Automotive News
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volkswagen: Jetta News

Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Ex-OEM King

Thanked 1,526 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2 View Post
^ Maybe, but it's CVT only in Touring trim.
Honda CVT is actually pretty good as far as CVT's go. It's far better than the crappy rubber band that Nissans have.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM
2013 Ford Focus ST

Thanked 1,197 Times in 762 Posts
^ Maybe, but it's CVT only in Touring trim.
Haven't tried Honda's CVT yet but what the hell Honda?! So only the LX and Sport have the 6MT available, and the EX, EX-L, and Sport Touring have CVT only... I hate when they do this. Why can't they build a Sport Touring and put a 6MT in it? Honda always limits packages/options to trim levels and that's very annoying.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 4,401 Times in 3,311 Posts
It's not Honda's fault the take rate is so incredibly small for manual transmissions. It's even less their fault that most people will not buy a loaded car with a manual.

Some of us would. But even so, it's not like we're buying a new car every two years. Between all the brands still offering a manual, there likely isn't enough of a take rate on them. I remember back in 2006, Honda released a 6MT version of the Accord Sedan. It was a top trim car with a 6MT... they had one sit in the showroom for over a year before it sold at my local dealership, at a heavily discounted price. They couldn't move it for the life of them... and this was 12 years ago.

Personally, I love the idea of a loaded civic with a manual... but I dunno if I'd actually buy one. Maybe. But then I'd also then put the CTR into heavy consideration also. And honestly, I prefer them to have a CTR in the first place, rather than just a loaded civic with the same 1.5T all other civics have, and just a 6MT thrown into the mix.
The Following User Says Thank You to TacoBello For This Useful Post:
Costco (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1 View Post
Haven't tried Honda's CVT yet but what the hell Honda?! So only the LX and Sport have the 6MT available, and the EX, EX-L, and Sport Touring have CVT only... I hate when they do this. Why can't they build a Sport Touring and put a 6MT in it? Honda always limits packages/options to trim levels and that's very annoying.
The 2.0T models come with the 10 speed AT. Only the 1.5T models have the CVT.

Also, I agree. At this point people are buying the manual because they want a manual and not for cost purposes. Selling a fully decked out manual transmission would probably move more models than a stripped down example since most enthusiasts want things like leather and all the gadgets and gizmos.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

Honda (and most all other brands) seems to think otherwise.

I'm sure they know better than we do. At least I hope. Otherwise
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Or... I wonder if they're a bit behind on the times with the MT trend. Maybe the market has shifted to upstream manual cars and they haven't figured that out yet. Seems plausible enough to me.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by TacoBello View Post
Or... I wonder if they're a bit behind on the times with the MT trend. Maybe the market has shifted to upstream manual cars and they haven't figured that out yet. Seems plausible enough to me.
Right. The fact that they are all strippers probably plays a huge role in the really low take rate since not many want that. I bet the take rate of a base model Accord LX 1.5T CVT is also really low. IMO, if I can't get leather, heated seats, and nav along with my MT that's reason enough for me to just get the (still very good) automatic instead.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I agree. I've always been an options whore with every car I've owned. I want the top trim model for that particular year. And I want it in a manual. That's how my last ten personal cars all were.

But... I've never bought a car new. Hell, my Nismo was even just barely used when I bought it. Only once did I buy new and it wasn't even for me (for the SO). I'm not the kind of buyer car companies want

I wont even bat an eye at a base model car, just because it has a manual. Zero interest.

Hell, I don't even want a medium appointed car (Accord Sport) with a manual. It just leaves me thinking of what else I left on the table, just to get a manual. No thanks.

Last edited by TacoBello; 06-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,032 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/vw...debut-detroit/

Like the Volkswagen Golf GTI, but wish it had a trunk in place of a liftgate at the back? That’d be the Jetta GLI. And the latest word has it that the new model will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit come January.

The news comes from Autoblog.com.ar (via of Motor1), which spoke to José Carlos Pavone – head of design for Volkswagen do Brasil – at the launch of the new Jetta in South America, where it’s known as the Vento.

“I estimate that Vento GLI could be presented in January, during the Detroit Show,” Pavone told the Argentinian website. “The sports version was specifically designed for the tastes of the North American market,” and will have its own unique five-spoke alloys and a black roof.

More to the point, the new Jetta GLI is expected to borrow its 2.0-liter turbo four directly from the Golf GTI, where it produces 220 horsepower (164 kW) and 258 lb-ft (349 Nm) of torque. That’d bring the little sports sedan more in line with the hot hatch, instead of trailing behind it in power and performance as it has in the past.

That’d put it in a better position to take on the likes of the Honda Civic Si, Hyundai Elantra Sport, and Subaru WRX in the market for compact performance sedans, and give VW a more compelling offering for those who like their performance in a three-box shape. And if the report proves accurate, we can anticipate the new Jetta GLI’s debut in just a few months from now.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

https://www.motor1.com/news/267623/n...tta-gli-spied/

Caught in Argentina, this version has 230 hp and several features from the Golf GTI.

With the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta already among us, we are very much looking forward to the sportier GLI variant. Not that 147 horsepower (110 kilowatts) in the base model is boring, but there's always room for more power. The new generation of VW's much-loved sedan has not yet received a power upgrade, but that should change at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit come January. The Motor1.com team in Brazil found the new model in neighboring Argentina before VW wants you to see it.

These images published by our friends at Argentina Autoblog show the Volkswagen Jetta GLI in the airport covered by plastic sheets for protection. An astute reader named Luis. R. A. sent the photos to the site, getting up close to the new car to show us details of the interior and of the rear, where GLI logos can be easily seen on both the base of the steering wheel and the trunk lid – equal to that of Golf GTI.

Like all other Jetta versions, the GLI will be built in Mexico for all of North and South America. The best part is that it will feature the 2.0 TSI turbocharged engine from the Golf GTI, producing 230 hp (172 kW) which goes through a DSG dual clutch automatic gearbox, or a standard-issue six-speed manual. It will also be the only version of the sedan in this generation to have multilink suspension in the rear; the other Jetta configurations will continue to use a torsion beam setup.

In an interview with Argentina Autoblog, José Carlos Pavone, Volkswagen's chief of design for South America, said that the Jetta GLI will have a more aggressive and sportier design than the R-Line. This can be seen on five-spoke alloy wheels with red lines similar to those of the Golf GTI, not to mention the black roof. We can't wait for its arrival.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Too bad the Jetta is so much more compared to the GTI.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Ex-OEM King

Too bad the Jetta is so much more compared to the GTI.
Yup. Other than the looks, this will be a solid car. I saw my first Jetta in the wild and it was really fugly. The back end is fine but it's definitely a butterface.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

IMO, the MK4 & MK6 were the better looking cars. Never cared much for the MK5, though the DSG GLI was fun to drive.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/10/...ago-auto-show/

In spring 2018, we learned that the new-and-improved Volkswagen Jetta GLI would be arriving within the year, and now we have confirmation that VW is sticking to its word. The GLI, the performance-oriented variant of the Jetta, will debut in late winter 2019 at the Chicago Auto Show.

When it wasn't talking about its huge onslaught of incoming electric vehicles, Volkswagen had its attention throughout 2018 pointed on the launch of the 2019 Jetta, the start of the seventh generation of the compact family sedan. After debuting the Mark 7 Jetta at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show, the nameplate has popped up throughout the year for a variety of reasons. VW made a special Jetta for the the European Experience car show, it brought out numerous custom Jettas for SEMA (the H&R Special Springs R-Line is pictured), and it built a Bonneville Jetta intended for a speed record. It's no coincidence all of these builds try to brush off the economical character of the four-door and lean into its sporting side.

The buildup culminates with the upcoming launch of the Jetta GLI, which a VW representative confirmed will debut at the Chicago Auto Show, Feb. 9-18. The unveiling will take place in the press days before the show goes live.

From previous reporting, we believe the GLI will be properly hotted-up. Based on past conversations, VW has indicated the GLI will adopt a multi-link independent rear suspension, leaving the torsion-beam setup for the lower-trim Jettas. Under the hood will be a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder mill that we expect will be the same tuned engine found in the GTI, which has 220 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel. That should link to either a six-speed manual transmission or the seven-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic.

If VW is truly bringing GTI characteristics to the Jetta, then the GLI should offer a much more fun experience than can be found in the current lineup. We'll let you know official numbers and information as it comes in the next two months.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,224 Posts

IMO, the MK4 & MK6 were the better looking cars. Never cared much for the MK5, though the DSG GLI was fun to drive.
An underrated thing about the MK4 is that you learn how to change fuses while you're driving, pretty cool.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Costco View Post
An underrated thing about the MK4 is that you learn how to change fuses while you're driving, pretty cool.