted by sarlacc23

I guess if you want to pick apart words. The jetta design hasn't stood for any meaning, it hasn't broken any ground in the automotive world.

You say this new jetta looks:

"The overall shape of the new car looks like a current gen corolla."

I could see if the old jetta was the hottness, but to this day the old jetta aint hot. The new car actually brings a higher level of design down to the 20k market. The car has some of the presence as an A8 with its own new identity.
Sigh, you really read what you want, and make it up from there dont you.

Yeah, the overall shape does look like a new corolla.

BUT I NEVER said the jetta design stood for any meaning, and i NEVER said the jetta design was groundbreaking. And I NEVER said the design of the jetta was the hotness.

What I DID SAY was the jetta has always had its own unique look. And this new design is generic.

And this new design has no presence of the A8 whatsoever, but thanks for the chuckle.
Sarlacc is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 11:10 AM
  #108  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLUofI
check out www.vwvortex.com they have a good write up on the new jetta
Yes, here:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1062.shtml
gavriil is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
  #109  
Fahrvergnügen'd
 
charliemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Age: 47
Posts: 13,025
Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
Ok, Maybe I don't know how to do math very well but if they took a Gallardo V10 and cut it in half, why does it have about 30% of the HP?

That 2.5L 5-cyl should have about 250hp
charliemike is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 10:34 PM
  #110  
Pinky all stinky
 
phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,499
Thanked 118 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Ok, Maybe I don't know how to do math very well but if they took a Gallardo V10 and cut it in half, why does it have about 30% of the HP?

That 2.5L 5-cyl should have about 250hp
They also halved the displacement, though...from 5.0L to 2.5L.
phile is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 10:48 PM
  #111  
Registered Member
 
cusdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
They also halved the displacement, though...from 5.0L to 2.5L.


If they cut the engine in half, wouldn't it be a given that the displacement is cut in half????
cusdaddy is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 10:52 PM
  #112  
Pinky all stinky
 
phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,499
Thanked 118 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy


If they cut the engine in half, wouldn't it be a given that the displacement is cut in half????
Yeah, no shit...but notice I was clarifying it for someone who obviously didn't know that engine power is also determined by displacement and not just the number of cylinders.
phile is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 10:58 PM
  #113  
Registered Member
 
cusdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Yeah, no shit...but notice I was clarifying it for someone who obviously didn't know that.
Who didn't know that?

charliemike was saying that if the Gallardo's 500hp engine thats a 5.0L 10 cylinder got cut in half, it would be like the new Jetta's 5-cylinder 2.5L engine. But it's only 150hp instead of the assumed 250hp (half of 500hp). Makes perfect sense to me. In his statement he mentioned the 2.5L engine.

The answer though is that the Gallardo engine is an expensive, low volume, blueprinted, high fuel consumption, high performance engine.

The Jetta engine is high-volume that needs to be cheap, efficient and reliable. It's seriously de-tuned to be all that.
cusdaddy is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
  #114  
Fahrvergnügen'd
 
charliemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Age: 47
Posts: 13,025
Thanked 1,357 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Who didn't know that?

charliemike was saying that if the Gallardo's 500hp engine thats a 5.0L 10 cylinder got cut in half, it would be like the new Jetta's 5-cylinder 2.5L engine. But it's only 150hp instead of the assumed 250hp (half of 500hp). Makes perfect sense to me. In his statement he mentioned the 2.5L engine.

The answer though is that the Gallardo engine is an expensive, low volume, blueprinted, high fuel consumption, high performance engine.

The Jetta engine is high-volume that needs to be cheap, efficient and reliable. It's seriously de-tuned to be all that.
I was also joking ... Which is why I put a smiley face

Though a 40% power loss (150hp/250hp = 60%) to make it high-volume seems excessive doesn't it?
charliemike is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 03:16 PM
  #115  
Pinky all stinky
 
phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20,499
Thanked 118 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy

charliemike was saying that if the Gallardo's 500hp engine thats a 5.0L 10 cylinder got cut in half, it would be like the new Jetta's 5-cylinder 2.5L engine. But it's only 150hp instead of the assumed 250hp (half of 500hp). Makes perfect sense to me. In his statement he mentioned the 2.5L engine.
It wasn't obvious to me that he knew the original 10-cylinder was 5.0L in displacement; of course he mentioned the 2.5L engine...the article posted here states it's a 2.5L engine...

And besides, why do you feel it's your obligation to point out that I'm pointing out the obvious? I was merely trying to answer his inquiry.
phile is offline  
Old 11-22-2004, 04:38 PM
  #116  
Pit Stop?
 
Minch00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orlando FL
Age: 33
Posts: 13,526
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow those wheels are almost the same as the Accord Coupe 6-speed wheels......
Minch00 is offline  
Old 12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
  #117  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 04:10 PM
  #118  
Moderator Alumnus
Thread Starter
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts








Source: Autoweek Forums

More Pics Here
gavriil is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
  #119  
Registered Member
 
mclarenf3387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 8,620
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Am I the only one who hates that HUMONGUOUS front grill??

And the body looks to tall. Too much space between the wheel arch and the top of the hood/trunk.

Otherwise it looks pretty good
mclarenf3387 is offline  
Old 12-19-2004, 05:24 PM
  #120  
That's Racist
 
Time For Sleeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego native. UCLA resident. =)
Age: 33
Posts: 5,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front proportios look real close to the new generation golf. I like it.

Back still looks like a Corolla.
Time For Sleeep is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Jetta News


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.