Volkswagen: Golf News

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Next-gen Golf to arrive as 2010 Rabbit in U.S. in Sep ‘09

when the redesigned volkswagen golf debuted in august, the question on the mind of most american vw fans was, “when will we get it?” the answer —september 2009. Both the standard issue rabbit and the high-performance gti model will arrive then, volkswagen has confirmed.

volkswagen will begin producing the new u.s.-spec models in late june, according to edmunds. European customers can already purchase the new golf, but the gti won’t arrive at dealerships until some time in the summer. That means americans are a year behind in getting the base model, but will be pretty much in line with the rest of the world when it comes to the hotter gti.

That makes perfect sense, considering americans have an appetite for gtis. According to vw, 15,000 of the 42,000 rabbits sold in north america in 2007 were gti models. U.s. Pricing is expected to go up slightly, but probably not more than $250.

The entry-level rabbit will continue to ship with a 2.5-liter five-cylinder mill, while the gti will get a 2.0-liter tfsi. A new 2.0-liter tdi diesel will join the lineup, and a 1.8 liter tfsi could be added if market conditions warrant it. North american gtis are expected to come standard with adaptive cruise control, adaptive suspension, and 19-inch wheels.

Other models expected to join the rabbit lineup include a rabbit 4motion, a gti-r, a twindrive hybrid model, and an lpg natural gas version.
lln
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Only about 2 more years of TSX for me.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post VW reveals Golf VI TwinDrive plug-in hybrid prototype

From WCF...

The Golf TwinDrive project first introduced in July 2008 using the previous Golf V generation has been fitted to the new sixth generation Golf. Sponsored by the German government with double-digit millions, the research project aims to test the efficient use of renewable energy sources (wind, water and solar power) in transportation with 20 test vehicles using VW's next generation plug-in hybrid TwinDrive technology.

Capable of producing 176 hp (130 kW), the Golf TwinDrive uses an intelligent operating system which always chooses the optimal operating mode - individually tailored to the specific route and situation, so it always offers the most efficient combination of electric motor and combustion engine. Unlike typical hybrid drive systems which have an electric motor supplementing a combustion engine, "the exact opposite is true on the TwinDrive: here the diesel or gasoline engine supplements the E-motor," according to Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn. The TwinDrive places emphasis on a long range E-motor capable of 50 kilometers for city driving, while the combustion engine is for long range use.

No specific fuel efficiency figures have been provided yet, but VW gave an example of driving from Potsdam to the "Automobile Forum" in downtown Berlin and back - averaged over 100 kilometers - the Golf TwinDrive consumed just eight kilowatt-hours of electricity and 2.5 liters of fuel.

With Berlin test trials set to begin in 2009, VW expects to present initial vehicles as early as 2010.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
VW has electrical gremlins with its regular cars and now this? I wouldn't touch this for at least 2-3 years.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
VW has electrical gremlins with its regular cars and now this? I wouldn't touch this for at least 2-3 years.
Not with these past generations. I know I've only driven my car for just over 12k, but it's been very reliable :knockonwood:. Another member here, stangg17, has owned 2 rabbits, and neither has had any really major issues. The only issue I've had was a recall (intake runner flap was stuck open). Most magazines doing long term tests have proven the long-term reliability as well. The last review I read (granted it was an A3 2.0T w/ DSG), but same drivetrain as mine, claimed that they had gone 55,000 miles plus without ANY issues.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Race Director

^^individual experiences don't mean much. Look at the big numbers and VW reliability is still fairly low (tho getting better) compared to a Honda for example.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Of all the cars I work on, VWs and BMWs tend to be the ones with the most Christmas lights on.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

VW to offer 4MOTION AWD on diesel-powered Golf

volkswagen recently launched the sixth-generation of its popular golf hatchback, and now comes word from the german automaker that the new model will be available with the company’s 4motion all-wheel drive system.

Although vw mostly uses its 4motion system on performance-minded models – such as the r32 – the only ‘pedestrian’ golf slated to get the awd option will be the diesel-powered golf 2.0 tdi. Vw says there just isn’t sufficient demand to warrant offering 4motion on other golf models, but the combination of awd and diesel power should give buyers a highly-efficient all-weather car.

The awd oil burner will produce 140 horsepower, sending that power to all four wheels via a six-speed manual transmission. The 0-60 sprint will be dealt with in 9.5 seconds, with the golf 4motion tdi reaching a terminal velocity of 128 mph.

Vw is keeping mum about north american availability, but, as there are no current plans to bring the diesel-powered golf to this side of the atlantic, we don’t foresee the north american golf losing its front-wheel drive roots anytime soon.
lln
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

GTI R20 Details Emerge...(formerly R32)

Word broke last year that Volkswagen was planning a proper replacement for its now-extinct R32 hot hatch, and more details on the R32 replacement hit the web Monday. Internally dubbed the VW Golf R Series Turbo, VW’s newest hot hatch promises to take the concept of the R32 even further.

Although the R32 packed an impressive stat sheet – including a 3.2L V6 and all-wheel drive – the car’s modest 250 horsepower an added weight never made it the all-out performance machine fans were hoping for. In fact, the R32’s performance wasn’t all that much better than the GTI’s, making the added price hard to rationalize. However, VW will remedy that situation in the new Golf.

According to Car and Driver, VW is readying a Golf R Series Turbo, which will likely wear the R20 Turbo nameplate in production form. As the name implies, the R20 Turbo will be powered by a version of the GTI’s turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder.

However, the R20 will see a significant bump in power over the GTI, and even over the last-generation R32. Expect 270 horsepower to be on tap, with power being sent to all four wheels via either a six-speed manual or DSG semi-automatic gearbox. The run to 60 mph should be dealt with in the 5 to 5.5 second range, with a top end limited to 155 mph.

Visually, a more aggressive front end, a rear spoiler and center-mounted exhaust will set the R20 apart from lesser GTIs. The R20 is expected to be offered in three- and five-door body styles, so the upcoming hatch will offer performance and versatility.

Although the R20 offers a lot to get excited about, we haven’t even mentioned the best part – it will be available in the United States. The Euro-spec R20 is expected to make its debut this May, with the U.S. car likely to surface at November’s Los Angeles Auto Show. Expect sales to start later this year or in early 2010.
LLN
Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
^^individual experiences don't mean much. Look at the big numbers and VW reliability is still fairly low (tho getting better) compared to a Honda for example.
i know 7 people with 06 or newer VWs, and only one has had issues (water pump failure 06 passat). I think individual experiences are very much important since they make up the average And you should look at honda and toyota problems as of late...
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
LLN

new challenge for the aftermarket?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
LLN
oh damn!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by stangg172004

new challenge for the aftermarket?
It's gonna be a beast!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

More info about the R20...

With the Volkswagen R32 only boasting 250 horsepower, it seems the company's hot hatch is starting to cool off in light of newer offering by competitors but VW will soon rectify the situation by bringing the Golf R20 to the United States.

Unlike today's R32, the new R20 will feature Volkswagen's 2.0-liter turbocharged engine with direct injection which will be tuned to produce 270 horsepower. This should enable the R20 to post a 0-60 mph time in the low to mid five second range and reach an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

The exterior will carry over many of the new GTI's styling traits but should also include more aggressive front and rear ends and a center mounted dual exhaust. Initially the R20 will be offered only in three-door hatchback form but a five-door model could eventually be offered down the road.

Volkswagen will officially debut the new Golf R20 on May 21 at the ADAC 24-hour race at Germany's Nürburgring racing circuit and European sales will start later this year
Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by stangg172004
i know 7 people with 06 or newer VWs, and only one has had issues (water pump failure 06 passat). I think individual experiences are very much important since they make up the average And you should look at honda and toyota problems as of late...
7 people do not an average make and since reliability is always looking backwards it's hard to tell what's going on currently. Again, you have to look at the big picture - US wide stats still show VW below Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. Yes, they are much better than years past but we won't know if they've cought up to the leaders for another few years.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
^

7 people? lol
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

7 people do not an average make and since reliability is always looking backwards it's hard to tell what's going on currently. Again, you have to look at the big picture - US wide stats still show VW below Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. Yes, they are much better than years past but we won't know if they've cought up to the leaders for another few years.
Bottom line: VW has openly stated they want quality & reliability a priority as they push for more market share in the U.S.

...and that is a good thing.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm a llama :(

I want an R20! Doesn't have the same ring as R32 though.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM
_____ like a rabbit

my point wasnt that 7 makes up the average. my point was show how many people i know that have the most current generation of their cars ie how many people do you know with the most current camry, accord, jetta, mazda 6 etc etc. I meant that i know 7 people with current generation VW models, 5 being MKV rabbit, gti, rabbits and 2 B6 passats. Thats not including local VW clubs that meet up and talk about w/e problems they are having. Most talk has to do with after market install not oem problems. And your last point seems flawed. To the general public, yes, it will take time for them to realize a change in quality. But we are privileged in that we have an interest in cars and follow these things. How many times have we seen recent toyota or honda problems? Im not at all saying its any where near as bad as VW was in the past, but i do have to say that the ground is level now and given toyotas current ambitious market share goals, VW will only get better.

I honestly believe VWs are very well designed and engineered, much better then its Japanese competitors, so much so that thats probably their biggest problem. If you looks at technical drawings, youll see very complicated sub assemblies from a simple econobox golf, you'll see sensors up the ass left and right (famous check engine culprit) . To be fair, this gap has been lessened by globalization and most companies now make cars in the same manner using parts from common suppliers. What it comes down to is the quality of those parts and their installation.

omg i sound like a vw whore!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Advanced

it is well known that audi/vw/bmw/merc all have relatively poor reliability ratings. I don't remember where I read but many ppl lease bmw's and mercs so when the warranty expires (or b4 then) they surrender and get a new one. I really like this upcoming R series and will probably lease one myself. I am a huge fan of turbo+awd cars.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by datnvan
it is well known that audi/vw/bmw/merc all have relatively poor reliability ratings. I don't remember where I read but many ppl lease bmw's and mercs so when the warranty expires (or b4 then) they surrender and get a new one. I really like this upcoming R series and will probably lease one myself. I am a huge fan of turbo+awd cars.
BMW, VW......all have no fee maintenance...combined with the warranty, they are pushing for better "peace of mind" when it comes to reliability and cost of ownership.

My last 2 cars have been German.....both very reliable...and drive like a dream.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Leaked MkVI GTI Pics

Volkswagen unveiled its sixth-generation Golf/Rabbit last year, but most enthusiasts are still waiting for news on the next-generation GTI. VW unveiled a thinly-veiled concept of the GTI late last year, but a series of leaked images have officially given up the goods.

Following in the tradition of past GTI models, the performance version of the sixth-generation car will not look radically different from the standard car. That being said, larger wheels and tires, a lowered suspension and a few GTI-specific parts will be part of the equation. A red grille surround will also signify that the GTI treatment.

Sources are saying that the new GTI will be powered by a 210-horsepower, 258lb-ft of torque, 2-liter turbo. VW’s six-speed DSG transmission will be available on the GTI, as will a six-speed manual.

Early reports suggest the next-gen GTI will hit 62 mph in 7.2 seconds, and will also boast a top speed of nearly 150 mph. However, the GTI will return more than 30 mpg on the European cycle.

In order to ensure the GTI is an all-around performer, expected the hot hatch to come equipped DCC adaptive damping and an XDS electronic differential.

The VW GTI is expected to make its official debut in the coming months, with European sales starting later this year. U.S. buyers will have to wait slightly longer.
LLN

Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
not much of a change interior wise...almost seems like they went and did a ford with the mustang. changed it around just enough to where it looks up to date but left everything else the same

I like it though
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I'd so rock a 5-door version of that car!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
not much of a change interior wise...almost seems like they went and did a ford with the mustang. changed it around just enough to where it looks up to date but left everything else the same

I like it though
The actually changed quite a bit: New door panels, new seats, new gauge cluster, revised center console (deleted the "oh sh*t handles :thumbsdow )
new a/c controls, red stitching on the steering wheel , and from all reviews, the already top quality interior materials moved even more up-market.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Last time we had a previous-than-current gen Jetta at school, somebody tried to pull out the dipstick (can't remember if it was for oil or tranny fluid) and the tube that the dipstick went into came right out along with it I don't know if new VWs are like that, but plastic dipstick tubes are not such a good idea....

Still.... this new R20 looks hot! I've been saying this all the time.... they needed to offer the turbo I-4 in the R32 or turbocharge the VR6. Maybe I should work at VW....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I'd so rock a 5-door version of that car!

258 FTW.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Rumors: Golf VII?

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/215...dy-on-its-way/

Not long after returning from the Australian preview of the brand-spankers-new Golf VI, I noticed one curious piece of news that popped up on the interwebs overnight.

According to Brit-mag Auto Express, the seventh-generation Golf will be landing in Volkswagen showrooms sometime in 2012 - barely three years after the introduction of the Mk VI.

As is tradition, styling will be unmistakeably Golf; however mechanically and structurally the Mk VII is expected to usher in a number of radical changes for the volume-selling VeeDub. A hybrid drivetrain is the biggest, with VW’s Twin Drive tech likely to make its production debut in the Golf VII.

Using a fuel-sipping 1.5 litre diesel engine mated to three electric drive motors, the hybrid Golf will reportedly feature an electric-only mode for low speed crawls and also ship with a plug-in charging system for the onboard batteries.

The product of all this is a car that’ll return an astounding 2.08 l/100km (113mpg) on the combined cycle.

Volkswagen Golf VII rendering

A compression-ignition petrol motor is also rumoured to be on the cards for the new Golf, with the sparkplug-less motor supposedly combining the economy of a diesel with the performance of a petrol.

The HCCI engine, as it’s being called, may also see use as an onboard generator for an all-electric driveline, thanks to its preference to run at a constant rpm.

Performance models such as the GTI as well as the torquey diesel variants may also benefit from a seventh ratio added to VW’s ubiquitous twin-clutch DSG gearbox, which is currently limited to just six gears when paired to the gruntier engines. Weight will also be shed with the next-gen Golf, improving fuel economy even further when combined with a range of smaller, thriftier motors.

Styling is a mystery, but Auto Express believes their rendering provides a good idea of where Volkswagen’s design team may take the humble Golf.

It’s pretty, sure, but considering the time and effort VW recently spent improving on the Golf V with the box-fresh VI, it almost seems counter-productive to introduce an all-new model so soon.

We’ve yet to hear any official word from Volkswagen on the Golf VII, but we’ll be keeping our ears to the wall on this one. Stay tuned.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Thankfully those are somebody's renderings of what it might look like.

The specs however for each of the drivetrains are STUNNING!!!

Hybrid w/ 113 mpg?!?!?

A compression-ignition petrol motor?!?!?

That's light years ahead technology!!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Thankfully those are somebody's renderings of what it might look like.

The specs however for each of the drivetrains are STUNNING!!!

Hybrid w/ 113 mpg?!?!?

A compression-ignition petrol motor?!?!?

That's light years ahead technology!!
i wonder what the CR is
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by invisiblewar

I like it though
its actually very different

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
The actually changed quite a bit: New door panels, new seats, new gauge cluster, revised center console (deleted the "oh sh*t handles :thumbsdow )
new a/c controls, red stitching on the steering wheel , and from all reviews, the already top quality interior materials moved even more up-market.
Nothing about the interior of my car that I don't like...
Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
oh shit i see it now...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Nothing about the interior of my car that I don't like...
I love my interior....very classy and well built.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 AM

I love my interior....very classy and well built.
chalk another one up, i agree as well.

But the new interior looks fantastic, I can see improvement on an already good interior. One thing I am going to miss when I do get my next GTI (probably the MK7) is the blue gauges; I LOVE the blue and red scheme.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 02-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Would this thinking be correct:

If I want a current gen GTI I should wait until September for the new ones to be introduced because dealers will be trying to get rid of the remaining stock that they have and I could get a really good deal on one?

Right now by where I live they sell for about $20,000 with around 10,000 miles on them.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
Would this thinking be correct:

If I want a current gen GTI I should wait until September for the new ones to be introduced because dealers will be trying to get rid of the remaining stock that they have and I could get a really good deal on one?

Right now by where I live they sell for about $20,000 with around 10,000 miles on them.
It might be best to get in May or June. When I bought my 2007, I waited until the 2008s were out, and I got one of the very last bare bone base models with DSG as the only option. It was almost too late. The 2008s were out by late July or August.

?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'd buy in early summer.....but then again it's a buyers market....but then again the GTI's sell very well.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Golf News