Volkswagen: Golf News

Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like the golf.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
...and as soon as the exchange rate gets better (by next year) they'll change their minds again....
Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Pretty lame of them not to offer the manual at least here in the US on the Mk 5 R32 anyway. I love the Mk 4 and the R32 VR6 is one of the best sounding V6s ever.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh crap. I wanted one of the next gen ones since I didnt end up getting the GTI =[
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
101 years of heartache...

I think the Golf/Rabbit is much better than the Civic. But I'm biased I guess.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
that's interesting. I thought the Golf was doing well.
VW NA is a mess. Why go BACK to Rabbit again if it wasn't working the first time?

I hate marketing.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Volkswagen unveils Golf Twin Drive plug-in hybrid protot

Volkswagen unveils Golf Twin Drive plug-in hybrid prototype

Volkswagen on Thursday unveiled a Golf Twin Drive in its home-country of Germany, which is the company’s first plug-in hybrid capable of driving up to 30 miles on electricity alone. The electric motor is rated at 82 horsepower, and when its energy is spent, a 122hp 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine kicks in to extend the range.

The usual tricks to extend the battery life are accounted for, including an engine shutdown system when stopped and regenerative brakes. On electricity alone, the Golf can reach a top speed of about 75 mph, as per Motor Authority reports. Supplying its energy are lithium-ion batteries, that feature a fast-charging capability from a household power outlet.

VW will launch a fleet of 20 Twin Drive Golfs in Germany for the government’s use, to research the zero-emissions vehicle. To help it make the claim, the electricity needed to recharge the Twin Drive’s batteries will be generated by wind and hydro generating stations.
leftlanenews

Now that's a hybrid...elec/diesel/plug-in
Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
cool.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Put it to market now.....they won't be able to keep them on the lots...and they will have a 5k mark-up too.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
^ Yep. Its the new trend now.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Merged.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Advanced

New Official VW Golf VI Pictures

Just found this on Autoblog....I think it looks really nice--lots of Scirocco styling touches. And the interior is a vast improvement. VW will officially release more pictures later this week, so hopefully we can see the new GTI.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/03/v...d-a-bit-early/

Of course, it will be quite a bit before we see this generation on this side of the pond.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

If VW would only make their cars reliable. They'd do as well here as they do in the rest of the world.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Advanced

They are trying to make themselves sound more reliable, such as implementing a BMW-like "everything included for free" service plan, but what they actually did is shorten the warranty from four years to three years, and then jack the price of all their cars way up. It will probably backfire, because they won't get the money on repairs (which will probably exceed the price increase on the MSRP), and still people won't buy them because they are unreliable.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
If VW would only make their cars reliable. They'd do as well here as they do in the rest of the world.
they just hit third in sales, they are obviously plenty reliable. People wouldnt buy them if they werent

and it looks more like a MKV.5, too different to be a MKV but not different enough to be a MKVI...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
the new one looks very vanila....
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by stangg172004
they just hit third in sales, they are obviously plenty reliable. People wouldnt buy them if they werent

and it looks more like a MKV.5, too different to be a MKV but not different enough to be a MKVI...
I know they just did, I think I posted it.

It doesn't matter what or why people buy them in Europe or wherever ... In the US the cars are not as good as Hondas or Toyotas. They aren't as good as Mazdas or Nissans either.

With gas at around $4 and people running around waving their hands in the air screaming and driving their SUVs into the bay, VW needs to improve their reliability HERE if they ever want to consider being #2 ... They sold 300k cars last year in the US across the entire line. Toyota does that in six weeks.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

Both the hatch and 5-door look very bland. If I didn't know better I would have thought this was an outgoing model. The awfulness of the rear facade deserves a trophy for Least Inspired of All Time and the front couldn't be less interesting.

I don't care for the design of the new TSX but if making a car look new is really that difficult then maybe I've been too hard on the Acura design studio.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
_____ like a rabbit

I know they just did, I think I posted it.

It doesn't matter what or why people buy them in Europe or wherever ... In the US the cars are not as good as Hondas or Toyotas. They aren't as good as Mazdas or Nissans either.

With gas at around $4 and people running around waving their hands in the air screaming and driving their SUVs into the bay, VW needs to improve their reliability HERE if they ever want to consider being #2 ... They sold 300k cars last year in the US across the entire line. Toyota does that in six weeks.

and Toyota's recent quality woes reflects that large number of sales/production. I have three VWs in my family and i have friends and family with them, only one person has had any issues (alternator kept going bad). These MKVs are leaps and bounds better then the older MKIVs which were, admittedly, rolling crap! I think people need to think a little more critically, people indeed would not buy a car that is as bad as most people think VWs are. One of my good buddies, and member on this board, i consider to be the most involved consumer, goes to all lengths to learn everything about whatever hes buying and makes sure its the best or at least damn near the best in its segment. He bought an 07 GTi last year. I know this means nothing to you guys but to me that speaks tons and tons to how changed VW is. Sure they have problems, no car company is problem free. Every car is gonna have something wrong with it, even the king of quality toyota ( as is evident by recent articles posted on here) or honda (remember the massive tranny recall?). why can toyota sell 300k cars in six weeks? cause people still think they are the king or quality and reliability. Why do people, like most members here, kick VW to curb when it comes it reliability credibility? cause people still think they are the same as the previous generation, they arent.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

meh..people who scream and rant about poor reliability.

My MINI was bullet-proof pretty much...and yet people screamed about BMW's poor reliability.

No troubles here with the MkV.

Irony: My Acura was the most unreliable car I have evar owned.

So much for perceived reliability.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:12 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
meh..people who scream and rant about poor reliability.

My MINI was bullet-proof pretty much...and yet people screamed about BMW's poor reliability.

No troubles here with the MkV.

Irony: My Acura was the most unreliable car I have evar owned.

So much for perceived reliability.
my point exactly, it all comes down to how people perceive a company. When it comes to cases like VW, its obvious that people are lazy and dont actually do any research. There bad rep is all based on hearsay which is just plain stupid...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

my point exactly, it all comes down to how people perceive a company. When it comes to cases like VW, its obvious that people are lazy and dont actually do any research. There bad rep is all based on hearsay which is just plain stupid...
I wouldn't call it completely hearsay, they have had some issues no doubt...but so does every car company.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Moto Enthusiast

^^Agreed. In addition, people who've experienced poor reliability tend to voice their problems more readily as well. You don't really hear too much from folks when things go well, but when something goes wrong, it's a shit storm.

As for the MKVI, Golf, Rabbit, whatever... I like the MKVI much better than the current Rabbit, but I like the MKV GTI a whole lot better than this new design. But then again, VW hasn't shown us what the MKVI GTI looks like.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

I was under the impression that German cars cost more to fix in addition to requiring repairs more often. Back in the day you had to take your German car to a special euro-car repair shop what stocked all the goofy euro car parts and were experienced with them. Is that still the case?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
how handsome I am

I want an MK6 gti... in 3 years... i'll slap that puppy on my list for sure
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by wackura
I was under the impression that German cars cost more to fix in addition to requiring repairs more often. Back in the day you had to take your German car to a special euro-car repair shop what stocked all the goofy euro car parts and were experienced with them. Is that still the case?
BMW and now VW have free maintenance.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by taitando
^^Agreed. In addition, people who've experienced poor reliability tend to voice their problems more readily as well. You don't really hear too much from folks when things go well, but when something goes wrong, it's a shit storm.

As for the MKVI, Golf, Rabbit, whatever... I like the MKVI much better than the current Rabbit, but I like the MKV GTI a whole lot better than this new design. But then again, VW hasn't shown us what the MKVI GTI looks like.
yeah and thats why i made the point taht people dont think critically about these things. of course, if nothings wrong with my car, im not gonna voice myself. but if i was having problems and i invest thousands of dollars i would be, indeed, starting a shit storm. people just dont think...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by wackura
that used to be the case but current US spec VWs us parts that could be found in the US through non oem parts manufacturers. Thats not the case in other countries. I know Philippine Spec and maybe all Asian Spec GTIs use different bulbs sizes for example...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I don't remember how much it was, but tire rotation + new pads on my sis-in-law's 2003 Cooper S JCW, if that counts, cost way more than it would have on my car, which involves a an extra tool/steps to remove the rear pads (piston compressor tool) and has much larger tires.

Also, the window regulators (there are only 2) crapped out 3 times on her JCW in the 1.5 years that she's owned it. There was some other problem that cost around $300 to fix too, out of pocket and not regular maintenance.

My cousin's 01 X5 has also had more problems than I can count on one hand. Its not hearsay... I've driven his X5 many times and was even there with him when it wouldn't start one day. It took an ASE-certified electrical tech a couple of days to figure out the problem.

So YES, the maintenance does cost more, but YMMV. Nonetheless, every time I sit in a VW new or old it just implies a sense of well-builtness. Everything seems buttoned down, its hard to describe. Doesn't change the fact that they're a PITA to work on, but I still like them. I don't know anyone with a stock VW well enough so I'm not sure about their reliability.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
BMW and now VW have free maintenance.
Our Audi has free maintenance as well...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Do you think JD Power just hangs out at Starbucks and waits to overhear people bitching about their car and then marks it down?

Sheesh.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts

Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Pro

Do you think JD Power just hangs out at Starbucks and waits to overhear people bitching about their car and then marks it down?

Sheesh.
It could be because I'm tired, but I literally laughed out loud at that. I think my co-workers think I'm crazy anyway.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Sheesh.
JD power conducts surveys and tries to guess how a new customer will react to products. We all know the credibility surveys get, they can be very unreliable and are always biased. So i dont see what you mean.

But....
PRESS RELEASE

The Best Golf of All Times

Wolfsburg, 05 August 2008 - Golf's high levels of value and comfort nullify class distinctions

* New Golf design points the way to Volkswagen's future
* TDI, TSI and DSG systems improve fuel economy by up to 28 percent
* First Golf with adaptive chassis and automatic distance control

Volkswagen is unveiling its most important automotive secret of the year: the new Golf. The car – Europe's most successful with more than 26 million sold – was improved in all areas. "This sixth generation of Golf cars will completely redefine the quality and comfort level of its class over broad categories, offering more customer value than ever before", says Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board at Volkswagen AG. The European market launch of the new Golf will begin in October; following in succession will be Africa, Asia, Australia and North America. The entry price for the German market is around 16,500 Euros.

Innovative power – the Golf democratizes progress

The clear and powerful design of the new Golf is showing the entire brand the way to the future. Its acoustic properties and the overall comfort of the Volkswagen tear down class distinctions. Innovative engines and transmission technologies lower fuel consumption by up to 28 percent. All gasoline and diesel engines satisfy limits of the future EU-5 standard.

Assistance systems such as "automatic distance control" (ACC), "adaptive chassis control" (DCC) and the "park steering assistant" bring additional top technologies on board the Golf. A new ESP system, with finer response over its control range, further optimized crash properties, seven airbags including knee airbag, the special head restraints (WOKS) that counteract whiplash trauma, a "seatbelt detection" feature debuting in the rear seating area of the Golf and daytime running lights – that are standard equipment – provide for a maximum level of safety.

Exterior design – Precision in a new form

The high value of the new Golf is reflected par excellence in its stylish design; all key body elements were redesigned: "We have cast the Golf's core components in a precise, new mold", explains Walter de Silva. And the Italian design chief of the German corporation emphasizes this: "The Golf is the global icon car making. So the architecture and graphic form of new model are also absolutely clear and unique." At the same time, the sixth Golf has a sportier and more distinctive appearance than any previous generation of the model series. De Silva: "It is more accentuated, more three-dimensional than its predecessor; with precisely defined lines and edges, and with finely proportioned flared surfaces and recesses." And Klaus Bischoff, Chief Designer for the Volkswagen brand, adds: "Every detail is uncompromisingly aimed at improving value."

Especially in a direct comparison of generations five and six, it becomes clear just how much the new Golf has changed. The team headed up by de Silva and Bischoff sought to crystallize out the "essential DNA" of the model series and send it on a trip to the future. These stylistic characteristics include the clear front end of the first generation and the C-pillar that was perfected in the fourth generation.

The roof section now rests – similar to the new Scirocco – on a dominant filled out shoulder section. Responsible for this is a prominent curving line that – like a muscle trained down to the last fiber – extends from the headlights back to the taillights. In its side profile, this line – which Volkswagen Design calls the "character line" – also gives the new Golf a fuller, lower stance on the road from a side perspective.

All body surfaces are generally more relaxed, more athletic. In front the new car takes up the horizontally aligned radiator grille trim strip between the headlights of the first Golf generation; the grille itself is high-gloss black. The lines of the bumper match those of the radiator grille. Beneath this is an adjacent section with another air scoop. Also arranged on a black background are the chrome light housings of the dynamically styled headlamps.

In the rear too is characterized by a dominance of horizontal lines. The taillights – very wide now – are identified among other things by an unmistakably unique night design. Stylistically – with their crystal-clear lines for the turn signal and backup lamps – they bear a resemblance to the taillights of the Touareg. Overall, the image of the new Golf – in the interplay of all of its design characteristics – is one of a significantly wider, flatter and even more high-end car.

Interior – imploding class distinctions

The car's exceptional value also applies to the newly designed interior, whose refined surfaces and features completely transform class distinctions, both to the touch and visually, especially in the cockpit area. The appearance and layout of materials and details such as brushed chrome accents and round instruments derived directly from those of the Passat CC leave the impression that one is actually sitting in a car of the next higher segment. Ergonomic properties of the car's interior were also further developed. For example, all operating controls are even easier to use. They include the control of the automatic climate control system (Climatronic) – presented for the first time on the Passat CC – and the power window controls that are now located further forward in the door trim, making them easier to access.

There is a common thread here: Volkswagen's typical attention to perfection of every detail in the car. Take the example of "seatbelt detection" in the rear: if the Golf is ordered with rear side airbags, the user can recognize on the multifunctional display in the cockpit whether the occupants have their seatbelts fastened in the rear – separately for each seat. Or take the example of leather seats: a new, more robust leather surface is being used. Or the example of the cargo area: four practical hooks ensure that after shopping, the contents of shopping bags are not strewn across the cargo area. Or the example of the outside mirrors: thanks to an aerodynamically optimized shape they get significantly less dirty. They are easier to adjust from the interior, since the power mirror adjustment control is now located further up and more forward in the door trim.

Noise reduction – the quietest Golf since the first model

The new Golf is characterized by first-class acoustic properties. A special damping film in the windshield also reduces driving noises, as does the newly developed seal concept for the doors and side window guides. The new shape of the outside mirrors also significantly reduces wind noise. Furthermore, special modifications were made to acoustically isolate the engine and passenger compartments from one another better. Very quiet rolling tires and new engine bearings round out the noise reduction package.

Diesel engines – migration to common rail injection

Making a significant contribution to the pioneering acoustic properties are the exceptionally quiet TDI common rail engines being used in the Golf for the first time. Two balancer shafts also put an end to undesirable vibrations. Plans call for a TDI power range extending from 66 kW / 90 PS to 125 kW / 170 PS. Right at the market launch, Volkswagen will be offering the Golf with two 2.0 liter TDI engines; they output 81 kW / 110 PS and 103 kW / 140 PS. Always there as production equipment: a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

The new TDIs are exceptionally fuel efficient. The 110 PS strong entry-level diesel is satisfied with 4.5 liters of fuel (119 g/km CO2) per 100 kilometers – that represents a 0.6 liter reduction! Even the 140 PS version only requires 4.9 liters of diesel (129 g/km CO2), which is 0.6 liters less.

Gasoline engines – more economical than ever before

Four variants will define the range of gasoline engines in the launch phase: 59 kW / 80 PS, 75 kW / 102 PS, 90 kW / 122 PS and 118 kW / 160 PS. Starting at 90 kW / 122 PS, the TSI engines come with supercharger and/or turbocharger. The fact is that the gasoline engines too are pioneering when it comes to fuel economy. The optimized 80 PS entry-level engine consumes just 6.4 liters of Super per hundred kilometers (149 g/km CO2) – that is 0.5 liters less than the previous model. The other TSI engines are also taking the stage as prime examples of efficiency: at 122 PS the new Golf 1.4 TSI consumes just 6.2 liters of Super (144 g/km CO2); this yields a fuel consumption advantage of 0.1 liters. Even the new 160 PS top version of the 1.4 TSI attains an excellent value at 6.3 liters. Compared to the retired 150 PS FSI, the 160 PS TSI's fuel consumption was even lowered by 1.6 liters.

DSG – replaces conventional automatic

With the exception of the entry-level versions, all gasoline and diesel engines can be paired with Volkswagen's dual clutch transmission (DSG). Depending on the engine torque, either a 6-s0eed or 7-speed DSG is used. On the Golf, the extremely efficient and agile DSG has thereby replaced the classic torque converter automatic. Just how efficient the alliance of TSI plus DSG can be is demonstrated by the average fuel consumption of the 1.4 TSI with 160 PS and 7-speed DSG: 6.0 liters (139 g/km CO2). This high-tech duo replaces the 2.0 FSI with 150 PS and 6-speed automatic. Average fuel consumption there: 8.3 liters. Savings: 2.3 liters per hundred kilometers or 28 percent – progress in its best form.
from http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php
Old 08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Moto Enthusiast

So no news about a new GTI with at least 200HP? I actually wouldn't mind if they forget about the GTI and decide to bring over the Scirocco instead.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Looks and sounds good to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

looks good, but i don't like the wheels. they look like the honda accord sedan lx wheels.

at least the ninja stars were kinda cool looking.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Very Vanila.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
that just looks like a refresh...or a veery minimal to the point of barely looking different even less so than the g-series infinitis
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
looks good, but i don't like the wheels. they look like the honda accord sedan lx wheels.

at least the ninja stars were kinda cool looking.

<---Likes the Huffs...has the Huffs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Golf News