AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Volkswagen: Golf News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/volkswagen-golf-news-115017/)

gfxdave99 09-26-2004 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jwaters943
V is roman numerals meaning this is the 5th generation Golf. The R32 you mentioned is built off the current 4th generation platform. Expect to see the new R32 off of the new 5th generation platform in 2-3 years. VW is kind of slow with releasing sporty models of existing lines and the other side of the Atlantic always gets them first.

:agree:

gfxdave99 09-26-2004 05:42 PM

Ugh i wouldnt want to have to deal with cleaning bug guts out of those eggcrate inserts all over the front.. :(

gavriil 09-26-2004 10:02 PM

Volkswagen Golf R32 News **At our shores in June '07 (page 3)**

Spy Shots: 2006 Volkswagen R32 - - The Super Golf gets a successor - - By by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image

Volkswagen launches the new GTI version of the Golf V this week in Paris, and already a sportier version is in the making. Seen here for the first time in the open is the replacement of the former Golf R32 doing high-speed testing at Germany's Nürburgring racetrack.

The next Golf R32 will be powered by a 3.2-liter V-6 engine with 250 horsepower. Top speed is estimated to rate around 150 mph. Again the new R32 will be equipped with 4Motion AWD and will be offered with either with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

From the outside, the new version can be distinguished from the GTI by its two big exhaust pipes. (On the pictured prototype, VW engineers might have added the ordinary GTI exhaust pipes to the left of the real exhaust pipes to disguise the new model). The car's front and rear skirts have a different shape as well.

The R32 is scheduled for launch at next year's Frankfurt Motor Show, and another even more powerful R36 version delivering 280 hp is said to be in the works for 2007.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...8386_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...8387_image.jpg

gavriil 09-26-2004 10:04 PM

I would have guessed that the rumored 3.6 liter engine would be ready for the 2006 new gen. car launch. Everything is happening late at VW. No lessons learned whatsoever. This thing has been crying for more power since its inception and it takes them 2.5 years to do it. Sounds like Mitsu to me... And 280 is already not enough even if it were available today. I mean if you're gonna go against the Sti and Evo, you need to be competitive.

cusdaddy 09-26-2004 10:07 PM

Looks okay, but I'm not a huge fan of this new design. I think I like the current R32 better, although it is slightly dated looking.

What's up with the exhaust on that test mule?

gavriil 09-26-2004 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gavriil
Weight, 1320 kilos vs 820 kilos. And there lies the problem with the current GTi and the ones of the past 10 years.

I spoke too soon:

VW To Build GTI Light - - By Craig Cheetham - - Source: Autoexpress

It's lift-off for the GTI Light! Auto Express can exclusively reveal that Volkswagen is to build a stripped-out version of the new Golf, offering up to 230bhp.

We learned of the newcomer during an exclusive interview with VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder. The car, set to go on sale in early 2006, has been created purely for keen drivers. He told us: "There are plans for variations of the Golf model, maybe with up to 230bhp and a lighter weight. Ostensibly, however, there will only be one GTI - it's a car in its own right, and not a trim level."

Losing excess weight will be the key, so the doors, bonnet and tailgate will be made from hi-tech alloy to keep the bodyshell light. Non-essential comfort features, such as the weighty components for the air-conditioning system and electric window motors, will be ditched completely. If the firm's engineers get it right, the result should be sensational acceleration and amazing agility.

The standard version's blown FSI engine will be uprated, using a larger turbocharger and a remapped ECU to deliver in the region of 230bhp, along with a 0-60mph sprint time of around six seconds. Lightweight models aren't new; we revealed Renault's second-generation Clio Cup in last week's magazine. However, the development is a move into uncharted waters for VW.

This latest performance Golf is designed to counter the threat from the hot versions of all-new offerings in the small family hatchback market, such as the Vauxhall Astra and Ford Focus.

cusdaddy 09-26-2004 10:53 PM

Great idea.. Bringing the GTI back to it's roots.

gavriil 09-26-2004 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
What's up with the exhaust on that test mule?

Tries to fool spies that it's a Golf GTi instead.

biker 09-27-2004 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by gfxdave99
Ugh i wouldnt want to have to deal with cleaning bug guts out of those eggcrate inserts all over the front.. :(

Can't be any worse than a Chrysler 300. :toocool:

majesty 09-27-2004 04:47 PM

vw fucking this up again, only 280hp? the sti and evo already produce that much, i would think the r36 would make 300hp while the r32 could remain at 250ish...

gavriil 09-28-2004 03:13 PM

Autoexpress calls it a 260HP engine and 3.4 liters

Getting worse and worse...

Time For Sleeep 09-28-2004 05:55 PM

Rear end reminds me of a Mazda 3. Front end reminds me of a Matrix. ... but I like it.

heyitsme 09-28-2004 07:42 PM

280 would be great right now, but 2-3 years from now, not all that impressive as a sport hatch, maybe as a luxury hatch it would be ok.

F23A4 09-29-2004 08:19 AM

It's not so much the HP. It's the effectiveness of the HP. ;) I'm not a VW fan but, let's just wait and see. Besides, it's nowhere near as pathetic as a GM 3800 Series II 3.8L V6 that only puts out 200hp NA and 260hp with SC.

gavriil 09-29-2004 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
It's not so much the HP. It's the effectiveness of the HP. ;) I'm not a VW fan but, let's just wait and see. Besides, it's nowhere near as pathetic as a GM 3800 Series II 3.8L V6 that only puts out 200hp NA and 260hp with SC.

The goal of the GM engine is totally different. It's not used in a sport hatchback. You can tell from that fact that it's not going for all out power. In a sport hatchback situation where you're going after the Sti you need more power. Of course, I am hearing that this engine will still further be massaged to make more than 300 but that's just rumors for now.

F23A4 09-29-2004 01:31 PM

The goal of the GM engine is totally different. It's not used in a sport hatchback. You can tell from that fact that it's not going for all out power. In a sport hatchback situation where you're going after the Sti you need more power. Of course, I am hearing that this engine will still further be massaged to make more than 300 but that's just rumors for now.

Point is, you guys are knocking the R34 based on preliminary numbers (which sound decent to me), making it sound as though it were a GM 3800 Series II (context).

Give it a chance and see how it works out. For goodness sakes, the Forrester XT's specs don't sound great either but it's good enough to run upper 13 second ETs. And with a probably curb weight of 3400lbs (the current R32 weighs 3409lbs), the R34's torque is just as important as HP.

:2cents:

Crazy Bimmer 09-29-2004 02:22 PM

if they are making it lighter then 280hp will be plenty

N.O.6speed 09-29-2004 02:40 PM

i kinda think its ugly

gavriil 09-29-2004 03:43 PM

Point is, you guys are knocking the R34 based on preliminary numbers (which sound decent to me), making it sound as though it were a GM 3800 Series II (context).

Give it a chance and see how it works out. For goodness sakes, the Forrester XT's specs don't sound great either but it's good enough to run upper 13 second ETs. And with a probably curb weight of 3400lbs (the current R32 weighs 3409lbs), the R34's torque is just as important as HP.

:2cents:

True, but we know from the current R32 what to expect pretty much. The main issue is that it's super heavy for the power and for what it wants to compete as. Even with 280 HP not much would have been solved. You need 320 HP for that thing to shine. But maybe the next R Golf will be a lot lighter. Already they are talking about a lighter GTi version. Maybe the R3x will be benefited from that effort as well. Who knows.

heyitsme 09-29-2004 04:00 PM

Think the issue is 280hp is where its at now, not two years from now. Two years from now it will be the same situation as they have with the r32 now - nice power but underpowered compared to the competition.

charliemike 09-29-2004 07:30 PM

If the R34 is around $30k then 260hp just won't cut it.

Just think about everything in that price range and I think they all beat it ... except the RX8

Mustang, G/Z, STi, Evo, and GTO ...

How can VW compete when they'll all smoke it?

gavriil 09-29-2004 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think the issue is 280hp is where its at now, not two years from now. Two years from now it will be the same situation as they have with the r32 now - nice power but underpowered compared to the competition.

Exactly. I mean the STi better make 330 HP 2-3 years from now. Or more. So then you're 50 behind and you just came out with a new engine.

unless if VW wants the R3x to compete with the WRX and the rumored higher rated Golf to compete with the STi.

F23A4 09-29-2004 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike
If the R34 is around $30k then 260hp just won't cut it.

Just think about everything in that price range and I think they all beat it ...

Acura TL @ $33k = 270hp and it seems to sell just fine; and it still has no torque. :dunno:

It's premature to bury it before it's born. BTW, we dont even know its equipment package yet. I mean, a fully loaded Cooper S will run you almost $30k, the TSX w/Navi still only has a 200hp 4cyl and the $35k IS300 only has 215hp. :dunno: In this company, the R34 will probably hold its own.

As for the STi and Evo comparison, those are strictly fad cars. People get them today and sell them tomorrow. There are a number of used STis and Evos for sale in the used car market here in NJ; and many have low miles. That said, I dont see where STi/Evo competition would motivate VW when it comes to the Gti. I'm sure they just want a small niche car in their extensive Golf lineup. :2cents:

GS Audio 09-29-2004 09:35 PM

I would like to see this car in person before stating any opinions.

As a VW fanatic, I am pretty disappointed in the power output of the current R32. I mean, $31K for a 240 Golf?? Not a "smart" buy in my opinion. I'd rather have an STi for that kind of money.

Just my .02 cents!

charliemike 09-29-2004 09:35 PM

Acura TL @ $33k = 270hp and it seems to sell just fine; and it still has no torque. :dunno:

It's premature to bury it before it's born. BTW, we dont even know its equipment package yet. I mean, a fully loaded Cooper S will run you almost $30k, the TSX w/Navi still only has a 200hp 4cyl and the $35k IS300 only has 215hp. :dunno: In this company, the R34 will probably hold its own.

As for the STi and Evo comparison, those are strictly fad cars. People get them today and sell them tomorrow. There are a number of used STis and Evos for sale in the used car market here in NJ; and many have low miles. That said, I dont see where STi/Evo competition would motivate VW when it comes to the Gti. I'm sure they just want a small niche car in their extensive Golf lineup. :2cents:

It won't matter what equipment package it has.

The STi/Evo don't last because they are probably far more severe than most people thought before owning them. The VW dealership experience and initial quality problems are so severe that IMO the R34 needs to be better than its competition just to have a chance to get me in the dealership. If it's not, then they'll never see my $$.

Sly Raskal 09-30-2004 06:03 PM

I can't wait to see what comes out of development of the R36 in 2007....guess i gotta wait, damnit!

F23A4 10-01-2004 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by slyraskal
I can't wait to see what comes out of development of the R36 in 2007....guess i gotta wait, damnit!

Yup. :nod:

heyitsme 10-06-2004 04:25 PM

http://response.jp/issue/2004/1006/a...ages/73674.jpg http://response.jp/issue/2004/1006/a...ages/73676.jpg http://response.jp/issue/2004/1006/a...ages/73675.jpg

03typeS6spd 10-07-2004 08:36 AM

http://response.jp/issue/2004/1006/a...ages/73675.jpg

is that plaid?

:puke:

at least their dashboard ergonomics appear to be getting smoother ala honda...

jpswanberg 10-13-2004 10:47 AM

I'm a previous owner of a highly modified 02 GTI, and I drove a new Golf V a couple of weeks ago in Ireland. After 1000 miles of driving it over 11 days, I have a few observations on the base 1600. First, the interior in the front is a little bigger than my Mk. 4, and the rea is still cramped, but perhaps not as bad. The 1600 engine is slow but very frugal. I doubt we will ever see it here. The base suspension works ok on bad roads, but is not in the least sporty. The worst thing is that there is no more arm rests in the front (my wife and I brought our arms down on the handbrake/cupholders too many times, thinking there should be an armrest). The coolest thing is that the hatchback opens by using the VW logo. JPS

charliemike 12-17-2004 12:12 PM

Mk V Golf GTI Videos

Great vids of the car

Fifth Gear Vid

Top Gear Vid Review

Top Gear Track Test Vid

Time For Sleeep 12-17-2004 02:59 PM

Wow to the plaid seats. Oddly enough however, I like it.

charliemike 12-17-2004 09:40 PM

I REALLY want to like this car. I want it to be good so I can consider it next fall. I want a hot hatchback and right now it's the Cooper S and the Mazda 3 and that's about it for me. And sadly, the Mazda 3 really ain't all that hot :(

I don't consider the RSX the same type of car as a Golf though guess it is ...

goldmemberer 12-18-2004 04:44 PM

I see no reason for them to recommend the new GTI over the Civic Type R. They even say that it's more expensive and slower. The Civic is just as practical and as far as looks go, the GTI wins but for how long?

The Top Gear review really did overplay the importance of the GTI, but hey, they have to sensationalize it or else nobody will want a thin haired british fatty to grace their television screens on a regular basis. Good for them. Cool car, I think the R32 equivalent for this gen will be something to consider, but it's not as revolutionary as it is evolutionary.

charliemike 12-18-2004 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
I see no reason for them to recommend the new GTI over the Civic Type R. They even say that it's more expensive and slower. The Civic is just as practical and as far as looks go, the GTI wins but for how long?

The Top Gear review really did overplay the importance of the GTI, but hey, they have to sensationalize it or else nobody will want a thin haired british fatty to grace their television screens on a regular basis. Good for them. Cool car, I think the R32 equivalent for this gen will be something to consider, but it's not as revolutionary as it is evolutionary.

Couple of things:

I don't know how old you are, and I have no intention of insulting you, so I don't know if you were even alive or much older than a toddler when the first GTI hit the market (I was 12). There was nothing like it at the time and certainly nothing like it before it came out. It's not accurate to say that there would be no Civic Type R without the original GTI but that class of car owes a lot to the originial GTI.

The Civic Type R is afflicted with the same problem that every automotive journalist has said about the S2000 ... unless you drive around at 6500RPM the car is a dog.

That, in and of itself, is enough reason for me to recommend the GTI over the Type R.

gocubsgo55 12-19-2004 12:27 AM

Couple of things:

I don't know how old you are, and I have no intention of insulting you, so I don't know if you were even alive or much older than a toddler when the first GTI hit the market (I was 12). There was nothing like it at the time and certainly nothing like it before it came out. It's not accurate to say that there would be no Civic Type R without the original GTI but that class of car owes a lot to the originial GTI.

The Civic Type R is afflicted with the same problem that every automotive journalist has said about the S2000 ... unless you drive around at 6500RPM the car is a dog.

That, in and of itself, is enough reason for me to recommend the GTI over the Type R.

very very true. Honda gets equal or more HP than many v6's out of their 4's, but the problem is the torque. there is nothing out there that can boost up torque naturally (without forced induction). The Civic and s2000 are awesome track cars, but for everyday "all-the-time" fun, the GTI excells. I'm not sure I said what I was trying to say right, but I think you get the point... High-revving engines need to be kept up high to do their thing.

goldmemberer 12-19-2004 08:35 AM

Couple of things:

If your post were poorly worded, I wouldn't have paid any attention to it. But you evidently know what you're talking about, so I'll divulge into the specifics of my original post.

The original GTI, needless to say, is legendary. It may well be right to say that there would be no Civic Type R without the GTI. My original post was specific to the new GTI, not a thing of it applied to the multi-generational GTI line as a whole.

Secondly, to the torque vs. sheer power point: I can't argue with it much. For a fun daily driver, of course torque is more of a necessity than Honda thinks it to be.

But how fun is it to have your car in the shop for repairs? Honda makes more reliable cars than VW, their build quality is just as good, styling is too subjective to call on (plus there's no new Civic Type R), and the Civic Type R is a good deal cheaper than the new GTI. Is the Civic Type R a better car than the new GTI? Maybe in some areas, but not overall.

Is it a better car for the money? You bet. And from a less journalistic and more average Joe Q. Carbuyer vantage point, what else matters more?

If the GTI did everything it does in 2-3k less (a big deal at its pricepoint), I would heartily recommend it over the Civic R. That's all. I'm 19 by the way, and I had no interest in cars before the age of 18, when I bought myself a CL.

charliemike 12-19-2004 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
If your post were poorly worded, I wouldn't have paid any attention to it. But you evidently know what you're talking about, so I'll divulge into the specifics of my original post.

The original GTI, needless to say, is legendary. It may well be right to say that there would be no Civic Type R without the GTI. My original post was specific to the new GTI, not a thing of it applied to the multi-generational GTI line as a whole.

Secondly, to the torque vs. sheer power point: I can't argue with it much. For a fun daily driver, of course torque is more of a necessity than Honda thinks it to be.

But how fun is it to have your car in the shop for repairs? Honda makes more reliable cars than VW, their build quality is just as good, styling is too subjective to call on (plus there's no new Civic Type R), and the Civic Type R is a good deal cheaper than the new GTI. Is the Civic Type R a better car than the new GTI? Maybe in some areas, but not overall.

Is it a better car for the money? You bet. And from a less journalistic and more average Joe Q. Carbuyer vantage point, what else matters more?

If the GTI did everything it does in 2-3k less (a big deal at its pricepoint), I would heartily recommend it over the Civic R. That's all. I'm 19 by the way, and I had no interest in cars before the age of 18, when I bought myself a CL.

Interesting you mention reliability. I completely agree. One of the things that irritates me most about auto journalists is that they never take into account what the car is going to be like a year or two down the road unless they do a long-term test on it.

They constantly compare two cars and reliability has no bearing on their choice. They live and write their articles in a vacuum that certainly exists outside reality.

I keep that in mind when I argue about a car review. The GTI is a better car for day to day enjoyment in a driver's sense ... but to own one? I don't think I'd purchase either of them. The Type R is too impractical and the GTI too unreliable.

However the GTI is being made in Germany again so perhaps that will help it.

Good points though.

gavriil 02-22-2005 03:02 PM

Souped-up 168bhp diesel Golf coming - - Source: Autocar

Volkswagen is preparing a new performance-orientated diesel Golf, the GT TDi, which should go on sale in the UK before the end of the year. The new car runs a high-tech version of VW’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder pumpe düse turbodiesel engine modified to run piezo injectors (which mix fuel and air more efficiently).

With 168bhp and 258lb ft of torque, the new unit is claimed to push the Golf from zero to 60mph in 7.5sec and on to a top speed of 143mph. Plans to give the GT TDi the same styling package as the GTi, including the distinctive honeycomb grille, have apparently been canned. Instead, the new model should get its own go-faster styling.

VW has also released details of the four-wheel drive Golf 4Motion. Available with either 138bhp 2.0-litre TDI diesel or 148bhp 2.0-litre FSI petrol power. The 4Motion uses the same Haldex four-wheel-drive system system as the last Golf, as will the forthcoming high-performance R32. It normally puts 90 per cent of power through the front wheels, but can put up to 100 per cent to the back wheels.

The 4Motion joins the range in April, for a premium of around £1000.

Crazy Bimmer 02-22-2005 03:54 PM

What is VW thinking? They trying to kill the A3 sales?

gavriil 02-22-2005 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
What is VW thinking? They trying to kill the A3 sales?

They dont care about the A3 as much as they do about the Golf. That's bread and butter for them in Europe and elsewhere. It's like the Camry or Accord for us here.

Plus the Audi buyer is a very different type of buyer in Europe.

gavriil 07-20-2005 11:14 PM

Golf R3x News **R34 Spied and Info - R36 Rumored (page 1)**

http://assets.in.gr/dgenesis/assets/...tity_43680.jpg

http://assets.in.gr/dgenesis/assets/...tity_43679.jpg

http://assets.in.gr/dgenesis/assets/...tity_43681.jpg

Translating (paraphrasing) from the article:

The R32's successor will be called R34 and it's already spent a lot of time testing at the N'Ring. The R34 will wear a 3.4L V6 making 270HP. Top speed will be 245 k/h and it will be equipped with VW's AWD 4motion system. There will be two transmissions. A manual and an automatic.

Exterior changes from the GTI will be revised front and rear bumpers and the dual exhaust. The R34 will be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September.

Rumors call for an even more powerful version of the Golf, the R36, which would produce 290HP.

Source: www.in.gr/auto

gavriil 07-20-2005 11:16 PM

Look at that low low suspension setting!

If the above is true, I dont understand why VW would make two versions of the R3x Golf when there is only 20HP of a difference. I wonder what else could be different for the R36.

Crazy Bimmer 07-21-2005 12:16 AM

I think hes low cuz of the weight transfer on that side from the turn. Look at the size of the brakes though.

gavriil 07-21-2005 12:25 AM

I just noticed the dual, dual exhaust :)

srika 07-21-2005 02:27 AM

mad tyte yo!

Professor Gascan 07-21-2005 09:48 AM

There won't be an R34. VW does not have a 3.4L version of the VR6, only a 3.2L and a 3.6L. The MKV R32 will be shown in Frankfurt with a 3.2L FSI VR6 putting out 250hp with 4 motion. It will be a Europe only car. Somewhere further down the line, North America will get an R36 with the 3.6L FSI VR6 pushing out 300hp.

TL CHROMETIDE 07-21-2005 01:24 PM

I just noticed the dual, dual exhaust :)

Yeah me too, whats with that?

Professor Gascan 07-21-2005 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
Yeah me too, whats with that?

The set in the middle are the actual muffler tips, the ones to the left hand side are decoys to throw off anyone looking at the car.

Weck 07-21-2005 08:35 PM

... all for the low, low price of $45K Cdn. Come on Volks, where's the GTi that we all love - low cost, high 'fun-to-drive' quotient. Why oh why do automakers want to be all things to all customers? Audi is selling essentially same vehicle - this thing gonna steal/lose volume against the A3.

gavriil 07-22-2005 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Professor Gascan
There won't be an R34. VW does not have a 3.4L version of the VR6, only a 3.2L and a 3.6L. The MKV R32 will be shown in Frankfurt with a 3.2L FSI VR6 putting out 250hp with 4 motion. It will be a Europe only car. Somewhere further down the line, North America will get an R36 with the 3.6L FSI VR6 pushing out 300hp.

The above were the rumors I knew of until this article came along. We'll know in a month.

aaronnn 07-23-2005 12:09 AM

sucks we only had the R32 for one year. and most of the ones i saw were riced out. cant wait til these come out on production. i thought the commercial (from some foreign country) was pretty funny for the upcoming Golf.. but it did look good.

MQMH_03 07-25-2005 03:26 PM

Doesn't loook half bad...i actually like the current r32 in blue a lot!

MattT516 07-25-2005 04:28 PM

Absolutely hideous. The rear end makes it look like a Smart car.

Beltfed 08-09-2005 10:15 PM

New R32

"Volkswagen AG has released the first official information on the new Golf R32 for the German/European market. The immediate question that will come to North American enthusiasts minds is why another 3.2l VR6? The 3.2l VR6 in this latest generation R32 now has fuel stratisfied injection (FSI) technology and now outputs 250hp more efficiently and with better economy. 250hp is more than adequate for the hot hatch market competition in Europe. Here in North America though the R32 Golf would face competition in the form of the Subaru WRX STI and Mitsubishi Evolution which push the 300hp boundries in power.

For that reason the current rumors for the U.S. market indicate Volkswagen is instead working on a 300hp version of the new 3.6l VR6 FSI for an "R36" model. Right now the Golf R36 is currently being planned, but there are discussions about creating an R36 Jetta this time around. If you'd like to see a Jetta R36 in addition to a Golf R36 for the U.S. market be sure and chime in with your opinion at the end of this story in our forums."

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/r32_01.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/r32_02.jpg

Wolfsburg, 09 August 2005 - It was the most powerful Golf ever. The Golf R32 powered by a 177 kW (241 bhp) engine was first launched in August 2002. Not only was it one of the hottest cars on the road, it also sold like hot cakes: three times as many R32's were sold than originally planned. These are excellent prospects for its successor.

Now comes a new R32 based on the Golf V generation. This time it packs 184 kW (250 bhp) under the bonnet; the permanent 4MOTION four-wheel drive again promises excellent roadholding. The new model will see its world premiere at the 59th Frankfurt Motor Show (15 to 25 September). Presales in Germany start on 19 August. Market launch will be at the end of September. Prices for the new Golf R32 start at €32,200.

From the outside, the best Golf ever is not only recognisable by the R32 logo. Similar to its predecessor, the new top Golf has a design and equipment all of its own. The Golf R32 has a top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph) and comes either with a 6-speed manual gearbox or the optional dual clutch gearbox (DSG). Equipped with the DSG the "R32" is even faster: 6.2 instead 6.5 seconds from 0-100 km/h. Despite all this, the model is unusually easy to handle.

From the front, the new R32 generation is immediately recognisable by its unique aluminium-effect shield-shaped radiator grille. At the top of the grille are double aluminium cross struts. Under the number plate there is another central air scoop for the powerful 3.2-litre V6 engine. Two more large openings on each side of the shield-shaped radiator grille are intended for fresh air supply. As opposed to all other Golfs, there are air ducts at the bottom and on either side of the fully painted front bumper. The lines of the air duct continue into the side skirt all the way along to the rear bumper.

The rear of the Golf R32 is also designed as a fully painted bumper. Only the middle section in the shape of a diffuser is in black. The two round tailpipes made of polished stainless steel are placed centrally next to each other and are integrated prominently in the rear bumper. A glance at the outline of the Golf R32 shows the 18-inch light-alloy wheels (type "Zolder“). They are fitted with 20 spokes and continue the design theme of the first R32 wheel. The spokes still allow glimpses of what lies behind them: brake calipers painted blue. They come with 345 mm (13.6 inch) (diameter) discs at the front and 310 mm (12.2 inch) at the rear.

The 225/40 tyres bear the Y-pattern tread for high-speed tyres up to 300 km/h. A large-size rear spoiler makes sure that the rear wheels stay firmly on the road. The fact that the wheel-tyre combination sits snugly in the wheel housings is partly due to the 18-inch wheel size but also to the specially tuned sports running gear that is lower by 20 millimetres (.78 inch).

The sporty concept of the Golf R32 is a theme that permeates the entire vehicle. Take the interior, for example. There are distinctive instruments, sports seats, pedals in aluminium look and special applications that emphasise the sporty nature of the Golf. The sports steering wheel, with perforated leather along the grip area, and the R32 gear shift knob lie firmly in the hand.

As opposed to the more purist style of the Golf GTI, the R32 top model boasts a dazzling array of standard equipment at no extra price, such as automatic air conditioning (Climatronic), the RCD 300 audio system with ten loudspeakers, anti-theft alarm system plus, multifunction display, automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror, rain sensor, tyre pressure monitor and the complete safety programme comprising six airbags, ESP and brake assistant. The standard bi-xenon headlights light up the night like day.

The Golf range: The Golf tops the new registration statistics in Europe. Not only that: no other car in this segment offers so many different engines. With the introduction of the Golf R32 the model range now stretches from 55 kW (75 bhp) to 184 kW (250 bhp). Including the R32-V6, there are ten engines on offer – six petrol and four diesel. This year two more interesting engines will be added to the Golf range. The Golf remains an exciting car to watch.
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/r32_03.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/r32_04.jpg

Source: VWVortex.